• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(87106)

Romanorum Imperator Augustus
3 Badges
Nov 11, 2007
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
Nika! The Rise Of Modern Greece: Part I

Nika! The Rise Of Modern Greece

The_sortie_of_Messologhi_by_Theodore_Vryzakis.jpg

Table Of Contents

Prologue: The First Age Of Greece
Prologue: The Second Age Of Greece
Prologue: The Dark Age Of Greece
Prologue: The Greek Revolution
Introduction To Greece
The First Steps
The World Of The 1840's
The Coup Of 1842
The Great Feat Of Makriyannis: Part One
The Great Feat Of Makriyannis: Part Two
The Great Feat Of Makriyannis: Part Three
The Great Feat Of Makriyannis: Part Four
The Silver Age
The World Of The 1860's
The Hungry Dog Returns: Part One
The Hungry Dog Returns: Part Two
The Hungry Dog Returns: Part Three
The Hungry Dog Returns: Part Four
The Hungry Dog Returns: Part Five
The Hungry Dog Returns: Part Six
The Hungry Dog Returns: Part Seven
The Hungry Dog Returns: Part Eight
The World Of The 1870's
Greece On The World Stage: Part One
Greece On The World Stage: Part Two
The Modern Era: Part One
The Modern Era: Part Two
The Modern Era: Part Three
The Modern Era: Part Four
The Modern Era: Part Five
The Modern Era: Part Six
The End Of An Era

Heads Of State

King Otto I of All The Greeks, Grand Duke of the Morea, Lord of the Aegean, Prince of Attika, Prince of Crete, Duke of Euboea, Governor of Boetia
1831-1842

Emperor John I The Great of the Greek Empire, High King of All The Greeks, King of Bulgaria, Crown Prince of Constantinople, Grand Duke of the Morea, Lord of the Aegean, Prince of Attika, Prince of Crete, Prince of Albania, Duke of Euboea, Governor of Boetia, Baron of Macedonia, Defender of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church of Christ Pantokrator
1842-1864

Emperor Constantine I
of the Greek Empire, High King of All The Greeks, King of Bulgaria, King Of Anatolia, Crown Prince of Constantinople, Crown Prince Of Ionia, Grand Duke of the Morea, Lord of the Aegean, Prince of Attika, Prince of Crete, Prince of Albania, Duke Of Pontus, Duke of Euboea, Governor of Boetia, Governor of Smyrna, Baron of Macedonia, Count Of Lydia, Defender of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church of Christ Pantokrator
1864-1877

Emperor Charles I of the Greek Empire, High King of All The Greeks, Master Of The Mediterranean, King Of Ethiopia, King of Bulgaria, King Of Anatolia, Crown Prince of Constantinople, Crown Prince Of Ionia, Grand Duke of the Morea, Grand Duke Of Madagascar, Lord of the Aegean, Prince of Attika, Prince of Crete, Prince of Albania, Duke Of Pontus, Duke of Euboea, Governor of Boetia, Governor of Smyrna, Baron of Macedonia, Count Of Lydia, Overseer Of Tuscany And Central Italy, Defender of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church of Christ Pantokrator
1877-1896

Emperor George I of the Greek Empire, High King of All The Greeks, Master Of The Mediterranean, King Of Ethiopia, King of Bulgaria, King Of Anatolia, Crown Prince of Constantinople, Crown Prince Of Ionia, Grand Duke of the Morea, Grand Duke Of Madagascar, Lord Of Namibia, Lord of the Aegean, Prince of Attika, Prince of Crete, Prince of Albania, Prince of Oman, Duke Of Pontus, Duke of Euboea, Governor of Boetia, Governor of Smyrna, Baron of Macedonia, Baron of Ahwaz, Count Of Lydia, Overseer Of Tuscany And Central Italy, Defender of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church of Christ Pantokrator
1896-1916

Emperor Eleftherios I of the Greek Empire, High King of All The Greeks, Master Of The Mediterranean, King Of Ethiopia, King of Bulgaria, King Of Anatolia, Crown Prince of Constantinople, Crown Prince Of Ionia, Grand Duke of the Morea, Grand Duke Of Madagascar, Lord Of Namibia, Lord of the Aegean, Prince of Attika, Prince of Crete, Prince of Albania, Prince of Oman, Duke Of Pontus, Duke of Euboea, Governor of Boetia, Governor of Smyrna, Baron of Macedonia, Baron of Ahwaz, Count Of Lydia, Overseer Of Tuscany And Central Italy, Defender of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church of Christ Pantokrator
1916-1931

Emperor John II of the Greek Empire, High King of All The Greeks, Master Of The Mediterranean, King Of Ethiopia, King of Bulgaria, King Of Anatolia, Grand Minister Of The Nation, Crown Prince of Constantinople, Crown Prince Of Ionia, Grand Duke of the Morea, Grand Duke Of Madagascar, Lord Of Namibia, Lord of the Aegean, Prince of Attika, Prince of Crete, Prince of Albania, Prince of Oman, Duke Of Pontus, Duke of Euboea, Governor of Boetia, Governor of Smyrna, Baron of Macedonia, Baron of Ahwaz, Count Of Lydia, Overseer Of Tuscany And Central Italy, Defender of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church of Christ Pantokrator
1931-1947

Last edited:
Author's Note

Author's Note

Hello all, and welcome to my much anticipated third AAR. After 2 years playing Hearts of Iron 2 DD (which is an awesome game), I've finally gotten my hands on Victoria Revolutions via GamersGate. I must warn you that I am a new comer to Victoria and I'm still a bit overwhelmed, but I believe I have enough general knowledge to start an AAR.

But before you start saying that I'm too new to the game to start an AAR as a small minor, I should tell you this. I've played 2 games so far to the mid-1870's as both Belgium and a "testing game" as Greece. Both were successful and now I feel I can do an AAR.

I will warn you, that there will be very minimal cheating in this AAR. No one really cares about nofog, and most understand the use of neville for accurate treaties. But I have alloted myself use of the leadership cheat. I feel it is inaccurate to wait for a general, especially playing as a state that just won a revolution with many good generals on their side. So leaders will be very present for the Greeks.

I will also be using the money cheat only once a year, and only if my monetary situation gets extremely bad. Keep in mind, I don't like cheating, especially for AARs but I am a newcomer to a very complicated game. I should note that an occasional manpower cheat will also be used. I'll try to downplay the cheats in the writing though.

This AAR will be a history-book style with influence taken from AARs like "Sins Of The Fathers" and "Legacy Of Rome." It may continue to HOI2DD. And thanks to all who have read my previous AARs (this will be much better). Another thanks to everyone who gave me advice through pm's and the 2 threads I started in the Vic. General Forum.

This AAR will begin with a possibly lengthy prologue detailing the Greek Revolution, just to give me more time to master Victoria. I should also note that this AAR will contain alternate history events not depicted in the game, but used just for the purposes of the AAR, however none of those changes will affect gameplay itself. In any case, please read, enjoy, and comment on...

Nika!* The Rise Of Modern Greece

*Nika means victory in Greek
**After updates that contain land grabs, wars, etc. you may want to check back on the "Heads Of State" section in the first post, as titles will be added to the leaders official title/name.

Last edited:
Alright, it's up! Good luck.

And may I say: most of it looks good, and I understand, but isn't cheating for MP a little much?

This looks cool! Certainly not enough Greek AARs in any of the forums. Well, except the CK forums, but thats not really relevant...

Ooooh can't wait :D Time to free the people from the Turkish yoke! :D

Perhaps when he started to conquer the Ottoman's land, there will be voices 'Free the people from Greek yoke!' :D j/k

This AAR looks promising, especially with history-book style (which is my favourite!). Good luck playing Greece! :)

likk9922- the manpower cheat only adds a whopping 1-8 for greece in the beginning, as i expand i wont use it anymore, but lets say i want to simulate a large group of greek men/rebels joining a depleted greek army as they enter...say..thessaloniki, well, then the mp cheat fills up the army with these "rebels", i will always try to keep it reasonable

And to all....

happy-new-year.gif

Happy New Year Everyone! 2008 will hopefully bring a mass of great AARs for the forums!

I wish you all a great year!,
asd

asd21593: ...i will always try to keep it reasonable...

sounds reasonable to me ! ! :)

asd21593:
...I wish you all a great year!

aye, what he said ! ! :D

A Greek AAR. Wonderful ! !
:cool:

First Post Of 2008! Happy New Year Everyone!

Prologue: The First Age Of Greece

greek-persian-battle.jpg

Greece is often regarded as the cradle of Western civilizations. It was on that rocky land that great thinkers like Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle grew up and spread their genius throughout the land. On the rocky plains of Greece, city-states arose by the tens. Each region and island developed distinct customs and dialects, but all were united in the defense of their common land, Greece.

But the divisions of the city-states were still very hard felt. It took a massive threat to Greek sovereignty like the Persians to unite the cities of Greece. At Thermopylae, the Spartans along with thousands of other Greeks fought against all the odds and caused havoc in the gargantuan Persian Army.

And out of this colorful land came Alexander. He united Greece under one banner for the first time and spread Greek culture to the ends of the Earth. He avenged battles like Thermopylae and defeated the Persians in numerous battles. The world trembled as the Greco-Macedonian armies marched and conquered all of Persia.

alexandermen.jpg

But after Alexander died, his empire was split by civil wars, power struggles, and generals trying to form a personal empire. They became the “Diadokhi”, or successors. They split apart Alexander’s empire and made it weak again. So while Greek culture flourished, politically the Greeks were weak. And this caused them to be conquered by Rome.

During the Roman occupation, the Greeks mingled with their brother Romans often, creating a sort of Greco-Roman hybrid culture and people, although there was little difference between the two. Greece slowly became Christian-dominated. It also became one of the richest provinces, filled with trade. As the Western Roman Empire fell, the Eastern on flourished. It was the West’s choice to split the Empire in half, and they paid for it. As Odoacer marched into Rome in 476 AD, the Eastern Roman Empire initiated the Second Age Of Greece.

Last edited:
Good start! I'm waiting expectantly to see the re-forging of Byzantium ;)! Though, then again, even if you only take the provinces with a Greek population you'll have a pretty large empire...

Good luck!

Reconquer the Empire of Justinian! Seriously, good start. I've tried to play Greece before and it's almost ridiculously difficult. I’ll be definitely interested to see if you’ll be able to fulfill the Megali Idea and capture Istanbul!

thanks DerKaiser! your aars are great btw

*i hope no one minds my lengthy prologue (theres much more after this), i'm still taking the game very slowly to learn it better, and hopefully i wont have to cheat soon

EDIT: thanks TsarAlexander II, your aars are also awesome, that narrative prologue was novel-quality and funny, i cant wait for your aar to be updated again (website is cool too), it might become one of the best ever

:) asd

seems interesting....
you definitely need the (limited) cheats...
it will be very hard at the start...
just try to keep it reasonable... the bumps and twists make the AAR...
mistakes and hardships are welcome...

#subscribed :D

Looking forward to it.

Interesting!

The "cheats" seem reasonable...and saying you're inspired by the Sins of the Fathers...well. I'm very interested now, although that means you've big shoes to fill.

I am just a little pleased and amused that you choose to start with the Classical history first: establishing historical continuity for new states is always of paramount importance, especially in a 19th-century setting, and especially if the state in question is Greece.

Anyway - best of luck!

Prologue: The Second Age Of Greece

christ_mosaic.jpg

The Second Age Of Greece is one of piety, resilience, and splendor. The Eastern Roman Empire, or Byzantine Empire, was able to fend off Muslim hordes for 800 years, giving vital time for Western Europe to re-civilize. In this Age, Greece and its Second Empire (Alexander being the first), stood as the only beacon of civilization in the Western world.

Culturally this empire was Greek, politically it was Roman. All called the medieval Greeks, Romans. So battles raged against the Middle East for centuries, the Roman Empire rose and fell many times. Each century was different, just when there was a resurgence, it would decline again, and when it was about to fall, it rose. This constant rise and fall strengthened the Greek people for what was to come.

hagiasophialast.jpg

After Constantinople was sacked in 1204 by the Venetians, everyone knew that it would not rise again this time. In 1453, the Turks laid siege to Constantinople one last time. The battle raged for months but on May 29th, they entered the city, the Roman Empire had perished and Greece would be occupied for the next 400 years, until revolutionary ideas sailed across the Atlantic and the Mediterranean from America and France.

The following is taken from http://www.agiasofia.com/emperors/conpaleo.html

In the city everyone realized that the great moment had come. During Monday, May 28, some last repairs were done on the walls and the stockades, in the collapsed sections, were reinforced. In the city, while the bells of the churches rang mournfully, citizens and soldiers joined a long procession behind the holy relics brought out of the churches. Singing hymns in Greek, Italian or Catalan, Orthodox and Catholic, men, women, children, soldiers, civilians, clergy, monks and nuns, knowing that they were going to die shortly, made peace with themselves, with God and with eternity.

When the procession ended the Emperor met with his commanders and the notables of the city. In a philosophical speech he told his subjects that the end of their time had come. In essence he told them that Man had to be ready to face death when he had to fight for his faith, for his country, for his family or for his sovereign. All four reasons were now present. Furthermore, his subjects, who were the descendants of Greeks, had to emulate their great ancestors. They had to fight and sacrifice themselves without fear. They had lived in a great city and they were now going to die defending it. As for himself, he was going to die fighting for his faith, for his city and for his people. He also thanked the Italian soldiers, who had not abandoned the great city in its final moments. He still believed that the garrison could repulse the enemy. They all had to be brave, proud warriors and do their duty. He thanked all present for their contribution to the defence of the city and asked them to forgive him, if he had ever treated them without kindness. Constantine asked Guistiniani to take his beloved Anna Notara to his ship, so that she whould not fall in the hands of the enemy. Everyone knew the fate of of those who whould be alive when Turks entered in the city.

Meanwhile the great church of Saint Sophia was crowded. Thousands of people were moving towards the church. Inside, Orthodox and Catholic priests were holding mass (THE LAST CHRISTIAN SERVICE AFTER 1000 YEARS). People were singing hymns, others were openly crying, others were asking each other for forgiveness. Those who were not serving on the ramparts also went to the church, among them was seen, for a brief moment, the Emperor. People confessed and took communion. Then those who were going to fight rode or walked back to the ramparts. They prayed and chanted for the last time the "Akathistos Hymn" in front of the holy icon of "Odigitria", an icon of Virgin Mary, made by Apostole Loukas. The next day most of them whould be dead.

From the great church the Emperor rode to the Palace at Blachernae. There he asked his household to forgive him. He bade the emotionally shattered men and women farewell, left his Palace and rode away, into the night, for a last inspection of the defence positions. Then he took his battle position.

The assault began after midnight, into the 29th of May 1453. Wave after wave the attackers charged. Battle cries, accompanied by the sound of drums, trumpets and fifes, filled the air. The bells of the city churches began ringing frantically. Orders, screams and the sound of trumpets shattered the night. First came the irregulars, an unreliable, multinational crowd of Christians and Moslems, who were attracted by the opportunity of enriching themselves by looting the glorious city, the great capital of the East Roman Empire. They attacked throughout the line of fortifications and they were massacred by the tough professionals, who were fighting under the orders of Giustiniani. The battle lasted two hours and the irregulars withdrew in disorder, leaving behind an unknown number of dead and wounded.

Next came the Anatolian troops of Ishak Pasha. They tried to storm the stockades. They fought tenaciously, even desperately trying to break through the compact ranks of the defenders. The narrow area in which fighting went on helped the defenders. The could hack left and right with their maces and swords and shoot missiles onto the mass of attackers without having to aim. A group of attackers crashed through a gap and for a moment it seemed that they could enter the city. The were assaulted by the Emperor and his men and were soon slain. This second attack also failed.

But now came the Janissaries (what an irony that they were born Greek Orthodox), disciplined, professional, ruthless warriors, superbly trained, ready to die for their master, the Sultan. They assaulted the now exhausted defenders, they were pushing their way over bodies of dead and dying Moslem and Christian soldiers. With tremendous effort the Greek and Italian fighters were hitting back and continued repulsing the enemy. Then a group of enemy soldiers unexpectedly entered the city from a small sally-port called Kerkoporta, on the wall of Blachernae, where this wall joined the triple wall. Fighting broke near the small gate with the defenders trying to eliminate the intruders.

It was almost day now, the first light, before sunrise, when a shot fired from a calverin hit Giustiniani. The shot pierced his breastplate and he fell on the ground. Shaken by his wound and physically exhausted, his fighting spirit collapsed. Despite the pleas of the Emperor, who was fighting nearby, not to leave his post, the Genoese commander ordered his men to take him out of the battle-field. A Gate in the inner wall was opened for the group of Genoese soldiers, who were carrying their wounded commander, to come into the city. The soldiers who were fighting near the area saw the Gate open, their comrades carrying their leader crossing into the city, and they thought that the defence line had been broken. They all rushed through the Gate leaving the Emperor and the Greek fighters alone between the two walls. This sudden movement did not escape the attention of the Ottoman commanders. Frantic orders were issued to the troops to concentrate their attack on the weakened position. Thousands rushed to the area. The stockade was broken. The Greeks were now squeezed by crowds of Janissaries between the stockade and the wall. More Janissaries came in and many reached the inner wall.

Meanwhile more were pouring in through the Kerkoporta, where the defenders had not been able to eliminate the first intruders. Soon the first enemy flags were seen on the walls. The Emperor and his commanders were trying frantically to rally their troops and push back the enemy. It was too late. Waves of Janissaries, followed by other regular units of the Ottoman army, were crashing throught the open Gates, mixed with fleeing and slaughtered Christian soldiers. Then the Emperor, realizing that everything was lost, removed his Imperial insignia, and followed by his cousin Theophilus Palaeologus, the lord Branas, the Castilian Don Francisco of Toledo, Katakouzinos, Mathaios Sgouromalis and John Dalmatus, all seven holding their swords, charged into the sea of the enemy soldiers, hitting left and right in a final act of defiance. They were never seen again.

300px-Siege_of_Constantinople.jpg

And so as Greece plunged into a The Dark Age, Western Europe flourished, gaining much from the Greek resistance of the Arabs. Greece would linger there until revolution would come to save them.

----------------------------------------

Please go to following website to read all about the Fall Of Constantinople*
http://www.agiasofia.com/emperors/conpaleo.html
*It’s a bit biased towards Catholics and Muslims, but it describes the battle well.

Last edited:
And the Fall of Constantinople. All the touchpoints revisited...

Looking forward to the Independence.

asd21593: ...But after Alexander died, his empire was split by civil wars, power struggles, and generals trying to form a personal empire.

i remember reading about this in a Biblical prophesy ! ! :)

asd21593:
...Greece would linger there until revolution would come to save them.

a timing event, to be sure ! !

magnificent updates ! ! :cool: