• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

jordarkelf

01_TITLE_STRING
164 Badges
Jul 13, 2005
erbkaiser.nl
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Galactic Assault
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Iron Cross
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Lead and Gold
  • Legio
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Ancient Space
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
Download

The Deus Vult Improvement Pack (DVIP) is a mod that extends the base game without trying to change it too much.
DVIP began as an update of the unofficial 1.06 Improvement Packs that were discussed after Crusader Kings' patch 1.05, but has grown since then.

The intended scope of the DVIP is more or less the following:
-Historic characters at scenario start
-Historic realms and provinces at scenario start
-Edit or add events to allow cultures to change more-or-less historically (melting pots)
-Fix remaining Deus Vult bugs where possible (events, database files, CoAs)

This mod was originally based on the work compiled for CK 1.06 by Byakhiam, and would be impossible without the input of other CK: DV players.
An incomplete thanks list:
Aylo1, Bruit Bleu, Calgacus, Drachenfire, echopapa, FinnN, Hasimir Fenring, gigau, Jinnai, Joe Public, Llywelyn, Mohe, Mrdie, performer, Praetor, Rogan de Auria, tombom, Topher, Vasious, Veldmaarschalk, Walter Hawkwood
Apologies to anyone I left out.

DVIP is 'optimized' for an AI aggressiveness of Weakling (1) or Coward (2) -- I don't play with higher settings myself as it makes the AI go insane, and thus DVIP isn't tested for higher values.
You can pick any difficulty, events are scaled for it.

The DVIP is fully compatible with Crusader Kings Deus Vult with the 2.1 beta patch applied.

I do not support the use of exe hacks / hex edits for CKDV. These might or might not work, but I'm not interested in them. If CK-DV starts crashing after using one of these hacks, do not complain that DVIP is unstable.

----

For changelogs, see the Full changelogs.txt file included in the download or read through this thread (too big for this post now!).

An addon is also available in the download thread, which extends the scope of DVIP a bit.

Original location: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325867

Download

-----

DVIP FAQ

Q) What is DVIP?
A) See above. In short: DVIP is an unofficial mod that aims to make CKDV the best game it can possibly be, while staying close to the original design.

Q) How should I install DVIP?
A) Install order:
1) Crusader Kings
2) Deus Vult
3) Latest Deus Vult beta patch
4) DVIP
Optional:
5) DVIP addon
6) Optional - but highly recommended: Bopack Graphics from http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365271
7) Any other mods

Q) How can I play both DVIP and Deus Vult vanilla? How can I play both DVIP and TASS?
A1) Install Crusader Kings, Deus Vult, and the beta patch. Then make a copy of your game install folder and call it something like 'Crusader Kings DVIP', install DVIP here.
Make another copy of the original game install folder and call it 'Crusader Kings TASS', and install TASS there.
Make shortcuts to the crusaders.exe of these folders on your desktop and name them accordingly, then use these shortcuts to play the game.
A2) Use the Generic Mod Enabler to switch between the games.

Q) Who is working on DVIP?
A) DVIP is a one man project in that I ("jordarkelf") am the one who compiles and releases the DVIP. But much of the content of DVIP was suggested or written by other people from the Paradox forums. I welcome any and all suggestions in the discussion thread.

Q) What is DVIP: Wales?
A) DVIP: Wales is a port of DVIP plus Addon to Kurek's British Isles map mod. It changes the game map by adding new provinces to Wales.
DVIP: Wales is not compatible with any other scenario mods and should be installed in a new DV install.

Q) What is DVIP: Addon? What is "More Kingdoms"?
A) DVIP: More Kingdoms was a small addon for DVIP that added new kingdoms to the game. It has now been changed to DVIP: Addon, which also includes several event mods.

Q) Can I combine DVIP with other mods?
A) You can use any graphics mods without problems. Scenario mods such as Veldmaarschalk's TASS are not compatible, and for event mods you need to make sure you merge the contents of any files in the config folder, or events will lack text.
The BoPack event mod is included in the Addon, as are modified versions of Wiz' and Grell's events. My own break_free is also included, as is female inheritance.

Q) I found a bug / a broken event / some historical error!
A) Post in the discussion thread. Please be as detailed as possible, and I'll see if I can fix it.

Q) I get "UNKNOWN STRING WANTED" somewhere. What is wrong?
A) The most likely cause of this (asides from an improper install) is that you overwrote the DVIP's version of modtext.csv with that from another mod. Redownload DVIP or DVIP:Addon and manually merge the contents of your current modtext.csv and the DVIP's.

Q) I keep getting events that lower the stats of children. Why do these occur?
A) These events are there to balance the stats in Deus Vult. Without them, children's stats are so high that it breaks the core gameplay and just about every event that depends on stat checks. It is still possible to get kids with high stats, especially thanks to traits like prodigy, but unlike vanilla DV the mean will be around 7, not 10 for any stat.

Q) Why are there Serbian muslims in Spain in 1066? Bug?
A) It is by design: the taifa of Denia (represented by Mallorca in DVIP) was ruled over by saqalibah: former slaves who had converted to islam and had managed to gain control of the taifa. Historians believe they were from the eastern Adriatic coast, somewhere between Venice and the Byzantine properties. This means that in DVIP cultures they must have been Croat or Serbian -- I chose the latter rather arbitrarily.

Q) Are there still free culture tags?
A) No. All tags are used, except for norse (bugged) and the crusader order ones, which cannot be used.

Last edited:
EDIT: Please go to the last page. This thread is now well over two years old and much of the info in the earliest posts is no longer applicable to the current version.
Please refer to the FAQ and use the forum search before asking a question.

----

Not included in the current version are all the rebellious/realm duress treats that were added in the IP, since DV already handles these with its rival system for the most part.

I've also opted to keep Nubia in instead of al-Maris.

The De Flandre dynasty has also kept its Francophone name instead of the IP's "van Vlaanderen".

Please check for ancestry of the characters: in not all cases it was 100% certain if I was editing the right person, since DV introduces many new characters which were not in the IPs. I think I found all the duplicates and merged them correctly, but it is of course possible I missed one here or there.

Last edited:
thank you

jordarkelf said:
Deus Vult includes much of the work on the unofficial 1.06 Improvement Packs that were in this forum, but has not included the changed cultural setup.

This download will reintroduce the added cultures in the 1066 scenario, as well as fix some scenario problems (such as the Mallorca issue).

Changelog from the original IPs below with some additions, not everything is "new" to DV as it already has a great many IP fixes.

- Great deal of scenario analysis and fixes
- Brittany, Wallachia, North Sea islands, Corsica/Sardinia and parts of Rus are now NONE kingdom
- Divided South Slavic blob into Croatian, Serbian and Bulgarian
- Gave some cultures their proper names
- Added Breton, Berber, Mordvin and Andalusi cultures
- Slovaks turned into Bohemians instead of Hungarians
- 1066 scenario adapted to the new duchies and kingdoms
- Veldmaarschalk's new CoA's included for changed duchy and kingdoms
- Veldmaarschalk's corrected CoA for Polotsk included
- 1066: Emirate of Mallorca uses different tag
- 1066: County of Lleida to Emirate of Zaragoza
- 1066: University added to Cairo
- 1066: School and Monastery added to Salerno
- 1066: Louis de Montbéliard made count of Verdun, given claim on Upper Lorraine and made direct vassal of the king
- 1066: Monastery, Church and tech for Large Church added to Macon
- 1066: Monastery added to Capua
- 1066: Robert de Conteville realized he had two sons and his wife was a bit older
- 1066: Nizam of Seljuk Turks has been Persified
- 1066: Gaitelgrima of Salerno made her appearance in Apulia
- 1066: Count of Valladolid has improved his familial connections
- 1066: Some Jews have spawned in Spain
- 1066: Some new courtiers grace the county of Gelre
- 1066: Gave poor Michael Dukas his wife
- 1066: Added a large bunch of people to Croatia and Venice
- 1066: Fixed a number of slight errors in (mostly) dead characters
- 1066: Adjusted the Muslim situation a tad
- 1066: Added alliance between England and Brittany

Full credits to Byakhiam for the original Improvement Pack, to FatD for the original scenario fixes, and to Veldmaarschalk for the new CoAs.
Any errors introduced by this not present in the IPs are my fault :D

Download thread

Don't the new cultures, require new character names lists? ...or do they use other cultures' names?

Altered character names list is also included.
For the IP several unused cultures were remapped, such as celtic to breton.
I still had the IPv2 on my disk, so it was a simple matter of diffing it against DV and editing in the IP changes.

Maybe I am looking the wrong place :) .... or misunderstanding how the cultures and names lists work together.

I opened the character_names.csv file in the downloaded DVIP file, and none of the cultures (breton, andalusi, mordvin or berber) are present in the naming list.

Are they mapped to some of the existing cultures?? :) ...like breton using the celtic naming list?

We can't add new cultures, but we can rename unused ones.

Here's the list of 1.05/DV cultures and what they are in the IP:
western_slavic : wend
south_slavic : croat
abghazian : berber
byzantine : bulgarian
eastern_slavic : serbian
iberian : andalusi
celtic : breton

Western slavic is a simple rename, the rest is unused in 1.05. Croats, Serbs, and Bulgars are "south slavic", Bretons are Frankish, and Berbers and Andalusi are arabs.

Since we can only edit display and not the internal tag, you will find the Breton namelist under "Celtic", the Berber under "Abghazian", etc. in character_names.csv.
All the work of remapping the cultures to the provinces and characters, and providing a new namelist for them, was done by Byak and the CK forum regulars. It was long the de facto "1.06", but none of it made it into DV. Hence this DVIP to restore this hard work. I have done very little editing in this version to keep it as close as I could to what people are used to.

In my own game I have introduced several more changes such as a load of new dutch and norman characters that were discussed for an "IPv3", which never came.

Last edited:
Hasimir: no idea. I was expecting it to make it in DV actually, but since it remaps the Balkan blob Paradox may have left the culture setup out for that exact reason.
If Deus Vult gets a patch, and the IP's culture changes do not make it in, I'll probably update it again.

jordarkelf said:
Hasimir: no idea. I was expecting it to make it in DV actually, but since it remaps the Balkan blob Paradox may have left the culture setup out for that exact reason.
If Deus Vult gets a patch, and the IP's culture changes do not make it in, I'll probably update it again.

Too bad ! But just keep work'in :)

I don't mean to be nitpicking here, but I have one suggestion for future versions of the 1066 setup that I am really surprised I had not noticed before.

Summary:
There is a Stefan Nemanjic (Count of Naissus) in the game, not the historical one who lived 1109-1199, but a presumed ancestor, which is neat I think, but the problem is that he and his dynasty are Bulgarian and not Serbian.
My suggestion is that the dynasty be changed to be Serbian I have no problem leaving the province as Bulgarian culturally, this can always be changed in game should a Kingdom of Serbia be created.

Much longer version:

In Vanilla DV, the province of Naissus, aka modern Nish, is ruled by a count of of the Nemanjic dynasty, in this version that is pretty good because it is pretty much where the real Stefan Nemanjic (St Simeon) arose around 1100, and the Vulkanovics are in Rashka, as they historically ruled this area in the 1060s, the province immediately to the west at the beginning of the game. This works fine because of the "South Slavic" cultural group.

However in the impovement pack where distinction is made between Serbs and Bulgarians it becomes a problem. Naissus has Bulgarian culture, which makes about as much sense as anything for the 11th century, though an argument could also be made for Serb culture for a place that is now in modern Serbia. The problem was that this is a transitional area (like for example Jamtland in Sweden which could be either Swedish or Norwegian except for accident of history) and Bulgarian versus Serb identity back then is pretty hard to sort out. But based on the legendary quality of the first Bulgar State I would go with calling the province Bulgarian for now.

The real problem is the Nemanjic dynasty is Bulgarian, and since this family is in the game because they later founded the Serbian state and to a certain extent it could be said Serbian National Identity, they founded the Serbian Orthodox church for example. I think they should probably be Serbian culturally. My suggestion is that the dynasty be changed to Serb, but to show the transitional nature of the area the province could remain Bulgarian. Interestingly enough this province is part of the Kingdom of Serbia, as I think is correct.

Sounds like something that should be changed, you make a convincing argument.

There are a lot of other scenario changes I could introduce, such as adding back missing Normans, extending the Van Zutphen dynasty, changing Welsh dynasty names to more accurate forms, fixing Croat succession by removing one guy from the succession (by giving him the bastard trait), and a few other changes; but these were never introduced in a third Improvement Pack so didn't get much use.

So let me ask anyone using this -- would you rather I keep this true to the semi-official 2nd IP, or would you also like to have the post-IPv2 improvements?

jordarkelf said:
Sounds like something that should be changed, you make a convincing argument.

There are a lot of other scenario changes I could introduce, such as adding back missing Normans, extending the Van Zutphen dynasty, changing Welsh dynasty names to more accurate forms, fixing Croat succession by removing one guy from the succession (by giving him the bastard trait), and a few other changes; but these were never introduced in a third Improvement Pack so didn't get much use.

So let me ask anyone using this -- would you rather I keep this true to the semi-official 2nd IP, or would you also like to have the post-IPv2 improvements?

Thanks! I'dlike to see those other fixes as well.

I think since Paradox clearly has no intention of any cultural changes, there is going to be a need to just proceed with the Improvement Packs. So I would vote for creating an IPv3.

Okay, for now this is the "IPV3" changelist:

Changelist for IPV3:

Database:
Revised Province.csv to take new culture setup into account, this should (?) fix revolters
Some Serbian names corrected

Characters:
Corrected some Welsh names
Gave some Bretons their Breton names
Made Judhael (Judith) de Rennes realize she was Breton, not French
Gave Alberada of Buonalbergo (Apulia) a last name, an education, and made her forgiving
Corrected Gaitelgrima of Salerno's birthdate
Added a few missing De Hautevilles: Richard son of Drogo, Abelard's brothers Richard and Herman, Roger's bastard Jordan, Robert Guiscard's son Guy
Gave Emma de Hauteville her correct mother Alberada and made her a bastard (disinherited), birthdate also corrected
Made Petar Kresimir Trpimirovic of Croatia less fertile
Turned Stjepan Trpimirovic into a bastard, so the Croat crown goes to Dmitar Zvonimir instead (as it should)
Made Dmitar Zvonimir Trpimirovic less fertile
Corrected Rixinde de Narbonne's birthdate (so she won't have a son at 14) and gave her some traits
Gave Berenger de Milhaud some traits
Gave Adele de Sabran some traits
Centule de Béarn now starts with some gold and prestige like all other counts
Added Godefroi de Boulougne
Stefan Nemanjic and his wife are now Serbs, not Bulgars. They're now also married at game start as was intended.
Mariam Bagratuni now lives with her husband Michael Dukas at scenario start
Adalheid van Zutphen and father added, this makes them related to the Von Bonngaus from the Pfalz
Some Van Loons added to the Netherlands
Added Hermann Billung to Saxony

Provinces:
Hainaut is now Dutch culture
Philippopolis is now Greek culture
Zachlumia is now Serbian culture
Sicily's muslim provinces are now Berber, not Arab

Now is the time to suggest other changes!
I also remember some people stating the Welsh dynasty names were wrong, so if you've got corrections for that, let me know.

Last edited:
small modification: send Mariam Bagratuni (id 9951) to his husband (Michael Dukas) court. Her diplomatic skill maybe usefull when her incompetent husband will rose to the throne ;)

jordarkelf said:
I also remember some people stating the Welsh dynasty names were wrong, so if you've got corrections for that, let me know.

I can't see how you'd manage that in CK as the names were basically {first name} ap {first name of father}. So, whilst there were dynasties there weren't dynasty names as such simply some patterns that emerged in the first names. Probably the most accurate would be to go for simply " of Gwynedd" etc rather than trying to plug in some fantasy surname. There's an academic article about it here:

Dynastic and Anthroponymic Strategies among the Early Medieval Celts

Have fun
Finn