• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How does the map looks after the conversion? I've seen some weird things after conversions from CK to EU... :wacko:

kolmy said:
How does the map looks after the conversion? I've seen some weird things after conversions from CK to EU... :wacko:

Try it... well, to be more precise, it sticks well with the actual realms from CK ; Usually, many countries tend to be fragemented (but that's a CK feature anyway...). And you can customize the granularity : you may decide that only big kingdoms and the occasional free dukes/counts will survive the transition, or you can decide that many vassals will stay, well vassals... The default I provide are somewhere in the middle, and you would be hard pressed to guess beforehand who will make it as core for you and who will decide to form his own associated realm (it depends on a hell of a lot of parameters, including traits, prestige or piety...).

You'll see weird things with the tags, as I don't create any new EU3 tag : I use the existing pool... (so no bother, no graphics, and it allows maximal compatibility). So, sometimes I have to assign tags at random : you will occasionally see a "scotland" (or whatever) in africa or russia and nothing in "real" scotland : this is only a matter of words... That "scotland" will have no knowledge of it's "normal" attachement and no desire to come back in "real" scotland...

Yves

Last edited:
Thanks for the work. :)

Code:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at rules.CultureCvRules.convertCulture(CultureCvRules.java:51)
        at cv.CvProvince.checkCulture(CvProvince.java:126)
        at cv.CvProvince.checkAllCulture(CvProvince.java:116)
        at CK2EU3.main(CK2EU3.java:56)

:(

edit: Same error with other save games. After it finishes Creating/Merging/removing countries, it throws it. (assuming it makes it that far; some older saves gave errors in the middle of the vassal-independence part). For the record, I have not modified the cultures in either game at all. However I do have Napolean's Ambition installed, do you think that could be the culprit?

edit2: I started a new game in the 2nd scenario as Denmark, ran for 3 days, saved it and tried to convert. Same error. Started a game as Scotland in 100 years war scenario: same error. So, it has nothing to do with my save games. I am going to try a clean install of EU3 1.3 tomorrow.

Last edited:
Great job. I'll test it... although i'll stick to Hallstein's converter as i need a save file to convert to my mod...

danimoth25 said:
Code:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at rules.CultureCvRules.convertCulture(CultureCvRules.java:51)
        at cv.CvProvince.checkCulture(CvProvince.java:126)
        at cv.CvProvince.checkAllCulture(CvProvince.java:116)
        at CK2EU3.main(CK2EU3.java:56)

:(

edit: Same error with other save games. After it finishes Creating/Merging/removing countries, it throws it. (assuming it makes it that far; some older saves gave errors in the middle of the vassal-independence part). For the record, I have not modified the cultures in either game at all. However I do have Napolean's Ambition installed, do you think that could be the culprit?

edit2: I started a new game in the 2nd scenario as Denmark, ran for 3 days, saved it and tried to convert. Same error. Started a game as Scotland in 100 years war scenario: same error. So, it has nothing to do with my save games. I am going to try a clean install of EU3 1.3 tomorrow.

OK ; from what I can see in the code, I might have missed a culture from CK in the conversion data in the cvdata.txt file (around line 860). This means you might have a culture in your CK save which is not mapped. I'll see what I can do to help you pinpoint the problem. In the mean time, check your provinces cultures and compare with the translation table...

At what date are you transfering your save ?

edit : I will be shortly uploading a small java utility to list your provinces cultures. You'll have to use it using the CKmod.jar as a library. Go to the original download page.

edit : please keep me informed about any progress (or not) you make.

Yves

Last edited:
hmm can't seem to get it to work.. this is what I have in my .bat file:

java -Xms500m -Xmx500m -jar CKmod.jar F:\Games\Paradox Entertainment\Crusader Kings F:\Games\Europa Universalis 3 probeersel.eug crusader

however, when I try it, the black dos window comes up for half a second, and nothing seems to happen :confused:

I also tried this:

java -Xms500m -Xmx500m -jar CKmod.jar CKinstallDirF:\Games\Paradox Entertainment\Crusader Kings EU3installDirF:\Games\Europa Universalis 3 savegameprobeersel.eug EU3modToAddcrusader

and this

java -Xms500m -Xmx500m -jar CKmod.jar CKinstallDir F:\Games\Paradox Entertainment\Crusader Kings EU3installDir F:\Games\Europa Universalis 3 savegame probeersel.eug EU3modToAdd crusader

but it all doesn't seem to work :wacko:

You need to wrap the path of the savegame in " " if it contains spaces... Try that and tell us if it worked, please. :)

my savegame doesn't contain any spaces ?

I finally got to read what it said in the cmd screen though:

copying mod
exception in thread "main" java.io.filenotfoundexception: F:\games\paradox\mod\kings.mod (can't find pad)
at java.io.randomaccesfile.open(native method)

and then it goes on with some more "at"'s :)
this is what I use as .bat:

java -Xms500m -Xmx500m -jar CKmod.jar CKinstallDir F:\Games\Paradox Entertainment\Crusader Kings EU3installDir F:\Games\Europa Universalis 3 savegame "probeersel.eug" EU3modToAdd crusader

but it doesn't seem to work ...
strange thing is.. in the cmd screen it is talking about F:\games\paradox\mod\kings.mod which I've never heard of... I don't have that pad on my computer.. maybe that's why it can't find it :confused: But why would it look for it.. I didn't specify that anywhere...

You would have to use quotes (") for your command to be correctly recongized, as in:

java -Xms500m -Xmx500m -jar CKmod.jar "F:\Games\Paradox Entertainment\Crusader Kings" "F:\Games\Europa Universalis 3" "probeersel.eug" crusader

Furthermore, you do not keep the tokens I put to show what parameters to put : you replace them. For exemple, CKinstallDir is replaced by the actual path ("F:\Games\Paradox Entertainment\Crusader Kings" in that case).

Yves

gigau said:
Great job. I'll test it... although i'll stick to Hallstein's converter as i need a save file to convert to my mod...

Also note that you could load the mod and immediately save the game ; still, there are things that I just cannot convert because I make a mod (such as treasury, badboy, relationships and so on). So it really depends on what you need.

Yves

Code:
"abghazian"
"alan"
"armenian"
"basque"
"bohemian"
"byzantine"
"castillan"
"catalan"
"celtic"
"cuman"
"danish"
"dutch"
"easternslavic"
"english"
"finnish"
"frankish"
"georgian"
"german"
"greek"
"hungarian"
"iberian"
"irish"
"italian"
"lappish"
"latin"
"lettigallish"
"lithuanian"
"muslim"
"none"
"norwegian"
"pecheneg"
"persian"
"polish"
"portuguese"
"prussian"
"russian"
"scottish"
"southslavic"
"swedish"
"turkish"
"ugricbaltic"
"welsh"
"westernslavic"

That is the list. Perhaps the "none" culture is screwing things up? I will see if I can find where that is in my save file.

edit: the date is 16 December 1346. However the 1167 and 1337 scenarios gave the same error.

edit2: The province 0 has culture "none". I have no idea what or why that is.

edit3: I just noticed there is no "abghazian" culture in cvdata. I will try putting it in there then converting.

Also, no "byzantine" culture. Or "celtic".

edit: I add the following to cvdata under "cultures = { "
Code:
abghazian = { default = { byzantine = georgian } } 
	byzantine = { default = { byzantine = greek } } 
        none = { french = cosmopolitan_french }
	celtic = { default = { gaelic = breton } }

and it still doesn't work, even though all the cultures are listed now.

Last edited:
danimoth25 said:
I'm pretty sure now something is up with the code. Its not NA, and its not for lack of cultures. And I have no mods in either game.

hopefully, the missing iberian one will solve the problem!

Yves

yvesp said:
hopefully, the missing iberian one will solve the problem!

Yves

Doh! That fixed it.

Now that I got it to work, whats the best way to mod cvdata so that there are less countries over all (in other words, more large kingdoms)? Not only does my map end up rather ugly, but there are so many countries that the game crashes after 6 months of play.

danimoth25 said:
Doh! That fixed it.

Now that I got it to work, whats the best way to mod cvdata so that there are less countries over all (in other words, more large kingdoms)? Not only does my map end up rather ugly, but there are so many countries that the game crashes after 6 months of play.

Go to the country_convert_rules section (aroujnd line 670) and find the entry tier. There, reduce the values for county (little effect as it is already low enough), and especially duchy (at 0 in the default file) ; try a -2 and see what it changes. If that's not enough, reduce it more...

If you have a lot of countries in germany/italy and there is a king over these countries, you might also want to change the weak_crown entry, and maybe eliminate the field best=vassal for either or both countries (which forces any duke to be at best a vassal rather than integrate his overloard realm).

Yves

Last edited: