• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(15113)

Abdicated MDS God
Feb 26, 2003
This is a NATO-Warsaw Pact battlescenario I made, taking place in July 1989. The map spans NATO and the Warsaw Pact member states. The western extreme is in mid-US and mid-Canada and the eastern extreme is the Urals and the Caspian sea.
US, Canadian and Russian forces has been split, as theoretically, this war would also be fought in the Pacific, so a good deal of ships (most of the Soviet carriers), some aircraft and a few troops are not existent in this battlescenario, as they are reserved for other theatres.
Since this is a small project, I didn't do it as thorough as I'd wanted. The amount of bases is not complete, not all navies are included and Nantes belongs to the US (a small error I've fixed now). Though I don't think any of these problems are decisive to the outcome of the war. Oh, and yes, it's played in regular HoI2, not Doomsday.

COLD WAAR TURNS HOT

PROLOGUE
07:50, July 6, 1989
Captain Jackson cranked his F-15 to the left, making a heading towards the Czech border. His wingman, First Lieutenant Hartford, mimicked his turn and came up alongside Jackson. Suddenly, the voice of a Dutch controller on an AWACS circling nearby appeared in his ear.
“Eagle 5, this is Eagle Eye 3. I’ve got a present for you boys. Three aircraft coming in, heading 3-2-4. Recommended intercept course heading 0-4-3. Distance 50km. Flight profile suggests MiG-29s. Good luck. Over and out.”
So, the Russians weren’t done yet?
Jackson and Hartford had already claimed four kills, mostly elderly MiGs most likely coming out of Czechoslovakia or Hungary as a diversion.
Those damn Ruskies. No respect for human lives…
This time the opponents would be more dangerous. The MiG-29s could theoretically match, and in some cases exceed, the capabilities of the F-15. His strongest counter to this was the superior computer technology fitted in the F-15 and supposedly more training. He turned left yet again, positioning himself on the course the AWACS controller had outlined for them. Suddenly, the voice reappeared.
“Eagle 5, Eagle 5, this is Eagle Eye 3, be advised, five aircraft on intercept course, heading 2-6-8. Distance 30km.“
Dammit.
He adjusted his course and made ready to meet the new arrivals. Suddenly the missile lock alarm ringed.
“What the hell…” Jackson exclaimed out loud.
He banked hard, descended rapidly and increased his speed to avoid a possible missile. After a few manoeuvres the plane didn’t like, the alarm stopped. He looked around for his wingman. Hartford was nowhere to be seen.
“Eagle 4, this is Eagle 5, come in.” No answer.
“Eagle 4, Eagle 4, this is Eagle 5, come in.” Still no answer.
He was flying alone.
“Eagle Eye 3, this is Eagle 5, come in.” No answer there either.
Goddammit! Was his radio knocked out, or had they all been shot down? He didn’t know. He decided to find a friendly airstrip and land. He had to refill his weapons and fuel anyway. His radar was being jammed, so to be safe he put his plane on a straight western axis and proceeded at full throttle. When he felt distance was in his favour, he decelerated and started calling for a ground controller. Suddenly the missile lock alarm ringed again. A few seconds later he finally landed, though not alive or in one piece.

INTRODUCTION
The Third World War was the most expected and the most prepared war in human history. For thirty years, the two blocks dominating the European continent had been making every precaution possible should war ever come. In the late 1980s, the tension between the two blocks increased, as it had done several times before. Yet this time, it didn’t decrease after a brief period. The real reasons as to why the war started is still unknown to historians, but it only seemed as a natural event, given the amount of military hardware and tension present on the continent, especially along the International German Border. When it was clear to Soviet planners that war was inevitable, given the Western reponses to its decisions, a massive mobilization was started in the Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact as a whole. This, in turn, resulted in the reintroduction of the draft in the United States, and an increase in American troops stationed in West Germany. Slowly, but surely, the other members of NATO realized what was happening, and started mobilizations of their own. The United Kingdom increased the size of the British Army of the Rhine, Spain and Italy sent expeditionary forces to Greece and Turkey, and the amount of ships patrolling the North Sea and the North Atlantic was dramatically increased. In the United States, a transfer of ships from the Pacific Fleet to the Atlantic Fleet was performed. On the morning of July 6, 1989, thirty years of preparations would be put to the test.

war2pp5.jpg

The European continent on July 6, 1989

invasionplanro0.jpg

The Soviet invasion plan. Greece and Turkey not included.

This looks cool. I'll be watching.

Without all those countries? In my point of view, it is a mistake. But I will be following this. :D

Spain is a democracy. Right? (If don't, I will kill you... Or not :D ).

This looks promising. Good luck.

One thing I am wondering is how you are going to prevent a nuclear apocalypse. If you can't, then just say bye bye to Civilization as we know it. :(

I'm onboard Cap'n although if I may ask, what is the true startup story? Has the Soviet Union had a successful military coup? Did Gorby get into power? And will you make anymore scenarios (such as the Far East) etc? And how is the AI?

I won't give away too much, though I still stress the fact that this battlescenario is far from complete. I only edited those facts I felt were relevant to the scenario.
The Soviet AI (though I will be playing the Soviet Union for most of the time), is designed to make them advance at all costs, ignoring the loss of life etc, while NATO AIs (yes, there is an individual one for each country) are designed to withdraw to avoid loss of life at all costs. In other words, most of West Germany is to be lost, even if most of the NATO units are still powerful. The result is yet to be seen ;)

Spain a democracy? I guess they are, given the MDS2 mod. I haven't edited the politics of each individual nation. But I still think that the major clashes in this mod will be mostly unaffected by politics, resources and IC. The final result will be decided by AI, the sheer amount of numbers and the extra training and equipment NATO units receive. In addition, the assaulting power always have problems pacifying the occupied territories ;)

More updates will follow!

Go Gorbatchev, show them some Perestroika!

First of all: Have you seen the ZDF (German TV-Station) mockumentary "Der Dritte Weltkrieg" (German term for "World War III")? I'm asking this, because your AAR remembers me much from that mockumentary.

He are the links, if you haven't seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuDgNgUgAH8 Part 1/9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbUEBH-U_7s Part 2/9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbGMMn8Dk-0&mode=related&search= Part 3/9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vucqjKDtbM&mode=related&search= Part 4/9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVEq4XKXx50&mode=related&search= Part 5/9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czRqBzooCZk&mode=related&search= Part 6/9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpGO_NImXg0&mode=related&search= Part 7/9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT6sAlyxHr0&mode=related&search= Part 8/9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut2w_qTdLEY&mode=related&search= Part 9/9

There are many parts, and it's in German, but you should watch it.

And now to your AAR:

An interesting theme you've chosen. But I hope that the "BRD" (German term for FRG) does not fall to the Sovjets, and I hope that the NATO can resque it. I would also like to read a big prologue. Something like, the KGB makes a coup d'etat against Gorbatschow. Anyway, keep going on this AAR.

P.S: If my English is not so good, excuse me.

Last edited:
The Battlescenario has a select group of possible outcomes, because of some simple facts:
1. The Soviets will not thread on French or British soil at all, mostly because this would give them a good excuse to start launching nukes. The Soviets want to keep this conventional.
2. American troops will arrive on the continent regularly from the start of the scenario to the end. After one month (which is the playing time in this battlescenario), US reserve forces will start to get online en mass, and the Soviets will at that time start to have problems conquering anything. THerefore, they aim at getting as much as possible before early August.

About the film: It did look extremely interesting, and I wish there was a version with subtitles or translation available. Though I do think this was on Discovery Channel some years back, but I was too young to really enjoy it.

Last edited:
Maggern said:
The Battlescenario has a select group of possible outcomes, because of some simple facts:
1. The Soviets will not thread on French or British soil at all, mostly because this would give them a good excuse to start launching nukes. The Soviets want to keep this conventional.
2. American troops will arrive on the continent regularly from the start of the scenario to the end. After one month (which is the playing time in this battlescenario), US reserve forces will start to get online en mass, and the Soviets will at that time start to have problems conquering anything. THerefore, they aim at getting as much as possible before early August.

It sounds good that the Sovjets will have early wins, but will lose then the battle, after US troops arrived. Another question: Will we see nuclear weapons here?