• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lord Valentine

Lord Protector of Britain
88 Badges
Jul 5, 2006
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
Sco1.jpg

Honors associated with the "High Kings:​

Weekly AAR Showcase November 7th 2008
awarded by the Guiscard
WritAAR of the Week Sep. 23rd 2007
awarded by VILenin

I was canonized 3rd September 2009
Big thanks to canonized, author of Timelines!

Table of Content:

Introduction (this post)
Maldred of Atholl (1060-1072)
Gospatrick (I) (1072-1105) - Part One
Gospatrick (I) (1072-1105) - Part Two
The World in 1100 AD
Gospatrick II (1105-1125) - Part One
Gospatrick II (1105-1125) - Part Two
Gospatrick II (1105-1125) - Part Three
Ferteth I (1125-1131)
Guthred I "the Strange" (1131-1134)
Malcolm IV "the Great" (1134-1140) - Part One
Malcolm IV "the Great (1134-1140) - Part Two
Ranald I - The Regency Years (1140-1152) - Part One
Ranald I - The Regency Years (1140-1152) - Part Two
Ranald I - The Regency Years (1140-1152) - Part Three
Ranald I - The Regency Years (1140-1152) Part Four
Ranald I - The Regency Years (1140-1152) Part Five
Ranald I - The Regency Years (1140-1152) Part Six
Ranald I "The Conquerer" (1140-1183) - Part One
Ranald I "The Conqueror" (1140-1183) - Part Two
Ranald I "The Conqueror" (1140-1183) - Part Three
Ranald I "The Conqueror" (1140-1183) - Part Four

Interim: The Awakening of a Giant

Ranald I "The Conqueror (1140-1183) - Part Five
Ranald I "The Conqueror (1140-1183) - Part Six

The Kingdom of Scotland was the perhaps most powerful Celtic state in the middle ages. The Kingdom of Scotland (or Alba as it was also known) was formed when Kenneth Mac Alpin, king of Dalriada unified the Picts and Scots in 843. For nearly 200 years the realm developed and prospered under the kings of the Alpin dynasty. In contrast to Wales and Ireland there was a stable royal government, in the hand of one family. In the 11th century however a development began which would wash away the traditional political order.

duncan1.jpg
King Duncan I (1034-1040), unloved reformer of the realm.​

So far the kings had been elected by the so called Tànaisteachd, a assembly of Tans, the leaders of the realms most powerful families. Duncan I was determined to break free of this and disbanded the Tànaisteachd and tried to replace it with the succession of the eldest born son. In this, like in all other fields of royal perogatory, he was highly brutal and without scruples, and made himself unpopular with both the nobility and the people. Especially his conflict with his cousin Macbeth quickly escalated. Duncan payed the price for defying traditions and popular sentiment when he was killed by Macbeath in the battle of Elgin on 14th of August 1040.

Macbeth.jpg
Macbeth (1040-1057), the last great Alpin king.​

The historic Macbeth was quite different from the figure immortalized by Shakespeare's world famous tragedy. Macbeth was quickly able to restore order in Scotland to harmonize the relationship between sovereign and people once again. His rule was a phase of peace and prosperity, to such an extent even that Macbeth was able to leave the country for a pilgrimage to Rome in 1050 and found all peaceful and in order when he returned. In the end he was killed by Macduff after a English invasion, in a battle against Duncans eldest son Malcolm. Macbeths stepson, the last male representative of the house Alpin, was crowned but also met a violent end in 1058. A new dynasty established itself.

MalcolmIII.jpg

Malcolm III (1058-1087), first Dunkeld king of Scotland.

Under Malcolm Scotland faced an uncertain future. A new family had placed itself on the throne but with the upcoming Norman invasion of Britain an new threat was already building up on the horizon...

~Lord Valentine~

Last edited:
Wow yet another megacampaign. Good choice of nation - not too strong yet not too weak, and Scotland is soo interesting. Nice history book style and pictures. Good luck - i`ll be definitely reading it. Only one thing - don`t conquer world too soon ;)

So as you can see I have I have found a new AAR quite quickly after the unfortunate end of my El Cid AAR. I have long wanted to write a mega campaign but never could quite decide on what faction to play as. Now that we have quite a few Mega Campaigns like ThrashingMads "History of the White Eagle", which obviously inspired and motivated me quite a bit, or "Freedom is relative" by Red Phalanx and of course RGB's Russian mega campaign that are all centred around the eastern half of the map I thought it might be fun play as a minor kingdom in on the British isles. Why Scotland? Because Wales is too small and the Irish names to exotic to my liking. :p
Anyway I will not start the game as king of Scotland but Duke of Galloway. My objectives will therefore be:

1. To become king of Scotland
2. To survive the (quite likely) English onslaught
3. To expand into the other "Celtic kingdoms"
4. To perhaps gain a foothold in Europe.

All of these aims however must be subjected to the traits of my kings. A cowardly or lazy king will not make a imperialistic foreign policy while a reckless one may (or even must) take great risks. I hope that by the time I reach the 15th century there will be a good CK to EUIII converter otherwise I will have to use EUII.
I write a update (or in some cases several) for each reign of my dukes\kings. World updates will be posted once every 50 years starting in 1100.
So now wish me luck and hope that the Atholl family will soon own the throne that is rightly theirs. :D

~Lord Valentine~

Lord Valentine said:
So as you can see I have I have found a new AAR quite quickly after the unfortunate end of my El Cid AAR. I have long wanted to write a mega campaign but never could quite decide on what faction to play as. Now that we have quite a few Mega Campaigns like ThrashingMads "History of the White Eagle", which obviously inspired and motivated me quite a bit, or "Freedom is relative" by Red Phalanx and of course RGB's Russian mega campaign that are all centred around the eastern half of the map I thought it might be fun play as a minor kingdom in on the British isles. Why Scotland? Because Wales is too small and the Irish names to exotic to my liking. :p
Anyway I will not start the game as king of Scotland but Duke of Galloway. My objectives will therefore be:

1. To become king of Scotland
2. To survive the (quite likely) English onslaught
3. To expand into the other "Celtic kingdoms"
4. To perhaps gain a foothold in Europe.

All of these aims however must be subjected to the traits of my kings. A cowardly or lazy king will not make a imperialistic foreign policy while a reckless one may (or even must) take great risks. I hope that by the time I reach the 15th century there will be a good CK to EUIII converter otherwise I will have to use EUII.
I write a update (or in some cases several) for each reign of my dukes\kings. World updates will be posted once every 50 years starting in 1100.
So now wish me luck and hope that the Atholl family will soon own the throne that is rightly theirs. :D

~Lord Valentine~

Roleplaying of Monarchs - Great :D

Maldred of Atholl, Duke of Galloway​
Born 1036 - Died 1072
Ruled 1060-1072

1.jpg

The Cast:

Lord Maldred Atholl, usless Duke of Galloway

In the words of a contemporary historian: "There was never a man more devoid of any virtue, who performed fewer memorable tasks and yet simply through his noble birth had to be regarded as great man." This perfectly sums up Maldreds live. He was the richest and most powerful noble in Scotland with revenues second only to those of the king. Furthermore he was closely related to the royal house, being the kings cousin. His father Maldred had been the younger brother of Duncan I. In spite of this the only thing that the duke did on a truly royal scale was host lavish banquets at which not only food and drink where served in abundance but also quite frivolous entertainment. The dukes numerous affairs gave him sad fame and we know of at least three bastard children of his, all of which died during their childhood. In this unchivalrous fashion the years went by until in 1071 after a great hunt and consuming a even greater deal of wine the duke fell ill. Strongly against the advice of his doctors he continued his extravagant lifestyle until pneumonia killed him the next year. All who had lived to see him interpreted this as a warning by God. Paradoxly enough however although Maldred failed to achieve anything in his lifetime his death had great consequences. Since he died without a heir his estate where inherited by his brother Gospatrick, thereby uniting the duchies of Galloway and Berwick.

Facts:
-His death united the duchies of Galloway and Berwick

~Lord Valentine~

Last edited:
Haha :D - Yeah not all medieval monarchs were conquering knights and great statesmen - I thing that just small percent of them were. Very good start, and implementation of in-game events into storyline. Now I`m damn curious what kind of man Duke Gospatrick is...

Hello from your megacampaign neighbors to the south! Boring life, but it looks like it sets up everything else. Great things always stem from minor events... Nations can fall because one man sneezed, or tens of millions killed stemming from one assassination out of many.

Gospatrick, Duke of Galloway and Berwick​
Born 1040 - Died 1105
Ruled 1056-1105

2.jpg

Cap1.png

The Cast:

Lord Gospatrick Atholl, Duke of Berwick and Galloway
Malcolm III, first King of Scotland out of the Dunkeld dynasty
Duncan II, son of Malcolm III and later King of Scotland
William I, King of England and liege of Malcolm III for Berwick and Cumberland

Few would have thought that Gospatrick would once be regarded as one of the greatest Scottish nobles ever. In fact at in the beginning most people thought that he was just as useless as his brother. Many actually urged the king to remove him from his position since it was seen as a great risk to place the kingdoms important border provinces in the hands of such a man. Although Gospatrick was truly just as sinfully lustful as his brother this was a truly unfair verdict. Behind the facade there was a highly ambitious man who was not content to simply play the warden of the kingdoms borders. As early as 1072 he showed great political foresight by introducing feudalism in his realm. His aim was to break up the old clan system and replace it with a centralized system of fiefdoms with him a the top, second only to the king. In contrast to Scottish military tradition he began training the nobles of his households in fighting as heavily armed, mounted knights. A first test for these new military ways came in the winter of 1076 when William the Conqueror tried to extend his influence into Scotland by force. The Scots fought bravely against the numerically superior Normans and William was forced to sign a peace treaty in 1077 out of fear of a Saxon rebellion against his rule. King Malcolm III had to pay homage to William for the provinces of Berwick and Cumberland but this was a little price for Scottish independence.
Gospatrick in the mean time had own plans. In spite of an illness that would plague him for nearly 10 years he started an expedition to Ireland in 1078. His aim was the conquest of the "kingdom" of Ulaid. When diplomatic means failed to have the desired effect Gospatrick had over 2.200 men, including 200 knights and 500 men-at-arms, ready to enforce his will. The Irish although hopelessly outnumbered made a stand under their Marshall Donnchad. Being no military man and confident in his victory Gospatrick ordered a frontal assault on the enemy position and himself took the lead. The Irish anticipated this and concentrated their forces on the dukes personal retinue. Seeing the danger arise the duke immediately fled, leaving behind his standard and throwing away his armour on the way. This terrible act of cowardice would taint his reputation for the rest of his live.

3.jpg
Few people would have thought that one day he would be called the "Terror of Ireland"​

In spite of their commanders uninspired leadership the Scots won a total victory and the "kingdom" was absorbed into the Dukes personal demense. Another expedition in 1083 would lead to the conquest of Tir Connail. Even if it was hardly realized in Scotland 1078 was a highly important historic year. Not because of Gospatricks Irish campaign but because pope Clemens III called for a crusade of all true Christians to liberate the city of Alexandria from the infidels and thereby open the road to the holy land. In the end the kings of England, Norway, France and Germany would take up the cross although effectively only the last two fulfilled their vows.
From the 1080s on Gospatrick took a more active role in the realms policy making clear that it was his right as the most powerful magnate of the realm to advise the king. Many, especially the other members of the Dunkeld family viewed this with suspicion, fearing that Gospatrick might want to monopolize royal patronage in his favour. In fact the duke was one of the few loyal supporters the king had. Many families still did not accept the rule of the new family and even more longed to see the Tànaisteachd restored. When some of them approached Gospatrick with an offer of making him king if he killed Malcolm and restored the old rights the duke had them arrested and handed over to his liege.

4.jpg

Just three months later however the king died peacefully and was succeeded by his eldest son Duncan.

DuncanII.jpg

King Duncan II, it was in his reign that the problems, that had so far been suppressed, erupted.

The young king had a wired personality. Wise and well educated on the one hand but distrustful of everyone and highly deceptive on the other. The king avoided contact with his nobles since he regarded them as potential enemies. Furthermore he strongly endorsed the idea of joining the crusade but when the magnates of the realm refused to support such a crazy idea the king simply started wars in North Africa in 1088 and 1093 which both in spite of great financial effort came to nothing. Fortunately enough William of England was still busy putting down Saxon rebellions and when he died in 1092 his heir Robert I was faced with similar problems. Quite naturally the king became highly unpopular and some people where even beginning to compare him with his unfortunate namesake Duncan I. Around the same time, after having created himself Duke of Ulster and finally restored his health, Gospatrick launched another major campaign into Ireland in 1088 during which he conquered Sligo and devastated Mide which was forced to pay a enourmus tribute. Some Irish nobles even offered him the title of "Ard-Ri" (High king) of Ireland but Gospatrick declined. It was this massive campaign that gave the duke the nickname "Terror of Ireland". At the same time however Gospatrick was excluded from the kings council like most other men of wealth and power.

In 1096 the great magnates of the realm had had enough of Duncan II arbitrary rule, that solely rested on a handful of parvenu favourites from his court. They met at Scone, the sight of royal coronations and passed the so called "Charta of Scone". In it they stated their discontent about the kings rule and in essence demanded two things. That the king should remove his favourites and listen to the council of his magnates and reinstate the Tànaisteachd. The nobles chose Gospatrick, who was seen as something of a hero for his great service to crown and country in Ireland, to present the Charta to the king. Duncan, although furious saw no other way out but to accept the demands of his barons. From that day onwards however he held a great grudge against Gospatrick whom he thought to be the sole force behind the charta.

The duke however did not notice the kings intentions and was happy to be in his old rank and position again. With the kings blessing he prepared yet another campaign in Ireland in 1097. Just as he was about to board the ship to take him across news reached him that the king had declared him "enemy of the realm".

5.jpg
The die is cast. The hero of Ireland has been labelled a traitor by his king.​

The dukes first reaction was to send a writ to the king in which he protested his loylaty and asked to be able to answer to the charges layed against him in front of a tribunal of peers. Only when he was told that there was no defence against treason did Gospatrick take the most radical step. He claimed the crown and marched against the king with all troops he could muster.
But as mentioned before the duke had never been a great general and he was humiliatingly defeated by the king near Lothian on October 5th 1097.

6.jpg
Civil wars, oh horrid civil wars.​

Most men would have probably given up at this point, but not Gospatrick. He rallied his men once again and lead them to a splendid victory over the kings brother Malcolm Dunkeld in Spring 1098.

7.jpg

Unfortunately it soon became apparent that the dukes situation was unbearable. The king had mobilized the whole of Scotland against him and the dukes forces where already greatly decimated. Stronghold after stronghold fell to the king. Gospatrick saw no other way out than to set sails for Ireland. In a last hard fought naval battle in which he lost several teeth, which left him with a serious speech impediment, he reached the relative safety of Ireland in October 1098. Several attempts by the king to land in Ireland where repelled in 1099 but the duke soon realized that he stood no chance in the long run. He made the hardest decision in his life and leaving behind all the estates and wealth he had worked so hard to accumulate fled to England disguised as a monk...

1.png

The situation in 1099. The king has overrun the dukes scottish possesions (dark blue), while the duke holds on to his Irish conquest (dark red)

~Lord Valentine~

Last edited:
Glad to see you starting a new AAR. This war of independence is manageable, I think you can survive. Particularly with your Irish lands to fall back on. Good luck.

You have transfered gameplay/events to story in an excellent way. With tidy screenshots and good history-book narration it`s real pleasure to read. But damn - I started to like Gospatrick what`s next?? :confused:

First of all thanks to everyone for the huge amount of encouraging feedback. I really appreciate that. :) I only hoped that my clean install will keep this game free of CtDs.

Judas Maccabeus:Thanks. I think it won't be the last little event with great consequence in this AAR...

JimboIX:Although the situation looks bleak at the moment I am really glad I conquered these Irish provinces. Otherwise Duncan II would have steamrolled my poor hero. :p

thrashing mad:Thanks for the praise. I am doing my best and I had a lot of learning material through your AAR. :) Anyway I have a easy day in school tomorrow (not to mention the summer holidays that start soon :D) so I think I will be able to post part two of Gospatrick's life tomorrow. All will be revealed soon...

~Lord Valentine~

When I saw his military skils I thought... gosh, he won't win his crown by the sword... Wasn't wrong, methinks...

Gospatrick, Duke of Galloway and Berwick​
Born 1040 - Died 1105
Ruled 1056-1105

2.jpg

Cap2.png

The Cast:

Gospatrick (I), Duke of Berwick and Galloway later King of Scotland
Duncan II, King of Scotland and enemy of Gospatrick
Waltheof Atholl, son of Gospatrick
Gundred de Normandy, daughter of William I of England and spouse of Waltheof
Robert I, son of William I and King of England
Lord Gratnach of Mar, Duke of Mar and traitor

When Gospatrick traveled south into the Kingdom of England in the summer of 1099 he seemed all but beaten. What was left of his power and splendour now? What was he but a broken old man? What could he hope for but a comfortable yet obscure exile in a foreign land? It was in this situation in which all hope seemed to have failed that through cunning and bold action Gospatrick turned the tide. He traveled through Wales as fast as he could since Duncan II had offered a huge ransom to anyone who might capture the "renegade Duke". With spies hard on his heals Gospatrick finally reached the demense of the Duchy of Gloucester. Now finally his wise marriage policy payed off! For he had married his youngest son Waltheof to Gundred, daughter of William I and duchess of Gloucester. After a warm welcome from his son and daughter in law Gospatrick managed to persuade the duchess to give him access to her brother king Robert I. And at in late May he left for London with a sizable escort supplied by the duchess.

Tower1.jpg

The Tower of London. It was here that the fateful meeting between Gospatrick and king Robert I took place on June 15th 1099.

Gospatrick entered London on June 4th and was supplied with a accommodation worthy of his status. Nevertheless he had to wait for over a week until he was finally allowed to see the king. On the 14th the duke was transferred to the Tower and finally given an audience with the king the following day. Gospatrick entered the throne room in simple clothing and without bearing any insignias of his ducal powers. After approaching the king presiding over the scene on his throne Gospatrick threw himself to the floor lamenting about the wrongs that had been committed against him by the false king of Scotland and begging Robert as his liege to give him protection and support.

Wa_glow1.jpg
Gospatricks famous bow before king Robert I in a late 15th century painting.​

Not able to stand this self humiliation any longer Robert picked the duke up from the floor and after warmly embracing him declared his great sympathy and love for his "cousin of Berwick" as he called him. After a enjoyable evening meal and great celebrations Robert sent a letter to Duncan II summoning him to his court to answer for the misrule and unrightful abuse of power until 20th of August. The king gave Duncan time until the 1st of July to declare his submission to Roberts judicial authority. When no answer arrived from Duncan Robert and Gospatrick did not hesitate to risk confrontation. On July 2nd before a great number of English nobles Gospatrick formally accepted Robert as his liege and payed homage to him for the duchies of Berwick and Galloway.

8.jpg

As a next step both prepared for a campaign to restore Gospatrick to his rightful positions as duke in late 1099\early 1100. While Robert called as many as 10.000 of his retainers to his banner, with some further 7.000 as reserve, Gospatrick sent word to his eldest son of the same name to invade Scotland from Ireland in 1100 and join forces with him.
The invasion took place in November 1099 and worked like a clockwork. Most Scottish noble simply retreated unwilling to fight such a unwinnable battle for a king like Duncan II. The few who did fight where quickly annihilated and by the end of February all of Gospatricks estates recovered. But the duke was not yet finished. Mobilizing all his forces and not waiting for his English allies he marched further inland, desperate to take revenge. As he finally approached central Scotland he was met by a great number of Scottish magnates, all bearing the signs of truce. They included the most important representatives of the Dunkeld and Loarn family. Bowing before Gospatrick and addressing him as king they begged him to spare Duncans live and forget the ills that all of them had committed against him. The duke was wise enough not to let his lust for revenge spoil this great opportunity. And thereby through heavenly providence after being lifted upon the Stone of Scone on April 22nd began the rule of Gospatrick I.

GospatrickI.jpg
Hail king Gospatrick! First king out of the house of Atholl and restorer of Scotland!​

Gospatricks first act was to grant a general pardon for all those who had once fought against him and allowing the old king Duncan II after having publicly renounced all his claims to the throne several times to travel freely within the realm. His next major decision was to move the royal residence from Scone to Edinburgh. There however still remained the problem of securing English approval of his kingship. For this the king meet Robert I in York in July 1100 and payed homage to him for the whole Scottish realm, thereby reasserting his status as vassal to the English crown.
The next two years the king spent travelling through his realm, dealing legal cases and in general trying to win acceptance for his kingship. With the same thing in mind he married Isabel Dunkeld, a niece of Malcolm III, after the death of his first wife in 1102.

9.jpg

Isabel, Queen of Scotland and prominent figure within the Dunkeld family.

Nevertheless there still remained elements hostile to the king. Interestingly enough they came not from within the Dunkeld family, which had suffered just as much as all other high ranking families under the rule of Duncan II, but form the Dukes of Mar. They had been highly offended by the fact that when Duncan II was deposed the Scottish magnates preferred to make a traitor who had allied himself with the English king than one of their family. In February 1104 the Duke of Mar rebelled and declared himself Gratnach I of Scotland.

10.jpg
The renegade Duke Grantnach of Mar. He was later pardoned by Gospatrick I.​

It was a foolish thing to do. Although many people where still hostile to Gospatrick, especially due to his connection to the English king, absolutely no one wanted Gratnach to become king. He was well known for his malice and cruelty which he had demonstrated time and time again. Gospatrick still acted quickly and inflicted a crushing defeat upon the usurper in the battle of the Grey Moores. By May it was all over and the king could celebrate his great victory with a grand tournament.

11.jpg
The Grand tournament was won by the kings champion and martial Sir Dubagan Armstrong, another indication of the heavenly support the kings cause enjoyed.​

It was the last highlight of a memorable career. On February 19th 1105 Gospatrick died peacefully in Edinburgh. He was brought to Berwick in a great procession and buried in the local cathedral. There the cities greatest son rests till today.

12.jpg

Facts:
- Introduced feudalism in Scotland
- Conquered the Irish provinces of Ulaid, Sligo and Tir Connail
- Gained kingship
- Established English sovereignty over the Scottish realm

Last edited:
From nothingnesss to kingship.

Congratulations for a job well done!

You've come a long way, the next step is to show the English whose really boss. Also, finish up the good work in Ireland.

Ahhh. Dramatic story of Gospatricks struggle with Scottish false-king would be good material for movie :) . Very well made - story and gfx =) But there is no in-game equivalent of feudal dependence from English, isn`t?

Kurt_Steiner:Thanks! But this is only where the work starts. I still have a mighty neighbour in the south...

JimboIX:You have quite correctly summed up my future aims in your post, although I think I will go for Ireland first. :p

thrashing mad: Thanks a lot again. You are right there is no ingame equivalent. I simply put it in to make the story more interesting and historically accurate. Although CK wouldn't have us think it it was not unusual for kings to be vassals of kings. The English kings for example payed homage to the French king for their continental possessions until they claimed the throne for themselves. The Scottish kings on the other hand payed homage to the English kings for Cumberland and in periods of strong English influences (like in the time of John I Baliol of Scotland and Edward I of England) even for the whole Kingdom.

~Lord Valentine~

Last edited:
Wonderful AAR!

So, after Gospatrick, who'll became the King of Scotland. Does he had any sons alive beside the one in Gloucester? If not, I sense a wide-spread rebellion against the husband of the King of England's sister. I'm hoping the succession will be a peaceful one.

Raden Shaka said:
Wonderful AAR!

So, after Gospatrick, who'll became the King of Scotland. Does he had any sons alive beside the one in Gloucester? If not, I sense a wide-spread rebellion against the husband of the King of England's sister. I'm hoping the succession will be a peaceful one.

You can stay tuned for the rule of Gospatrick II, eldest son of Gospatrick I and former Duke of Berwick. But whether the transition of power will be peaceful is hard to tell. After all the new dynasty has just established itself and there are quite a few forces in Scotland that want to return to the Tànaisteachd and elect their king. So there is more than enough conflict potential.

~Lord Valentine~