• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Storey

StoreytellAAR
7 Badges
Mar 16, 2001
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For The Glory
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • 500k Club
Every once in a while someone will complain that they’ve played a hundred or so years in their current game and there isn’t anything to do. They have expanded their original country’s size to the point that there are few if any countries that can threaten them and they moan and groan about what to do next. I admit that there are few times that I’ve actually played a game completely to the end of the available time frame because of the same problems. Usually like most others when I’ve accomplished my goals I’d set that game aside and start another one. So in the tradition of EU1 and EU2 I am now in EU3 taking the time to write an AAR and point out that there is a different way to play the game, namely multiple countries.

I will be playing three countries. I stay with a each country for ten years and then move on to the next country in line and hope that the AI doesn’t self destruct during my absence. All three countries have the same goal and whoever accomplishes it first wins the game. My standard in house rules will be used, “no loans and no mercenaries” in the game. There are some additional rules with EU3 that I didn’t have with EU1 and 2. I will not be allowed to take the National Idea of “QFTNW”. It will become evident why when I state the goal of the three countries. If by chance the AI selects QFTNW I will accept it. I also will not be able to change a National Idea. If I happen to be running the country when a National Idea is available for selection then great I will pick one. Also I can not attack any of the three countries I’m playing until one of them accomplishes the goal of the game, then it’s gloves off and you will see why when I state the goal.

Ah the hell with the suspense. The goal is a simple one. All I have to do it capture and hold a single province for a full cycle of thirty years. Yep and the single province is called “Badakhshan”. Sounds simple doesn’t it? So without further ado I will start with my first country.

Japan

JapanBeginninggovernment1453.jpg

I need to set the investment sliders and I decide to push government because I can get to the first National Idea by 1458.

InvestinGovernmentTech1453.jpg

I also have the option of moving one of my sliders and decide to move toward free subjects. I’ve always like moving toward free subjects but that is based of EU2 and I don’t know if it’s as good an idea in Eu3. Time will tell.

Slidermovetowardfreesubjects1453.jpg

Now to the big picture, my first task is to figure out the best way to Badakhshan, which of course I can’t see at this time because it’s buried deep in terra incognito. But since I know it’s general location I and make a stab at what way to go, East. Gosh I’m smart.

GoEast1453-1.jpg

I could possibly get into an alliance with Korea and with their assistance take down the Manchu. The problem is that sooner or later if I go that route I will have to fight the Ming. Now don’t get me wrong I could beat them with one hand tied behind my back, wearing a blind fold and standing on one leg but since I only control Japan for 10 out of 30 years I don’t think it would be a good idea to go that route. So I cast my eyes south and I like what I see. Many small countries filled with provinces that are unfortified.

SoutheatAsia1453.jpg

So who should I pick on? I decide that Brunei is my best bet. Since they are an island it will be easier to defend once I capture a province or two. This will be an excellent stepping stone for the next expansion of my plan, Southeast Asia. Although Brunei is weak they are allied with Malacca and Atjeh but I think I can handled them and more importantly I think the AI can keep what I capture. I start recruiting men and fortunately I start with a navy of 19 ships that can carry 7 regiments

In 1453 Korea asks me to join in an alliance and I figure what the hell why not. Maybe I will change my mind later and head due East. Meanwhile I continue getting ready for the coming war and in 1454 I declare war against Brunei. Their allies Malacca and Atjeh join them. Korea dishonors our alliance. I’m not happy about that but I can’t say I’m surprised. Our relations were around -100 at the time. Still I’ve business to do and land 7,000 men in Brunei’s province of Sabah. We now start a round robin type of war with Brunei and me running around and capturing and losing provinces. I eventually have to send 4,000 more men to finally get the upper hand but in the middle of this Korea gets a hair up it’s butt and in 1455 declares war on me. Manchu joins them and I’ve got an uncomfortable situation to deal with. I have to raise men to repel the occasion invasions that Korea throws my way but this doesn’t stop me from pursuing the war against Brunei.

By 1457 Korea gets tired of their invasions being thrown back into the sea and agrees to a white peace but Manchu keeps fighting on. Funny but I haven’t seen a single regiment from Manchu during the entire war. My war continues against Brunei and its allies and in the middle of it I get to select a National Idea and I choose Smithian Economics.

FirstNationalIdea1457.jpg

I now move my entire investment to production.

Productiontechinvestment1458.jpg

Finally in 1458 Brunei realizes that I’ve got the upper hand and gives me, Sabah and Kute in a peace agreement.

Postwarstabilityneeds1458.jpg

But I still have unfinished business to deal with. Manchu agrees later in the year to a white peace but I have to pay Atjeh 36 ducats and Malacca 28 ducats to get them off my back. At this point the money wasn’t a problem for me.

My first goal has been reached and it’s time to play it nice and quiet. In 1462 Bali asks me to join their alliance and what the hell I agree.

The rest of the time is spent making sure I leave Japan is a strong position, which I do with 15,000 men in the army and 20 ships, not to mention, which I am going to anyway, 343 ducats in the treasury. We’ll be back in twenty years and see how they’ve done.

Lastphoto1463.jpg

Now on to the next country the Teutonic Order.

Brilliant idea. But no QFTNW will mean that the AI probably won't be blundering into Badakhshan any time soon. (That being said, how about a screenshot of where Badakhshan is?)

I was a big fan of your EU2 AAR with the same concept. I hope you prove me wrong, but I fear the concept may not translate well to EU3, the AI just doesn't play by the same rules as the human.

You may want to add a house rule where you never leave your country at war with enemies in terra incognita.

Cool idea, I'll be following this one.

You know, I had to check just to make sure that province was not in Crimea...

I'm part of the crowd that enjoyed your EU2 triple AAR and will surely follow this one.

I'll bet that Badakhshan is somewhere around Gobi desert, just west from Ming. Storey picks countries that are equidistant from their target so I guess the third country will be from south India.

Maciek

Oh, lord God almighty. QUICK! Someone grab the nets! Get the sedative!

Toooooooo late. Storey's off and running again, emphasis on the 'off' I suspect.

So instead of the Papal Harley (is that an enCyclical?) we get big dumb hairy German knights in Prussia. On big horses with hairy hoof-things. Okay, works for me. :)

Congratulations on taking the plunge, Joe - here's hoping you can stay ahead of the boys in the white coats until Badbackastan is yours! :D

Three countries, one goal, Storey attempts the impossible. Both your choices have a big country nearby - Japan has Ming China and The Knights have Poland-Lithuania - and I can't help wondering if the third will have the Ottomans as nieghbours; Trebizond, for example. All to find Bad ass Khan. Is he descended from Prester John?

Hmm. I have thought about this some more and have a few questions.

1. What happens if you can't complete your goal by the end of the game?

2. What happens if one of your three nations is annexed when you're not looking?

3. Related to 2, with your third nation existing for 20 years before you come to guide it to safety, has it taken a lot of damage to the point that it alters your plan? (Assuming you've played that far.)

Nice concept, I thought it worked great the other time I saw it. (HOI2)
One thing I wanted to ask, it Backacheshing, or whatever it is called, really east of Japan? It sounds like a territory that should be west of it. :confused:

K-59 - A good guess with the Aztecs but I’m not that crazy! :D As to QFTNW I’m leaving myself an out in that if I haven’t been able to see though Terra Incognita by such and such a date I will allow a switch in National Ideas. I just haven’t decided when that date is. ;)

Kanil - A screen shot of Badakhshan? Sure here it is.

Goal-1.jpg

:rofl:

It’s in the middle of Asia. Part of the Timurid Empire, which presents the problem of how to get control of a province from a large empire.

JaxomCA - I don’t know if this will work out as well as in EU2 but that’s what I want to find out. Yes I agree with the AI controlled nations not restricted by historical settings is going to be a ride into the unknown. Kind of exciting isn’t it? Let’s see what happens.

J. Passepartout - Could be a short ride but it shouldn’t be boring.

Lutzow - Japan has advantages in defense in being an island but the economic disadvantages with not having a land link with what I hope will be many overseas provinces will be a problem. Still it’s a trade off that I considered when I picked Japan so I have no complaints.

Earendil - Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Stroph1 - Hope you don’t mind me using Brunei as a stepping stone? :D

Stepguybrian - I’ve used this idea in EU1 and EU2 and it is quite fun. I have the AAR for EU 2 in my signature if you want to find out who won between the Papal States, Mamalukes and Georgia in a different type of contest. ;)

Stnylan - stroph1 - Crimea is just a bad dream by now. Besides only the Teutonic Order might have to conquer a province or two from them. Now that shouldn’t be too hard, right? :D

Mlepkows - Thanks for reading the EU2 version. Nope the next contestant isn’t from India. I’ll let you in on a secret. I was planing to us an Arab country like Morocco but they could see the goal (no Terra Incognita) so I had to chose a non Arab country. Can’t say who it is right now.

Director - Let’s see it’s probably 85 degrees with 90 percent humidity where you are and here today it was 70 degrees with low humidity. Now who’s the crazy one? :D

Chief Ragusa - I wanted to pick a very difficult to almost impossible goal and I may have done just that. :eek: If the Ming expand and get their hands on Badakhshan it’s going to be a bitch prying their greedy hands off my goal. Ah what the hell it’s a worthy goal and if I succeed the poets will write tributes to my genius. Or on the other hand the local headstone carver could will write on my tombstone “He had eyes bigger than his stomach”. :D

Joe

Kanil said:
Hmm. I have thought about this some more and have a few questions.

1. What happens if you can't complete your goal by the end of the game?

2. What happens if one of your three nations is annexed when you're not looking?

3. Related to 2, with your third nation existing for 20 years before you come to guide it to safety, has it taken a lot of damage to the point that it alters your plan? (Assuming you've played that far.)

1) I lose. It's a concept that many playing the game have a difficult time dealing with. I mean you have reloads, edited files, cheats etc. I think it's more fun if you have the chance to have your butt kicked by the AI. :D

2) I think it's unlikely since if they suffer a devastating defeat while I'm gone I will try to recover what they have lost. If you have the time look at my EU2 "Three Countries and One Goal" (in my signature) and see what happens to Georgia. Worst case I will continue with what I have left.

3) My goal doesn't change no matter what. I play the hand that's dealt me and I won't cry in my beer no matter what happens. It's what makes playing this way enjoyable. You don't have complete control, which is why in the later part of the game it still retains a precarious feel that you don't have when you just play a single country. ;)

Joe