• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

dag231

Colonel
61 Badges
Sep 13, 2002
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
The Children of Huitzilopochtli - An Aztec AAR

The Children of Huitzilopochtli
An Aztec EU3 AAR

Huitzilopochtli-1.jpg

Introduction
The year is 1453, visions of ravagers from afar, their hair ablaze with the color of the sun, have engulfed the court of Moctezuma Ilhuicamina, the fifth Aztec emperor. If the Children of Huitzilopochtli are to survive the coming apocalypse, they will have to choose a different destiny than that which Painal, the messenger of the god of war and death, of warriors and storms, had prescribed to them. Their story, and how they met the Old World head on, is told through the eyes of Malik, an advisor to the Emprerors.

Settings
1453 Start Year
1.1 Patch
Hard
Gameplay Notes:
  • Tech Modifier - given that the "Convert to Christianity" event doesnt seem to fire, there can be no advancement of civilization for any New World nation beyond the .1 tech... which makes no sense. As such, 50 years after first contact, the tech modifier will be raised to .15 (and raised again at 100 years to .20 and 150 years to .25). At a maximum, the modifier will be 25% of the Latin tech 150 years after first contact, which is not that unreasonable. To balance this, with at least 1 Euopean contact, a relationship of 150+ must be maintained (to represent having a friend and all).
    [Edit: There is a way to have a pagan culture convert to christianity, and this may occur anytime after 150 years of first contact if an eligible prince is available to be sent to Europe to study the ways of the Men of the Bloodied Cross - see the the following Gameplay Note]
  • Leader Death and Stability - Because the Aztecs had a vastly different view about death and the afterlife than Europeans (hence all that sacrificing), there will be no stability penalty if a leader dies. Because this is a warrior culture, all rulers are expected to serve their time as generals, which makes them very vulnerable, as opposed to the European leaders who hide on their thrones... :p
  • Building Boats - If I can figure out how to do it, 100 years after first contact the Aztecs will gain the ability to make boats.
    [Edit: this has been changed - see the the following Gameplay Note]
  • The broken "cant advance past tribal government" will be fixed - see the the following Gameplay Note]

Goal
The subjugation of the Americas under one banner - uniting the native sons and daughters of the Americas and protecting them from the European scourge. If a flag is planted in the Americas, and it can be burnt to the ground, it will be.

Note
This will be a history of the peoples of the Aztec Empires from 1453 onward, as seen in their own eyes and how they lived. As such, it wont be the politically correct version that many learned while in their youth. The Aztec civilization practiced many activities that today would be considered abhorant - my goal will be to present them in a tasteful manner, but one that is consistent with history and within the contexts of the game.

Table of Contents

Prologue

Itzcóatl (April 21 1427 - August 14 1440)

Moctezuma Ilhuicamina (August 14 1440 - May 21 1461)

Regency Council (May 21 1461 - October 13, 1461)
Moctezuma II (October 13, 1461 - June 10, 1474)
Regency Council (June 10, 1474 - June 13, 1476)
Auítzotl (June 13, 1476 - February 4, 1478)
Regency Council (February 4, 1478 - February 8, 1480)
Moctezuma III (February 8, 1480 - May 22, 1481)
Moctezuma IV (May 22, 1481 - August 5, 1488)
Cuitláhuac (August 5, 1488 - January 5, 1495)
Moctezuma V (January 5, 1495 - October 25, 1516)
Cuauhtémoc (October 25, 1516 - September 23, 1540)
Auítzotl II (September 23, 1540 - June 15, 1543)
Axayacatl (June 15, 1543 - April 17, 1558)
Regency Council (April 17, 1558 - May 27, 1558)
Itzcóatl II (May 27, 1558 - February 6, 1570)
Moctezuma VI (February 6, 1570 - October 1, 1592)
Cuitláhuac II (October 1, 1592 - October 6, 1596)
Regency Council (October 6, 1596 - September 14, 1597)
Motelchiuh (September 14, 1597 - July 19, 1615)
Axayacatl II (July 19, 1615 - December 1, 1621)
Regency Council (December 1, 1621 - April 13, 1623)
Cuitláhuac III (April 13, 1623 - May 3, 1630)
Auítzotl III (May 3, 1630 - December 28, 1631)
Tizoc (December 28, 1631 - April 6, 1642)
Tizoc II (April 6, 1642 - November 11, 1651)
Motelchiuh II (November 11, 1651 - October 3, 1672)

Dramatis Personae

Aztecs

Acamapichtli – succeeded Tenoch as Hueyi Tlatoani - an astute politician who strengthened his position more by alliances with his neighbors than by wars

Ahcambal Ezhuahuacatl – the first “Aztec Emperor” (more on this entry later on)

Auítzotl III – beatified by Pope Marcellus in 1630 (more on this entry later on)

Cham Balam – philosopher who served in Moctezuma’s Royal Council

Chsaaxcejl – statesman who served in Moctezuma’s Royal Council and who was the voice of reason and often opposed Quetzalmantzin

Coszcatl – the only daughter of Itzcóatl, she was blessed with the ability of foresight and was inducted as a Priestess of Mixcoatl-Camaxtli. Her visions foretold the coming of Malik and of the Men of the Bloodied Cross

Itzcóatl – the fourth Hueyi Tlatoani - ordered the burning of all historical codices because it was "not wise that all the people should know the paintings” – this allowed a state-sanctioned history and mythos to be developed that venerated Huitzilopochtli

Malik - A Moorish thief who manages to find his way to the shores of Tarasco and becomes a Chief Advisor to the Aztec Emperors

Moctezuma Ilhuicamina – Ruled until 1461, presided over the Zapotec/Mayan war… regarded by historians to be the greatest of the Hueyi Tlatoani … also known as Moctezuma the Great

Nauyotl – an administrative colonial governor who served in Moctezuma’s Royal Council and who advocated expansion into enemy territory

Quetzalmantzin Acatlotzin – the great Tlatoanian General who commanded the Jaguar Warriors during the Zapotec/Mayan war.. also known as the Obsidian Blood Butcher

Tenoch – the first Hueyi Tlatoani who established the oligarchial state mechanism to elect a leader – the Calpulli

Yayauhqui – the High Priest of the Temple of Huitzilopochtli – later known as the Blood Temple

Dieites

Ahuitzotl - a legendary creature of Aztec mythology which was half human and half monkey with a hand protruding from the end of its tail

Huitzilopochtli - the national god of the Aztecs - in addition to being the god of war and the sun, he was also a god of death, young men, warriors, storms, and a guide for journeys

Ilamatecuhtli – goddess who created the stars along with her husband, Citlalatonac – her roar signals war

Mixcoatl-Camaxtli – the god of hunting, war, fate and fire

Nahual – a shapeshifter, either a sorcerer or a witch

Paynal / Painal - impersonator and messenger god of Huitzilopochtli who took on his master's attributes at official functions while the big guy was trapped in the underworld or otherwise unavailable

Quetzalcoatl - mythical cultural hero from whom all peoples descend from

Teoyaomicqui – god of dead warriors

Tezcatlipoca – god of night, the north, the earth, obsidian, enmity, discord, rulership, divination, temptation, sorcery, beauty, war and strife

Xipe Totec – god of was life-death-rebirth, god of agriculture, the west, disease, spring, goldsmiths and the seasons

Xolotl - the god of lightning and a skeleton, a dog-headed man or a monster animal with reversed feet who guided the dead on their journey to the afterlife

Europeans

Baltazar Fernandes – a Portuguese naturalist and explorer who was one of the first Europeans to traverse the former lands of the Mayans and Zapotecs into the Forbidden City of Tenochtitlān. His 1635 publication of “As terras do Aztecatl” brought the term “Aztec” into the lexicon of European society

Pope Marcellus – mid 17th century Papal leader who crowned, and gave Papal Blessing to, Ahcambal Ezhuahuacatl as the “Aztec Emperor” during Ahcambal’s triumphant visit to Rome in 1680 to mark the beatification of Auítzotl III, on the fiftieth anniversary of his death

Natives of the Americas

Ah Xiu – High Chief of the Mayans

Zaachilla – High Chief of the Zapotecs

Miscellaneous

As-Salih Ayyub – the Ayyubid ruler of Egypt who joined with the Khwarezmians in their sacking of Jerusalem

Aztecs – first used by Baltazar Fernandes in his 1635 publication of “As terras do Aztecatl”… used by Pope Marcellus in 1680 when who crowning and giving Papal Blessing to Ahcambal Ezhuahuacatl

Calpulli – elite group who were the oligarchial power of the Tlatoanians – also referred to as the Council of Elders

Hall of Warriors – where the Emperor holds council with the Calpulli and the Royal Council

Hueyi Tlatoani – the title given to the titular head of the Tlatoanians – also referred to as the Great Speaker

Khwarezm – a series of states that occupied the area west of the Holy Lands up to the gates of the Indian sub-continent, and from the Aral Sea to the Persian Gulf. Also known also as Chorasmia, Khwarezmia, Khwarizm, Khwarazm, Khorezm, Khoresm, Khorasam, and Chorezm

Knights of Jerusalem – … three brothers of the Order commissioned Malik to find and steal the Chalice of Christ, as it was within the Khwarezmian held walls of Jerusalem

Raimela of Aquitania – author of Transitus Jamapa - 1750 analytical tome in regards to Moctezuma and his decision to engage in a war of conquest against the Zapotec/Mayan alliance

Royal Council – three permanent great men who were chosen to be advisors to the Emperor – also referred to as Tlatocan

The Chalice of Christ – the cup used by Jesus of Nazareth at the Last Supper. It was originally entrusted to Joseph of Arimathea, who used the cup to catch Christ’s blood as the prophet hung upon the cross

The Men of the Bloodied Cross – from the visions of Coszcatl, the name given to the invaders who would destroy the Tlatoanian way of life

Tlatoainians – the name used prior to 1630 to define the Children of Huitzilopochtli

Tsin Zhou – Chinese admiral who explored the Eastern (Pacific) Ocean and who Malik met during his travels along the fabled caravan route from Antioch to Guangzhou

Note: In many cases, the above information actually took place and has been cribbed from many sources, most notably Wiki...

Last edited:
Oh this is looking to be a winner if this is a preview!

And holy crap, did you read my mind? I was thinking of something similair to this a while back! (yes cc, you have an idea for almost every civ writeup, we know)

Either way, love the premise. I'll be watching.

Yeah, I was thinking about this too -- this is the DREAM scenario! :D

I was hoping someone would start something like this.

Best wishes!

Rensslaer

Oh, the first New World AAR, looks good.

Looking like a fine start. :)

A good prelude to what is about to come. I tried the Aztecs in EUII and it seems that after some 5 wars with European countries, researching technologies becomes a lot easier. So fight those white dogs from early on while they are still weak. Like all the others, I am waiting for the story to begin.

Good luck Dag. You'll need it when the Europeans arrive, they will no doubt be far ahead of you in technology when you eventually meet and greet them.

canadiancreed: glad to see you will be watching... always good to hear from fellow Canucks... :)

Rensslaer: Thanks... will be interesting, since I have never played a New World country before...

Fiftypence: There will be blood, oh yes... :p

HannibalBarca: I will try to do my best to live up to my reputation... ;)

Duke of Wellington: Will post in the library once first update is posted...

GeneralHannibal: the first New World AAR in EU3? I was not aware of that... :cool:

Sir Humphrey: Thanks

CatKnight: Thanks

Maharaja: I dont think that conquering all of the Americas will be possible, given the tech penalty (see more on this below), but I will do my best...

Languish: Thanks

jmtikkan: The White Dogs of the West - or "those with hair of flame" as the visions call westerners, will be useful teachers before they are sacrificed for the glory of Huitzilopochtli

Garuda: No doubt I will be at Land 1 while the Spanish are on Land 9

A Note on Comparitive Technology
I had no idea, when starting this AAR, about the brutal technology gap that exists to punish the New World at the start of the game - there is a thread that I started here, and a second thread involving another person's Inca game here.

As such, there will be a slight modification to my playing style - I will need at least 1 European neighbour and a change to Christianity so I can get the Westernizing event to fire... and then I will kill off the Christian, European neighbour... :p

It will also mean a different strategy, after the initial conquest everything in sight - I assume my first government idea, if and when it ever happens, would be Quest of the New World, so I can hunt down the other New World natives and exterminiate... er, bring them into the fold...

After that, not a clue... :wacko:

Until the westernizing event fires... trade to get a monopoly or production to build Level 1 forts, I suppose...

Great to see you start a EUIII AAR dag123. I think this is going to be a great story, so I am really looking forward to it :)

Prologue

I have observed, during the course of this elongated and stretched life that was cursed upon me, that most chroniclers of history, before they begin to write, pontificate at large at the start of their volumes with a lengthy Prologue or Preface. Their arguments and rationale pressed upon the parchment with such lofty rhetorical flourish as to dazzle their readers, to give their words such lustre and repute as to make them unassailable by future generations.

Alas, I am just not that type of historian.

I am no Latin scholar, no learned prince who spent his years studiously pouring over the scrolls and documents and teachings that combined would forge an intellect worthy of such pontifications. As such, I will not belabor you, the reader, with that fate.

Indeed, such writings would be far above my station, a high perch to which I am humbly not accustomed to nor have ever aspired to achieve.

The achievements and failures, the conquests and sorrows, the valiant tales and despicable acts that I will tell of - they need no lofty preamble or prologue to extol their worth. Much of what will follow has become common knowledge over the years. Some of what I will tell has passed beyond the realm of the common and entered the stuff of legends.

But none of it has been told from my point of view, and that in itself has some merit.

Indeed, much of the history of the Children of Huitzilopochtli is my own personal history. At least from the moment that I washed upon the shores of Tarasco, made my way to the Tlatoanian capital of Tenochtitlan, and, in time, became part of the inner circle of Moctezuma Ilhuicamina, the fifth Aztec emperor.

The time prior to this, is not of this tale.

Suffice to say, the story of a simple Moorish thief who found and drank from the Chalice of Christ as the Kharezmians besieged Jerusalem, how that thief made his way along the fabled caravan route to Guangzhou and then was shipwrecked while in the employ of Tsin Zhou, a Chinese Admiral exploring the mysteries of the Eastern Ocean - what is now referred to as the Pacific Ocean, and how that thief came to lose his memory – albeit temporarily, and find himself washed upon the shores of the Aztec world … well, that tale would fill volumes and be quite worthy of song.

But that epic accounting is for another time.

This story concerns the Children of Huitzilopochtli, and how they met head on the ravagers from the Old World – the sons and daughters of Europe. How they managed to avoid, for the most part, the fate that Painal, the messenger of the god of war and death and of warriors and storms, had prescribed.

In closing I give you, my reader, a simple promise that I hope will carry down through the years as long as writing such as mine remains in favor: that which I have myself seen and the fighting and trials and tribulation that I have gone through, with the help of God, I will describe fairly and simply without embellishment, as a fair eye witness without twisting or manipulating the truths in any such way or another.

Malik
Isla Mujeres
August 21, 1789

Last edited:
FYI - the title page has been cleaned up - additions to the page will be in the Table of Contents and Dramatis Personae (because a lot of these names and deities may be hard to keep track of sometimes, especially given the time frame involved)...

FYI2 - I chose Malik in the role of the Chronicler/Recorder as I needed a device to keep the story in first person narrative, rather than switching to the more textbookish type of AAR that long histories tend to become... hopefully, it will all work out the way I have envisioned it... :rolleyes:

1789?!?!:confused:
But the Americas were invaded about 200 years earlier! :wacko:
Edit: *Subscribed*