• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lord E said:
Yet another vassal is annexed and you grow once more, nice. Seems like the Burgundians had a hard time against the French, but I agree when you say that it is actually a net gain all around, you have made sure to weaken France and they have again weakened Burgundy, this makes sure both of your strong neighbours are weak and have other things to do than trouble you :)
All I have left to fear is Austria! :D No, actually, I do still fear France. It's a powerful country. More on Burgundy in a moment...

coz1 said:
Your growth is going well, and your wealth compared to France has to feel good. More than anything, this is probably how you would best compare to one another now. But watch their growth into Northern Burgundy. That's some rich land.
On the long term, I think comparisons must be by economics. But I do feel weaker, simply because I remain surrounded by enemies, not the least of which is the Ottoman Empire, which I expect to tangle with at some point.

Storey said:
Looks like Burgundy paid the price for you getting out of the war but it could easily have been you. Joe
You're right! Fortunes in these wars -- especially early on -- can completely change the calculus of war. And the AI's especial reluctance to make peace except on their terms meant that I couldn't necessarily choose my exit date. I figured I'd better get out, while I retained the upper hand.

GhostWriter said:
good results. it is a shame that you did not feel inclined to attack Burgundy for another province, or two ! ! ;)
Burgundy is very vulnerable, as they have most of their territory separated from their capital, and even a third non-contiguous patch of territory near me. I certainly considered the sucker punch against Burgundy, but instead decided I'd best put my economic house back in order. As for Papal Controller, Portugal, Bavaria, Austria and Saxony had had it at different brief points, but Castille seemed to have the lion's share of the years to itself. France replaced them, after it had been Castille for several years.

jaddboy said:
Nice work in the war. Looks like you got out at the right time. What/who is next? How is your relationship with Castille? Could they be a potential ally?
Welcome, Jaddboy! Great to have a new reader! Relations with Castille and Aragon are both medium -- maybe -50 or so? Which probably excludes alliance. But I'd also be careful of an alliance with a major power at this stage, because I don't know what they might drag me into! :D

Olaus Petrus said:
Congrats for becoming a major power. You certainly have plenty of possibilities for further expansion. Tuscany and Venice both have rich and nice provinces, but German front could offer nice opportunities too.
Once I break out of my "cage" of greater and lesser powers, I may consider a move northward. It's tempting, but so are so many other moves. :D

Chief Ragusa said:
I note, with approval, that by not taking provinces from Burgundy you have no direct border with France. Your move to annex Modena seals Italy off by land from Venice and done whilst a truce in effect with France means that tehy are not going to jump you any time soon and should they defeat you in war, you can always release Modena again. I assume you are going to try to add Mantua over the next year before trying the persuasion and muscle approach with Tuscany and alliance with Siena.
These comments are exactly in consonance with my thoughts at the time! A period of rest and recovery, and then another strategic move against one of my enemies.

Fulcrumvale said:
How large is your army?
Should be about 24,000, once properly reconstituted. Although (I don't mention this in AAR) I did actually have to disband about 4,000 troops because they had become trapped inside a French vassal and I could not bring them home without military access!

Markiep - I always appreciate comments and suggestions, but I do generally play about 2-5 years ahead of the AAR postings. Less far ahead during peacetime, and further ahead during war. That's because I'll generally play the whole war over a short period of time, and then will play on for a while afterward, whereas the AAR spends more time on the war maneuverings, so it falls behind. I've played up to about 1495 right now. That's still close enough to make use of some comments, generally, but not always.

Topher said:
You seem to be expanding quite nicely. How fares the rest of the known world? The conflicts to the North and East of you (HRE and Balkans/Mideast) are just beginning, but does anyone look to be doing particularly well, or especially terrible? -Topher
You prompted me to pull up an old save game. In 1490, honestly, not much has changed, other than what I've told you. Germany has consolidated into larger nation-units. But there aren't massive changes elsewhere. Muscovy is growing steadily. And I do notice that Ming and Japan are contesting for control of poor Korea, which has almost disappeared. Portugal has taken a small colony in Principe (I think that's the right name for the little island in the Bight of Africa). The Castillians and Portuguese are both eagerly grabbing Venezuela and the Caribbean. And, interestingly, Castille has made contact with the Iroquois, by colonizing Delaware and part of Pennsylvania!

Thanks also to Corbett, Sophianumgamer & Stnylan for your comments!

I'll try to do another update soon, though it's not quite ready yet...

Rensslaer

Topher said:
You seem to be expanding quite nicely. How fares the rest of the known world? The conflicts to the North and East of you (HRE and Balkans/Mideast) are just beginning, but does anyone look to be doing particularly well, or especially terrible?

-Topher
Oops! In addition to the world history I mention in the feedback above, I just realized I hadn't given an update on the situation around Europe, as I'd meant to. That's the next update, which should be coming soon.

Renss

In June of 1489, the Ottomans invaded Hungary and Transylvania. Interestingly, this front has been rather quiet for the past 15 years or so. One of my long-term goals is to roll back the Muslim influence in the Mediterranean, so I’m keeping an eye on this.

OttoHung.jpg

It didn’t help the situation when Hesse (a moderate power) and Bavaria also declared war on Hungary.

In November 1489, we reach Government Tech 3, which gives us the option of Merchant Republic, as a form of government. There are other countries around us which have done this, and it has some good advantages for trade which we’d love to have, but the penalties for switching are more than I’m willing to consider at the moment, and it would also derail our prospects for diplo-annexations.

DelMonte.jpg

Curses! The French have bought away a cardinal who had been following our advice at the Curia. It would be easy for us, still, to influence him back – cheap & 43% chance – but we’re busy saving up to pay off two loans in the next 2 or 3 years. I’d better keep the money if I can manage it. Emergencies only.

WarnTuscany.jpg

Now that Modena is actually part of our country, I feel the time is ripe to take a more aggressive posture toward Tuscany. It’s also that Sicily is about to disappear from the map – if the Tuscans get into it again, it will be time to put them in their place.

Shortly after this, a regional skirmish pops up – Venice vs. Ragusa, with Tuscany and Papal States joining on Venice’s side, and our former enemy Genoa joining on Ragusa’s side. I don’t expect much from this war.

However, the Balkans are really heating up. Transylvania has already given Banat to the Ottomans, and Hungary is suffering badly at the hands of the Turks.

Balkans.jpg

In August of 1490, the Hungarians admitted defeat, ceding two additional provinces to the Ottoman Turks. I watch this unfold with trepidation. There is plenty of land between Milan and the Ottomans. But both because of my perceived religious duty to oppose them, and because of their natural aggressiveness against the Christians, I fear they may one day be central to our foreign policy.

OttoMarch.jpg

Meanwhile, poor, beleaguered Hungary is losing control over others of its scattered provinces. Bavaria is making progress against her northern regions! I do not want to see the bulwarks against the Ottoman threat severely weakened. But there is naught now I can do.

An interesting screenshot… How far the mighty have fallen! Venice finds herself blockaded by the Ragusan Navy.

RagusaPower.jpg

In November of 1490, France declared war upon Brittany, which did not last long against her. France’s consolidation efforts continue, thankfully drawing her attention away from us. Unfortunately, her successful prosecution of this war will strengthen her against us when that time comes. We are only a couple of years, now, away from the end of our truce.

In spring of 1491, France declared war upon Trier, and a couple of other German archbishoprics joined on Trier’s side.

LoanPayoff.jpg

It’s great that we are able to pay off our loans. I continue the same fiscal restraint that allowed me to pay off the first, and then I pay off the 2nd. Free of debt, once more, I start looking toward what else I should focus upon.

Finances1491.jpg

In late 1491, we discover an opportunity to hire a prominent German merchant as a consultant to our empire. He promises to turn around our pitiful record in trade, and we decide to trust him to do what he can. He can’t do worse!

Armansperg.jpg

And, finally, by November 1491, we had restored our relations sufficiently with our vassal Mantua that they might consider becoming part of our empire. We do ask them, and this time they agree. Milan expands, yet again!

MantuaAnnex.jpg

I'd like to echo the comments of those before. You're in fairly good shape, but the next test will come soon, and likely before you are ready. I figure your manpower isn't in great shape after such a war, and it will need to bounce back before you try anything.

In terms of trade, I've never had huge problems establishing and maintaining merchants in foreign CoTs. You just have to remember not to overreach. Pick one CoT, and work it until you dominate it. Then move to a new one, slowly building up your presence. Someone mentioned a 60% income figure, and I can't imagine it. When I'm doing well in trade, though, it often approaches 20% of my income.

Your biggest threat, other than a vengeful France, is Austria. Though Austria hasn't picked up Bohemia or Hungary, they are still quite capable of hurting any nation in the game. France is scary in this game, so don't think that your gains will weaken them much.

Good to see you writing again, my friend. :)

EDIT: Just saw the most recent update.

Before you worry about the Ottomans, mind your own house first. A united, Milanese Italy will be able to defend Christianity far better than Milan can now. Again, overreaching will kill you in this game, as it does in life.

Looks like you are ready to tussle with Tuscany now, should the opportunity arise.

stnylan said:
Looks like you are ready to tussle with Tuscany now, should the opportunity arise.
Indeed. Defeating them and keeping the two vultures known as France and Austria at bay will greatly strnghten your chances of uniting Italy and becoming a force.

A 24,000 man army is huge; huge enough that I suspect it won't go long without another fight.

Tuscany is bigger than I thought, yet once more it stands between Milan and Italian unity. Your army is large enough to sweep through the Tuscan possessions and take them within the year, with a little bit of luck. Paradoxically, the Ottomans helped you by taking the Balkan possession of the Tuscans.

Nice. Paying off those loans helps tremendously. And yes, it's time to tangle with the Tuscans.

By the way - where exactly is Genoa at this time? You've got their capital. :rofl:

coz1 said:
Nice. Paying off those loans helps tremendously. And yes, it's time to tangle with the Tuscans.

By the way - where exactly is Genoa at this time? You've got their capital. :rofl:
He mentioned it earlier, though a while back. They revolted in the Crimea. :D

Very nice AAR. You've got me breathless with your updates :)

Thanks for indulging my intrest in the wider world (It was an even more complete tour than I was hoping for :) ). My recent experiences with inheritance have caused me to become much more concerned with the budding threats in other regions, as I may end up inheriting them (pun intented).

The Ottoman advance is troubling, especially if you are considering expanding in that direction, since that either gives the Ottomans the opportunity to snatch up even more territory when you move in and destabilize the situation, or leaves you with less valuable provinces (due to no land connection to the capital) and a harder time securing them if you skip over Venice/Austria/Hungary. It might be a good idea to start cultivating, or at least vetting, allies for your Balkan crusade.

-Topher

Others have suggested attack against Tuscany. I too think that it can be good move, but be carefull. After all they are allied with Venice and Papacy, so defeating all three Italian powers isn't too easy task and you need big armies to do that.

Heh, poor Venice humbled by Ragusa! :D

The Tuscans are looking a little too big these days... better deal with them before they get even bigger.

I liked that vscreenie with Ragusa. "If you look really closly, where this arrow is pointing, you might see mighty Ragusa." :D
Rensslaer said:
become trapped inside a French vassal and I could not bring them home without military access!
Is it just me or do that sound like something that could be in Knud Knýtling? :p

Gain the rest of Italy, and you shall easily be a match for the craven French and more than a match for the Austrians.

I know that you will have to keep one eye on the west, and you say you have plans for Tuscany. But Venice is the best place for you to think on now, as a long-term goal. Whether patient diplomacy (and vassalization) or a carefully placed military offensive while they are engaged elsewhere... there is no target in your reach more deserving of attention than Venice. At least that's my opinion. :p

For whatever reason, our acquisition of Mantua seems to have gotten countries around the world to notice the growth of Milan. We receive offers of alliance – the first in a decade.

BrandAlliance.jpg

The offer of alliance with Riga we turn down – too many potential entanglements for so little gain.

But we are intrigued by Brandenburg’s offer. She is a powerful country, aggressively expanding in northern Europe. We are wary of a dispute she seems to have with England, and she is already at war with Norway. But Brandenburg’s current allies are Hesse (another growing German power), and Austria.

Now, we do not necessarily want to be drawn into the wars which Brandenburg is likely to fight. On the other hand, they are distant from us, and unless she gets into a tangle with England, I don’t anticipate we will be much threatened with embroilment from such a war, even if we are forced to join.

The benefits, however – what if, say, Austria declared war upon us, and called her allies? Brandenburg would be forced to choose between us. And while they might be closer to Austria, diplomatically, I consider that her divided loyalties offer us at least a chance of either dishonouring her alliance with both of us – which would not be altogether bad – and perhaps even of us gaining Brandenburg’s assistance on Austria’s northern flank!

We accept.

VeniceOtto.jpg

Now… You’ve seen the screenie (above). What was your first reaction? ;) Mine too.

As much as I despise the Ottomans. And as much as I recognize that Venice has potential to be our enemy, and therefore this might not be so bad if they are humbled. But come on – do the Venetians really believe they are in a strategic position to even defend their ragged coastal pockets against the mighty Turk?! Forget making gains against them. We shake our heads.

And I am also not very hopeful that the Tuscans will fall on their faces for their folly of following this fateful Venetian farce. Okay…. I’ll lay off all alliteration along the lines of this ill advised alliance. I just don’t see the Tuscans paying the price I’d like them to pay.

I find great amusement in seeing (refer to below screenshot with the budget) that Cologne has successfully invaded France! That’s part of the French aggression against Trier, which apparently is working less to their advantage than they thought they could expect. :D

Budget1492.jpg

Milan’s economy is still being sapped by a negative tax income modifier we got via event some time back (where we got funds up front from the sale of ecclesiastical properties, but suffered reduced tax in the long-term). We also have failed to make any substantial inroads in trade.

Soon, this will all hopefully be past us, and we can begin truly building our economy. In August, we paid off our last of the two wartime loans (just in time for the truce with France to expire!). I’m happy to be paying off loans – that is critical to our economic survival, as those loans will drag you under if not paid on term (or soon thereafter). Besideswhich, we “gain back” the money we were spending on interest for these loans.

HeatDeath.jpg

Our merchant empire finally suffers “heat death” at the end of January, as Giuseppe finally succumbs, and we have no active merchants left in the whole world!

TuscOtto.jpg

Interestingly, we find ourselves witness to a battle between the Ottoman navy and the Tuscans. The Ottomans have not fared well, at least in this battle. I don’t dare to hope that Venice will survive intact, though.

I wish I knew how our own navy would do against Tuscany…

Over the summer, we turn down an offer of alliance with Siena (which rests in the shadow of Tuscany). We do this not because we wish to avoid war with Tuscany (which we do not), but because I want it to be on our terms – we already guarantee Siena’s independence, so if Tuscany invades, we will have the option (not the obligation) to declare war in her defense.

I wonder why you don't stab back the Venetians and Tuscans. Now, when they are in trouble with Turks, is the best possible moment to strike against them.