• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

_Curieus_

First Lieutenant
2 Badges
Nov 25, 2004
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • 500k Club
HeinrichvonFranken2-1.gif

From his Majesty
Heinrich, Holy Roman Emperor, King of Burgundy, King of Italy, Duke of Franconia, Count of Nassau, Leiningen and Franken.

To his Loyal subjects Eckbert Count of Ostfriesland von Braunschweig and the Court of Friesland both Proper and between Eems and Lauwer.

We, Heinrich, Holy Roman Emperor, King of Burgundy, King of Italy, Duke of Franconia, Count of Nassau, Leiningen and Franken, having acquainted myself firstly with your disposition on the immorality of allowing Eckbert Count of Ostfriesland von Braunschweig to represent the Friesland both proper and between Eems and Lauwer, secondly with the justification as spoken by Eckhard Count of Ostfriesland von Braaunschweig, thirdly of the righteousness of the claims concerning your status as Alloidal Nobility with the rights contained therein as described by our illustrious predecessor Charles the Great and adhered to by our closer predecessors, fourthly the need of law and order and proper lines of communication and loyalty as pre-ordained find that:

Of the first, we agree that it is not proper that Alloidal Nobility be represented by Feudal Nobility, the first being master in their own house in their own right, all be the house small, the second being master in their own house by the grace of their Liege Lord, all be the house Large and Weighty.
Of the second, we find that is the right as granted in charter by our illustrious predecessors of the Ommelanden to care for law and order in their own ways as tradition dictate. With the provision that any treason against the Holy Roman Emperor will be dealt with the Imperial Courts.
Of the Third it is our opinion that while rotation of the judges bench is no concern to our person, an endless procession of new faces would be a sore vexation and consequently imposition upon our person.
Of the fourth in compliance with the statutes set up by our illustrious Predecessors every voice has to swear loyalty to the Holy Roman Emperor. If this Voice and your Judge be the same person travel would leave him little time to arrange for law and order in his ancestral lands.

Therefore we decide the following

Eckbert Count of Ostfriesland von Braunschweig no longer represents Friesland both Proper and between Eems and Lowers. Henceforth he will represent his Fief of Ostfriesland alone.
As compensation Eckbert Count of Ostfriesland von Braunschweig may choose a new liege lord within the Holy Roman Empire.
The Ommelanden will free the Current Judge from his duties and appoint him, and the descendants the Lord may see fit to grant him, permanent representative of Friesland both Proper and Between Eems and Lauwer.
The Permanent Representative will no longer be able to directly appeal the Our Person but instead will cause the highest authority in the Duchy of Lower Lorraine, this without change of HIS Alloidal status. All other Nobility will depending on their nobility swear loyalty or fealty to this representative
The Representative will have as coat of arms a shield divided in two vertical fields.
The left field will show on a coat of gold both a silver sixpointed star and half an Imperial Eagle sable of colour and having beak and claws of Gules. The right field will hold the representatives own coat of arms.
Henceforth Friesland, both Proper and Between Eems and Lauwer will be recognized by this Coat.

Made up and Sealed
The day before Saint Matthews Day In The Year Of Our Lord 1066
{the seal of} Heinrich von Franken
{the seal of} Holy Roman Emperor

Intro, of the second part

Like a blanket, silence fell over the room as Abel finished reading the Imperial missive.
Slowly he looked around. The room was filled with his peers, those people well off, owning such tracts of land that they were eligible to be Judge in their Land.

A position of importance and influence, since the Judge held sway over life and banishment, and sometimes even death. The Judge was the one who collected and earned the duties levied on the guilty.
Being a Judge was lucrative.
Being a Judge was a balancing act, for each family would only hold the position for one year before it transferred to the next. The family whose Judge that was seen to be unreasonable or greedy, would pay many times over in the following years.

An important position, yet in the eyes of the Empire a local and therefore an insignificant affair. These men however had no masters. Not even the Emperor held their ground in property, and this was why it rankled so much that for so long, those feudal lords in Ostfriesland, those inflated slaves of their masters had claimed to speak for the Free men of Friesland. And when those slaves used the extra influence to improve their situation at the cost of Friesland, they knew that they had to correct the matters. So they appealed to the emperor, as one nephew appeals to his Uncle.

Abel had started the appeals and through the years with ceaseless toil he kept abreast and sometimes even ahead of the wily von Braunschweigs. Abel started, since he could read and write Latin and since the Judge at that time was from his family.
Ten long years did the Appeals process take till finally the Emperor gave in.
He died.
And his successor did not exactly rejoice in the prospect of spending another 10 years listening to this boring case where boring old men droned about boring old facts. So he decided that he did not have the wisdom of Solomon and split the territory in two.

Breaking the silence before it could become uncomfortable, the current Judge intoned “It seems this is the end of the line, Abel. And whatever our Emperor says, i am not willing to become a figure head for the sake of our youthful eminence.”
A few assenting nod were seen in the Room.
“The way I see, it”, Abel replied, “Is that we currently have a take it or leave it offer. This is the first time that we didn't have to travel to receive the answer. The first time that we get answer actually, and i think that refusing would put us in a situation worse than 10 years ago. I think it would be wise to accept. Or does anyone here prefer that zealous servant from the east?”

The men in the room stood up and shouted their rejection of Eckbert von Braunschweig.

“That may wel be so, Abel... But still none here will be that 'Permanent Representative', or is there one?” The Judge looked around, but no one was willing to meet his gaze, “So i think, as Judge, that since you started this mess, You finish it: Abel van Bolhuis we nominate you to be our permanent representative”

ekbertvonbraunschweig.gif

"The wily zealot" Eckbert von Braunschweig

Before Abel could react, the first man congratulated him already.

As the din subsided, the people decided to go home, the weighty business of the day concluded. Before Abel could leave, the Judge spoke one more time: “Abel, should it work, please don't be angry, could you help us with obtaining a new courthouse? This one is close to collapse. See it as a deed of mercy”

abelvanbolhuis31.gif

Abel van Bolhuis

Very good so far. I like the overly bueracratic and formal missives. :D

Excellent start to an AAR.

And the needs of the people are always many. :D

A good opening, both the announcement and the narrative. I wonder if the ruling arrangement might change soon. ;)

I like this so far, the usage of feudal legal terms is entertaining.

Great start!

Seems a bit silly of the nobles to give Abel the position of the "permanent representative" just because they couldn't be bothered themselves. I think they might be in shock when they see how Abel goes about his "representation" bussines. ;)

Shuma said:
Great start!

Seems a bit silly of the nobles to give Abel the position of the "permanent representative" just because they couldn't be bothered themselves. I think they might be in shock when they see how Abel goes about
his "representation" bussines. ;)

Thanks for the hint. I will work out the background of Abel and his peers a bit more. Probably that will enlighten why they are not so keen on being a permanent representative.
So i guess an introduction of the third part is required. I guess Abel will have to wait a bit more before he can continue further (I have played the first 20 years now).

Veldmaarschalk said:
It seems that everyone is after poor Ekbert van Braunschweig

But not (yet?) in the unscrupulous manner you (sorry, the van Zutphens :) ) are.

Things might go slow this week, since i will be busy almost every evening. (And must be up before dawn :( , Luckily dawn is late this time of year )

¨Well, Abel, that is a sticky situation you have gotten yourself into...
Permanent Representative, hmmpf. Of what? All the Ommelanden. Each having its own agenda, and relations with each other, which are liable to change with each single new Judge in one of the Ommelanden. Just try to get all to agree on one practical subject. You might as well try to tie herd a flock of mink.
At least you don't have to worry yet about West-Friesland, Emsingo and Jeverland, but good luck on getting Westergo, Oostergo, Zuidergo, Hunzingo and Fivelingo, to agree with you. You'd need a golden tongue to achieve that, and you don't rate more than silver.
Permanent Representative... Count without backing would be a better title “
Abel's father sighed.
“Anyway, what will you use to complete your coat of arms? “

“As for your second question, i am thinking of using a green land under a blue sky. The horizon will show the width of the land. On the land there will be a goose to depict the vigilance, required of us as Christians. The goose will hold a trefoil clover to indicate the source of our claim to prominence.
As for the golden tongue i need, i hope to entice Clara to help me”

“Not even count yet, and already you start stripping the land from her jewels. If you take Clara, then who will take care of the farmstead when we are old? You will be too busy to direct the farmhands, and now you take Clara too.”
The twinkle in his fathers eye told Abel that his father was jesting. “If it doesn't work out, you will not have to worry about that, then i will have plenty time. If it does work out, then give it to a suitable nephew or cousin. You can always depend on a country cousin.
Now if we are finished, then i will speak with Clara.”

wapgr.gif

The coat of arms as devised by Abel

edit: inclusion of Zuidergo

Last edited:
Ok, a better explantion as to why they let Abel have the position. :)

Looking forward to seeing who this Clara is. I mean, she'd have to be pretty good if Abel thinks she can get the families in line.

Lots of difficult decisions to make when you become a co... a permanent representative ;)

An Inn in Mezieres I

Well Abel, “ Clara said,” Tomorrow we leave Mezieres for Sedan. From Sedan it is only one day to Bouillon, so i think you should instruct our guards. Tell them what they can expect, and how they should react¨
“Can't you do it? I still have to polish my oath of allegiance in a way that honours the emperors instruction, but without binding us into feudalism. Besides you instructed me on all the political ramifications of this location”
“No, I think its better if you speak to the men, firstly they will pay more attention to what you say than what i say. Secondly, they must get used to seeing you giving instructions and orders, otherwise these feudal lords will misunderstand the situation and think Friesland is ripe for the plunder. Remember we must be guileless as doves and slippery as snakes in this predicament.
Thirdly, the less people know about me beforehand, the less likely are they to make preconceptions and plans. Absence of those will make my work easier. In all treaties and actions *you* must be perceived as the acting agent, so i can use female gentleness, why you must use male strength. “
Abel laughed, “And so seeing me as the arrogant brash count they will try to find a way to circumvent my muleheadedness and turn to that sympathetic little sister of mine. A good thing they don't realize that the softer glove hides the harder hand. They will get ripped of and even enjoy the process. I like it. “
“Little?? Be careful what you are saying, or i will regale your guests with tales of your youth, and how cute you were, except for those dirty diapers.” The smile around Claras mouth belied the threat.
“You wouldn't dare!
No you wouldn't, even though it would amuse you, my dear *little* sister, because it would ruin your game. You'd have to step into the limelight. Although even there you could be very helpful, are you sure about your decission?” Abel asked.
“Yes, I will stay in the shadows, if only to prevent all those bothersome marriage proposals who only see your large tracts of land. Besides staying in the shadows will also increase the survival rates of my son. So that a capable cousin of yours can take over the family business.”

“It is your choice, and i will respect that.” Abel replied, “It might even be wisest course in the current situation. Now, off i go to instruct the men. My oath has to wait.”

Abel left the room and went to the common room of the inn.

Last edited:
Nothing like a little sibling teasing to make the miles go quicker.

The Inn in Mezieres II

Gathering all his men into a corner of the common room, Abel switched to his native Friesian, so that hopefully, none of the other men present could understand it.

“Men, We all know that we are all equal before God! But where we will be going there will be many of those who don't know that. They see their brothers as masters, competitors or servants.
They think of those who refuse to think along those lines as weak. And to them weak translates to 'justified prey'.
The truth of the matter is, as compared to some of the men we will meet two days hence, Friesland is weak. Yes, I see you mutter, I see you grumble and your protest fills me with pride, for it shows that you have not fallen to the same delusions as those 'Nobles', who have made Power their abomination, and might their Right. But as each of you as a free man is worth two of their soldiers, remember that there are who have ten times as many soldiers as we have free men. Remember also that even if you are worth two, you can only die once.
So what i am going to ask is to show those 'Nobles' our Strength, our Unity. Yes i see the grimace some of you displayed at these words. Unity, you think, we are each very different.
Yes you are different, but tell me, is it worth fighting over a difference in pronunciation when the wolves on the sidelines are speaking a different language? Is it more important to worry whether a court needs four or five judges than to worry about outsiders who'd rather remove the whole court.
So i am going to ask all of you to listen to what everyone else is saying, and when asked where you are from, reply Friesland, instead of your Ommeland. You will not be lying for Friesland is constituted from these Ommelanden. Lets not allow outsiders to meddle in our internal affairs.

What i am going to ask each of you, going by ommeland, is hard, but necessary.
In Bouillon and even in Sedan, don't behave as if we are at an Allthing, because we are not. And outsiders will perceive our discussions as weakness.
When I am speaking, do not interrupt me, especially not to contradict me. This will be perceived as weakness. You will have questions, you will want answers, as is your good right. But appoint for each ommeland 1 spokesperson. This person can approach Clara here, so she can decide whether it is important enough to call me away from a discussion.
I will go away now, so that you can chose your spokesmen. Then if you still have questions, i will answer them, you can all be present an the questioning hour to listen. But as practice, only the spokesmen can pose a question.”

Last edited:
Well what the permanent representative suggests sound all very reasonable, but it remains to be seen if they are ready to put their squabbles aside and act in unity. And nice touch with the sibbling jibes.

The Lay of the Land

Half an hour later a knock on the door to Abels room announced the arrival of the spokesmen for the Ommelanden. Some smiled at Abel and Clara, others merely nodded politely. In silence the rest of the men trooped in.

"Well I guess there are questions," Abel said, "and you probably already decided who will start. So lets begin"

"Abel, the first question is why we are here in Mezieres, when the personal holdings of Godfried d'Ardennes are the Barony of Breda and the County of Andernach."
LoLo1066.gif

"A good question Sietse. At first it may seem illogical to find ourselves so close to the borders of the Duchy, yea actually within the borders of the Kingdom of France. The first reason for it is ease of travel. Tomorrow we will continue on by boat over the river Meuse until we reach Sedan. From there we will travel over land towards Bouillon.

The second reason is that Bouillon is the family holding of the Ardennes family. It is here that we will have to give the oath"

"Abel, the second question is why does Godfried want us in Bouillon, when he probably has more comfortable castles in his demesne"

"Well Eppo, that is because Godfried wants to send a message. A message to his vassals, and more specifically to the count of Luxemburg. Luxemburg is a wealthy county and the current family has tried for a long time to elevate Luxemburg to the level of Duchy, implying that it would no longer be subservient to Godfried of Ardennes. By having us take the oath here, he wants to tell the current count of Luxemburg to be careful, because of the significant military holdings Godfried still holds within this county."

"But Abel, how can Godfried threaten with violence? Isn't he a cripple?"

"Cripple isn't the right word, but it is true, Jannes that he is not sound of life and limb. He is a hunchback which seriously hampers his military prowess. He isn't stupid however. He is a convincing speaker and has no problems attracting the right advisors. Further more he has a reputation of being both honest and forgiving, for that that repent that is.. All these are traits that will help him control the majority of his vassals with a gentle but firm hand. But as said before, the count of Luxemburg remains a wild card"

"Will not Ekbert von Braunschweig try to hinder the taking of the oath"

"Fokke, I expect not. Rumour has it that he already pledged fealty to Magnus Billung instead of Godfried d'Ardennes. After all the armies of Magnus are closer than those of Godfried."

"Will Godfried not blame us for that"

"He will certainly try, but with help from Clara, i hope to find the right way to turn Ekberts defection into an advantage for us"

A somewhat convoluted situation. I look forward to see how they hope to turn aside the Duke's ire.

Who? What? Where? When? I am as confused as the Ommenladen people are! Although I am not as silly as to discount the duke so easily for being a hunchback. Its good Abel appreciates the strenghts of his liege.