• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Von Uber

Baron
38 Badges
Apr 29, 2005
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
Baltijas Republika - A Doomsday AAR

Beginnings..

5th March, 1919. 34km from Tallinn.

The sound of artillery was closer now - closer than it had been for weeks. Major-General Johan Laidoner tiredly rubbed his eyes. Two days without sleep, surviving on week-old bread and water - and he knew he was lucky to have that.
Again he poured over the map, trying desperately to find a way out - his men deserved that he at least try. Forces to the East, to the North - and now rumours of a large army, a days march away coming to his rear. How the hell had Trotsky done that? He had the luck of the Devil - There were just too many of those damned Bolsheviks!

He swept the map off the small table in frustration, pacing the confines of his small field tent. It was no good: he was beaten - he knew it, and secretly he believed the men knew it as well.

Suddenly there was a noise filtering though the canvas: It sounded like a cheer. Then another, and another, growing in volume and intensity. Wild, loud cheers, a sound he hadn't heard since they had marched proudly out from Tallinn all those months ago.

Sweeping aside the tent flaps he stared out across the dull, grey plain, dotted with small tents and campfires. Men were running towards a dim smudge in the distance - a line of marching men, who were returning the soldiers cheers. Closer now he saw two figures on horseback arriving at a canter through a throng of men who surged around them, running alongside, trying to keep pace.

Laidoner stood stiffly, watching them through hooded eyes as they drew level and saluted.

"Colonel Kārlis Stučka, 5th Lithuanian Light Cavalry; this is Captain Talsi, 1st Latvian Infantry: you are General Laidoner? We have brought a proposal for you."

Laidoner stared past them at the marching men in the distance, then bowed deeply and motioned them into his tent. He paused briefly before he entered: around him men were gathering weapons, hope in their faces; marching out to meet the advancing columns.

Perhaps Trotsky was not so lucky after all.

This will be a Baltic AAR following the trials of a United Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia. Most of the modding is done, all that's left is a few flags, small stuff like that.

I'll post some more background later. :)

Links to Chapters!

Prewar

Beginnings..
Prosperity
A hard place to be..
And so it begins...
August 1936 - June 1937
July 1937 - Jan 1st, 1939

There may be trouble ahead..
Choosing friends..
Hard Rock, Hallelujah..
The neighbours are a bit rowdy..
I told you those Nordics were nothing but trouble..

The First Soviet - Baltic War

If i should die, O Lord..
A near run thing..
This is going all rather well, isn't it...
Moving the drinks cabinet 4ft closer to Moscow.
Well, at least the Fins are facing less troops now..

Weight of numbers has a quality all of its own..
What's the Polish for 'charge'?
What do you mean the General's gone to Italy??
Endgame

End of the First Soviet - Baltic War

Intermezzo.
Seconds out, Round Two!
Achtung! Panzer!
The German's are using aimbot..
Watchful Peace
Everything changes but you..

Put your hands up for Detroit
And the world shall hold its breath..
Intermezzo
No room to manouvere

The Great German - Baltic War

Wie komme ich am besten zu Berlin, bitte?
Who forgot the planes?!
I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die..
A few more victories like this and there'll be no army left.
Consolidation, recuperation..
Onwards and upwards.
Oh, three boats - great!

Not one step backwards, Comrades..
I was in your arms, thinking I belonged there.. I figured it made sense, building me a fence..
All the things I could do.. if I had a little money..
When will the retreating end?! Oh the humanity!
Things are starting to look up! Even with the Reds being dastardly and pernicious.
Having lots of manpower is over rated.
Cleaning up a girl's sick in my bathroom at 3:00a.m is not my idea of a good Friday night out.
And the Soviets are still sitting in their trenches, doing nothing.
Why are women all mental?
I mean, I can never undestand them.. mind you, can any man?
Well, obviously, we'll shorten it if it is too long..!
Bleeding a Nation dry.

The retreat to Riga

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Watching, Waiting, Planning..
Right, woman, get down those mines!
Well, a Soviet Cordon would at least protect you from Germany.
It's all gravy.
Haven't we been here before..?

The fightback

Name? MOOOO! Age? MOOOOOOOOOOO! Give this man a rifle!
DAMN YOU STALIN!
Lurching from crisis to crisis.
Black day in July, sorry, August.
Danzig - Or WAR!! Oh, hang on..
Going nowhere..
Kick in the door and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down.

The Capture of Berlin

BERLIN.
The Ring Goes South
Damn the Russians move fast.
Breakout.
I had coffee with a nice Sicilian girl on sunday, incidentally (Part one)
I had coffee with a nice Sicilian girl on sunday, incidentally (Part two)
It's about time we said hello to my girlfriend of 3,5 years..
She thinks HOI2 is boring.. and says hello to you all.
It's a good question.. where has the German Army gone?

And still no sign of the Allies...
So I've been invited to Sicily.. given the problems my last Italian trip caused, I am guessing it isn't a good idea to go..
Jag tycker att Adolf inte har en chans... kanske..
I don't think I'll risk another Swedish title..
Yes I know the other parts were playing as well, before you all start.
Manpower looking positive? Well, that's one way of looking at it..
Oh God, not another Estonian..
Well at least they don't speak a made-up language with funny letters and stupid grammar. Some people call it 'Swedish'.
A bit too stable on the Western Front eh White Daimon?
Let's all forget about the chocolate shall we?
If you've never been, I recommend a trip to see the castles of Wales.
Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam..
Facebook - is it me or is there something vaguely stalker-like about it?
Yay! I have a week off work!

The Great Assault on the Third Germano-French Reich

Dawn
This time we are playing for keeps.
From Paris to Berlin, and every disco I've been in..
Welcome aboard, Andreios II.. although there aren't enough lifeboats now, bad luck.
These titles are quite hard to think up sometimes you know!
So, the exhaust on my car fell off on Saturday.
There's nothing like driving a hire car on site..
This is HQ to Alpha Assault - What is your situation?
Corsa's are crap. FACT.
Tomorrow's hire car: a Chevrolet Lacetti. Oh what joy..
Der Untergang

Defeat of the Third Reich

An image for you here..
This update is a bit dull, to be honest.
You all forget that the Superpower of Italy is still alive.
Ftaufs Ublbdtj.. nnnnnnnnnnnn
This is the voice of the Mysterons.
"The solution is naval bombers, as always". Yeah, thanks Einstein.
BOOOOORRRRRRIIIIINNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG!!!

Conquest of Italy

Just might be the end of Italy..

End of The Great German - Baltic War

Save the Cheerleader, save the World.
Drums in the Deep. They are coming.
Dark Skies.
The g/f has had her wisdom teeth out this w/e.. guess how much fun it has been for me, on a scale of 1-10.

The lights are going out.

The Second Soviet - Baltic War

A day of infamy.
Or even today.
What began as a conflict over the transfer of consciousness from flesh to machines..
I watched Grabben i graven bredvid and thought it pretty good to be honest.
Rotten Venetic
And this is where I get off, Dr Freeman.
Well, this was an interesting turn of events..
Ask and you recieve!
I'm off to Vienna on Monday! (Part 1)
I'm off to Vienna on Monday! (Part 2)
I'm off to Vienna on Monday! (Part 3)
Sorry about the delay.. but I do have a life outside of HOI2..
I'm picking up good vibrations..

The lunge for Moscow

It was my Birthday yesterday! Where were my presents eh?
The recall of the Legions.
So after 4 years, me and the g/f have split up..
Well, last night was fun. Oh yes.
Moscow? HAH! Fat chance..
Serious fun with a hire car in the Lake District.
Current speed is fine.
Lot's of Swedes in the front lines..
If.. Everything comes down to 'if'.
Ok, that was a bit longer break than I wanted..
Midlife crisis? Don't forget the 5-years younger swedish girlfriend..
Ways to keep a pie warm #234
Just to confuse matters, a German girl has appeared on the scene.. watch this space.
A step closer to disaster.
Just shut up and let me go, HEY!
Well that was a turn up for the books..

The calm before the (bigger) storm.
I am aiming to have this done before HOI3 comes out, honest.
The Black Day of the Baltijas Republika Army
Swedish girl turns up in 12 days! Yay!

The abandonment of the Moscow Offensive

I can ride my bike with no handlebars
Intermezzo

The creation of the Czechoslovakian pocket

The fightback begins here.
I aint freaking I aint faking this
This, this is the way, this the way I want to live, I'm going through changes
Borde jag bo i Sverige nästa år?
Now I aint saying she a Gold Digger..

Elimination of the pocket

Jag tycker om en svenska flicka..
Way to avoid writing my Chartership reports #216
Heaven holds a sense of wonder and I wanted to believe that I'd get caught up when the rage in me subsides.
Ondskan. What a cheerful book.

The fight for Czechoslovakia

I'll mace you good!
Seriously, my stomach just goes funny thinking of her..
Some tales should not be forgotten.
Not quite Czech-mate.
It's so much fun when your g/f is ill, isn't it.
A quick review.
I am the resurrection and I am alive..
It still annoys me all these years later
Sometimes you have to remember where your grandparents come from..

Last edited:
Good luck! It's been a long while since a Baltic AAR of any sort was done!

Maybe these Baltic states won't fall so easily.

Prosperity

1921 - 1929

Following the crushing of Bolshevik forces by the combined Lithuanina, Estonian and Latvian Armies (aided by a timely shipment of arnaments from Britain), the Treaty of Ida-Virumaa (signed January 1921) established the borders of the three countries with the Bolshevik leadership. Lithuania proved to be the biggest winner of this, obtaining a few former Polish provinces in the south, much to the chagrin of Poland.

nwrusspow02nc8.jpg

Losing 10,000 dead, with 25,000 captured, the conflict swiftly ended for the Bolsheviks

This began the surpringly swift process of turning the three countries into a form of Federal State. With each former country representing a State of the new Republic, members were elected to the new Parliament (modelled on the successful British system of first-past-the-post) which was held alternatively each year in each former capital. critics who pointed out the waste and expense, seeing it as an excuse for MP's to have a house in each city, were not a minority.

After a fractious beginning with widespread allegations of bribery and vote rigging, the first Parliament of the new Republic was sworn in on March 3rd, 1923.

vevj001mw9.jpg

Anxious crowds await news of the first elections

Given the diverse ethnic and religious make up of the new Republic, widespread predictions that these tensions would cause the Republic to fall apart within weeks was a common notion throughout Europe. However, the Republic had two things going for it that helped it weather the early tensions: First, an economic boom was experienced throughout the country. It being a gateway between the Communist East and the Capatalist West, Trade flowed through it (much of it, it has to be said, black market goods into Soviet territory) which in turn provided the spring board for further economic and soicial development. Secondly, a decision by the ruling Government to be a secular Government and tolerate all religions and provide freedom of worship for all, ensured that the private affair of religoius belief remained private.

This was a radical step, and widely believed to be unworkable, but as optimists pointed out: "If it works in the Balkans, it can work here".

Throughout the 1920's, relations with Germany were high. German military missions were allowed to participate in (and, it must be said, heavily influence) military manouevers within the Republic (often with visiting british missions in next door barracks - several inventive excuses were needed on occasion as to why some soldiers 'seemed strangely familiar'). The Government was also keen to keep links strong with the former Allied countries, most notably Britain. The more observant citizens couldn't help but see this careful balancing act.

impgear2tw4.jpg

German troops practising at a Republic Army Training Area

This cosy relationship with Germany began to be overshadowed by the rise of Adolf Hitler. The increading support for Nazism within Germany led to a cooling in relations, as the Republic was unsure of the motives behind the Bohemian Corporal. The more ardent Right wingers in the Government saw them as a valuable ally against the ever present threat of Bolshevism, with their critics simpling handing them a copy of Mein Kampf, with certain paragraphs underlined.

hitlerdf6.jpg

Hitler espoused the Aryan ideal of the tall, blue-eyed blonde being superior to all; except short, brown-haired people.

Large sections of the population were ethnic Germans, who commanded a sizeable section of the vote. It was a brave politician indeed who spoke openly about their mistrust of Germany. The Soviet Union, on the other hand, was fair game for all.

The economic boom helped to salve the worries of the populace - indeed the region had become more prosperous than in recent memory. Rumours of economic troubles halfway around the world did not trouble people - hopes were high as 1929 came to an end.

Last edited:
The Baltics should join the allies, Hitler just wants to enslave them.

This has been my dream since i was born! A BALTIC AAR!
Your my new hero Von Uber, please, let me be your slave! :D

EDIT: As the post under me already says, try to form an alliance with the Scandinavian countries :p

Baltia should rid themselves of the chains of capitalism, communism and fascism, and join with the Nordic states to create The Grand Alliance of Österhav!

Raudsarw said:
Your my new hero Von Uber, please, let me be your slave!

:wacko:
Make an alliance with all the smaller countries around the world, then take down the big boys!

Soviet Union vs Mongolia, Tannu Tuva, Persia, Afghanistan, Siam, Hatia, Cuba, Albania, Denmark, Manchuria, Tibet, Nepal, Bhutan.........

Well, one more 'history' update before I post screenies of the starting position - I doubt i will get a chance to play until Monday, after I've packed the g/f off to Thailand for two weeks :D

Incidentally, inspiration for this came from the fact that we are off to Tallinn in novembner on holiday. :)

This looks like it could be a very fun set-up. Set between two giants, staying alive could be something of an adventure.

I like it, I'm very interested in this one. It makes me wonder how the Baltic Republic is going to receive certain events where it's joined states on their own might've folded under pressure.

Speaking of which, did you mod your IC any? It would make perfect sense to me that these three countries would've been capable of building more industry together over the years than on their own.

nice! shall be watching this one closely. did you combine the tech team lists as well?

ju87 said:
nice! shall be watching this one closely. did you combine the tech team lists as well?

You bet he will. And all the leaders. I wonder who will be in Goverment.

BTW about that ethnic German stuf... Now thats a noncence. Only memen had about 35-30% of Germans all other parts had almost none.

Hello BALTIC states dominated by germans? Now why the hack it called Baltic then :rofl:

Ever heard of Balts? now these flaks (Latvians and Lithunian) could be a dominant force here.

Wilnow with Gardin sould be incorporated if you say that there was no Polish-Baltic state war as it was betwean Lihuania and Poland in 1920-1924 when Poland ocupied thouse two provinces.

I believe that Riga would be the most sutable place for a capital. Also build a firtification line of some kind. in fornt of Soviet boarder. Join the finns in their fight for freedom and show what Balts are made of:)

Anyway GOOOOOOOD luck. I failed to make Baltic alliens AAR ones and it didnt even started:(

Well, I have given a slight IC boost to the area, and also manpower: it's got to be workable and fun to play, after all :)

I've basically just combined the leaders, tech team and minsters list of all three countries, which makes sense I suppose. I am still wondering wheter to tweak a few of them a little, to actually make it possible to research stuff.

Not to give too much away, but there are two pretty big chances for war through events... points for those who guess :)

If u can do moding, eventing and stuff, mayby do this:
When finnish war start, event fires, that Baltic republic joins it's neigbours in fight agains bolshevism. Later, Norway and Sweden decide to help their neighbour and enter an alliance with the Baltic republic and Finnland. Soviets notice rising strengh, decide to make peace between Baltic alliance, by giving these territories.
givingawaytheterritoriesex5.png

Peace is made, Alliance decides to make Federation, with 6 national languages, traditions, religions and so on, and on..... :D (No dissent should be made, united research teams).
Unioted Baltic-Scandinavia country.