• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Virgiltchicken

Captain
54 Badges
Jul 30, 2004
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • East India Company Collection
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
Despite playing the various Paradox games as well as being on these forums for some time now, I have yet to submit an AAR. That changes now. When I saw an event that allows Czechoslovakia to fight against the Munich Agreement, I figured I would take a crack at it. I have always read and heard that the Czech situation was far from hopeless, but we shall see. The game is Doomsday 1938 scenario on normal/normal. Any suggestions are welcome.

Here is the initial setup of forces:
initiallayout3ze.jpg

I have separated my two tac bombers into their own group in Bratislava, keeping my three interceptors in Prague. I'm thinking of separating the army in Pilsen, sending half to Usti and the other half to Strakonice. All of this rearranging brings up a key problem: leaders. I have very few leaders capable of commanding more than three units, and all of my leaders are very low skill (no promotions, unless I want 0 skill leaders). My air commanders are a joke: one air admiral with skill one, the rest are all lt. or lower with 0 skill.

Here are my tech plans:
tech4qx.jpg

I figure that if I have any chance, it’s to confine the war to the ground and count on my forts. Thus, I need to keep the Germans out of the air. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think anything else would come in fast enough to have much of an effect.

Here are two fairly important intelligence briefs:
intelligenceg7cp.jpg

intelligenceme9lx.jpg

Germany doesn’t seem too horrible, though there appears to be a considerable tech gap. Also, my information is almost certainly faulty.
My independence in guaranteed by France, so maybe the allies will intervene.

Well, that is that. I don’t think it looks to good, but the situation could be worse. I may even be able to take some German territory.

Last edited:
Now the big question is what should I build? I think I'll upgrade my old artillery brigades, but I should still have some spare IC left over. Should I try to build new divisions or more artillery brigades? Aircraft, tanks, forts, etc. will all take too long or cost too much.

Also, I need a more permanent image storage solution. Any suggestions?

If you think that building aircraft will be too costly and take too long, why are you researching air technologies?

I think your forts, which you may want to extend another bit, will keep the Germans off your ground for a while. I doubt though, due to your technological disadvantage, that you will be able to defeat Germany alone in 1938.

It might be a good idea to ally with Poland, if possible. That way, German forces would be initially diverted, since Polish territory is easier to take than the Czechs'. Maybe you will be able to pocket and destroy some German units pouring into Poland, thus weakening the Wehrmacht enough to fight them in the open.

It will be a tough task to win this, if the Allies don't intervene. Good luck!

W. Iljitsch said:
If you think that building aircraft will be too costly and take too long, why are you researching air technologies?

Well, I would like to upgrade my interceptors and maybe build one more. I really do think this war will be won or lost in the air. My forts will mean little if Germany can just attack and hit me with overwhelming air power to force a retreat. The other explanation is that I can't think of anything else worth researching right now. My tech teams aren’t really good and I'd rather avoid penalties for early research, so infantry or land doctrine is out for now. I don't have the IC for tanks, so why bother. Industry would be great, if I didn't have to fight in a month. I could be wrong, but I doubt it will matter in the long run due to something which happened almost immediately after the German DOW.

War looms: September 1938

Well, many interesting things happened this month.

First, off:
allies15ie.png

Also, France and England influenced me. Seems good, with Germany as a neighbor, I can never have too few friends. I looked into influencing Poland, but our relations are +2 and Czechoslovakia is poor. Don't expect any help from them in the short term.

Now, to what you've all been waiting for:
munich0gu.jpg

Dang perfidious Albion, selling me out for peace in our time. Yeah, well I wouldn’t join the allies now if you got on your hands and knees and begged me! I briefly flirted with joining the axis, but I’m not going to offer the blood of my country men to serve as garrisons for some Germans with a superiority complex. I fight alone.

Or maybe not:
allies28yn.jpg

Haha, perhaps I spoke too soon. You know England, we both said things about each other that we regret. But, we have to work through that and get to what’s really important: making sure I still exist.

Come on:
allies39uv.jpg

See, the love is still there. Or at least the mutual hatred for Germans, and in the end, isn’t that what is really important?

Here’s some combat to end things off (now you know why I want better interceptors):
airwar8th.jpg

I've been playing a Czechoslovakian game, too. The same thing happened, Allies DOW'ed Germany immediately after their attack on me. Shortly after, Poland joined the alliance. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'm not telling how the whole thing ended ;)
Anyway, in HOI the treaty of Munich seems to say something like "We, the British and the French, allow Germany to take over Sudetenland - but only if Czechoslovakia agrees!" :wacko: :rofl: :confused:

Yes, this is a bad joke.

Ah, here's a challenge I've wanted to take up, but always feared to. Best of luck to you and rest assured that I will be watching.

Vann

Virgiltchicken: .I fight alone..Here’s some combat to end things off (now you know why I want better interceptors):

is it because you don't have any interceptors? (that is, after that combat...)

does not look like the best of starts, but at least you are still "in the game". ;)

this does give me a question. would you have a better "starting" position if you played from 1936? after all, it is not that much of a stretch to claim that the Czechs of 1936 would realize that they were quite high on the German target list... :rolleyes: (read that, otherwise, why the forts! ! )

RE: leaders. IIRC, leaders with 0 skill fight the same as leaders with 1 skill. note that this is HOI 1 experience, not HOI 2... also, did i read that autopromote does not reduce the skill of leaders when they are promoted... :confused:

best of luck! ! :cool: [ man, you are really gonna need a lot of good luck! ! ]

lastly, i will be watching this! ! :D

Well the Allies decided that you were worthwhile fighting for was a break in your favour. Hopefully you will live long enough for it to matter.

Stnylan: Well the Allies decided that you were worthwhile fighting for was a break in your favour. Hopefully you will live long enough for it to matter.

These so called Allies are worthless! They haven't done a thing for me. No tech, no trades, nothing! And, as you will see, they refuse to advance, even when those of fewer number and inferior equipment are pushing the Germans back. Bahh, allies. :mad:

GhostWriter: is it because you don't have any interceptors? (that is, after that combat...) You ain't seen nothing yet... come on my interceptors are not bad enough to lose against low tech bombers, give Czechoslovakia some credit.

this does give me a question. would you have a better "starting" position if you played from 1936? after all, it is not that much of a stretch to claim that the Czechs of 1936 would realize that they were quite high on the German target list... (read that, otherwise, why the forts! ! )
Of course you're better off starting in 1936! A human is always better at coaxing the most out of a country than the ai, but who wants to wait through all that boring stuff? How would you like it if my first 10 updates were about technological progress and industrial expan... Oh, what was that? I fell asleep describing it.

RE: leaders. IIRC, leaders with 0 skill fight the same as leaders with 1 skill. note that this is HOI 1 experience, not HOI 2... also, did i read that autopromote does not reduce the skill of leaders when they are promoted...
Thanks for the info! I'm still trying to avoid them, just to be on the safe side.

lifeless: good thing hungary hasnt dowed you..yet
That is a big concern, but I can't do anything about it. So why worry?

Vann the Red: Ah, here's a challenge I've wanted to take up, but always feared to.
So far, it really hasn't been that bad. The worst is trying to keep my economy in shape. All the countries I try to trade with cancel within a day or two, no matter how sweet the deal. I need oil and rares!

GFM: Yes, this is a bad joke. Just for that, I'm giving you the worst color.

W. Iljitsch: I've been playing a Czechoslovakian game, too. The same thing happened, Allies DOW'ed Germany immediately after their attack on me. Shortly after, Poland joined the alliance. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'm not telling how the whole thing ended.
I wanna know, start an AAR!

Thanks for the well wishing everyone. Stay tuned for an update.

Alright, let’s start off with the air war, which I put so much faith in:
interceptorend6sn.jpg

This put my interceptors out of the fight for the next couple weeks. Ah well, who needs planes when we have both Czechs and Slovaks?

Besides, Germany doesn’t seem to get how to use his bombers:
stupidai3hy.jpg

They just kept bombing these entirely stationary troops in Liberec, along my northern defense line. No attacks ever followed and the bombings had no effect that I could discern, except for keeping the bombers occupied. I can relate though, my bombers kept bombing a lone division in Innsbruck…

On to the plan of battle:
plan18lj.jpg

Tabor, Brno, and Bratislava are all flat and have only 2-3 forts, as opposed to all other fortified provinces which have eight. This is the most likely place the Germans will break through and I don’t think I can defend it. So I won’t. Instead, I’ll stick to those warmongers by taking Vienna and liberating the delicious sausages for our men!

So far, so good:
firstattacks8xr.jpg

I waited a few days for a tank division to run away before attacking Vienna. I wish I had grabbed a screenshot, but C'est la vie.

Wait, what happened?
encirclement3wq.jpg

I advance from my consolidated position in Vienna to Salzburg. Since my bombers had kept going after Innsbruck (you didn’t think that factoid from earlier would pay off did you?) I knew there was only a single division there. So I brought in mountain divisions from Strakonice, sending the tank division to help with defense since it won’t help in this terrain anyway. As you can see, I beat them and am advancing into Innsbruck.

But will I make it?

Last edited:
Virgiltchicken: ...give Czechoslovakia some credit.

can't. too broke! ! :eek:

Virgiltchicken: ...Of course you're better off starting in 1936!...

three options. 1. calculate what changes you would have made, and alter the starting position. 2. play the game from 1936 but only report from 1938. 3. combine those two by playing the game til '38 and then altering the '38 scenario with your improvements. i would prefer the third option of the three... :D

of course, what i prefer i did not list as an option. play and report from 1936. i not only do not mind reading about those dull reports, i like seeing the improvements you make over what the game gives you. :cool:

even so, what you have done/will do here will be most excellent, i hope! ! :D

Virgiltchicken: ..This put my interceptors out of the fight for the next couple weeks..my bombers kept bombing a lone division in Innsbruck

two weeks without interceptors makes one weak! ! :rolleyes:

Virgiltchicken: ..Instead, I’ll stick to those warmongers by taking Vienna and liberating the delicious sausages for our men!

Vienna is a nice place to own. lots of IC and sausages... ;)

Virgiltchicken: ..As you can see, I beat them and am advancing into Innsbruck. But will I make it?

if you do, then you can take out those OOS units to the south, yes? ? :wacko:

Nice job against the Germans so far, could we get some polictical map pictures ?

Ah well, I was afraid the allies would be unwilling, as it were. Good move down in Austria. It'll make Hitler mad, that's for sure.