• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
May 17, 2005
title.jpg

Pir-ates = A wacky, though brutal religious sect of the Zoroastrian Order that originated in the Farsi province of ancient Persia during the Sassanid rule. They believed themselves to be the spiritual guides of man, though they were notoriously cruel and routinly confiscated the goods of the masses to appease their Gods. They wielded immense power on the peoples of the Persian plateau around 1000 B.C. Mysteriously they disappeared almost as suddenly as they had risen to power and it was believed that they were completely wiped out during the bloody uprisings which occurred at the time.

However a small band of dedicated believers made their way to Europe, and managed to successfully establish themselves in a small community on the outskirts of Rome. Here they dwelt in anonymity for over 2000 years, keeping hold on their strict doctrine, passing down from generation to generation. Though in the early 1300's the Pir-ates sect began to change and slowly infiltrated the Roman Catholic Church, for they saw in it many beneficial and admirable traits, such as amassing great wealth from the poor in return for the cheap promise of the saving of their soul.

By the early 1400's the Pir-ates grip on the papacy had tightened immensly and they were bleeding ever increasingly larger amounts of wealth from the poor and rich alike under the guise of tithes to the Lord, much to the great alarm of the Italian priests, who were horrified that the Pir-ate sect were so unwilling to share the plunder. So in 1419 the Sicilian and Venetian factions (who once jostled each other for power) joined forces and staged a bloody coup, butchering thousands of the Pir-ate followers, effectively extinguishing their power.

pir1.jpg

This was not their end though, only a new beginning. A small following had gotten wind of the coup, collected vast treasures from the Papal coffers and had taken aboard several small vessels. Not knowing where to go, they drew lots and headed west. From there it was said a mystical fog fell from heaven and guided them to their destination.

pir12.jpg

pir123.jpg

Only a handful managed to survive to inhabit part of a small island they called Moron. They named this after the captain of the ship, who they believed was a complete and utter moron for bringing them to this hell on earth.

pir1234.jpg

However the people multiplied at an amazing rate, having little else to do...

pir12345.jpg

And soon founded small cities on the nearby islands.

pir123456.jpg

The Pir-ates soon became bored with just reproducing and desired to get back to their roots of their religious sect, thus they made moves to begin oppressing more of the local peoples.

Last edited:
Weird and wonderful.

Obviously, it would instead be a pirate ARRRRRR!

[/stupid joke that just had to be made sometime during the thread]

UR_VILE_WEDGE said:
This looks good.

Btw, I tried to do something similar with Rebels, but I kept getting CTD's, are they plauging you as well?

Cheers..Im still thinking of doing something with the rebels myself, maybe natives also :) . I had quite a few CTDs in the initial setup, when I was trying to work out how to play them, but so far fine (very early).

stnylan said:
Weird and wonderful.

Yeah...I got a couple other "weird" ideas in the works.

Walter Model said:
First Pirate AAR ever?

No I dont believe so, Gjerg Kastrioti mentioned some done by "Prurock, Gaijian de Moscow and other modders" in the pirate thread in the main forum.

King of Men said:
Obviously, it would instead be a pirate ARRRRRR!

[/stupid joke that just had to be made sometime during the thread]

Cool :D , wish I had thought of it :)

Duke of Wellington said:
Excellent TRD I'm glad you started this. Looks good so far. I see the pirates and naives don't get on. How are you getting money at the moment?

Cheers Duke, I really have absolutely no idea where this is going to go...

I had a couple of natives uprising early. I gave the pir-ates 5000 ducats to start (taken from the Pope ;) ), so I could get a couple of provinces up and running in the Carribean (the colonists were very expensive), hopefully they will be able to make money of their own from there, the provinces arent producing much tax :( , so I may have to start looting soon. From what Gjerg said, the Pirates are continually at war with everyone and they can loot at will :rofl: , so me thinks "surrender your booty" maybe an appropriate title :D

Duke of Wellington said:
If you're constantly at war I wonder what WE will do? Perhaps you should make all the Carribean and Madagascar and any other pirate havens your cores.

I dont think it is war in that sense, just that you will always fight armies/navies - siege fortresses you come across, but I havent gotten that far yet, so time will tell.

How do I make cores? Not that Im sure I'll need them.

Now thats a very interesting idea, I'm curious what will haoppen here 8as you are probably :D)

To make cores use the "addcore XXX" in an event

The Real Deal said:
I dont think it is war in that sense, just that you will always fight armies/navies - siege fortresses you come across, but I havent gotten that far yet, so time will tell.

How do I make cores? Not that Im sure I'll need them.
I don't think you'd need cores just they could be part of the story...
I see what you mean about war. Its the same as the way Spain and Portugal fight others in their ToT provs.

ssss12.jpg

Armed Pir-ates soon travelled far and wide, killing any who opposed them.

ssss123.jpg

ssss1234.jpg

Plundering the unfortified cities they came upon.

ssss12345.jpg

ssss123456.jpg

ssss1234567.jpg

And all appeared to be going spiffingly.

ssss12345678.jpg

ssss123456789.jpg

However in early 1425 the Pir-ates in Barahona were completely possessed of some new doctrine, a new train of thought was instilled in them and they rebelled against the Pir-ate masters.

ssss1234567890.jpg

Thus the armed Pir-ates retreated out of Inca territory after suddenly being inspired to travel north.​

ssss12345678901.jpg

New provinces under the Pir-ates authority.

This is lame, I must be nuts

Last edited:
Iche_Bins said:
Now thats a very interesting idea, I'm curious what will haoppen here 8as you are probably :D)

To make cores use the "addcore XXX" in an event

Cheers, curious...definately...but definately no interesting story line or anything. I dont think I will add any cores, but thanks.

Duke of Wellington said:
I don't think you'd need cores just they could be part of the story...
I see what you mean about war. Its the same as the way Spain and Portugal fight others in their ToT provs.

Yeah, looks that way.

Gjerg Kastrioti said:

Thanks Gjerg, they were interesting to look at and get some hints on what to do. Though I dont have their writing skills :) .

EHm...will you annex the Chimu? Or does the game only crash?

Lurken said:
EHm...will you annex the Chimu? Or does the game only crash?

Im not even at war with the Chimu :D ...cant have any diplomatic actions...only fight and possess lands, which I cant loot (in the proper sense), though I do gain their monthly taxes or whatever it is...

One other thing the land Pirates dont suffer attrition, when moving :)

The Real Deal said:
One other thing the land Pirates dont suffer attrition, when moving :)
Take advantage of it! Storm around Africa with a killerstack of 10000k of troops and nothing can stop you muauhahahaha!!!!!1111111oneoneone

Lurken said:
Take advantage of it! Storm around Africa with a killerstack of 10000k of troops and nothing can stop you muauhahahaha!!!!!1111111oneoneone

Well I mean...when their moving on the turn of the month (they dont lose any troops)....not sure about the sort of attrition your thinking, although I do suspect it is the case (that they wont suffer it)...I still have to test this

EDIT: Tested and... No they dont suffer it :D