• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tim O

General
44 Badges
Dec 8, 2002
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Rome Gold
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
I thought about writing a long elaborate backstory and having my armored divsions composed of primitive mecha instead of tanks, but I couldn't mod anything to save my life and I'm just too lazy to write a 100 page story so this AAR will be short and sweet.

I had planned for war in China on a historical timetable but I got lucky. On June 29, 1936 the Guangxi Clique attacked the Nationals and their allies Xibei San Ma. They weren't doing so well so the Clique and Yunan asked to join my alliance on August 29, 1936. I said yes and the war was on. Shanxi asked to join my alliance on September 1st but I declined since I planned to gobble them up after I'm done with the Nationals.

Is this a common scenario, I don't know much about the war in China and this is the first time I've played Japan. :unsure:

After failing to land in Shanghai a couple of times I landed at Yanti in early October and marched my way down the coast. Nanjong fell on December 13 and six days later the massacre occured. <_< You should have the option of cracking down on the troops if you play Japan.

Shanghi fell on January 21st and I landed two divsions in undefended Fuzhou a couple of provinces south of the frontlines two days later.

Japanfeb37.jpg

In early March I lost my first battle on the mainland over Longyan and moved another ten divisions into China from Manchukuo (made sure to replace them on the Soviet border with Munchoko tropps) along with some new ones from Japan to increase my force on the line to 24 infantry, 1 HQ and 1 Light Tank division, The battle lines were fluid in the Spring but by May I was advancing in most places. Here's my progress by June 2nd 1937.

Japanjune37.jpg

I hope to have solidified my position in China by the time the Germans attack Russia so I can grab costal Siberia. Everything in Europe as gone as usual so far.

Too be continued...

Last edited:
The Nationals have 52 divsions, 33 infantry the rest militia. I've got roughly 30 divisions in theater and it's hard to tell how many my allies have since they keep trading expiditionary forces amongst themselves.

The Guangxi Clique kind of imploded in the 2nd half of 37 and the Yunan retreated into the Himilaya so I had to bail them out and take some risks in order to pull off some small encirclements. I had previously just been steadily advancing along the whole line.

Japanjan38.jpg

On the January 19th 1938 I managed to complete the liberatation of the Guangxi Clique with the capture of their capital Qinzhou. I've since reached the gates of Chongquing and hope to have taken it by March 4th.

Japanmarch38.jpg

Looks like your doing well in China. :)

The end war events didn't fit my situation at all since I was allied with the Guangxi Clique and Yunan, at war with the Nationalists and the Xibei San Ma, and at peace with the Sanxi.

So I went back to January 30, 1938 and loaded up as the Sanxi and had them ally with the nationals then loaded back up as Japan. This left me with 20-30 divisions hanging over my head that could concievably cut off over 30 Japanese divisions from the sea. So I stripped a dozen divisions from the line and had the rest commit a fighting retreat an average 250 miles (2-3 provinces) to shorten the line. At the same time I had the three corp in Jehol immediatly attack south and sent the Manchurain Expeditionary HQ down south to reinforce them.

Japanfeb38.jpg

It was scary for the first 3 or 4 weeks, I had to play a bit of shell game with the south central front and at one point Chaing nearly split it right open, but I managed to plug the gap just in time. However once I'd bottled up the northern front and reinforced the South central front by stripping the Home Islands and Taiwan of everything but Garrison divisions along with a brand new corp it was only a matter of time.

Japanapril38.jpg

It was quite bloody. In the end though I holed up 18 divsions in Taiyuan, divsions which by then were Nationalists, Chiang haven taken control of Shanxi in late March. My first attempt to take the citadel in early May was a bloody repluse, but my attempt on June 12th was a bloody success; and it meant the war was over. Chiang had lost over 20 divisions in the Shanxi campaign and I had two dozen divisions freed for service elsewhere when it ended. On June 22nd the Nationalist capitulated and Chiang dissapered.

I choose to annex the whole thing and then freed Guangi Clique and Yuanan,as puppet states and just allied with Xibei San Ma. (I did it this way because I don't like that Japanese strip next to India in the "Carve China Up" choice). Only Mao remains, but he can't last long.

japanJune38.jpg

Last edited:
After the communists are out of china, are you going to get rid of those pesky warlords taking your land to the south and west ? ;)

Nah, they're good little puppets, if it weren't for the Guangxi Clique and Yunan the war would have proably lasted another 18-24 months.I was thinking of going after Siberia once the Soviets are dealing with the Germans (who annexed Austria right on schedule.) The European south asian colonies will fall right into my lap, hopefully without triggiring war with America, but if it does I won't have a war in China sucking up millions of men and countless precious resources.

Last edited:
Nice start! I'll be following :)

Nice quick war (relatively speaking). I know what you mean about that ugly strip of land.

Looks like I might have an easier go of it with the US then I thought, seems they elected Landon in '36. Also the Germans annexed the Czechs, puppeted the Slovaks and invaded Poland right on schedule.

I crushed Mao by Christmas, though when I annexed them the provinces went to Xibei San Ma. Then I spread about two divisions around North East China in eight or nine armies to supress partisans. I sent a dozen or so divsions to back up the Manchuko/Korean-Soviet frontier and reinforced the home islands. I'd been focusing exclusively on the army so far, but with the end of the war against the Nationalist I switched focus to Navy and the Arforce. I invested in Industry as well and reshuffeled my cabinet. My IC is up to 127. My TC is bad though, I'm running at like 87%, any tips on how to push that down?

japanproductionaug393ji.png

japantechaug390iv.png

japantechaug395vs.png

Last edited:
Regarding TC part of the problem is likely partisans in china (there should be a partisan effect on the tooltip if you leave the cursor over the number). Solution is to build Garrison divisions with MP brigades, and put then on anti-partisan missions in the effected territories.

yes build garrisons. why are you building lvl 1 int? why dont you research them and then build the more advanced models

lifeless said:
yes build garrisons. why are you building lvl 1 int? why dont you research them and then build the more advanced models
Just felt like building them I guess. I've played through July 28th 1940.

Germany attacked Poland on schedule and annexed it on October 3rd. Denmark fell on the 18th of April. The Low Countries got steamrolled in mid-May and after having 40 divisions destroyed and the northern half of the country occupied France surrendered on July 11th and I took possession of French Indochina. How thoughtfull of them to leave 4 garrison divisons for me to use. :)
Norway was annexed the first of July.

The Soviets attacked Finland as usual and took it's historical gains. Lithuanian didn't cave to Soviet pressure either and fought to the death, that took about two weeks.

I've built up the Navy quite a bit and I've got two more Carriers, another Battelship, Heavy Cruiser, and a destroyer flottila comming along. Something like that anyways.

Current state of the world's armed forces
japanavy5lr.png

japarmies7ty.png

japanairforce8ia.png

Current state of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere.
eastasiancoprosperityspherejul.png

So, the stage is set. Looks that Manchukuo has some useful divisions to help you take a bite out of the bear when that time comes.

Tim O said:
I choose to annex the whole thing and then freed Guangi Clique, Yuanan Xibei San Ma as puppet states. (I did it this way because I don't like that Japanese strip next to India in the "Carve China Up" choice).

Reason being it makes a continuous front from Sinkiang to Indochina for the Japanese war machine to protect it's Chinese interests. Makes for a two-pronged invasion of India from the east and north, and seals off Tibet.

I may have to cancel my invasion of Siberia, the Soviets are doing quite well against the Germans and I don't want to strike unless I'm sure my attack will be the straw that broke the camel's back.

The Germans and co. attacked on the 6th of July, this is the front on November 15th, 1941. Kiev has not yet fallen.
EastfrontNov41.jpg

I think I'll just attack the Dutch East Indies instead, my billigerence is quite low so I'm sure the Americans won't intervene.

Last edited: