• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

doktarr

Wet Blanket
16 Badges
Aug 3, 2003
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
I would like to start a discussion of what we should look for in fantasy events for the AGCEEP. I'd like to have, if not a formal standard, some sort of community consensus on what potential events should look like.

I'll start with what I think are two general standards we should have, then I'll talk about ways to classify fantasy events.

My first general principle is we should only write fantasy events for things that the engine cannot accomplish without events. Examples of things that can be done without events are: converting provinces to the same religion, building infrastructure, recruiting armies and navies, and making domestic policy changes. Although some of these sorts of commands may be included in fantasy events, there's not much point in a fantasy event where these are the main things happening. Fantasy events will generally only happen to players, and they can do all these things on their own.

My second general principle is creating inplausible fantasy events should not interfere with our ability to model history. By this I mean, we should not modify the initial setup, or use up scarce resources, in order to allow for the creation of fantasy pathways. By initial setup, I refer to culture layout and the province map. By scarce resources, I refer mainly to tags.

Of course, the principle above only frames a debate, because one man's "quite implausible" is another man's "reasonable alternate history". The most obvious place where this may get debated is the use of tags on nations like Italy, Germany, and the Kingdom of Jerusalem. Personally, I place Italy squarely in the "reasonable alternate history" camp, Jerusalem in the "quite implausible" camp, and Germany somewhere in between.

Anyway, beyond the above two standards, I'd classify fantasy events on two axes:

1) Likelihood/plausibility in history - does the event model something that most would agree would have been a geopolitical likelihood given certain conditions, or does it model something that's a little more of a stretch, even given the initial conditions? Event chains that create a "story" involving ahistorical people would obviously fall on the extreme far end of this spectrum.

2) Likelihood/plausibility within the game - How easily can a player achieve the conditions that trigger the event? Left alone, would the AI achieve these conditions more that 5% of the time?

Now, let's look at those four quadrants:

Events which are both "historically likely given conditions" and "difficult to achieve/unlikely for the AI to achieve by accident" are not really fantasy events in my opinion - they are merely alt-history events. The KOI events and the various alternate ends to the HYW are probably good examples of this.

The same really goes for the "historically likely" "easily achieved" events, but these are more dangerous because they can get in the way of modeling history. So if they indeed pose such a problem, they should be put in the fantasy-only file, and possibly be enabled only for human players.

As for the "implausible" events, I would avoid the "story"-type event chains, with multiple events based on ahistorical factors. While this sort of event chain can be quite fun, I don't think the general AGCEEP release is the place for it. After all, why should we choose one "story" to include over another? What is the standard? People can release "fantasy packs" for the AGCEEP with events like this, and we could link to them and even provide installation instructions. There's really nothing wrong with that, we can and should support it; I just don't like the idea of making one implausible alt-history the "official AGCEEP ahistorical path."

That leaves the "implausible" events that are not really story based. Things like the establishment of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, or most potential Byzantine rennasiance events. These are the classic sort of "fantasy" events. I think we should avoid those events whose conditions are "easy to achieve" (which I would define as, achieved by the AI in hands-off tests more than 5% of the time). Beyond that, if these events follow the two principles I outlined at the outset, I don't mind including them as fantasy options.

Thoughts?

doktarr said:
As for the "implausible" events, I would avoid the "story"-type event chains, with multiple events based on ahistorical factors. While this sort of event chain can be quite fun, I don't think the general AGCEEP release is the place for it. After all, why should we choose one "story" to include over another? What is the standard? People can release "fantasy packs" for the AGCEEP with events like this, and we could link to them and even provide installation instructions. There's really nothing wrong with that, we can and should support it; I just don't like the idea of making one implausible alt-history the "official AGCEEP ahistorical path."

Agreed, I've suggested this in the past. I've not understood while those sorts of events need to have official recognition.

doktarr said:
That leaves the "implausible" events that are not really story based. Things like the establishment of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, or most potential Byzantine rennasiance events. These are the classic sort of "fantasy" events. I think we should avoid those events whose conditions are "easy to achieve" (which I would define as, achieved by the AI in hands-off tests more than 5% of the time). Beyond that, if these events follow the two principles I outlined at the outset, I don't mind including them as fantasy options.

Depending on how the tag bit plays out, I would support removing the Kingdom of Jerusalem entirely.

doktarr said:
I'd like to have, if not a formal standard, some sort of community consensus on what potential events should look like.
If that is possible it's a good thing. For allocation of limited resources, it's eventually absolutely necessary.

doktarr said:
I'll start with what I think are two general standards we should have, then I'll talk about ways to classify fantasy events. My first general principle is we should only write fantasy events for things that the engine cannot accomplish without events.
I fully agree. I don't see much point in simple boost events "We have liberated X", unless they are there to give cores and cultures.

doktarr said:
My second general principle is creating inplausible fantasy events should not interfere with our ability to model history. By this I mean, we should not modify the initial setup, or use up scarce resources, in order to allow for the creation of fantasy pathways. By initial setup, I refer to culture layout and the province map. By scarce resources, I refer mainly to tags.
I agree with this too. What about CoA, not a scarce resource but something that both can give a lot of feeling for a fantasy setup, but also increase the size of the download? some, like Garbon IIRC, doesn't want it for historical changes for this reason. I think we should include a change of CoA, since it's not a limited resource, and it's adding so little to a very big mod anyhow.

Of course, the principle above only frames a debate, because one man's "quite implausible" is another man's "reasonable alternate history". The most obvious place where this may get debated is the use of tags on nations like Italy, Germany, and the Kingdom of Jerusalem. Personally, I place Italy squarely in the "reasonable alternate history" camp, Jerusalem in the "quite implausible" camp, and Germany somewhere in between.

doktarr said:
Anyway, beyond the above two standards, I'd classify fantasy events on two axes:

1) Likelihood/plausibility in history - does the event model something that most would agree would have been a geopolitical likelihood given certain conditions, or does it model something that's a little more of a stretch, even given the initial conditions? Event chains that create a "story" involving ahistorical people would obviously fall on the extreme far end of this spectrum.

2) Likelihood/plausibility within the game - How easily can a player achieve the conditions that trigger the event? Left alone, would the AI achieve these conditions more that 5% of the time?

Events which are both "historically likely given conditions" and "difficult to achieve/unlikely for the AI to achieve by accident" are not really fantasy events in my opinion - they are merely alt-history events. The KOI events and the various alternate ends to the HYW are probably good examples of this.

The same really goes for the "historically likely" "easily achieved" events, but these are more dangerous because they can get in the way of modeling history. So if they indeed pose such a problem, they should be put in the fantasy-only file, and possibly be enabled only for human players.

No objections to what you say.

Last edited:
...why does this thread 'pop up' when I did my request? :(

BTW: I will make LE possible, not making it 'overpowered', or 'unrealistic'.
Just possible and plausible, and some extra events. Nothing more. :)

jorian said:
...why does this thread 'pop up' when I did my request? :(
It's not because we're mean, but rather because we need some grounds to discuss your specific proposal and other proposals of this kind.

BTW: I will make LE possible, not making it 'overpowered', or 'unrealistic'.
Just possible and plausible, and some extra events. Nothing more. :)
Well, then show us what it is going to look like, and we'll be discussing what can be used and what maybe should be changed. It's not that something is being restricted or rejected beforehand. Propose something and tell us why this would be good, necessary or simply cool, not just request a tag.

doktarr said:
I would like to start a discussion of what we should look for in fantasy events for the AGCEEP. I'd like to have, if not a formal standard, some sort of community consensus on what potential events should look like.

I'll start with what I think are two general standards we should have, then I'll talk about ways to classify fantasy events.

My first general principle is we should only write fantasy events for things that the engine cannot accomplish without events. Examples of things that can be done without events are: converting provinces to the same religion, building infrastructure, recruiting armies and navies, and making domestic policy changes. Although some of these sorts of commands may be included in fantasy events, there's not much point in a fantasy event where these are the main things happening. Fantasy events will generally only happen to players, and they can do all these things on their own.

Thoughts?

All I want to say is that, we need to define clearly what is fantasy and what is Alt history and stick to this naming system.

example, a BYZ existance after 1453 would be a fantasy , while LIT destroying Russia would be ALT is how I see it or am I wrong.?

Toio said:
All I want to say is that, we need to define clearly what is fantasy and what is Alt history and stick to this naming system.

example, a BYZ existance after 1453 would be a fantasy , while LIT destroying Russia would be ALT is how I see it or am I wrong.?

I'M a newbie here, I know. But alternate history always interested me, so here is what I think:

Anything what is not after historical events is 'alternate' or 'ahistoric' and yes your name for it, the 'fantasy' also is named for this.

Ergo: A converted, orthodox Teutonic order annexing Poland would be also ahistoric/alternate/fantasy :)

almoravid said:
1. It's not because we're mean, but rather because we need some grounds to discuss your specific proposal and other proposals of this kind.

2. Well, then show us what it is going to look like, and we'll be discussing what can be used and what maybe should be changed. It's not that something is being restricted or rejected beforehand. Propose something and tell us why this would be good, necessary or simply cool, not just request a tag.

1. Ok :)

2. Here is the link, I'm already trying to make it, read all of the posts plz to see what I want to do. :)

HERE IS THE LINK! YES IT IS!!! :D

So, jorian, this is where you have been hanging around, we need you at the RA thread and C&C thread ;)

doktarr said:
I'm not sure I totally agree with this. I agree that simply handing out goodies or making a fantasy event about a manu/shipyard built or domestic policies changed is not what we need. Yet having a fantasy KOI or KOG 'reaction on... say french revolution' event which maybe only changes some relations, gives cbs and has a small flavour text is not necessary a bad thing, I believe. Also, some 'reward' event for cool things like Genoa conquering Venice maybe giving stability and some cash is not a bad thing either.

almoravid said:
I'm not sure I totally agree with this. I agree that simply handing out goodies or making a fantasy event about a manu/shipyard built or domestic policies changed is not what we need.
Agreed... and many fantasy events do seem to be about things like that.
almoravid said:
Yet having a fantasy KOI or KOG 'reaction on... say french revolution' event which maybe only changes some relations, gives cbs and has a small flavour text is not necessary a bad thing, I believe.
Absolutely, however:

1) As per my previous post, I wouldn't class those as "fantasy" events; they are merely further fleshing out of plausible alt-history

2) Even if it was a fantasy event, it's not something a player can manually do using the engine - at least not without a lot of work.
almoravid said:
Also, some 'reward' event for cool things like Genoa conquering Venice maybe giving stability and some cash is not a bad thing either.
More of a grey area. I guess I just don't see the point; conquering Venice is going to get you plenty of cash anyway, and it's easy to imagine that conquest causing a brief INstability, while new trade patterns sort themselves out.

almoravid said:
I'm not sure I totally agree with this. I agree that simply handing out goodies or making a fantasy event about a manu/shipyard built or domestic policies changed is not what we need. Yet having a fantasy KOI or KOG 'reaction on... say french revolution' event which maybe only changes some relations, gives cbs and has a small flavour text is not necessary a bad thing, I believe. Also, some 'reward' event for cool things like Genoa conquering Venice maybe giving stability and some cash is not a bad thing either.
Some things are just looking better if made with events as 'rewards' for the player. :)

doktarr said:
More of a grey area. I guess I just don't see the point; conquering Venice is going to get you plenty of cash anyway, and it's easy to imagine that conquest causing a brief INstability, while new trade patterns sort themselves out.
Then just give it a long, good made event what happens if genoese succeeded to conquer them? :)

Toio said:

LIT forming Russia is not so much an alt as rather an unlikely fantasy event that is designed to get those derailed things back onto some historical track. It only triggers if Lithuania already conquered Russia. It's like Norway becoming Denmark if they conquer it - those are 'auxilliary' fantasy events which aim to change the the situation that happened to end up strangely to something more historically looking to allow future events to trigger etc.

almoravid said:
LIT forming Russia is not so much an alt as rather an unlikely fantasy event that is designed to get those derailed things back onto some historical track. It only triggers if Lithuania already conquered Russia. It's like Norway becoming Denmark if they conquer it - those are 'auxilliary' fantasy events which aim to change the the situation that happened to end up strangely to something more historically looking to allow future events to trigger etc.
Like some 'railroad' events? :confused:

jorian said:
Like some 'railroad' events? :confused:
If you prefer. It's cool if we see Orleans annexing France, yet then all the cool events don't happen, the french don't colonize, have no wars of religion, no italian wars, no leaders, no good monarchs. So we just give those guys at Orleans the option to grab the crown of France and have everything in perfect order and some more fun for an england or austria player.

one "alternate" event I would like to see is an expanded SWE 3252 Crown prince event, something that doesn't actually screw you up if you have been playing well.

Just a bit irksome to be toodling along making the Baltic your private lake and uniting all the Ugric peoples under your banner...when you have to go and choose two craptacular choices for a new King based upon a history that did not happen.

Now I can see perhaps retaining both of the choices in the stock event and adding a couple of others; one choice that is for an expansive Sweden trying to increase its' influence and one that is a sentimental return to a previous dynasty.

My proposed "C" and "D" choices would be Frederick of Prussia for the expansionistic player and for the sentimentalist whoever is in charge of the Pfalz during the same time period and their name escapes me at the moment.

The "C" choice does have some logic as IRL there was a period of Prussian/Swedish alliance that was seen as important by the Swedes only a few years before. It is a strong Protestant nation and it would secure the Southern Baltic. Also Frederick had known political views that would be seen as beneficial by the parliament in regards absolutism. All in all a pretty decent choice.

The "D" choice also has some logic going for it as there is usually a few supporters of a previous dynasty laying about at court and considering the dynamism of the previous members of the dynasty they may have some fans amongst the population, and some detracters as well.

Both choices give some interesting follow on events. Frederick would lead to a choice of whether to incorporate Prussia/Brandenburg or rule it as a seperate nation, one would give cores on territory, wake leaders (other then Frederick), and probably also reflect the administration and military changes wraught in Prussia during this era and just prior throughout the entirety of Sweden (land bump etc). It would also likely have to have a cooresponding "Partition of Poland" series of events as I can not see that or the "Bavarian succession" etc being much changed in Prussian reasoning, nor could I see Sweden under Frederick taking a neutral path in the "Pragmatic sanction".

"D" could be even more entertaining as the Palatinate has similar choices in regards to how to rule: Vassal or absorption. And it has the added thrill of the war of the Bavarian succession as the Palatinate/Swedish branch inherits Bavaria. Doubly interesting if they have managed to pull of the minor miracle of retaining BOH during the 30 years war....

Now in the case of a SWE player who has knocked out DAN the "B" choice of the Danish candidate should add Danish cores and wake DAN leaders who now have reason not to be granted to SWE.

On a related note it would be nice to have the monarchs/leaders from the house of Zweibruken awakened in PFA if SWE goes with Sigismund is the rightful king option in that event. They would still be around logically, they would still rule their Duchy, and they would still be supporters of the Count Palatine so it would or should follow that in case of war time they would lead troops in the Palatinates army. Of course you may need to knock a point or two off of their abilitiies to reflect less intensive training etc. or you could leave them intact and also have Adolfus Gustavus awoken in PFA since it is likely that he would go live with relatives if it is not an option to leave him as a simple general for SWE.