• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

hammerfalls

First Lieutenant
88 Badges
Jul 19, 2005
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Iron Cross
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
The most recent version is 3.0, Compatible with Doomsday, maybe on Armageddon, probably not with vanilla

Download here

Presenting version 3.0 of the Byzantine HoI2 mod. This is fully compatible with Doomsday and takes advantage of all of the new features. Because I havent updated the mod in almost two years, almost every file needed to be looked at and altered. This is a combined mod with two scenarios, for the Byzantines joining both the central powers and the allied powers. The allied version is under the title Allied Byzantine and the central version is under the title Byzantine Empire.

Just run the install program and it should install into the default Doomsday directory, C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Doomsday. You then load the modswapper and load Unified Byzantine. You will know if it works if the load screen changes.

This mod, as I said before, is a major updating and changing of the files. So I apoligize to BritNavFan and anyone else who works on my mod.

Below is the readme:

Version 3.0
This mod has been created for use with the JSGME modswapping utility. The default install file is designed for this utility.
The mod includes the modswapper and will install in the default Doomsday folder.

Version 3 actually comprises two scenarios, the first is the one I already created but updated, the second is based on the idea that the Byzantines join the Allies instead of the Central Powers in WWI and thus gain a larger share of the spoils and still retain control over large swaths of the Middle East

Little note: Saudi Arabia is one of the chosable nations in the Allied Byzantine Scenario because it was the only way to include the description for only one of the two scenarios and I figured I should put the reason why the Saudis are puppets of the Byzantines.

Version 3.0

General
Added Allied Byzantine scenario
Made the mod compatible with Doomsday 1.3a
While it already worked, I updated all the files to include the changes in Doomsday, this includes changes to almost every file in the game, because I never updated it for any of Doomsday.

AI
Greatly expanded the AI's diplomatic and military values toward the Byzantines
Added spy data for several AI's

Scenario
*Greatly increased infrastructure development throughout the Empire
*Greatly increased industrial development throughout the Empire
*Increased the navy size to be comparable to Italy
*Added a few planes to the air force
*Added HQ unit in Pristina (415)
*Adjusted the vp points for the Byzantines to make Constantinople worth 30 points and all other points in the empire worth 15. This is the show that the Empire will surrender after losing its capital. For Allied Byzantine, Constantinople is still worth 30 but it is not 2/3rd's.
*Added a supply pool to Crete
*Added Spies to all countries with them
*Made the Byzantines Paternal Autocrat

DB
*Due to the expansion of the unitnames.csv file by several hundred entries, I removed several to make it all fit and not lose anything in the modding. So Tibet, Sinkiang, Tanna Tuva, Paraquay, Mongolia, Switzerland, Nepal, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, and Kyrgyzstan do not have naval entries anymore, if you need them you have bigger problems
*Deleted Albania from the game (already theoretical and I needed the space)
*Added 10 unit names for infantry, mecs, motorized, armor, and light armor, and 5 for marines, paratroopers, and garrisons, and militia and one new Battleship name
*Byzantine ships now have the designation RNS (Roman Naval Ship) with a new naming system, battleships are for Emperors, carriers are for regions, battlecruisers are for cities, and cruisers are for partiarchs
*Added half the Bulgarian leaders, four Albanian leaders, and all of the Turkish leaders to help with the leader shortage, in the file they are delimited by spaces
*Added Greek Doomsday ministers to the Byzantines
*Gave Communist Turkey leaders

Events
*changed albania event series so you dont join the allies anymore when you go to war with Italy
*Gave the option to not join the axis in "Entering the War-Axis"
*Modified several triggers for Byzantine events
*Added the Byzantine victory event chain to cover its options after defeating Italy, This is basically what Plushie suggested but with a few modifications to the effects
*Actually added the UK event that triggers the Byzantine "Post War Expansion" event
*Expanded UK surrender event
*Expanded US surrender event
*Changed the description of the "The Purges of Metaxas" event slightly

Config
Changed some regional and area names

Version 2.1a
Upped leader skills
Added forts to key cities
Made the changes/corrections to the following events
The Albanian series
The Return of Imperialism
Communist Civil War

Version 2.1
Updated AI switch files
Added counter for U14
Corrected errors in a couple events
Added city graphics for major cities in the Byzantine Empire (also made them urban)

Version 2.0

Corrected Leader File
Added Byzantine Skin
Changed Byzantine Flag
Created roughly 20 new events
Added scenario selection graphic
Updated Turkey in revolt file
Refined Byzantine tech teams
Added Communist Turkey tech teams
Added more industry in province 411
Updated Byzantine flag pallete
Completed frontend graphics

Version 1.0

Created the scenario

Credit for all graphics work (load screen, scenario screen, Byzantine flag, and the Byzantine counter) goes to T-Hiddeman

Happy gaming

Last edited:
Ugh. It should be called "Roman", not some 18th century French term. Anyhoo, I look forward to seeing this WWII premise. :D

name

Well the empire was called Basileía Romaíon in the end, once it had become Greek; derived from the Latin Imperium Romanorum. I decided to make the name Byzantine Empire simply because it was more commonly known that the previously named alternatives. Besides, its the name in my head.

You could upload it at repidshare or something.

It was just a suggestion.

Mod is here

Ok first off thanks to Ben Disraeli for the upload website. I present the Byzantine Mod for HOI2.

The easiest thing to do is just copy your default HOI2 folder and create a new directory called 'Byzantine Empire' and then install this mod there. However, if you don't want to take up that much space, then use Mod-dir. For anyone who doesn't know, you create a subdirectory and place your files inside it (maintaining the exact directory structure of HoI) and then launch the game via HoI2.exe followed by the name Byzantine Empire.

In the next few days I will be releasing the next Victoria versions, correcting some errors in the events files and adding to stuff to bring the Victoria mod more chronological with this mod.

edit:
New version of the mod can be located below

Last edited:
JRShield said:
oh no! my game crashes everytime i want to take Bulgaria by the event!!! wat to do, wat to do?! :( :(

The problem was a simple mistake I made in the programming

and I found a solution:

you have to open the Bulgarian event file and go to the last event, should be called "Byzantine Demands by Hammerfalls" and delete the three secedeprovince commands. Close and open the Byzantine event file. Find event 16020 "Conquest of Bulgaria - Boris III accepts" and add the command

command = { type = inherit which = BUL }

save and close, you should be all set.

Thank you, works like a charm! or am i supposed to get core's on the three terretories??? (couse now i dont. dont know what's supposed to happen ofcourse)

Core's

I have been going back and forth about the presence of cores in the Balkans. In this version there wasnt because I had a hard time justifying to myself the historical reason for Balkan core's, after all the Byzantines had been ejected some 50 years before, so I have not included them. However, I plan on releasing another version of the mod in the next few weeks (probably after finals) with more events during the war and with more graphics (skins and startup stuff) that may have events granting Byzantine core's to some area's of the Balkans. I am in the process of learning graphical modifications and once I finish that, I will apply and release the mod.

wtf?

wtf is this?
everytime i try to play the mod it says theres some problem with the eventfiles specifically the AI-files with the command "land_percentage"?

i havent seen that command in anevent before (although i have to admit i havent done any ai programming for HoI2)?

whats up with that?

X4N4X said:
wtf is this?
everytime i try to play the mod it says theres some problem with the eventfiles specifically the AI-files with the command "land_percentage"?

i havent seen that command in anevent before (although i have to admit i havent done any ai programming for HoI2)?

whats up with that?

Well I just looked over every AI event file I included, truthfully I was just changing GRE and TUR to U13, nothing major. So try reinstalling the mod, also, could you give me any more information, like the filename or an event?

a quick search gives the results that 7 files named ai_xxx.txt (in folder ..\db\events\) have the command "land_percentage" in them.

also i have found some other thing in the trigger for alot of events has "days = x"? the game dont seem to like that...

The way i see it is that its probably just that you ported it directly from victoria, correct? maybe alot of victoria commands that HoI2 doesnt have?

Mod data

actually, i just copied from the default events. Victoria only has one ai file and I dont copy game to game. I looked over all seven files of my mod and couldnt find anything wrong with any code. Are you still having a problem with the mod?