• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Bordic

Magister Militum
4 Badges
May 29, 2004
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Deus Vult
  • For The Glory
  • 500k Club
AGC-EEP Italian Wars

That's an ambitious project for me, but I would like the Italian Wars to be discussed again in this forum.

I report the link from EEP forum started by Isaac Brock on what we essentially need to rework or improve:

Isaac Brock said:
I wanted to start a thread on the way the Italian Wars are handled in the EEP, and particularly on the triggers. As background here's a summary of the back and forth in real life:

Isaac Brock said:
The Italian Wars (1494-1553)

Series of wars (chiefly between France and Spain) for control of the small Italian states.

Underlying Causes. The small independant states of Italy were militarily weak, and had the misfortune to be located near several powerful nations.

Charles of France Invades Italy. Charles VIII allies with Milan and invades Italy (1494), taking Naples (1495). He is opposed by a coalition (the Pope, Holy Roman Emperor, Spain, Venice, and -- changing sides -- Milan). Ferrandino of Naples retakes the city following the Battle of Fornovo. Charles' fleet is captured at Rapallo, his army surrenders at Novaro, and he flees to France. The soldiers suffer from Europe's first known outbreak of syphilis.

In 1498, Charles VIII dies while preparing a new invasion force. He is succeeded by his cousin, who rules as Louis XII.

Louis of France Invades Italy. Louis XII allies with Venice, invades Italy (1499), and accepts the surrender of his former ally, Milan. Ludovico of Milan attempts to liberate his city, but is defeated at the Battle of Novara (1500) and imprisoned. Ferdinand of Spain aids Louis, who conquers the Kingdom of Naples (1501). Rome is occupied, and the Pope acknowledges Louis as King of Naples. German king Maximilian signs the Peace of Trent, recognizing French conquests. In 1502, Ferdinand of Spain sends a fleet to seize Taranto, supporting Louis.

France and Spain Split Italy. The alliance between Ferdinand and Louis is broken (1503). Ferdinand?s general Gonzalvo de Cordoba defeats the French, and Louis gives up all claims to Naples. The French army surrenders at Gaeta (1504). The Treaty of Lyons (1504) divides Italy between France (north) and Spain (south). Louis and Maximilian sign the Treaty of Blois (1504), which gives France control of Milan.

Germans Spar With The Venetians. Maximilian sets out for Rome, but the Venetians refuse to let him pass. The Germans attack (1508), but the fighting is called off when Maximilian receives protests.

The Pope's League Against Venice. Pope Julius II forms the Holy League of Cambrai (1508), uniting with France and Spain to regain papal territory on the Adriatic lost to Venice. He excommunicates Venice (1509), and the French defeat the Venetians at the Battle of Agnadello (1509). Maximilian joins the League, but fails in his siege of Padua.

The Pope Turns On France. The Pope forms a new Holy League (1510) with England, Spain, and the Swiss to expel the French from Italy. In 1511, the French gain Bologna, but lose Modena and Mirandola. Venice, no longer excommunicate, allies with the Pope. In the Battle of Ravenna (1512) the French are triumphant, as is their commander Pierre Terrail, seigneur de Bayard,at Brescia. However, Swiss, papal, and imperial forces drive the French and their mercenaries out of Milan. As compensation for their aid, theSwiss take Locarno, Lugano and Ossola. In an hour-long battle, the Swiss rout a combined French and Venetian army at the Battle of Novara (1513). The English and Germans defeat the French at Guinegate, also known as the Battle of the Spurs (1513) because of the manner in which the French depart the field of battle. Thus ends Louis' Italian adventures.

In 1513 Pope Julius II dies, and the Holy League is disbanded. In 1515, Louis XII dies and is succeeded by Frances I (Francois I).

Frances of France Invades Italy. The Battle of Marignano (1515) is a French triumph versus the Swiss and Venetians. The Pope and the Swiss make peace with Frances. France conquer Milan.

War With the Empire. In 1519, Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I dies. His successor is Charles V, who by virtue of his inheritances now unites a vast Hapsburg empire (including Spain, Austria, Naples, Sicily, the Low Countries, and Spanish America). In 1520, a league of Spanish cities (the communeros) rebels against Charles and receive French support. Charles puts down the uprising. In 1522, Charles and his allies (the Pope, Mantua, and Florence) expel France from Milan. The French retake Milan in 1524, but at the Battle of Pavia (1525) the king's horse is shot out from under him and he is captured. While a prisoner, Frances signs the Treaty of Madrid (1526), renouncing his claims in Italy (and elsewhere).

France Forms A League. Once freed, Frances claims that the treaty was extorted from him. He forms an alliance (the League of Cognac) with the Pope, England, Venice and Florence. In retaliation, Charles V sacks Rome (1527) and takes the Pope prisoner. The French lay siege to Naples (1528), but a severe typhus epidemic forces the besiegers to retreat. The wars ends with the Peace of Cambrai (1529), in which Frances once again gives up all claims to Italy.

Frances' Third Italian War. Francesco of Milan dies (1535), ending the Sforza dynasty. Frances again claims Milan, allying with Suleiman the Magnificent (ruler of the Ottoman Empire). The French take Turin (1536), aided by Turkish fleets ravaging the Italian coast. The allies besiege Corfu (1537), which is successfully defended by the Venetians. The war ends inconclusively with the Truce of Nice (1538), followed by the Treaty of Toledo (1539).

The Sacking of Nice. In 1543, Frances sacks the imperial city of Nice with the aid of a Berber pirate, Kheir ad-Din Barbarossa. After two years of war, the Treaty of Crespy-en-Valois (1544) is signed in which Frances gives up claims to Italian territory. This is followed by the Peace of Andres (1546). Frances dies in 1547.

Henry of France Invades Italy. Henry II's army attacks Florence, but is defeated at the Battle of Marciano (1553). The French besiege Siena, but are forced to surrender by an imperial army (1555). The Spanish are victorious at the Battle of St. Quentin, driving the French from Italy. The war ends with the Treaty of Cateau-Cambresis (1559). While celebrating the treaty at a tournament, Henry II receives a mortal head wound (as foretold by Nostradamus).

Consequences of the Wars: Italy loses its independence, and is dominated by Spain for nearly two centuries.

Isaac Brock said:
EEP version

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a general summary of all the events that are in EEP 1.2. Let me know if I've missed any. I'm trying to lay out the sequence rather than detail all the effects.

I. 1494 Angevin claims on Naples
France can choose to press claims and get shilds on Naples and Apulia if Naples exists. If France presses claims Naples can reject or accept them. If they accept the France inherits Naples

II. 1495-1499 Civil War in Savoy
If France pressed claims on Naples or Milan bad things happen in Savoy

III. 1496- Anti French Alliance
If France pressed claims on Naples Aragon or Spain (if Aragon doesn't exist) can from an alliance with Austria, Venice and get a CB on France. The alliance only happens if Austria and Venice are unallied and Aragon or Spain is an alliance leader (unlikely).

IV: 1497- Unhappiness with Louis XII
If France owns Milan Mantua Modena or Genoa Switzerland can get a CB against France

V: 1499 Claims on Milan
If Milan exists France can press claims gaining a core in Milan and triggering a Papal event that boosts relations.

VI: 1503-1509 League of Cambrai
If Venice doesn't own Romagna can gain a core on it.
If Venice took the aggressive approach, France and Austria get the chance to start the League of Cambrai. If neither supports it, or the only one that exisits doesn't support it the League doesn't come off. If it does come off events happen for Aragon, the Papacy, Tuscany, Spain if Aragon doens't exist, and England if France doesn't exist. Everyone can support or oppose it, all those who support get a CB on Venice
If the League comes off Venice has to back down and loses the core in Romagna.

VII: 1510-1512 - Holy League
If France exists and pressed claims on rither Milan or Naples, and the League of Cambrai either didn't fail to happen or couldn't have happened the Pope can start the Holy League and get a CB against France.
If the Pope starts it Austria, Aragon, England Venice Switzerland and Spain if Aragon doesn't exisit can get CBs on France

VIII 1512 French withdrawal from Milan
If France pressed claims on Milan and owns Milan it can release Milan as a vassal or suffer all sorts of nastiness there.

IX 1513-1539 13 Cantons
If Switzerland is at peace it gets bonuses from absorbing more cantons. This triggers an event for Savoy where it gets penalties for losing territory to Swiitzerland and a long CB against Switzerland

X 1521- French Meddling
If France pressed claims on Naples and Milan, and Austria and France exisit Spain can form an alliance with Austria and get a CB on France. The alliance will only happen if Austria is unallied and Spain is an alliance leader.
If Spain choses to intervene, HAB exisits, and a war between Spain and France occurs, France gets the Battle of Pavia event in 1525 with bad effects.

XI 1527 Sack of Rome
If France pressed claims on Milan or Naples the Pope gets the Sack of Rome causing bad things and triggering events for Austria and Spain hurting their relations. If either of these Happen Tuscany has the option to form a republic in 1527.

XII 1529 Peace of Cambrai
If France owns neither Milan nor Naples, and Spain chose to intervene in 'French Meddling', France can choose to give up all Italian cores, or to keep them (stab and some other effects)
XIIA 1535 Peace in Milan
If France does own Milan, had the 'withdraw from Milan event' and did not have the Peace of Cambrai the revoltrisk in Milan is reduced.

XIII 1534-1540 Genevan Independence
IF the Sack of Rome and Swiss expansion happened Savoy gets bad effects as they lose Geneva.

XVII 1559 Treaty of Cateau Cambresis
If France has innovative below 5 and owns neither Milan nor Naples they can give up their cores or suffer some stability.

I: 1 Jan 1494 (Claims on Naples)
FRA 12021 IF Naples exists
A addcore Naples and Apulia trigger 12022
B nothing
NAP 12022
A nothing
B trigger 12023
FRA 12023
A inherit NAP
B nothing
IIIB 1 Jan 1496
SPA 12143 IF event 12022 and not exisits ARG
A alliance HAB VEN CB FRA
B nothing
B-
B sleep 12025 12026
PAP 17386
A relations FRA +100
B sleep events 3107 3182 3545 3649 20093 17018 17019 17020 17023

VI 1 Oct 1503 (League of Cambrai)
FRA 3107 IF event 17017 exists = VEN exists = HAB
A CB VEN, trigger 17021
B trigger 17022
C trigger 17022
VIA
HAB 17021
A CB VEN
B,C
VIB
HAB 17022
A CB VEN
B,C sleep 17018
VIC
HAB 3182 IF exists VEN, event 17017 not event 3107
A CB VEN
B,C sleep 17018
VID
FRA 17023 IF exists=VEN event 17017 HAB doesn't exist
A CB Ven
B,C sleep 17018
VI 1 Oct 1503 (more League of Cambrai events)
SPA 17020 PAP 3545 TOS 3649 ENG 20093 ARG 17019
IF exists VEN event 17017 (NOT ARG exisits for SPA)

VI 15 May 1509 (Realizing great danger)
VEN 17018 IF event 17017 any of 3107 3182 17023
A removecore Romagna
B sleep 17025 17026 17027 17028 17029 17030
VII 1 July 1510 (more Holy League)
HAB 17025 ARG 17026 SPA 17027 VEN 17028 ENG 17029 HEL 17030 IF event 17024 (NOT ARG for SPA)
A CB FRA
B -
B revolts and +50 RR in Milan (what!)
SAV 17413 (Swiss expansion)
A CB HEL
B sleep 12027 12028
1 Jan 1525 (Pavia)
FRA 12027 IF War SPA/FRA, exists HAB exists SPA event 12026 (no death date)
A -cash and stability
SPA 17407 and HAB 17408
17 May 1527
TOS 17381 IF HAB 17408 or SPA 17407
A,B nothing of consequence

B revoltrisk Milan -15
XIII 1 jan 1534 (Genevan independence)
SAV 17414 IF event 17406 and event 17413
A-
________
XIV 1 Jan 1559 (Cateau Cambresis)
FRA 12037 IF NOT innovative 5, don't own either Milan or Naples
A remove cores Milan Apulia Naples
B -1 stab
Isaac Brock said:
Thoughts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Most of these events hinge on Naples exisiting in 1495- if it doesn't most of the events will be aborted. I don't think this makes much sense as the Angevin claim to Naples went back to the civil war in 1435 - certanly if Naples were part of Spain or Aragon the event should happen. That said, in 1495 Italy was ripe for the picking, if it hadn't been Charles VIII it would have been someone else. On the other hand it would be nice to start that event with Milan, for flavour reasons.
-Likewise if Milan doesn't exist in 1499 nothing much will happen.
-A lot of what's in is focused around France, as much of it came from ******'s work. The Spanish and Austrians seem neglected. The Meddling in Italy event doesn't do much for Spain.
-Generally the anti-French alliances are unlikely to form. Perhaps they coudl eb reworked
-I'd like to see AI Aragon take over Naples, or at least try to. I'm thinkign about adding some cored for the treaty of Granada.
-The sack of Rome is pretty deterministic right now. I'd like it to happen because it drives other events for Tuscany, and because it's great flavor and was an important happening. The triggers need a bit of work though.
-There is a big issue of how to handle Aragon and Spain who ought to merge mid-way through the events. Right now the 1521 meddling event is there for that but it doesn't do very much.

For now I just wanted to start discussion. I'll make some proposals once people have chimed in.

Last edited:
Now to the project:
I am working also on Italy related events before those wars between 1419 and 1492 but, since they almoust refer to Italy except a couple for Orleans/France (succession of Milan 1447-1454) and Aragon-Provence (war over Naples, 1435-1442 and Jean of Anjou,1458-1462), I will post them after having solved the problem with the timeframe 1512-1535 that concerns the struggle between France and Spain/Empire (Charles V) in taking Milan.

I am also reworking the Inheritance of Anjou event by which Charles VIII invades Italy but I need to make more events concerning the Imperial investiture of Il Moro (I would like to change the vanilla events concerning the Inheritance of Milano anticipating them from 1500 to 1494 but I am now studying a better solution) and Naples between 1485-1494 (Conspiracy of the Barons and the marriage of Isabel of Aragon with Gian Galeazzo II).

My first modification in the following event:

Code:
#Treaty of Senlis
event = {
	id = 170000
        trigger = { 
		event = 3321 #Hapsburg inheritance of Burgundy
                NOT = { AND = { owned = { province = 379 data = -1 } #artois  #No complete defeat of Burgundy
                                owned = { province = 387 data = -1 } #franche comté
                                owned = { province = 380 data = -1 } #flandern
                        }
                }
	}
        random = no
        country = FRA
        name = "EVENTNAME170000"
        desc = "EVENTHIST170000"

style = 1

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1493 }
        offset = 150 
        deathdate = { day = 31 month = december year = 1498 }

action_a = {#Renounce our claims on Burgundian lands
        	name = "ACTIONNAME170000A"
                command = { type = removecore which = 379 }
                command = { type = removecore which = 380 }
                command = { type = removecore which = 387 }
              	command = { type = secedeprovince which = BUR value = 387 }
                command = { type = secedeprovince which = BUR value = 379 }
                command = { type = stability value = 1 }
        }
        action_b = {#Keep on fighting for our rightful claim
                name = "ACTIONNAME170000B"
                command = { type = stability value = -2 }
               	command = { type = sleepevent which = 12021 }#France should decide between its Italian campaign and fighting for Burgundy
                [COLOR=SandyBrown]command = { type = sleepevent which = 12024 }#Invasion of Milan[/COLOR] 
        }
}
We need to add a string to text.csv with this description already included in the event FRA170000 because it is easier to read on the screen:

EVENTNAME170000;Treaty of Senlis;;;;;;;;;;
EVENTHIST170000;In order to be able to marry Anne of Brittany and win Brittany for the French crown, Charles VIII dissolved his betrothal to Margarete of Hapsburg, thus violating the terms of the Peace of Arras that had assigned Artois and Franche Comté to France as dowry of Margarete. Maximilian had managed to consolidate Hapsburg rule and soon gained ground against France when the war recommenced. Since Charles was preparing a campaign in Italy, he admitted that he had lost his right to the dowry and ceded the provinces back to Burgundy in the Treaty of Senlis in 1493.;;;;;;;;;;
ACTIONNAME170000B;Keep on fighting for our rightful claim;;;;;;;;;;
ACTIONNAME170000A;Renounce our claims on Burgundian lands;;;;;;;;;;

The line coloured in brown should be removed, because Charles VIII cannot decide on the future intention of Louis XII to invade Italy, IMHO.

Last edited:
As for now I would try to solve the problem with the timeframe 1512-1535 in which France/Milan/Spain/Switzerland and Austria are involved.

I have added the deathdate with less offset and SAV vassalization to this agceep event:

Code:
### Louis XII's Invasion of Milan ###

event = {  
	id = 12024
	trigger = {
		monarch = 04005 #Louis XII
		exists = MLO
	}
	random = no
	country = FRA
	name = "EVENTNAME12024"
	desc = "EVENTHIST12024"
	style = 1
	date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1499 }
	offset = 60					
	date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1500 }

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME12024A"

#command = { type = addcore which = 389} #lombardia
		command = { type = relation  which = SPA value = -50 } #from -100
		#command = { type = relation  which = ARG value = -100 }
		command = { type = relation  which = HAB value = -50 } #from -100
		command = { type = trigger  which = 17386 } #PAP comment out French intervention
		command = { type = vassal which = SAV } #added - according to SAV17409 Civil chaos in Savoy
		command = { type = relation  which = MLO value = -100 } #added
		command = { type = casusbelli which = MLO value = 192} #added until 1515 Louis XII's death
	}
	action_b = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME12024B"
		command = { type = relation which = MLO value = 50} #from 200
		command = { type = relation which = PAP value = -100}
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 12025} #FRA French withdrawal from Milan 
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 12026} #SPA French Meddling in Italy
	}
}
EDIT: reworked event on Fodoron's suggestions and some other changes.

moved from page 4:

Code:
# The Betrayal at Novara (MLO event by Bordic)###
# Ludovico il Moro is captured

event = {
	id = 228022
	trigger = { war = { country = MLO country = FRA } }
	random = no
	country = MLO
	name = "EVENTNAME228022"
	desc = "EVENTHIST228022"
	style = 2

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1500 }
	offset = 30
	date = { day = 1 month = december year = 1507 }

action_a = { #Treason!
		name = "ACTIONNAME4982A"
		command = { type = cash value = -50}
		command = { type = MIL which = -2 value = 60 }
		command = { type = stability value = -3}
		command = { type = relation which = HEL value = -50}
		command = { type = trigger  which = 184066 } #HEL The Betrayal at Novara
	}
}

# The Betrayal at Novara (HEL event by Bordic)###
# Ludovico il Moro is captured

event = {
	id = 184066

random = no
	country = HEL
	name = "EVENTNAME228022"
	desc = "EVENTHIST228022"
	style = 2

action_a = { #We can't fight against our brothers!
		name = "ACTIONNAME184066A"
		command = { type = cash value = 75 } #money for the betrayal
		command = { type = MIL which = -2 value = 24 }
		command = { type = stability value = -1}
		command = { type = relation which = FRA value = 25}
	}
}
EVENTNAME228022;The Betrayal at Novara;;;;;;;;;;
EVENTHIST228022;When in 1499 the French troops invaded Milan, Lodovico il Moro escaped to Innsbruck in Austria at the court of Maximilian I to ask his protection. The following year he returned to Milan where he was still warmly accepted by the citizenship. He then arranged an army including Swiss mercenaries and made the way to Novara. There he faced the French troops lead by Trivulzio, also hiring Swiss mercenaries. It happened that the Swiss troops hired by Il Moro, probably lured by the French gold and incited by their counterparts engaged by Louis XII, refused to fight. In order to escape from the battlefield and from French eyes, Lodovico Sforza disguised himself as a Swiss soldier amongst the mercenaries leaving the camp, but something went wrong, he was recognised and captured. Imprisoned, he was then sent to France where he miserably died, some years later, in the Castle of Loches, in Turenne.;;;;;;;;;;
ACTIONNAME184066A;We can't fight against our brothers!;;;;;;;;;;

Last edited:
And here is my first sequence improving the events already present in agceep, not really tested yet but posted for suggestions and help most of all:

I have called the sequence "MILAN IS THE PRIZE" 1512-1535"

N.B.: some events are written for MLO player, in particular MLO100110 "The Imperial Inheritance of Milan", the player needs to choose between two options, A and the game could end with a Spanish annexion, B the game continues with SPA claiming the Duchy.

Code:
### French withdrawal from Milan (FRA event) 
event = {
	id = 12025
	trigger = {
		owned = { province = 389 data = FRA}
		NOT = {exists = MLO}
		OR = { 	event = 17386 #PAP comment out French intervention
			event = 17024 #PAP Holy League of 1510
	        }
        }
	random = no
	country = FRA
	name = "EVENTNAME12025"
	desc = "EVENTHIST12025"
	style = 2
	date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1512 }
	offset = 30
	deathdate = { day = 1 month = june year = 1512 } 

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME12025A"
		command = { type = independence which = MLO}
		command = { type = independence which = PAM} 
		command = { type = stability value = -1}
		command = { type = trigger which = 100104 } # MLO French withdrawal from Milan
	}
	action_b = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME12025B"
		command = { type = revolt which = 389}
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 389 value = 15}
		command = { type = relation which = HEL value = -50 }
	}
}

### French withdrawal from Milan (MLO event) by Bordic 
event = {
	id = 100104  #triggered by FRA12025

random = no
	country = MLO
	name = "EVENTNAME12025"
	desc = "EVENTHIST12025" 
	style = 2

action_a = { #Massimiliano is our Duke!
		name = "ACTIONNAME100104A"
		command = { type = breakvassal which = FRA }
                command = { type = inherit which = PAM}
		command = { type = stability value = 2}
		command = { type = relation which = FRA value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = HEL value = 25 }
	}
}

### French withdrawal from Milan (HEL event) by Bordic
event = {

id = 100105 
	trigger = { event = 100104 }  # MLO French withdrawal from Milan

random = no
	country = HEL
	name = "EVENTNAME12025"
	desc = "EVENTHIST12025" 

style = 2

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1512 }
	offset = 30
	deathdate = { day = 1 month = january year = 1513 }

action_a ={ #Let Massimiliano be Duke!
		name = "ACTIONNAME100105A"	
		command = { type = vassal which = MLO }
		#command = { type = alliance which = MLO }
		command = { type = cash value = 100 }
		command = { type = population which = -2 value = 2000 }    #Ticino and Valtellina
		command = { type = provincemanpower which = -2 value = 1 } #
		command = { type = provincetax which = -2 value = 1 }      #
		command = { type = relation which = MLO value = 50 }
		command = { type = relation which = HAB value = 25 }
		command = { type = relation which = FRA value = -50 }
		command = { type = relation which = PAP value = 50 }
		command = { type = relation which = VEN value = -25 }
	}
}
EVENTNAME12025;French withdrawal from Milan;;;;;;;;;;6530
EVENTHIST12025;In 1512, the Milanese families bought the services of Swiss mercenaries and drove the French from the city. So Ercole Massimiliano Sforza, eldest son of Lodovico il Moro, could enter Milan receiving the keys to the city from the Swiss soldiers, who promised to protect the duchy of Milan and to help the Duke in sending to him all the troops he would need. The Duke granted them the acquisition of the ducal territories Ticino and Valtellina, the most important accesses to the Alpine passes.;;;;;;;;;;8809
ACTIONNAME12025B;Never Surrender;;;;;;;;;;13954
ACTIONNAME12025A;Commence tactical retreat;;;;;;;;;;13955
ACTIONNAME100104A;Massimiliano is our Duke!;;;;;;;;;;
ACTIONNAME100105A;Let Massimiliano be Duke!;;;;;;;;;;

Code:
#### French Meddling in Italy (SPA Event) ###  to be disabled!!!
event = {
	id = 12026
	trigger = {
		exists = FRA
		exists = HAB
		event = 12024 #FRA Louis XII's Invasion of Milan
		###OR = { event = 12022 #NAP French Aggression, NO NEED because of Orléannais rights, not Angevin
		###	  event = 17386 #PAP France pressed claims in Milan, NO NEED as FRA12024_B sleeps this event
		###}
	}
	random = no
	country = SPA
	name = "EVENTNAME12026"
	desc = "EVENTHIST12026"
	style = 2
	date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1520 } #from 1521
	offset = 30
	deathdate = { day = 1 month = january year = 1525 }

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME12026A"
		command = { type = casusbelli which = FRA value = 60} #from 24
		command = { type = alliance which = HAB}
		command = { type = relation which = FRA value = -75} #from -200
		command = { type = trigger which = 100106 }# HAB French Meddling in Italy ADDED
	}
#	action_b = {
#		name = "ACTIONNAME12026B"
#		command = { type = stability value = 1}
#		command = { type = sleepevent which = 12027} #FRA Francis I is captured
#		command = { type = sleepevent which = 12028} #FRA Peace of Cambrai
#		}
}
EVENTNAME12026;French Meddling in Italy;;;;;;;;;;6529
EVENTHIST12026;===;;;;;;;;;;8808 -> Could we use EVENTHIST100108 instead?
ACTIONNAME12026B;We have more pressing concerns than the French;;;;;;;;;;13952 ->TO BE REMOVED FROM TEXT.CSV
ACTIONNAME12026A;Let us drive the French from Italy for good;;;;;;;;;;13953

N.B.: WE COULD JUST REMOVE SPA12026 AND USE MY HAB100106 OR MLO100107 AS STARTING EVENTS INSTEAD, ADDING DATE/DEATHDATE AS FOLLOWS:

Code:
### French Meddling in Italy (HAB Event) ### by Bordic
event = {	
	id = 100106 	
	trigger = { 	owned = { province = 389 data = -1 }
			NOT = {exists = MLO}
	}
	random = no
	country = HAB
	name = "EVENTNAME12026"
	desc = "EVENTHIST100108" 
	style = 2

date = { day = 28 month = june year = 1519 } 
	offset = 30
	deathdate = { day = 1 month = january year = 1520 }

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME100106A"
		command = { type = independence which = MLO}
		command = { type = relation which = SPA value = 100 }
		command = { type = relation which = HEL value = 100 }
		command = { type = trigger which = 100107 }# MLO French Meddling in Italy ADDED
	}
}

### French Meddling in Italy (MLO Event) ### by Bordic
event = {
	id = 100107  

random = no
	country = MLO
	name = "EVENTNAME12026"
	desc = "EVENTHIST100108" 
	style = 2

offset = 30
	deathdate = { day = 1 month = january year = 1520 }

action_a = { #Ask Imperial Protection
		name = "ACTIONNAME100107A"
		command = { type = breakvassal which = HAB }
		command = { type = breakvassal which = FRA }
		command = { type = breakvassal which = HEL }
		command = { type = stability value = 3}
		command = { type = relation which = HAB value = 100 }
	}
}

###Milan Imperial Fief (SPA event) by Bordic
event = {

id = 100108	
	trigger = { 	
		event = 100107 #MLO French Meddling in Italy
		NOT =  { war  = { country = SPA country = MLO } 
		}
	}
	random = no
	country = SPA
	name = "EVENTNAME100108"
	desc = "EVENTHIST100108"

style = 2

offset = 30
	deathdate = { day = 1 month = january year = 1525 }

action_a ={ # Milan is our fief
		name = "ACTIONNAME100108A"	
		command = { type = alliance which = MLO }
		command = { type = addcore which = 389 } #lombardia
		command = { type = relation which = MLO value = 200 }
		command = { type = relation which = FRA value = -100 }
		command = { type = relation which = PAP value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = TOS value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = GEN value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = SAV value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = PIS value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = PAR value = 25 }
		command = { type = relation which = MAN value = 25 }
		command = { type = trigger which = 100109 }# FRA Milan Imperial Fief
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 100116 } #SPA Milan Imperial Fief II
	}
}

###Milan Imperial Fief II (SPA event if MILAN doesn't exist) by Bordic
event = {

id = 100116	
	trigger = { 	
		NOT = { exists = MLO }
	}
	random = no
	country = SPA
	name = "EVENTNAME100108"
	desc = "EVENTHIST100108"

style = 2

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1520 } 
	offset = 30
	deathdate = { day = 1 month = january year = 1535 } 

action_a ={ # Milan is our fief
		name = "ACTIONNAME100108A"	
		command = { type = relation which = MLO value = 200 }
		command = { type = relation which = PAP value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = TOS value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = GEN value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = SAV value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = PIS value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = PAR value = 25 }
		command = { type = trigger which = 100109 }# FRA Milan Imperial Fief
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 100108} #SPA Milan Imperial Fief I
	}
}

###Milan Imperial Fief (FRA event) by Bordic
event = {
	id = 100109	#triggered by SPA100108 or SPA100116

random = no
	country = FRA
	name = "EVENTNAME100108"
	desc = "EVENTHIST100108"

style = 2

action_a = { #Milan is Orléannaise
		name = "ACTIONNAME100109A"
		command = { type = casusbelli which = MLO value = 60}
		command = { type = casusbelli which = SPA value = 60}
		command = { type = relation which = MLO value = -100 }
		command = { type = relation which = HAB value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = HEL value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = SPA value = -100 }
		command = { type = relation which = PAP value = 25 }
		command = { type = relation which = TOS value = 25 }
		command = { type = relation which = VEN value = 25 }
		command = { type = relation which = GEN value = 25 }
		command = { type = relation which = SAV value = 25 }
		command = { type = relation which = PIS value = 25 }
		command = { type = relation which = PAR value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = MAN value = -25 }
	}
}
EVENTNAME100108;Milan Imperial Fief;;;;;;;;;;
EVENTHIST100108;After the death of Charles I's grand-father, the Emperor Maximilian I of Hapsburg, Charles I, also King of Spain and Duke of Burgundy, became Holy Roman Emperor on 28 June 1519 thanks to the money of his bankers, Fuggers and Welsers mainly, in a very expensive struggle with François Ier King of France who also wanted to be elected Emperor because he proclaimed himself as the legitimate heir of Charlemagne, the first Emperor of Frankish Dynasty. All the electors were heavily bribed in order to obtain the much desired vote. That was standard practice at those times. Don Carlos 'bought' the Imperial title paying 850,000 golden florins (equal to a value of Kg 2,100 of gold) to the Great Electors and their emissaries, that money came mainly from the Castilian rents as the New World still didn't provide with much income. Together with the title, the new Emperor Charles V obtained also the rights of suzerainity over all the Imperial lands and, amongst them, over one of the richest and most industrialized lands in Europe at those times, the Duchy of Milan.;;;;;;;;;;
ACTIONNAME100109A;Milan must be ours!;;;;;;;;;;
ACTIONNAME100108A;Milan is our fief!;;;;;;;;;;
ACTIONNAME100107A;Ask Imperial Protection;;;;;;;;;;

Code:
### François Ier is captured ### 
event = {
	id = 12027
	trigger = {
		war = { country = SPA country = FRA }
		exists = SPA
		exists = HAB
		event = 12026 #SPA French Meddling in Italy
}
	random = no
	country = FRA
	name = "EVENTNAME12027"
	desc = "EVENTHIST12027"
	style = 2
	date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1525 }
	offset = 30 #from 90
	deathdate = { day = 1 month = january year = 1526 } #added

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME12027A"
		command = { type = cash value = -200}
		command = { type = stability value = -2}
		}
}
EVENTHIST12027;On the 24 of February 1525, in the battle of Pavia the Imperial armies led by Ferdinando Francisco d'Avalos, Marqués de Pescara (the winner at Bicocca 1522), decimated the French troops led by king François Ier. Many French leaders died on the battlefield, such as De la Tremoille, La Palice and Bonnivet. King François Ier, instead, fell from his horse shot out under him, and taken captive. Since 24 february was Charles V's 25th birthday, the Valois was the biggest gift he could ever receive. François Ier was carted off to Madrid, where he was held in prison for ransom, and asked to renounce his claims in Italy and Flanders.;;;;;;;;;;8807

Code:
### Peace of Cambrai ### 
event = {
	id = 12028
	trigger = {
		event = 12026 #SPA French Meddling in Italy
		NOT = { owned = { province = 389 data = -1 } }
		NOT = { owned = { province = 393 data = -1 } }
	}
	random = no
	country = FRA
	name = "EVENTNAME12028"
	desc = "EVENTHIST3108"
	style = 2
	date = { day = 1 month = july year = 1529 } #from january
	offset = 30 #from 360
	deathdate = { day = 1 month = january year = 1530 } #added

action_a ={				#No one seem to acknowledge our claims#
		name = "ACTIONNAME3108A"
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 389 value = -15 }
		#command = { type = removecore which = 389 } #lombardia
		#command = { type = removecore which = 393 } #naples
		#command = { type = removecore which = 394 } #apulia
		command = { type = relation which = SPA value = 100 }
		command = { type = relation which = ARG value = 100 }
		command = { type = relation which = NAP value = 100 }
		command = { type = stability value = 1 }
	}
	action_b ={				#We will never drop our claims on what is ours#
		name = "ACTIONNAME3108B"
		command = { type = relation  which = SPA value = -150 }
		command = { type = relation  which = HAB value = -150 }
		command = { type = relation  which = ARG value = -150 }
		command = { type = relation  which = NAP value = -150 }
		command = { type = relation  which = PAP  value = -150 }
		command = { type = relation  which = TOS  value = -150 }
		command = { type = relation  which = MLO  value = -150 }
		command = { type = relation  which = MAN  value = -150 }
		command = { type = relation  which = PAR  value = -150 }
		command = { type = relation  which = GEN  value = -150 }
		command = { type = stability value = -2 }
	}
}
EVENTHIST3108;During the Period 1524-1529 the French King experienced several setbacks. Not only did he starts and lose several campaigns in Italy, but in 1525 he was also captured in the battle of Pavia and brought to Madrid in chains where he had to denounce all his claims. It did not end with that though. The French King refused to denounce his claims and again and again attacked in Italy. However, slowly he understood that the Italians would not accept a French monarch. For them belonging to a weak Holy Roman Empire was much better, and the French King also found that his opponents never had a problem with getting the majority of the lesser Italian states into their alliance. So at last after numerous fruitless wars the French King gave up his claims in Italy.;;;;;;;;;;7977

N.B.:This description need to be changed also because it isn't true that Italian states wanted an Emperor to rule them expecially after that Genoa switched sides in 1528 with Andrea Doria in favour of Spain and France lost her control over the coasts.

Code:
#Peace in Milan#
event = {
	id = 12029	
	trigger = {
			owned = { province = 393 data = -1 } 
			event = 12025 #FRA French withdrawal from Milan
			NOT = { event = 12028 } #FRA Peace of Cambrai
	}
	random = no
	country = FRA
	name = "EVENTNAME12029"
	desc = "EVENTHIST12029"
	style = 2
	date = { day = 1 month = february year = 1535 }
	offset = 30
	date = { day = 1 month = october year = 1535 } #added

action_a = {
			name = "ACTIONNAME12023A"
			command = { type = relation  which = SPA value = -50 }
			command = { type = relation  which = HAB value = -50 }
			command = { type = relation  which = ARG value = -50 }
			command = { type = relation  which = NAP value = -50 }
			command = { type = relation  which = PAP  value = -50 }
			command = { type = relation  which = TOS  value = -50 }
			command = { type = relation  which = MLO  value = -50 }
			command = { type = relation  which = MAN  value = -50 }
			command = { type = relation  which = PAR  value = -50 }
			command = { type = relation  which = GEN  value = -50 }
			command = { type = relation  which = VEN  value = -50 }
	}
}
EVENTHIST12029;Resistance in Milan, as well as the use of the city as a focus for dissidents from abroad has finally come to an end. This has much to do with the extinction of the Sforza family (the sons of Ludovico il Moro, Massimiliano and Francesco Maria, both died without a direct male heir). Although the Spanish, Habsburg, and Italian states are unhappy with our presence in Italy, we are firmly entrenched there.;;;;;;;;;;8806
ACTIONNAME12023A;Bien;;;;;;;;;;13958

AND THOSE EVENTS, MAINLY WRITTEN FOR A MLO-PLAYER :

Code:
#The Imperial Inheritance of Milan (MLO Version)# by Bordic
event = {
	id = 100110   		
	trigger = {
		atwar = no  
		NOT = { owned = { province = 389 data = FRA } }
		NOT = {	vassal = { country = FRA country = MLO } }
	}
        random = no
	country = MLO
	name = "EVENTNAME100110"
	desc = "EVENTHIST100110"

style = 2

date = { day = 2 month = november year = 1535}
	offset = 30
	deathdate = { day = 17 month = september year = 1544}

action_a ={ #accept Hapsburgs' rule (possible Game over)#
		name = "ACTIONNAME100110A"
		command = { type = breakvassal which = HEL }
		command = { type = vp value = -5 }	
	}	
	action_b ={ #Rule as an independent Duchy#
		name = "ACTIONNAME100110B"
		command = { type = breakvassal which = SPA }
		command = { type = relation which = HAB value = -50 }
		command = { type = trigger which = 100112 } #SPA forced annexation
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 100111 } #SPA diplo-annexation	
	}
}

#The Imperial Inheritance of Milan 1535 (SPA Version)# diplo-annexation # by Bordic
event = {
	id = 100111   	
	trigger = {
		event = 100110 #MLO The Imperial Inheritance of Milan 
		atwar = no  
	}	
        random = no
	country = SPA
	name = "EVENTNAME100110"
	desc = "EVENTHIST100110"

style = 2

date = { day = 2 month = november year = 1535}
	offset = 30
	deathdate = { day = 17 month = september year = 1544}

action_a ={ #Rule it as a Governorate of Spain#
		name = "ACTIONNAME100111A"
		command = { type = inherit which = MLO }
		command = { type = secedeprovince which = PAP value = 402 } #Emilia
		command = { type = stability value = -1 }
		command = { type = trigger which = 100113 }# FRA100113 casus belli 1538 invasion of Savoy
	}
	action_b ={ #Rule it as a fief of Spain#
		name = "ACTIONNAME100111B"
		command = { type = relation which = FRA value = -50 }
		command = { type = relation which = PAP value = 25 }
		command = { type = relation which = TOS value = 25 }
		command = { type = relation which = VEN value = 25 }
	}
	action_c ={ #Rule it as an independent Duchy#
		name = "ACTIONNAME100111C"
		command = { type = relation which = FRA value = 25 }
		command = { type = DIP which = -2 value = 60 }	
	}
}

#The Imperial Inheritance of Milan 1535 (SPA Version)# forced annexation # by Bordic
event = {
	id = 100112	#triggered by MLO100110B			
        random = no
	country = SPA
	name = "EVENTNAME100110"
	desc = "EVENTHIST100110"

style = 2

action_a ={ #Milan is under Imperial rule				
		name = "ACTIONNAME100112A"
		command = { type = relation which = MLO value = -100 }
	}
}

#The Imperial Inheritance of Milan 1535 (FRA Version)# by Bordic
event = {
	id = 100113     #triggered by SPA100111A				
        random = no
	country = FRA
	name = "EVENTNAME100110"
	desc = "EVENTHIST100110"

style = 2

action_a ={ #Milan is Orléanais				
		name = "ACTIONNAME100109A"
		#command = { type = addcore which = 389 } #lombardia and so breaking the 1529 Peace of Cambrai
		command = { type = casusbelli which = SAV value = 60} #ADDED France invaded Savoy IRL
		command = { type = casusbelli which = SPA value = 60}
		command = { type = relation which = SAV value = -100 }
	}
	action_b ={ #Abandon claims on Milan				
		name = "ACTIONNAME100113B"
		#command = { type = removecore which = 389 } #lombardia
		command = { type = relation which = SPA value = 50 }
		command = { type = DIP which = -2 value = 60 }	
	}
}
EVENTNAME100110;The Imperial Inheritance of Milan;;;;;;;;;;
EVENTHIST100110;In 1530 during the congress of Bologna Pope Clement VII consecrated Charles V Holy Roman Emperor and convinced him to forgive the behaviour of Francesco II Sforza who joined the League of Cognac, as the Pope himself did, confirming him still Duke of Milan. Charles V conceded the ducal title but with the firm condition that on Sforza's death the Duchy would have returned definitely to the Empire. A marriage was also agreed between Sforza and Charles V's niece Christine of Danmark. On 2 November 1535 Duke Francesco II Sforza died childless and according to previous agreements of Bologna the Duchy became a personal Emperor's possession which Charles V assigned to appointed life-governors. His decisions strongly displeased François Ier, whose sons Henri and (after Henri became the Great Dauphin) Charles, both Dukes of Orléans still claiming the Milanese throne, expressed their candidatures.;;;;;;;;;;
ACTIONNAME100110B;We refuse a Spanish rule;;;;;;;;;;
ACTIONNAME100110A;We accept our suzerain's will (possible Game over);;;;;;;;;;
ACTIONNAME100111C;Let them govern by themselves;;;;;;;;;;
ACTIONNAME100111B;Let Milan be our fief;;;;;;;;;;
ACTIONNAME100111A;Milan is under Spanish rule;;;;;;;;;;
ACTIONNAME100112A;Milan must be ours!;;;;;;;;;;
ACTIONNAME100113B;Milan is not our business;;;;;;;;;;

A starting point for further discussions... :)

EDIT2: reworked sequence on Fodoron's suggestions and some other changes in order to remove SPA12026 as it is now redundant.
- changed secedeprovince 402 to independence PAM in FRA12025 and added inherit PAM in MLO100104
- changed description in event 100110
- 3nd UPDATE as of Dec 11! ;)

Last edited:
Bordic said:
The line coloured in sienna brown should be removed, because Charles VIII cannot decide on the future intention of Louis XII to invade Italy, IMHO.

Totally agree with this.

Bordic said:
Code:
event = {  
	id = 12024
	action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME12024A"
		command = { type = addcore which = 389} #lombardia

Totally oppose this. A valid claim for casus belli (mostly to Louis) does not equate to a core. shoulb be changed by a long casus belli. The relation hits in this event are also pretty drastic. IMO it should have a -100 against MLO (missing), and -50 against SPA and HAB. ARG should not be involved in Milan. If the event refers to Naples also, then it needs more things. In option B, the relation changes should also be toned down. If FRA says to MLO I am not going to attack you, it should be +50 not +200

Bordic said:
Code:
event = {
	id = 100105 	
action_a ={ #Let Massimiliano be duke!

This event needs a tone down of relation hits. I suggest all 50s are made 25 and 100s are made 50. You don't want a war between FRA and HEL that usually ends with HEL force annexation. I am also quite unsure that buying Swiss mercenary support equates to a vassalization and an alliance. I am sure Massimiliano did not see it that way, can you justify this commands? duke should be capitalized in Actionnames and without !: Let Massimiliano be the Duke of Milan

Code:
event = {
	id = 12026

This event is wrong. Spain had no choice between peace or war. After his defeat in his candidacy to the Imperial Crown, Francis was waiting for the right time to attack. The first decissions by Carlos in Spain were so wrong that they triggered the Comuneros and Germanias revolts in Castile and Aragon. At the same time the Ottomans were attacking Austria. After the first successes by the Spanish revolters, Francis sensed the weakness of Carlos position, declared war to Spain and invaded Navarra in the first action of the war in May 1521. The French army supporting André de Foix took Pamplona and entered Castile, hoping to gain the support of the Comuneros, reaching Logroño. The Spanish armies reaction completely anihilated the French army recovering Navarra once and for all. Milan was just another front in this war. Another of Francis' bonehead decisions.

This event should have only one choice (I suggest the relation hit is reduced to -75), and obviously the description should be changed.

From now on I will not comment in relation hits, but IMO if you cut them all by half the whole thing will work better. Relations go up very slowly to have these huge hits.

Bordic said:
Code:
event = {
	id = 100109	#triggered by SPA100108
	trigger = { core = { province = 389 data = -1 } #lombardia
As I already said, I don't believe FRA should have a core on Lombardia. Perhaps this should just renew the CB.
The description with all the breakdown of amounts paid is tiresome, only the total amount is relevant, as this is not a EU inquire over comissions. It should also be said that this was standard practice. Francis simply had less money to buy the title. It should also say where the money came from. Castile paid for the imperial crown from her rents, as the New World did not provide with much income until the conquest of Mexico.

Bordic said:
Code:
event = {
	id = 12028
	action_a ={				#No one seem to acknowledge our claims#
		name = "ACTIONNAME3108A"
		command = { type = removecore which = 389 } #lombardia
		command = { type = removecore which = 393 } #naples
		command = { type = removecore which = 394 } #apulia
I believe FRA should not have any of these cores in the first place.
EVENTHIST3108 is also mistaken. The battle of Pavia took place on February 23, 1525, and Francis was captured on that date, that was also Carlos birthday, so we could say that a wrapped up Francis was his birthday gift ;)
The turning point in the Italian wars is believed to be the defection of the Genoese. Without them the French position was terribly weak, as they had to enter Italy through Asti, and they could not embarck towards Pisa or Naples as before.

More comments on another time.

Fodoron said:
Totally oppose this. A valid claim for casus belli (mostly to Louis) does not equate to a core. shoulb be changed by a long casus belli. The relation hits in this event are also pretty drastic. IMO it should have a -100 against MLO (missing), and -50 against SPA and HAB. ARG should not be involved in Milan. If the event refers to Naples also, then it needs more things. In option B, the relation changes should also be toned down. If FRA says to MLO I am not going to attack you, it should be +50 not +200
Well that is what I have found in agceep folder I only added deathdate and SAV vassalization (could be historical because Louis XII made a Friendships traty with the Duke of Savoy, Charles III?) in order to have a MA to Milan.

This event needs a tone down of relation hits. I suggest all 50s are made 25 and 100s are made 50. You don't want a war between FRA and HEL that usually ends with HEL force annexation. I am also quite unsure that buying Swiss mercenary support equates to a vassalization and an alliance. I am sure Massimiliano did not see it that way, can you justify this commands? duke should be capitalized in Actionnames and without !: Let Massimiliano be the Duke of Milan
I agree. As I have read Swiss troops occupied Milan (Archbishop of Sion) according to Pope's will and Massimiliano ceded territories to the 1499 born "Confederatio Helvetica" like Valtellina, Ossola...
Have a look at here at those lines
1510 14 maggio,
1510 15 agosto,
1512 6 maggio
1512 29 dicembre

(I seem to understand that you can read Italian! :) )
For the Swiss support and protection the new Duke Massimiliano conceded them the possession of several valleys.
from cronologia.it RIASSUNTO ANNI dal 1504 al 1513 :Questi (Sforza) il 29 dicembre ricevette con una solenne cerimonia le chiavi di Milano dagli Svizzeri, i quali si impegnarono di proteggere il ducato Milanese e di mandare in suo aiuto tutte le truppe occorrenti. on 29 December in a solemn ceremony Sforza received the keys to the city of Milan from the Swiss soldiers, who promised to protect the duchy of Milan and to help the Duke in sending him all the troops needed. Well, IMO that means HEL protection->MLO vassal! ;)

Code:
event = {
	id = 12026
This event is wrong. Spain had no choice between peace or war. After his defeat in his candidacy to the Imperial Crown, Francis was waiting for the right time to attack. The first decissions by Carlos in Spain were so wrong that they triggered the Comuneros and Germanias revolts in Castile and Aragon. At the same time the Ottomans were attacking Austria. After the first successes by the Spanish revolters, Francis sensed the weakness of Carlos position, declared war to Spain and invaded Navarra in the first action of the war in May 1521. The French army supporting André de Foix took Pamplona and entered Castile, hoping to gain the support of the Comuneros, reaching Logroño. The Spanish armies reaction completely anihilated the French army recovering Navarra once and for all. Milan was just another front in this war. Another of Francis' bonehead decisions.
This event should have only one choice (I suggest the relation hit is reduced to -75), and obviously the description should be changed.
Well I have made modifications only in triggers, dates and where I have written ADDED at the end of each line.
From now on I will not comment in relation hits, but IMO if you cut them all by half the whole thing will work better. Relations go up very slowly to have these huge hits.
You say to cut off 50% of good or bad ralation hits in ALL events posted here? I'll do it asap.

As I already said, I don't believe FRA should have a core on Lombardia. Perhaps this should just renew the CB.
The description with all the breakdown of amounts paid is tiresome, only the total amount is relevant, as this is not a EU inquire over comissions. It should also be said that this was standard practice. Francis simply had less money to buy the title. It should also say where the money came from. Castile paid for the imperial crown from her rents, as the New World did not provide with much income until the conquest of Mexico.
Just for a bit of accountancy... :D
What is the English for "fiorini"?
I believe FRA should not have any of these cores in the first place.
EVENTHIST3108 is also mistaken. The battle of Pavia took place on February 23, 1525, and Francis was captured on that date, that was also Carlos birthday, so we could say that a wrapped up Francis was his birthday gift ;)
The turning point in the Italian wars is believed to be the defection of the Genoese. Without them the French position was terribly weak, as they had to enter Italy through Asti, and they could not embarck towards Pisa or Naples as before. More comments on another time.
Sorry,I haven't written the EVENTHIST3108, just copy and paste...
As I have already said I made only additions to the events already in agceep and the modifications are shown after # of each line.

Last edited:
Bordic said:
I agree. As I have read Swiss troops occupied Milan (Archbishop of Sion) according to Pope's will and Massimiliano ceded territories to the 1499 born "Confederatio Helvetica" like Valtellina, Ossola...
Have a look at here at those lines
1510 14 maggio,
1510 15 agosto,
1512 6 maggio
1512 29 dicembre

(I seem to understand that you can read Italian! :) )
Yes, I can struggle with written Italian enough to understand most of it :rofl:
Looks to me that the Swiss got awesomely well paid for their services. This will have to be represented with ducats, as small pieces of land cannot exchange hands in EU2. In my opinion HEL was not suzerain of anybody, nor allied to anybody. In theory they could only provide their services to the Pope or the Emperor, but during the Italian Wars they decided to break the rule and sell their services to the French King. A most controversial decision even between the Cantons.
I believe Fiorini could just be Florins.

In my opinion we have to start from the beginning taking whatever we can from what it has alredy been done, and crediting the original authors. But adding a patch here or there will result in a less coherent Italian wars add-on. I suggest we do what I did with the formation of Spain and the war of Succession even if many old events have to be substituted.

I would like to have more opinions on the cores. I think cores are handed too easily as AI bait, giving place to a lot of ahistoricity. Does anybody believe that France deserves cores in Italy and why? Bear in mind that cores represent esential parts of the country, increasing income and recruiting power. Outside of national provinces they are usually given to provinces ruled for a very long time (over a century) and considered an esential part of the country.

I will quote myself here:
Fodoron said:
Louis XI of France would be succeeded in 1483 by young Charles VIII. Charles VIII was a throwback. He lived lost in a world of chivalry. Helped by his sister, he turned back a last gasp by the powerful dukes of Orleans and Brittany, supported by England and the Habsburgs in 1488. He clearly had a grand design, probably inspired by the Spanish Reconquista and the rise of the Ottoman Turks. He dreamed of his own crusade versus the infidel and recapturing Jerusalem for Christendom. He based his plan on a nebulous claim that his family had for the throne of Naples in Southern Italy through his paternal grandmother, Marie of Anjou (1404 - 1463). Charles’ ambitions were widely known, and Ludovico Sforza felt that they could solve his own problems with Naples. Florence under Piero de Medici was shifting alliances from Ludovico of Milan towards Ferrante of Naples. Ludovico, quite paranoid about it, signed an Act of Confederation with the new Pope Alexander VI (Rodrigo Borgia) on April 22, 1493, inviting Venice to the league. Ferrante counterattacked by pressing Ludovico to resign to his regency of Milan, since his nephew the Duke, Gian Galeazzo Sforza, was already 22 and married to Ferrante's granddaughter Isabella. Ferrante threatened to declare Ludovico an usurper, and Ludovico decided to bring a bigger threat over Ferrante's head. He misscalculated hugely bringing about the ruin of both Naples and Milan.

However Ludovico felt it would be dangerous to be solely responsible for bringing about a French invasion, and so he persuaded Pope Alexander VI to help him convince Charles VIII. Ludovico's ambassador, Carlo da Barbiano, spoke to the great lords of the Royal Council about the legality of Charles VIII’s claim to the Kingdom of Naples, about the weakness of the armies of the King of Naples, and about the glory the conquest of Naples would bring to France. But most of the great lords of the Royal Council were against an attack on Naples, seeing it as very expensive and very dangerous; that the King of Naples was rich and powerful and his son was a skilled general. They argued that Charles VIII was too inexperienced to fight a war and that his advisers were weak and foolish to trust Ludovico Sforza, who was known all over Italy for his treachery.

But Charles VIII, a youth of twenty-two, was carried away by a thirst for glory and a desire to conquer the Kingdom of Naples, and paid very little attention to the arguments of the great lords of the Royal Council. Instead, he heard the advice of his own advisers, many of whom had been corrupted by the money and promises of Ludovico Sforza’s ambassador, who offered them the possibility of getting land and estates in the Kingdom of Naples and ecclesiastical positions from the Pope. Finally, after several days’ debate, Charles VIII signed a secret agreement with Ludovico Sforza’s ambassador, by which it was agreed that Charles VIII would send an army to invade the Kingdom of Naples and Milan would provide men, money and free passage.

To have his hands free in Italy, Charles made ruinous pacts with all his neighbours, so they would not interfere. Henry VII was given cash, Ferdinand II of Aragon was given the Rousillon. Maximilian was given Artois and Franche-Comté. This handing out of territory is symptomatic of Charles’ lack of foresight as once it was gone it could not make a contribution to France any more and each parcel of land had potential strategic implications to the defence of France, especially Artois and Franche-Comté, both of which bordered Imperial land. Additionally, once given, nothing obliged the receiver to keep his word, and they didn't. However, Charles was willing to do this in his attempt to establish his Neapolitan base for his crusade.
So the first event should be a French one, with a long description based on this text. Option A should cost money, and secede Rousillon, Artois and Franche-Comté, Providing good relations with all (including Venice) but Naples. It should provide a CB on Naples. Option B should only affect relations and would sleep Italian events up to Louis XII if necessary.
I know it is very unbalanced but this was a really bonehead move by Charles, that his own Council advised against.

EDIT: This can be merged with current 170000, the first event in this thread.

Last edited:
As I said, one of the first things would be to remove ARG cores on Naples and Apulia, and remove NAP from ARG hitlist. By 1494 NAP was still very much alive and that is what we should aim for.
Everytime I play Castile and I am allied to ARG, I am dragged to this wars against NAP. They are unpredictable, since the strait that they have to cross makes the first one crossing it the likely loser in the war. ARG is more powerful and keeps trying until usually subdues NAP, only to release it as a vassal by event. By 1500 we will have Spain with Fernando, ready to go after Naples.

I don't remember what is the situation after your NAP succession events in the succession of Giovannetta.

Fodoron said:
As I said, one of the first things would be to remove ARG cores on Naples and Apulia, and remove NAP from ARG hitlist. By 1494 NAP was still very much alive and that is what we should aim for.
Everytime I play Castile and I am allied to ARG, I am dragged to this wars against NAP. They are unpredictable, since the strait that they have to cross makes the first one crossing it the likely loser in the war. ARG is more powerful and keeps trying until usually subdues NAP, only to release it as a vassal by event. By 1500 we will have Spain with Fernando, ready to go after Naples.

I don't remember what is the situation after your NAP succession events in the succession of Giovannetta.
Just to let you know: :)
I have already made several events about Naples ruled by the Trestamara and its relations with Il Moro.
- the marriage between Ferrante's grand daughter and Gian Galeazzo II 1480-1489
- the conspiracy of the barons 1485-1487
- imperial investiture (MLO3706 moved from 1500 to 1494 with HAB vassallizing MLO and FRA/NAP bad relations to HAB (also MLO for NAP)
- alliance FRA-MLO 1492-1494

those causes (except the alliance FRA-MLO, just an event to raise the relations) should be the triggers (with OR = options , excluding a Kingdom of Naples ruled by the Anjou dynasty!) to the Inheritance of Anjou event.

Should I have to post them? They are not really finished, but they can be discussed as well, as they can give a better idea to the whole sequence.

Last edited:
I have also made events about FRA and SPA (or ARG) for the Treaty of Grenada and a NAP event to worsen the relations to those countries and to weak up the dormant kings (Federico I and his son Ferdinando) just in case NAP survives after 1501.
That event is already posted in page 15 of Italy thread, at the bottom of post no. 723 concerning my modifications to the NAP monarchs.

Sorry, I didn't answer properly to your post! :eek:o
What do you think about giving cores only with the Treaty of Granada?
in 1500: SPA add 393 (Naples) and 394 (Apulia) , yes also Naples (secretly ;) ) while FRA (louis XII) add only 393.

You speak about the ARG event with Alfonso's will to grant independence to Naples in 1458?
But I don't know how could it be good to gameplay, as many times England comes to invade Naples or some North African nations (Themlecen?).

EDIT: Well, I don't know about France having cores on Naples, but Provence should have 393 and 394 as national provinces at least until 1480, René's death.
About a new FRA170000, well I am OK with it.
Are the events about the treaty of Barcelona between FRA and SPA/ARG to be reworked in the same way as the Treaty of Senlis?

Last edited:
When Joan of Naples (Giovannetta) dies in february 1435, if we choose always action_a, Naples shouold be vassalized by Provence (added cores to it and Naples has the Kings of the House of Anjou-Lorraine ) and the war between Naples and Aragon should begin.

In 1442 Provence should make independent Naples if annexed, and Naples should break the vassalage from Provence and change his kings in those of the House of Trastamara. Aragon vassalizes Naples then.

In 1458 if Naples is already annexed by Aragon, it will be released (both options, but option_a frees NAP from vassalage while with option_b NAP remains vassal ).

Then nothing more happens until 1494 if NAP survives as ARG has its cores, while PRO (if it survives from FRA, even if there is an independence event in 1445!) has its cores on 393,394,395 and 396 (Naples and Sicily) indefinitely and also a PRO262026 for assimilation of italian culture.

I think that if Province is made independent in 1445, they should have they cores at least until René's death as I have said in preceding post or until event PRO262019 "The Ducal Residence" removing Italian cores from both options.

I am for sure for an independent NAP. The historical relation was simply dynastic after 1458. Ferrante I (or Ferdinando I) was called also "Il Bastardo" Alfonso's illegitimate son and acted independently. The Barons hated him so much as to call the French two times: the first calling the French Angevins to intervene in Naples in 1458 (Jean of Calabria) and the second fleeing to France from the nobles' persecutions in 1487 (?) after "the conspiracy of the barons" episode asking Charles VIII for intervention in Italy.

EDIT: feel free to make your own events on Italian wars if you think to have full control of the sequence. :) The first post could help us in spotting the events already included in the mod. ;)
Just to point out: I have made no credits in the modified events because I couldn't find the name of the makers beside them! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Bordic said:
In 1458 if Naples is already annexed by Aragon, it will be released (both options, but option_a frees NAP from vassalage while with option_b NAP remains vassal ).
The sequence ARG7114, ARG7115, and ARG7116 will get the job done. However I believe you cannot grant independence and vassalize a country in the same event.

Fodoron said:
The sequence ARG7114, ARG7115, and ARG7116 will get the job done. However I believe you cannot grant independence and vassalize a country in the same event.
I think that the maker used both of them only to oblige the player to make Naples independent, vassal command will be ignored (as independence makes automatic vassalization)!

Why does PRO deserve cores on Naples? They only ruled for 15 years as foreign kings. It will constantly worsen the relations between them if NAP is vassal, making PRO expend more money to keep NAP happy, and it will not help PRO diplo-annex NAP, which is pretty improbable anyway given their size difference and the difficulty of having a land border.

Bordic said:
I think that the maker used both of them only to oblige the player to make Naples independent, vassal command will be ignored (as independence make automatic vassalization)!
This is a reason then to have only one option, if both do the same and another event takes care of the vassalization without alternative.

Fodoron said:
Why does PRO deserve cores on Naples? They only ruled for 15 years as foreign kings. It will constantly worsen the relations between them if NAP is vassal, making PRO expend more money to keep NAP happy, and it will not help PRO diplo-annex NAP, which is pretty improbable anyway given their size difference and the difficulty of having a land border.

IIRC, the House of Anjou (don't know which one! :confused: ) was given a BIG gift by the Pope after Frederick II der Staufer died in 1250, the Kingdom of Sicily. I think it is a good claim.

Fodoron said:
This is a reason then to have only one option, if both do the same and another event takes care of the vassalization without alternative.
option_A is for breaking vassalage; option_B is for a vassalized NAP.
EDIT: I am for a modification of NAP7118.
Ferrante I should decide for his future! Stay with the Aragonese cousins or not? This is the question. :)

Last edited:
Bordic said:
IIRC, the House of Anjou (don't know which one! :confused: ) was given a BIG gift by the Pope after Frederick II der Staufer died in 1250, the Kingdom of Sicily. I think it is a good claim.
Claim NOT = { core }
Claim = { casus belli }
Core means you will receive a bigger income from the province and you will recruit more troops because it is considered an essential part of your kingdom and the province is willing to make a bigger effort for you. Your taking of the province also does not meet with much local resistance. I don't think Provence fulfils any of the conditions in Naples.

I just discovered some more bugs in the Naples sequence. NAP239006 does not take place if NAP239012 has already happened, but NAP239006 happens in 1420, and NAP239012 in 1435

Fodoron said:
Claim NOT = { core }
Claim = { casus belli }
Core means you will receive a bigger income from the province and you will recruit more troops because it is considered an essential part of your kingdom and the province is willing to make a bigger effort for you. Your taking of the province also does not meet with much local resistance. I don't think Provence fulfils any of the conditions in Naples.
The Barons were for the Angevins and when Joan died the Neapoletan nobles asked René if he wanted the crown. I have read it in cronologia.it and put in the NAP event "The Succession of Naples" in "Martinus V and Joan of Naples" sequence posted in Italy thread.

Fodoron said:
I just discovered some more bugs in the Naples sequence. NAP239006 does not take place if NAP239012 has already happened, but NAP239006 happens in 1420, and NAP239012 in 1435
Which id numbers have you got?
EDIT: NAP239012 was a free number before Yodamaster made those replacements
NAP251021->239008
NAP251022->239011
NAP251023->239012
I have already posted a NAP239012 numbered event but it concerns the death of Joan.