• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

rule_brittania

Captain
20 Badges
Sep 29, 2004
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
This is my first AAR, and i only decided to start it when the game was at about 1880 so i only have screenshots from 1860ish. However i will try and give a good account:.....

Prelude ~ The Congress of Vienna

Sir Arthur Wellesley, the Duke of Wellington, arose from the ornate luxury chair he had been waiting in for the past hour.

"I trust you have not been waiting too long my lord?" a German aide asked in perfect but heavily accented English,
"Your trust is misplaced, however, if we could get to business right now, then i would find it in myself to forgive you" Wellington replied,
"The Prince Karl is just readying him to meet you. You will be recieved in the Drawing room in 10 minutes"

The Duke wondered to himself why the Prince had wanted him here this late at night; the debates and arguments that had happened all day, had tired him out. After all he was no politician.

"You may come in now" A large voice beckoned from the next room.
Once again the Duke rose from his chair. He fervently wished he could be back with his men, defeating French Marshals and chasing Napoleon across France, all this comfort, luxury was too much for a man who considered himself a common, albeit high-ranking, soldier. He moved into the lavish drawing room, taking in the beautiful paintings and other decorations that hung across the large room.

"My Lord, you may wonder why i asked you here," began Prince Karl, "and it is true i would never usually do such a thing, but there is one matter i would like to discuss with you before it should get to the ears of those accursed politicians."
"And that matter is your Majesty?" the Duke replied with an expectant tone.
"The matter is, my Lord, that I, and i feel many others, believe that Russia, with the further acquisitions it has gained recently, will become a superpower, fit of repelling all of our nations, even in a coalition. Surely you saw what happened to France,"
"I did, your majesty, yet what exactly are you proposing?"
"I am proposing a free Ukraine! You have seen how many gains Russia is making - surely they cannot protest at this proportionally small demand?"
"And what is your interest in a free Ukraine?"
"Russia is too huge a country to add yet more valuable land onto it, we, now a border country with Russia, would be open to domination if our fears of the Russian bear are realised"
"I see, yet why free the Ukraine? Why not free Poland? Or the Baltic states? Surely these would be preferable, as they are nearer to your Kingdom?"
"Ah, but that is where you're wrong. The Ukrainian people are friendly with the Germans, but the Polish, Lithuanians, Latvians and the like hate us. We believe there would be a useful ally in Ukraine, and it would form a buffer zone between Russia and Southern Europe"
"I don't know - Parliament has not expressed any views on this matter, and how can you be sure it will be supported any way; what's to say we won't be crushed when we put this to discussion?"
"And that's why i need your support! You've seen how they all listen to you, how they all respect you. You are the vanquisher of Marshals, the undefeated. You beat the French out of Portugal, Spain and back over the mountains. With your support, it couldn't fail"
"I am not sure, your majesty. What possible gains can Brittannia make from this?"
"Surely Brittannia wants an ally in the Crimea? A step from which to defend against Russia, should the need ever arise? This proposal would help mighty Brittannia more than any other country!"
"I will have to discuss with the British delegation, your majesty, but from what i have heard tonight, I am sure my fellow delegates, and the Foreign Secretary will be all for this proposal"

And so at the Congress of Vienna, in 1815, after 5 days of Debate and Argument, an Independent Ukraine was born. The so-called 'Treaty of Vienna' gave Ukraine a position of full Autonomy, much offending and annoying the Austrians, who could see Ukraine as a possible challenger to their domination in the Balkans, newly won from the sick man of Europe, the ailing, yet still strong, Ottoman Empire.

wellington1.jpg

Sir Arthur Wellesley, The Duke of Wellington

princekarl.jpg

Prince Karl August von Hardenburg

Last edited:
An interesting premise!

Should be interesting.

Rensslaer

A free Ukraine. Should be fun. Do I suppose you are going for a British gaurantee from the post above?

The introduction has got me listening.

*subscribes*

Rensslaer - Thankyou i hope it can be half as good as one of your AARs.
lifeless, noddy102 - thanks
coz1 - well i would have had it that way but i think it was just 120 relations and possibly protect of 10 in the AI

What i was posting to say was:
1. As i am not here tommorrow i will update tonight with part 1.
2. Could someone please help by making a better flag for Ukro-Romania than this feeble one of my own:

U00.jpg

edit: I need this because, I have in the game transformed into Ukro-Romania (i will inform of the triggers and effects later).

Will be following, but am afraid I cannot help with the other business. Personally I think Wellington just proved why he isn't a politician, but I'm sure it is all for a good cause.

stynlan - I believe Wellington was actually quite a good politician, although not in the general sense; he didn't squirm or lie or the like, and was therefore not a very good politician at the same time. If i'm right i believe he often lost support when other politicians schemed and he just took it the soldier's way.

Part 1: 1836-40 ~ свобода нарешті

Freedom at last. But Freedom was not all it seemed; the Russians, although very friendly, still regarded the Ukranian heartlands as theirs, and soon enough, there was a challenge to Ukranian autonomy, when in early 1837 Austria, declared war on the newly formed nation, hoping to regain Galicia. Quickly the recently raised reserves were mobilized, and to our surprise, Russia agreed to our desperately hopeful alliance offer.

Austria pushed deep into the Ukraine, regaining all of Galicia, when we were able to mobilize 50,000 men and push them back slightly. With the help of Russian cavalry, artillery, and men, they were pushed back out of Ukraine, and into central hungary. Earlier we had wanted indemnities as the price of the destructive war, but later we settled for a two province gain for both us and Russia in August 1839, seeing the destruction the war was wreaking on our fragile and unindustrial economy.

While war exhaustion receded, tarriffs were raised to 100% and taxes to 50% for all classes. This brought in enough money to stabilize the economy and go for industrialization. Education was brought in as much as possible, with many new primary and secondary schools being built across the nation. The aim was to increase literacy to 100% by 1870, but there were big doubts about the possibility of this. However this did provide large amounts of money for government research agencies, which were largely fixed on industry.

The years of 1839 and 1840 passed largely without any important events although the 2nd Oriental crisis was still raging, with Britain giving military support to the Ottomans.

Great idea. A Ukraine AAR. I think is a first in AArland. But pardon me, for saying that I detest the British influence in the liberation of Ukraine. They are already too powerful in the early part of the game and to give them further credit just frustates me!!

Something of a baptism of fire for Ukraine, but that which does not kill...

Quite interesting! We could always use a good Ukraine AAR. :cool:

Probably a wise move to befriend the bear, at least until you are large enough to challenge...with some other good friends, I should hope. At least until then, you can use Russian might to eat up some of your neighbors as you did with Austria.

Can't help you with the flag, but you might check the mod area of Vickie. They have lot's of flags already done and ready to use that might help you.

prussiablue - As a Brit myself, i cannot help but give them as much credit as physically possible :rolleyes:

Part 2: 1840 -45 ~ старатися в напрямку до світло

In these early days, there was little porfit seen in the Ukrainian parliament, and with police off the streets and an almost non-existent army, crime was at an all time high. However people were not eager to revolt against the government as it was widely feared that Russia, although allies, would love to regain the rich agricultural and resource-laden Ukraine. The war with Austria had shown just how vulnerable they were to attacks from foreign powers.

In the years from 1837-40, many discoveries were made; they found vastly more efficient methods of extracting coal - a boon to the huge coal producing industries of the Crimea. They invented a basic railroad, something that was used to great effect, greatly increasing the amount of goods transported for export and therefore increasing the tax revenue. A final invention in late 1840 was a stock exchange, a building where anyone, from the lowest of the low to great businessmen could trade, buying and selling proportions of businesses and recieving good return. This also raised the taxes, which were at an all time high in late 1840.

France came to the Ukraine with the proposal of an alliance, a proposal which a small, weak country such as the Ukraine was bound to accept, especially as France had one of the biggest navies in the world, and an army worthy of mention also. With the protection of two powers, we felt safe to strive on with the industrial expansion already prevailing.

In early 1841, Sweden and Greece responded valiantly to a call for help from Montenegro, who had been invaded and were defenselessly annexed to the ailing Ottoman Empire. While Montenegro was ended, and Greece ignominously defeated, having had no support from Russia due to a failure of theirs to support her in her war against the Austrians. Therefore Sweden was left fighting alone, until peace was signed many years later.

In Northern Europe, the Northern powers had gone to war over Schleswig, with Prussia, Mecklenbrug and Hannover fighting Denmark and Russia. We joined this war on the side of Russia, just as Russia won a war against Persia, demanding border territory and War Indemnities. In January 1843, United Kingdom offered us a military alliance which we rushed to accept, meaning that Prussia was now at war with the two biggest military powers in the world. However when we offered them peace with no gains on either side they rejected, which would have worried us, but with the Royal Navy constantly patrolling the Baltic Sea, we saw now way in which they could reach us, save the long march across mainland Russia. We didn't mobilize, seeing the damage it would wreak upon our economy. July this year, Prussia accepted peace with Denmark and therefore the whole alliance, demanding the land of Schleswig.

In 1844, Both Britain and Russia guarantee our Independence, and the first Railway system begins to be put into place, with railways in railroads in Rostov and Kiev being built. Elsewhere in the world, Texas, after losing a war to Mexico, is annexed by the USA, Russia annexes Khiva and Bukkhara, and the beginnings of the Ukrainian Overseas Empire are envisaged as a colonial outpost is built in Buea. Our military alliance with Russia was renewed as we moved into 1845.

Last edited:
In hindsight, I may have over reacted. You are just doing what a true Brits will do. Good luck.

Sort of slow and steady, but that's what you have to do. You seem to have no end of friendlies willing to use you as a way to go to war with certain un-friendlies. And good to see that RR starting up. That will be most helpful. Any chance for a map screenie any time soon?

Slow, steady start, but as Ukraine you don't really have any other option I am guessing. Important for all of that. Nice that you have both Russia and the UK looking out for you - think of it dragging Britain into a Prussian war!

coz1 - I have screenies from about 1860, as I said I only started this AAR when I was in 1879 so I didn't think of getting too many screenies until I realised I was going to become a writAAR.

stynlan - I started off with 120 relations with UK and 80 or so relations with Russia and I think that was it, but they all seem to like me so its all good there.

prussiablue - yes.... yes, I am

Can I just ask, is there anyone who speaks Ukrainian on this forum who could check my Ukrainian? Thanks.

Part 3: 1845-50 ~ повільний підіймання

Sir Richard Price shoved open the door of the British Embassy roughly, shouting then mumbling the words, “S’anyone in? S’anyone in…” He then collapsed on the marble floor, blacking out almost instantly.

The Sergeant on guard dragged him in, comforting him as he cried drunkenly on his shoulder. Within seconds was he stopped by Colonel Wallace, an irate Scot, and British commander of the Kiev peacekeeping garrison.
“What in hell’s name is wrong with him?”
The Sergeant, a devout Methodist, replied with an entirely straight face,
“He’s… he’s ill Sir. Something in his food I suspect sir.”
“Well take him to bed then!” replied the Colonel, a gleam in his eye suggesting he did not entirely believe what the Sergeant had just told him
“Yes sir, good idea sir”
“You are dismissed Sergeant”

With that the Colonel strode off in a brisk manner, and the Sergeant continued to half-drag, half-carry Sir Richard to his bedroom.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

In early January 1846, there was a committee to set up a state of Poland, but the opportunity for Poland to arise was small, and due to Russia’s earlier release of the Ukraine, the World Community did not see too much gain in the release of Poland. In North America the Americans surprised the world by accepting the ‘49th degree’, but this was not largely unexpected in Kiev, as we believed the Americans, like the rest of the world, could see the British had huge military power, and supremacy both on land and at sea. Another crisis, this time in Europe, was also resolved due to British force, when the Sonderbund rebellion led to diplomatic clashes between Austria and Britain, however Austria also backed down.

In Prussia, the 8th planet, Neptune was discovered, but this discovery passed largely unnoticed in Ukraine where the main worry was still where the next meal was coming from; a still poor population struggled with poverty as the country slowly industrialized. However, they stayed loyal to the government, as they knew the taxation policies were far crueller than the 32% they now had to pay, plus 100% VAT. High society were please when we opened the first Kiev opera house on July 16, 1846, yet corruption now afflicted many of our provinces due to the measly law enforcement we could afford to provide.

Ukraine as a nation rejoiced as more trade and colonial outposts were formed in Benito, Accra, and Kribi, and capitalists and industrialists were ecstatic as new scientific and commercial advances gave them new ways to make money, and the country new parts to build yet more factories with. In late 1847 we made a diplomatic deal with Russia, establishing us our first proper colonial territory. At last we were a colonial power!

1848 began with 10 new railroads throughout the kingdom, US annexation of Texas as a state and US purchase of New Mexico from Mexico, which comes near to ruining them financially. The year came to an end with the discovery and invention of more advanced, efficient and expensive railroads, which we quickly instituted in important provinces.

1849 passed largely without importance, although in January the Schleswig crisis was relived, although now Denmark stood alone against Mecklenburg, Prussia, and Hanover. Surprisingly, in July, the Kaiser accepted the Crown of Germany, yet no territorial gains in Germany were made. The North German Federation was formed, with no states not joining.

Later this year the railroad expansion continued at its steady rate, and our limited knowledge of medicine was increased almost tenfold when basic standardised medicines began to be discovered, adapted and prescribed. A trade post in Calabar was built, and Italy erupted into war as the combined kingdom of Sardinia and Piemont declared war on Parma, to whoms aid came Modena, Lucca and the Papal States; the Pope himself calling a holy crusade upon the Sardinians, if not militarily then economically. Fortunately for the Sardinians, this advice was not heeded, although their status was considerably lowered in the eyes of the world. However, soon enough Spain and France, two major powers in the world at the time, came to Sardinia’s aid, forcing the Pope to think seriously about his nation’s existence.

Elsewhere in the world, the USA sent envoys to Japan, and we developed Organized Factories, whereupon there was a hierarchical status map in factories, as in the army, and this increased efficiency heavily.

The Ukraine stayed at peace between these years, quietly expanding industrially and colonially in Africa, steadily moving upwards towards the ranks of the Great Powers, mightily aspiring to be respected as an industrial or military giant; the age of Ukraine was dawning…

rule_brittania said:
The Ukraine stayed at peace between these years, quietly expanding industrially and colonially in Africa, steadily moving upwards towards the ranks of the Great Powers, mightily aspiring to be respected as an industrial or military giant; the age of Ukraine was dawning…
excellent, Ukraine rules! :cool:

subscribes

This is a rather good read.
Loving the little snippets of narrative.

Nothing less than No.1 Power will do by 1900. :D ;)

A nice little colony to show off it always good. Sounds like you are slowly improving.