• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

lordofthemark

Captain
Mar 16, 2005
(This AAR/alt history was originally posted in the form of multiple thread to the apolyton website - for the initial thread, with comments from others see:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132222 )

(note well, the nickname, lord of the mark, is well known at Apolyton, and so the title "don de la frontera" is something of an inside joke)

Don Enrique de la Frontera, (also called Don de la Frontera, or DDLF)(1) was Charles I's regent in Spain (although the lands of Aragon objected to sharing a regent with Castille, they had not rebelled since the ascent of Charles). While Charles' prolonged absence from the kingdom was a matter of some discontent, it was undoubtedly associated with Austrias many wars, and its growing power. (2) For Don Enrique, it was the chance to run the increasingly centralized Spanish state. But to what end? The Council of State was debating that, one chilly November day in 1540, at the palace in Toledo (not Madrid, please, Paradox)

More to come.

(1) Frontera = Frontier = March = Mark. Get it?
(2) Charles absence from Spain is historical, and this explains the game situation where you play as Spain but not Austria, even though you share a monarch.

"My lord regent", began Juan Velazquez, Archbishop of Toledo. "News comes daily from the north of the spread of the heresy begun by that worthless monk of Wittenberg. For twenty years it has spread and we have averted our eyes, hoping it would be stopped by local authority, as other heresies have in the past(1). Yet it has not, it has corrupted and taken over local authority, and a few years ago even so mighty a kingdom as England betrayed the true and universal church. Our soveriegn, the glorious Charles, is struggling with it in the Empire, yet we go not to his aid. When, my lord, shall we go?"

Don Enrique listened, and nodded. He then turned and recognized the young Duke of Sedonia.

"What his grace the Archbishop says is true, my lord, and yet there is much to this matter beyond his graces words. The arms of Spain have not been idle these last two decades. Rather they have struck for Spain and for Christ, in the lands beyond the sea. Roanoke, Savannah, Cuba, Jalisco, Yucatan, Cajamarca do these mean nothing? We have destroyed heathen kingdoms, planted churches, and brought the gospel to savages in city and forest. We have brought more souls to Christ than this Luther has turned from Mother Church. And yes, we have gained wealth and power, but is that to be denigrated? With all due honor to his majesty this struggle in Europe is not for a day. It took four hundred years to destroy the power of the Moorish infidel in our land - it was only finally crushed in the 1420's under King Juan(2). If as seems likely, heresy has gained a base in the north, we will need the gold and other wealth of America to defeat it. Even now our forces are at war in a place called Peru, and we must put our all into this noble crusade"

With growing anger the Archbishop rose "My lord, we may perhaps strike at the heretics BEFORE they grow strong. Can we rely on the Austrians to act for us? And what will they think of Spain if we do so? And besides the heretics, is there not also the threat of the Turks - who wish, without a doubt, to again try to assault Italy?"

"The Venetians have the Turks well in hand"

"They could use our help"

"Ha, they would turn on us as soon as they could, it is them we must be careful of - we must not strengthen Venice!!!"

"So!!! You would see Christians defeated by Moors, for the sake of your powermongering schemes?"

"By Christs blood, I have tasted battle against the heathens, while you sat in your cathedral and partook of feasts - were you not a priest I would take no such insults!!!!"(3)

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, we are brothers, are we not?" interjected the Don de la Frontera. We all want what is good for Spain AND for God's holy church. You have both said much that is useful for me to know, and I will consider your words carefully. But now let us adjourn, and dine, and let a new day perhaps give us new wisdom.(4)

(1) heresy was far from unknown in medieval Europe, but with exceptions like the Albigensians and Hussites, it was localized and put down by local authorities. The Archbishop is noting how Lutheranism is different.
(2) Of course in OTL (original time line) the reconquista was not completed till 1492 by Ferdinand and Isabella. This is the initial POD (point of divergence) for this timeline.
(3)The Duke would of course challenge anyone who insulted him to a duel. Since a priest can't duel, the insult from the Archbishop is particulalry galling.
(4) The DDLF dislikes namecalling and pointless squabbling, and prefers to reconcile different points of view. (note for paradox people - another Apolyton inside joke)

The regent announced his decision the next day. For the duration of the war in Peru, Spain would attempt to maintain peaceful relations in Europe, while sending his majesty expressions of support (IE as little money as possible) in his struggle in the empire, and and wishing Venice well in its defense against the Turks. (1) Charles was certainly displeased, but was not prepared to address the Spanish problem now. The Archbishop of Toledo was placed in charge of the missionizing efforts in Mexico and the Cherokee lands (it was whispered by some that the failure of the missions in Saltillo was due to his siphoning off of funds) While claiming that all resources were needed for the struggle to bring the gospel to the Inca peoples of Peru, Don Enrique was quietly planning on other developments as well - especially continued colonization efforts in Carolina and the Caribbean, administrative buildup in Mexico, and the possibility of industrial development in the lands of the crown of Aragon.

(1) Its was not uncommon for one part of Charles' "empire" to put its own interest above others. Each considered itself independent, and the sharing of a monarch as a mere coincidence. The amount Charles could extract for common military endeavours depended on the constitutional situation in each kingdom - IIRC, most in Castille, least in Aragon, intermediate in Italy. Taxes in Germany(HRE) could be used for defense against the Turk, and against heretics in Germany, but not necessarily elsewhere.

Spring 1556. Toledo, Spain

"Sire, I wish to offer my joy and delight at your coronation, and to offer my sword to you as a willing soldier in your service"

"Rise from your knees, Don Enrique" Phillip said with a sigh. "I've had as much ceremonial speech in the last week as any human being should be subject to. And IF I didnt want to retain you in my service, this kind of thing wouldnt help."

"Your Majesty ..." stammered Don Enrique, Don de la Frontera.

"You should already know from our past interactions, Don Enrique, that what I want from you first is your silence - I will listen, but at my own time"

DDLF nodded in silence.

"I have not ignored you, when I was at my fathers side in Italy and in Flanders. Even had I not intuited my fathers plans, my love for Spain would have kept my eye focused on what you have been doing. Now that he has abdicated, and I am king, I wish to review your actions, and discuss future plans"

Hesitantly, DDLF opened his mouth "Sire, you still require my counsel?"

Phillip, normally dour, laughed at this. "Yes, Don Enrique. You shall no longer bear the burden of executive responsbility, but your thoughts and advice will still be of use to me."

He went on "during the early years of your regency, you acted brilliantly - the conquest of Mexico and much of North America are deeds that will resonate to the glory of Spain for all time. However it is your actions since 1540 that require explanation.

In 1540 you opposed Spanish intervention in central Europe, and persisted with your war in Peru, which dragged on for another six years before it failed. For the next 6 years, you left Peru at peace, and yet did nothing in Europe. And now you are at war with Peru AGAIN. You seem a stubborn man, Don Enrique. In that you are much like me - but perhaps I need advisors who are more flexible, more willing to learn from mistakes, to balance my own inclinations. And now I have inherited not just the lands of the crowns of Castille, Leon, and Aragon, but also Lombardy and Mantua, and Flanders and Brabant. Indeed I inherit Burgundian claims to the rest of the low countries, now held by Gelre, and to Franche Comte, held by Helvetia. And both those powers, I note, tolerate the new Calvinist heresy. I would like to see the destruction of both. And ultimately deal with England, that nest of heresy. Yet you have argued, persuasively, i might add, for leaving heresy alone in Europe - and yet heresy has grown. How do you explain yourself?"

"Sire, I thank your majesty for the opportunity to explain my actions.

"When we went to war with the Inca Empire, with Peru, our leaders were Hernan de Cortes and Francisco Pizzaro, men of excellence, whose knowledge of American matters, of military affairs, and whose undaunted courage made them well nigh irreplaceable. By a stroke of misfortune, they both died in 1540 in Peru, to our grief. We still made progress in the war, but at great cost - rebellions among the subjects, exhausted by war, broke out in Bearn, in Sardinia, and most especially in the heathen provinces of America. Meanwhile war had delayed reform in our army which was falling behind Europe, especially France and Austria.(1) Our administrative development was delayed. So it seemed clear a breather was needed by this kingdom. It took time to beat the stubborn heathen enough to see reason. The final treaty, which ceded us 3 provinces and the entire Inca treasury, was, if not a great victory, certainly no failure.

Once peace was reached, and the rebellions suppressed, we proceeded to the development of the kingdom. I know you are aware of some of this, but I will fill you in on some details.

We expanded the tax collection system to the wealthier new world provinces, increasing royal revenues. Here in Spain, we have created a new system of royal courts -that has been established in the largest provinces in both the crowns of Castille and Aragon"

"That was a neat trick Don Enrique, getting the lands of Aragon to accept a common administration with Castille"(2)

"Thank you your majesty - that has always been the guiding vision of my regency, to press for governmental centralization, even when this cost short term instability and rebellion. We have done this in the face of war, and of the inevitiable decentralization that has come with the new conquests, but it has been my goal to continue on this path"

"Very well, go on - you spoke of courts"

"Yes, your majesty. The next step administratively is to consolidate provincial governance under a system of governors who will be centrally appointed, and will rotate after a term of years, and who will coordinate taxes, justice, and local services"

"like the intendants of France?"(3)

"More or less your majesty, although we will attempt to follow Spanish legal precedents. That is what my staff is currently researching - again, no easy feat as we attempt to do design it so that it will meet our administrive needs without doing more than necessary violence to all the local traditions"(4)

"Including in the lands of Aragon?"

"Yes, including in the lands of Aragon."

"How long?"

Don Enrique frowned. "At this point at least 20 years till we appoint the first governor. It could be accelerated with more money though"

"And where might you get more money, my lord?"

"We expect the new tax collecting system to bring in more money from America. Trade continues to grow in Seville, and in America, and we tax that. Our specie shipments from America grow, but that has created inflation. And we expect to improve the efficiency of the American provinces as the heathen become Christians, and fit better into our social system, and become less rebellious"

(1) We were at like 5, while France was at 11.
(2) Indeed, Aragon and Catalonia jealously guarded their independence throught the 16th and 17th century, not losing it till the Bourbon inheritance. In this TL Don Enrique has managed to overcome this by his commitment to moving the "centralization slider" to the right, and his good management of "stability hits". I would suggest for a Spain being played as decentralized, RP would require a house rule of keeping Aragon administratively distinct from Castille.
(3) actually I think we might be a tad early for intendants in France, at least in OTL.
(4) IIUC, this is what central administrators spent a lot of time doing, at least in places like France that were commited to advancing centralization. Seems a good real world interpretation of the game mechanic of investments in "infrastructure technology"

" Yes, Don Enrique, I have noted your progress in the conversion of the heathen. It has gone better in recent years, has it not?"

"Yes, your majesty. It has improved since we assigned that task to the Franciscan order"(1)

"It had previously been run by the Archbishop of Toledo, no? There were problems then? And then the Archbishop died of a stomach ailment, did he not? He had never suffered from stomach ailments before if I remember correctly. Odd." (2)

Quietly, Don Enrique responded "Perhaps it is as the common people say - he was stealing funds meant for the holy church, and was striken down by God for his sins"(3)

"Ah" smiled King Phillip. "The common people. Wherever DO they get such ideas? There is more to you then meets the eye, Don Enrique" (4)

(1) IIRC there were changes from time to time in OTL in which part of the Spanish church was responsible for missions. The Franciscans eventually getting California. I think the OTL history is much more complex on this than I have shown.
(2) King Phillip II ain't a doctor, but one thing he ISN'T is naive.
(3) In this instance, had the good Archbishop employed a food taster, the workings of God's providence might have been delayed.
(4) Indeed, there is.

"The military improvements have gone well, your majesty. We have improved the army's organization, learned to make arquebuses and siege cannon, and trained the army in new tactics to take advantage of the new weapons. (1) We now have a respectable European army, though we have a way to go to catch up to France and Austria (2)

We are using the new arms and tactic in the current war with the Inca, which is going more rapidly as a result. We have three of their strong places under siege. While it is true they have an army of almost 40,000 just to the south, our troops can gather and hold them off if they attempt to relieve any of the sieges. Meanwhile we have further armies on the way, that should put us in a good situation to defeat the main Inca army.

Meanwhile we can quickly get into position to at least defend your majesty's Italian and Burgundian inheritances. We have a military access agreement with Genoa which will ease troop movement to Lombardy. We can reach Flanders by sea, and our naval position is strong."

"And what then Don Enrique, what do we do AFTER the Inca war is over. I think we need to address the priorities of war in Europe, whom to attack when, and how. Im not sure what you would call such a plan, Don"

"Grand Strategy, your majesty?"

"Yes, that will do. We need a grand strategy for Phillip II."(3)

(1) That is we've reached tech 9
(2) They're at tech 12
(3)http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-0525011-1689760?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

[OOC: this was posted after someone on Poly said i should assault the indians, rather than siege them]

summer, 1559, Toledo.

Present: Don Enrique, special counselor to the king. (DDLF)
Duke of Sidonia, Chief Constable of Castille
Don Gonzago, Aide to the Duke of Sidonia

DDLF to Duke: Francis, its so good to see you again - you're back from Roussilon - is the army ready to take on the rebels in Bearn?
Duke: Yes, Enrique, it wont be easy, but the siege will be broken, i have no doubt.
DDLF: Good. I dont fear all these rebellions. The forces in Mexico will deal with the rebellion there, and then we only have the one left in Chimu. I see no reason to settle for anything less than full conquest of Peru - we can handle the rebellions.
Duke: Enrique, my aide, Don Gonzago, has some ideas that he thinks will shorten the war against Peru.
DDLF: Very well, speak up, Don Gonzago
Don Gon: My lord, as you know we have instituted new tactics and procedures in the army, these last 10 years.
DDLF: yes, that has gone well, and we now see the fruit
Don Gon: There is one new approach to war we have not yet used. That is to use our new infantry tactics and discipline to directly assault a besieged city. I suggest we try that in Peru.
DDLF:I have heard of such techniques, but is it not costly of mens lives? Spain has manpower in reserve, but to use the money to train them would detract from everything else we wish to do - and we cant afford to diminish the army, not with things in Europe heating up.
Don Gon: Those great costs are when launching an assault against a well fortified city, manned by strong forces. The cities in Peru are barely fortified, and our infantry is much better trained then the primitive heathen. I think casualties need not be that high.
DDDLF: Is it not true that our sieging armies include many cavalry, and these are not suitable
Duke: It is true, Enrique, but we have been bringing more infantry down as the war has settled into sieges. While it will be difficult reorganizing the besieging forces, the situation is doable.
DDLF: I would advise that we start with one of the cities, and attempt this new tactic. Where would be suitable, Francis?
Duke: Potosi is not heavily manned, and our forces there would be well able to manage this.
DDLF: I agree.
Duke: Good. While I could have ordered this on my own authority, I wanted to discuss it with you, as you have had such a huge role in all the army reforms and improvements.
DDLF: Vaya con dios, my friend.

Grand Strategy of Phillip II

Late summer, 1559. The Royal Palace, Toledo.

Present:
King Phillip the Second
Don Enrique, Don de la Frontera, Special counsel to the king.

DDLF: Your majesty, with victory within sight in Peru, we should begin planning for European expansion.

King: At last, Don Enrique. I am glad to hear of victory in Peru, and that we are at last turning to the problem of heresy in Europe. Why these blasphemous Calvinists are even a problem in Bearn - we must crush them, and then destroy their inciters in the low countries.

DDLF: Ah, sire, of course we shall be dealing with Bearn. Even as we speak an army marches there, and yes, we shall follow that up with a mission to restore them to the Universal Catholic Church. However I do not think Gelre should be our priority.

Phillip, angry: NO? What should be then, if not that swamp of heresy?

DDLF: Italy, your majesty. It is closer, and easier to bring troops too. It is richer, and being Catholic, will be easier to control and extract revenues from. After we have consolidated our position there we can then turn north. As for Gelre, the situation there is confused. While the people are mainly Calvinist, the government is Lutheran. I suspect that will lead to instability, which we may yet take advantage of.

King: Well, I am not so well versed in the varieties of heresy. I just wish to see it crushed, and not to constantly defer that happy event. But I can respond to you on the question of "grand strategy". Italy will not be so easy as you say - you omit the question of diplomacy, and alliances - this grand strategy you speak of is not all armies and ducats, I think. Where would we expand in Italy? Italy, apart from my own lands, is subject, either directly or via vassalage, to the Pope, and the two Republics - Genoa and Venice. Genoa, though not our ally, is our old friend, and the path by which we reach our Italian possesions from the sea. I would be loathe to turn them aside. I do hope you are not suggesting we take on the Papal States. Venice is a power many here have spoken against - they are not friendly to Spanish interests it is said, and they have done nothing against the heretics themselves - indeed they are now at war with the Papal States, and we could, I suppose, attempt to join that war. On the other hand, I cannot forget that they are still the guard at Europes door against the Turk - while the Turks are weakened now, i fear complacency about them. Attack Gelre, however, and it fits all our diplomatic needs, and gives us an expanded base for dealing with England, and her newly risen bastard-queen.

Background info

Bio on DDLF.

He was born in 1498, and so is actually 2 years older than Charles the First (and Fifth) He started in royal service as a teenager, under Ferdinand. He attempts to follow the pragmatism, modernism, and Spanish nationalism of Ferdinand. He held numerous offices, both military and civil, and became regent of Spain in 1534. He is now 61, so going from regent to advisor fits his personal goals - he's too worn out to play chief executive officer now. He has a son, Don Pedro (which will account for the DDLF going on royal advisor indefinitely)

1565, Seville, Spain. Present, Don Enrique, DDLF. Don Pedro, his son.

DDLF: My son, welcome home. You are now a mature man - I am glad, for I am feeling my age.
DP: My father, i shall do all i can to help you.
DDLF: that is good my son. I shall need it, before i retire from the kings service. You have excelled, as soldier, as governor, as Viceroy in Mexico. Now you are to be on the Council of State.
DP: I bring many ideas on American affairs, but I know less of Europe, and the council will have to address that seriously now.
DDLF: I will let you know some things, but there is much still to be decided.

DP: The rebellion was easily defeated in Mexico, but I cannot say the same for the other rebellions - in Tennessee and the two mountain provinces in South America. Who thought the Cherokee rebels would be so tough? Crushing that will take longer, and a larger army - which means it will take longer to send troops south to Peru. However I agreed with the decision to bypass the South American rebels and send force from Mexico straight on to Peru. The new assault technique worked in Potosi, but at the cost of 800 soldiers killed - if we are to do more of that, we will need more infantry. I hope to see the main Inca army destroyed - the battles we have fought against it have reduced it to 20,000 men, and it is cut off from the surviving Inca provinces. But I am here not to join the Council of the Americas father, but the Council of State. For that I need a better understanding of the Flemish rebellion, and the situation in Italy.
DDLF: well, the first Flemish rebellion was two years ago - some say it was connected to the war in Peru - though that makes no sense to me, as we recruited NO flemish troops for South America, and had not increased taxes, and Im not sure what other reason there would be for Flemish burghers to care about the Incas. I think it had more to do with their general discontent with Spanish rule - I am old enough to remember when the king's father, Charles was crowned, how much discontent there was in Castille at the dominance of his Flemish advisors - with the rise of his Majesty Phillip, the Flemings must adjust to foreign rule. And I think the Calvinist heresy is also implicated - the Catholic provinces, like Brabant and Artois stayed loyal. Indeed they supplied most of the troops who crushed that rebellion.

The more recent one is the result of a rising of nobles and other interests in Flanders, attempting to avoid paying taxes for the common defense of the realm. While it might have been possible to defuse this with concessions and bribes, we simply could not afford this in wartime, with our treasury almost bare, nor could we afford the demonstration effect on other provinces. The viceroy, with my support, refused concessions. Indeed we confiscated much of the wealth of the rebel leaders, which we have used to fund the missions in Tallahassee province, which I know you are intimately familiar with. As you may know our standing army outside Antwerp was defeated and withdrew to Brabant, and the city is now under siege. We have built up an army of loyal forces in Brabant, including the defeated troops, and we are sending over 9,000 men from Spain under the Duke of Alba. We MUST crush that rebellion before we consider any further moves in Europe. I myself am reluctant to annex any more heretic provinces at this time, but the king presses for it.

As for Italy, the situation there is evolving. We have improved our relations with the Pope. Venice made peace with his holiness, fought a war with his majesty's Austrian cousins, and now is at war with the Turks in alliance with Genoa. The Turkish war, and the Genoese alliance, make it very difficult to move against Venice, though she holds some tempting provinces in central Italy. I am leaning toward a guarantee of the Papal States, and a military access agreement. Beyond that I dont know what we can do.

Started reading, looks good. I'll catch up to your point and keep reading.

Looks good and welcome to AARland.

November 1570. Escorial Palace, Madrid.

Present: Don Pedro, Don de la Frontera, (son of Don Enrique)
Phillip II, King of Spain (1)

DDLF: Your majesty, you asked to see me?
KP: Yes, Don Pedro. Although i usually prefer written communication, today it is not your recommendation as secretary of the Council of Finance that I seek, but your general advice on the realm. I know that you have extensive experience of the Americas, and like your father, much wisdom on political affairs generally. By the way, my condolences on your father's death - he was a good friend, and a great Spaniard.
DDLF: Gracias, your majesty.
KP: What do you think of our position now, Don Pedro? We are at peace these last 5 years. I understand much has been done for the kingdom, but I wonder if we are adequately using our might.
DDLF: I understand that your majesty is unhappy that we have not addressed the problem of Gelre, who control provinces that belonged to your Burgundian ancestors, and who shelter heresy. But we should think carefully before getting involved there. All Europe is at peace now - all build to prepare, perhaps, for future conflict. For us to engage in war now could be quite dangerous. The Duke of Alba has his hands full in the Flemish provinces we already hold - hardly a season goes by that we do not hear from the north of a rebellion in Flanders, or Artois, or Luxembourg.
KP: what do you make of Cardinal Graneville's suggesting to send more troops from Milan to Flanders, and to send Parma to the New World.
DDLF: I heartily agree with it, your majesty. Milan and Mantua are quiet, and additional troops could easily be raised there in an emergency. Meanwhile there is no threat there. Unless France should look in that direction.
As for Parma to America, i like that very much, I have some thoughts on that.
KP: What do you say to those who say that we should ally with France against the heretics?
DDLF: I would certainly talk to the French, and explore common ground. But I would not expect much to come of that, I do not think the French will put their faith above their fear of your majesty's family. Also, they continue to poke around America, and I think at SOME point we will need to deal with that - but not now, for now we should remain at peace.
KP: you spoke before of America - you suggest Parma lead a new war against Peru?
DDLF: No, your majesty - though my father was associated with the Peruvian wars, I do not suggest that. The large number of pagan provinces contributes to the difficulty of ruling this realm, drawing off as it does so many soldiers and administrators in an effort to control people who, though "conquered" barely acknowledge our rule. No, I suggest that we launch a massive effort to convert the many pagan provinces to Catholicism. This would ease our administration, integrate our empire, expand our resources...
KP: And honour almighty God, whose support we will need in any war!!!!
DDLF: Certainly, your majesty. But this will require strong forces, as serious missonary efforts will often trigger native revolts - that is why I want Parma there. We should also gradually increase the number of troops there, both by sending some from Europe (as some went with Parma) and by raising troops in America. We must also be prepared for frustration - these efforts dont always succeed.
KP: You will find me a man strong in persistence and perserverance.

(1) actually king of Aragon, Castille, Leon, The Netherlands, Naples, Sicily, and Milan. Which would be confusing, especially as he owns only the southern half of the Netherlands, and in other ways his current ownership doesnt map precisely to his titles.

November 1570

Letter from the King to Don Pedro, DDLF, Secretary of the Council of Finance.

Don Pedro,

Could you please review for me the principle expenditures, other than raising and supporting armies and fleets, over the last several years - not a detailed breakdown with numbers (my head splits at those, and thats not what i need now) but more a general sense of where our resources have been going.

King Phillip

Letter from Don Pedro, DDLF, Sec of the Council of Finance, to King Phillip.

Your Majesty

The montly revenues have been going primarily to the project to develop a new administrative system, based on provincial governors. We have discussed this effort with you in more detail in the past. The effort is expected to improve provincial administration and economic productivity generally, in conjunction with expenditures on physical "infrastructure" . We are also spending on improved support for trade, which will enable us to gain more complete control over the trade centers in Seville, Antwerp, and Zacatecas. We are also spending on military and naval improvements, though my understanding is that the Council of State wants to reduce expenditures on army reforms and focus instead on naval reforms, as we lag far behind the English in particular. We are also spending on subsidies of various sorts to local groups and leaders, to maintain the peace of the realm, though again my understanding is the Council of State wishes to end that expenditure.

The annual census revenues are being used principally to expand the new judicial system. We now have it in about two thirds of the provinces in Spain, in all the major provinces in Flanders and Italy. We are currently expanding it in Luxembourg and in Navarre. We have recently paid for an expedition of additional colonists to the existing colony at Mobile.
As you know the conversion attempt at Tallahassee failed, and there is a large scale mission underway at Savannah. We will be attempting to scale down invesment in the judicial system in order to save money for another mission, to be sent whereever the Council for the Americas determines.

Don Pedro.

Whither Spain? Problems and Solutions

The next section was really a request for suggestions, etc, but was put in character, as a memo. For the full discussion on the thread see:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134776

1628. Escorial Palace Madrid. Circular from Don Jorge, Don de la Frontera. Comments appreciated.

Problem: Inflation 60% a year.
Solution: Fund governors as priority. Also no urgency to recapturing Potosi (which recently rebelled - our troops were busy handling other rebellions in South America, and it went to the Incas before we could siege it). Limit minting.
Problem: Military tech lag - we are two techs behind the leading tech in both land and naval tech.
Solution: Direct all tech spending to military. Minimal spending on stability, limit minting.
Problem:Extensive pagan populations in new world, which limits funds (due to off religion and off culture) heightened revolt risk, and increased stability costs
Solution: Send missionaries as funds allow - but keep priorities on governors (lower inflation will mean lower conversion costs)
Problem: Austria. Now the largest rival power, controls all Germany except the far north, only real threat to Spanish power.
Potential Solution: Preemptive war
Potential Solution: Maintain current alliance system. France is diplomatically isolated, Britain has only a handful of small weak Protestant states. The alliance of Spain, Portugal, Papal States and Austria assures our security. Meanwhile Austria is hobbled by revolts, its many Reform and Protestant provinces. DO improve our military position meanwhile (see above - on military tech)
Problem: lack of financial resources. Not enough money to research, build governors, convert provinces, colonize, build troops, extend diplo offers, etc.
Solution: Iron discipline. For the time being : Keep research to military only, as above. No more colonization except on Caribbean Islands. No new ships. No new troops except infantry, and that very selectively. Keep missionaries to no more than one every three years or so. Focus on Governors.
Problem: DP sliders. Midway on Centralization. Slightly to the left on Aristocracy. All the way to Narrowmindedness.
Solution: Focus on shift to Plutocracy.

Whither Spain?: The relief of Milan

Late Spring, 1654. A hill, several miles east of the city of Milan, province of Lombardy.

Even as he focused on the precarius battle below, Colonel Rodriguez reflected on the odd twists of fate that had placed him, a mere colonel, a commoner, and a lifetime soldier, in command of what was, at least temporarily, Spain's premier army, a force of over 45,000 men, including 3000 cavalry.

Leadership

Leaders. Spain was short of leaders. That was what the Duke of Olivares had said (1). He had been reprimanded for saying so by the Don de la Frontera, who suggested that at a time when he was pushing further centralization of the Spanish govt, it was particularly awkward to make statements that alienated the high nobility. (2)

And it wasnt just a question of the nobility, but of military leadership. In the aftermath of the English wars, no great military leaders had arisen in Spain. The constable, under the direction of the DDLF, had refused to give promotions to general or admiral in the absence of outstanding leadership.

The Colonel

This hadnt bothered Col. Rodriguez. He wasnt the political sort who could easily wangle a generalship anyway. He was a hardbitten Castillian soldier, a man who had risen through the ranks of the Tercios, an old infantryman. Most of his service had been in America. While he had fought in Italy during the rebellions of 1640, after that he had gone to America for the rest of the English war. When that was triumphantly concluded, he had served with valour in the crushing of the many rebellions. The outbreak of the war with Turkey had found him home in Castille, and (with his Italian experience) he was quickly dispatched to take command of the relatively small force in Mantua. That was expected to be a minor command, as the war with Turkey was expected to be primarily naval, with perhaps raids on Libya. It would be Austria (who had dragged Spain into this unwanted war) who would bear the brunt of land fighting. He had been specifically told to keep his force IN northern Italy, and NOT to respond to Austrian requests for help in the Balkans, not without explicit consent from Madrid.

How the war began

Then had come the war with France. The Austrian DOW on Verona had taken Madrid by surprise, the rumors said. War with Verona meant war with France. Spain had been watching France nervously for years and had expanded the army in Europe, but had never quite caught up to France. Now whose fault was THAT? The Don de la Frontera's, without a doubt. The DDLF was a man of peace, who much preferred to invest in his administrative and colonial schemes, keeping only as much of an army as he thought necessary to deter war. Well, even great men, from ancient families, can make mistakes (3). Still, to betray the alliance with Austria, Portugal, and the Papacy would shake Spain's European policy to its foundations. If Spain's arms could hold the French off, Spain's economy would make possible a military expansion that would ultimately lead to victory. Thus, the battle was joined.

Preparations

The French had initiated the war with two big moves. They had executed a complex series of maneuvers in the north, culminating in an attack on Artois, as well as raids into Lorraine and Franche Comte. And they had steadily gathered their forces in the south for an assault on Lombardy. With a force of over 50,000 headed eastward, Madrid had sent Rodriguez instructions to raise several thousand new troops, but his initial force of less than 10,000 was told to hold in Mantua, and not advance into Lombardy.

Milan had the strongest fortifications in the Spanish empire. Some said there were no stronger fortifications anywhere in the world. The French, under the Prince of Conde, were unlikely to leave a fortress like that in their rear. That meant a siege, probably a long siege. Rodriguez's instructions were to hold, to train and develop his army, including new local recruits, and to await reinforcements. The Colonel obeyed, and sent messages to the commanders in Sienna and Naples, to coordinate plans.

There were few more distressing days in the Colonel's life then when the messengers returned, and informed him that Naples had fallen to Veronese assault, and that the small Spanish force in Sienna had been annihilated by Veronese troops, who were now besieging the city. He immediately sent word to Madrid asking for new instructions - he tried to veil his shock and anger.

Madrid's reply was elaborate and sympathetic, yet did not entirely calm him. He received it shortly after receiving word that the French besieging force at Milan had grown to almost 100,000 troops, mainly cavalry!!!!.
Madrid informed him that a new force was assembling in (papal) Apulia. It would include new troops being raised in Sicily, the survivors from Naples, and troops gathered from around the Med islands (usually that would be small, but 5,000 troops earmarked for Libya had been diverted to Italy). When this force was large enough it would move north, and would bypass Naples (for now) and attempt to relieve Sienna. Thought had been given to besieging Verona, but it appeared that the Papal troops (heretofore ineffective) were likely to take the lead there, under Austrian leadership.

Meanwhile, according to Madrid, he should not think that France was being left unmolested on other fronts. The battle in Artois had been won, and the forces in Belgium were playing a game of maneuver, raid, and counter raid, with the slightly superior French forces in the North. Meanwhile the Spanish assault on southern France was being expanded and reorganized. With the capture of French Jamaica, forces were also on the way from the new world to reinforce the position in Europe. Austria, unfortunately, was focusing on Turkey.

Operations

The colonel kept in steady touch with the commander in Apulia, Colonel Fuentes. As the winter advanced Milan held, and the forces in Mantua grew toward 18,000. Still far to few to even think of throwing against the french, even as their army suffered from illness and desertion in it massive siege lines outside Milan. Fuentes' force thus became more crucial. The colonel was very pleased, therefore, when Fuentes began his march up the peninsula with 24,000 men, and word came that others were behind him in Sicily.

Now the Colonel was an aggressive soldier and had floated two further ideas -one being to attack the French province of Emilia, the other to join Fuentes in the relief of Sienna. The first was definitively vetoed by Madrid, who did NOT want a field battle against French troops now. Milan was holding, and as long as it did, French troops were attritting away. And other things were brewing, or so Madrid promised. As to Sienna, Madrid suggested waiting until Fuentes was closer, but approved planning for the operation.

Fuentes was in Rome, and Col. Rodruiguez was preparing to move when the ill news was recieved that Sienna had fallen to the Veronese. Madrid, said not to worry. Fuentes would instead be dispatched directly to Mantua. The papal and Austrian forces had finally smothered the March, and the lost provinces could be dealt with later. In fact it was feared that a retaking them might tempt Austria to open peace negotiations too soon. Also, things had gone well enough in the north, that 5000 troops had been dispatched over the Alps and would be arriving in Mantua shortly.

Meetings

Col Rodriguez embraced Fuentes when he arrived in Mantua. Word had come from Milan that losses were severe, and that the city could NOT hold out indefinitely. Though he had not heard from Madrid in some time, he was sure that a relief expedition would now be launched. There were over 45,000 troops in Mantua, just larger than the depleted French force in Lombardy, though the French had many more cavalry, and the experienced Prince of Conde at their head. The Colonel asked Fuentes if he had directions to begin the relief, and what orders he wished to give. Fuentes had responded "what, you havent received word from Madrid?" "nothing for weeks" "the message must not have gotten through then - they have asked you to take command, not me - they are evidently very pleased with how you have managed the build up of forces here - but yes, they want an immediate relief expedition - Milan must NOT fall - even if it means the sacrifice of our army to weaken the French." The colonel was more shocked then delighted, and immediately set to work.

Notes

(1) He actually did say it in OTL. Though in OTL he was Count Duke Olivares. And in OTL he was the dominant figure in the Spanish govt for a couple of decades. In this TL the Don de la Frontera is (as usual) the preeminent figure in the govt, though Olivares is still quite influential.
(2) The irony here is that Olivares, in OTL, had struggled to centralize the govt of Spain, and had failed dismally. In this Timeline, the DDLF has largely succeeded - but then there have been many differences that made this possible, in particular the much longer period of "rational" central leadership, and the long peace in the late 16th century.
(3) While the DDLFs seem ancient to Rodriguez, since they have dominated the spanish state for 120 years, they are still looked down on by some Spanish magnates. In fact they were quite obscure before the rise of King Ferdinand, and it is rumored that they even had some converso blood.

Last edited:
Whither Spain? The Relief of Milan

Battle

Col Rodriguez paced nervously on the hilltop. He was not used to commanding a battle from such a distance - he was the sort of officer who liked to be right in there amidst the ranks leading the soldiers forward. But with an army of 45,000 it would be folly to lead from the front. Not to mention that his battle plan required a good overview of the battle, so as to best utilize his reserves.

He had placed his staunch Mantuans on the left. A body of Spanish troops (who had been stationed in Italy and the islands) held the center. The south Italians, under Fuentes, were on the right. They were strong troops, but he hadn't trained them personally, and they had to be considered the ones to worry about most in a long battle. He held the 5000 experienced Spanish troops who had come down from Franche Comte in reserve. Along with his 3000 cavalry.

He had marched the troops forward on the road to Lombardy. If the French didn't engage, he would continue to their siege lines where his infantry would be at an advantage. But he expected they would come out when they heard he was moving. A battle in the plains was to their advantage. Also he had several thousand more troops on the way north from central Italy, and the French had no way of knowing how far they were. They would want to crush him before further reinforcements came up. When he encountered the French vanguard, he set his men out, and took up his position on the hill.

The French wasted no time. While their infantry engaged the Spaniards in the center, their well trained cavalry hit the Italians on each flank with charge after charge. The pikemen held, and the musketeers took a terrible toll of the French cavalry. Rodriguez wished his troops had the bayonets the Austrians were rumored to use, but well, Spain was technologically behind and there was nothing he could do about that.

As the day wore on the French horsemen continued their brave charges. One charge on the right (on the Sicilians) had left its flank sloppily exposed on the open ground - the Colonel had the cavalry charge at that moment - the sabre wielding Spaniards were making mincemeat of the French chevaliers, in a swirling battle, until yet another regiment of French horse come on, and massacred the Spaniards. Seeing this, the Sicilian infantry began to break. There was no choice but to commit the reserve, who went in grimly, as they had on so many fields of battle around the globe. This stabilized the right for a little while. Meanwhile the left was under pressure - the colonel's own Mantuans. They were very tough and well trained, but were steadily losing men - it was no longer a question of gaps in the ranks, but whole ranks missing. They gave ground slowly. which, unfortunately, left a gap between them and the Spaniards on their right - a gap quickly exploited by the French cavalry. Soon the Spaniards were giving ground as well. The French then turned on the Sicilians on the right - who were soon surrounded. Few who were on the right wing lived to tell the tale - and Col Fuentes was NOT among the survivors.

At this point Col. Rodriguez had no choice but to retreat, and save the remnant of his army, which was in disarray any way. He could only hope the French had been too weakened to maintain an effective siege. And that reinforcements would come soon.

Scouts

The next morning the colonel sent for Captain Javier Lopez (hereinafter JLo) The colonel had managed to gather up the remnants of his army which had retreated to Mantua in more or less good order - reports from officers, totaled up, indicated barely 10,000 effectives reporting for duty - less than one - quarter of the original force. A disaster indeed. OTOH he knew the French had been hurt as well, though he didn't know how badly. He also didn't know if they had continued the siege or not. If they had too few to continue the siege, the ever aggressive Prince of Conde might well decide a better use for his army would be to pursue into Mantua, to destroy what was left of the Colonels army, and to pillage the province. He HAD to know where the French were and what they were doing. So he gathered up the pitiful remnant of the Spanish horsemen, as a scouting party, and assigned JLo to lead it.

JLo led the scouts up the road toward Milan. They brought along a Mantuan merchant, who knew some back roads in case they needed to leave the main road quickly.

They found no sign of the French anywhere. They arrived at the scene of the previous days battle. The corpses of thousands of Spaniars lay rotting - horrible, but no surprise. What was more odd was that there seemed to be a few French corpses unburied as well, despite evident mass graves. Apparently the field had been left hastily.

They proceeded further - they saw the detritus left behind by the French army, but no French troops. Suddenly a smile broke on JLo's face. "Something brewing" the Colonel had said. JLo was enough of a strategic thinker to put two and two together....

Finally they approached the siege lines outside Milan. No Frenchmen, and little of the encampment they would have expected - a few tents left, scattered supplies, all artillery gone, fires smoldering throughout the camp, as if someone had prepared breakfast and quickly fled. Then from one of the scouts... "Capitan, horsemen from up the road!!!" "Draw sabres!!!!" But no, these men did not ride like trained French Cavalry. They rode like, well, townsmen. Wearing rusty armor, riding nags. One holding the banner of the City of Milan.

"Halt! Who are you?" Jlo cried in Italian. On hearing his thick Spanish accent the approaching horsemen smiled.

"We are sent by the town council of Milan. The French have left"

"When? When??" Jlo asked urgently

"They headed east as if for battle yesterday morning. About half came back last night, slept briefly, and gathered up their camp and artillery before dawn. You have missed their departure by only a few hours"

"Which way??"

"West - the road towards Piedmont"

"Garcia, come here - take a message to the Colonel - tell him the French have departed West as of this morning, and have about half the force they started with - that would be about 25000 troops. Tell him i have dispatched scouts to watch the western road, in case they should head back. " He turned to the Milanese - "You will need food, yes?" "Actually, senor, we were coming out to scavenge whatever food we could find in the camp. Conditions in the city are very bad, senor. We could try to forage, but the province has been worked over for some time. " "Garcia, also tell the colonel we need food and medicine here quickly" "Shall I ask him to send troops?" "No, that is for the colonel to decide - I doubt he will though, until we have a clearer picture of what is happening - oh, and tell him to send an officer to releive me, so that i may inform him personally of what I have seen" Jlo very much wanted to find out it was that was brewing that had caused this seemingly miraculous occurence.

Whither Spain? The Relief of Milan

Mantua. late spring 1654.

"Captain, the siege is definitely broken then. We have sent food and medicine, and equipment to repair the walls, and a few men to help man them, in case the French should return. "

"So colonel, what has happened that they turned away, and will they come back?"

"Not soon I think. They have a Spanish army of 20,000 men in their rear, approaching Lyons. I think they will try to deal with that first - it wont be easy - our army is mainly infantry, and once the French approach Lyons, our forces will lead them a merry chase through the Massif Centrale, or perhaps even the Alps - much of the Massif is already covered, as well as provinces back to the Spanish frontier. They dont seem to have many reserve troops - although i suppose they will recall the troops they foolishly sent to attack Vienna"

"What will we do, then? Here in Mantua I mean?"

"Try to heal this army, gather such reinforcements as we can, maybe see if the famous armourers of Milan can build some siege artillery, and head for the French province of Emilia. Madrid would very much like to hold another Italian province before there is a peace treaty. Emilia, and Jamaica, wouldnt that be feather in the cap for the DDLF?"

"And what of Sienna and Naples"

"We can retake those as well, perhaps with the help of our brave allies"

Jlo spat. "Stinking allies. Well, it was more your doing than anyone else's. Surely you shall be rewarded."

"I can't think of that now. I can barely do what i must. I am devasted - in my years of soldiering I have never seen so much death as yesterday. I hope the politicians can turn it to account - I am glad I am not responsible for starting such horrors."