• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Technique

RevolutionAARy
14 Badges
Aug 8, 2005
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
Part 1 - Revolution

With the end of 'The Great War' in 1918 came the wrath of the Great Powers who were far from being magnanimous to a defeated Germany. Germany signed the 'Treaty Of Versailles', and the terms were very severe. All of Germany's colonies were taken, they were forced to submit to militarisation of the Rhineland for 15 years and were forced to pay heavy reparations to those countries over-run in the four years of war.

For the army, the loss of pride was devastating. They were reduced to a puny 100,000 men. There was to be no General Staff, no conscription, no tanks, no heavy artillery, no poison-gas, no aircraft. No vessels of the German fleet were to exceed 10,000 tons. There was to be no submarines and no airforce.

The emasculation could not continue, many believed. So, every German street became a battlefield. The Communists (with groups such as the Spartacists) did battle with the Reichswehr and the Freikorps. The aim was to destroy democracy in Germany as soon as possible. To destroy the 'Diktat' of Versaille, and to restore German pride.

In Bavaria the communists took over and established a soviet-style regime, introducing land reform, worker's control and popular participation in goverment. Combined forces of the Reichswehr and Freikorps attempted to defeat it with savagery - and failed.

kpd.gif

Poster of the Communist Party of Germany

The Communists in Bavaria had recieved help from an outside source - the USSR, led by Leon Trotsky. Guns, ammuniation, and even volunteers from the Red army were sent to help the rise of communism in Germany. With their victory against the Reichswehr and the Freikorps they grew even stronger, gaining more followers and young German men willing to fight for their cause.

More uprisings took place all across Germany. With it more help was sent from the east and soon southern Germany was entirely in the control of the communist revolutionaries. Their leader was Ernst Thälmann. He was persuaded by the Weimar parliment to agree to a ceasefire and in return was made Chancellor.

On August 2, 1934, President Hindenburg died, and with him went German democracy. The communists seized power, disbanding parliment, banning all political parties other than the KPD and throwing dissidents and fascists into prison.

The German revolution had finally come.

cg1.jpg

Part 2 - Build up to War

In January 1936, the new German goverment met to discuss the future of Germany. It was agreed that the economy should be geared towards central planning, and that a great factory building program should begin. Industry Minister Albert Kuntz was placed in charge of this '3-year-plan'. There would be no military increase for at least 1 year.

prod.jpg

In the same month German troops entered the Rhineland to the delight of the local population. While many were uneasy about the new German goverment, they were happy to the see a resurgent Germany which harboured bitterness of the French occupation until 1926.

On the 12th March, 1938 - Germany united with Austria as an 'Anschluss' was declared. German soldiers marched through Austria to cheering crowds waving red flags. The anschluss may not have been possible without the help of the 'Austrian Liberation Front' who paralysed the Austrian Goverment.

Johannes Dieckmann after seeing the success of inciting rebellion in Austria set about creating a new one - in Czechoslovakia. A new organisation was set up, the 'Internationaler Befreiung-Service' or IBS for short. Two infantry divsions were set up - 'Spanish Liberation Front', contaning exiles from the now Nationalist Spain and 'Polish Liberation Front' which despite the name incorporated other nationalities aswell as Polish.

During the months leading up to September, Czech communists wreaked havoc on Czech border defences in the sudetenland. They were joined by Sudetens themselves, anxious to join the German Volksrepublik. On September 30th, an agreement was reached to bring an end to the violence. Germany was to recieve the Sudetenland, and all thanks to the appeasement policy of the British and French goverments.

At this time demands for terrority were also being made against Italy, Yugoslavia, Luxembourg, and France. However these countries refused to budge on the issue. Although the Italians did seem more cooperative, perhaps frightened at the prospect of facing up to the economic powerhouse that was the German People's Republic.

In March 1939, Communists in Slovakia declared independence and German troops occupied the rest of the country. Czechoslovakia was no more. A new division was set up from the 'Czechoslovakian Liberation Front'. Czech tanks were used to form two new Panzer Divisions - Panzer Divison 'Karl Marx' and Panzer Division 'KPD' (made up of party members only) which formed IV Panzerkorps.

At this time the German army had grown very quickly. 85+ infantry divisions, 9 motorised divisions, 11 panzer divsions, 3 marine divsions, 1 paratrooper divsion and 7 mountain divisions. Also the airforce had seen the building of 12 interceptor divisions - designed to protect Germany from the mass of bombers which the British and French possessed.

On August 23, 1939 - The German and Russian goverments met in Berlin to discuss the 'Polish question'. A pact was signed which split the country in two and created an alliance between the two nations.

On September 1st, 1939 the German abassador to Poland sent a message demanding the return of German territory stolen by Poland. The Polish goverment refused, confident after signing into an alliance with Britain and France.

Operation 'FALL ADLER' was to commence at 7AM, September 7th, 1939.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I must apologise for the lack of screenshots and information from 1936-1939 ( I was up playing till 3AM!). Things will be more detailed from now onwards, comrades.

:)

PS - I forget to mention im using the Historical Stony Road mod, with my own changes of course.

Interesting...

Questions:
- You mentioned Trotsky. Did you mod him into power in USSR? In that case, IMHO you should also save some people like Bukharin and Frunze. But that hardly matters in a German AAR.
- I assume you sent help to Spain? 'Tis a shame it all came to nothing...
- Who has the "Axis"? Italy? Japan?

das said:
Interesting...

Questions:
- You mentioned Trotsky. Did you mod him into power in USSR? In that case, IMHO you should also save some people like Bukharin and Frunze. But that hardly matters in a German AAR.
- I assume you sent help to Spain? 'Tis a shame it all came to nothing...
- Who has the "Axis"? Italy? Japan?

I made Trotsky USSR's Head of Goverment in place of Stalin, yes. I'm not sure who Bukharin and Frunze are, although I have heard Bukharin's name before. Also, since there is no Stalin, there is no officer purge, which makes for a stronger Red Army. Dont worry about the USSR though, they wont be around much longer if I have my way.

I would have sent help to the Spanish, if I knew how to mod the event. Our Spanish comrades will be liberated soon enough however.

There is no "Axis" any more. In game terms the Axis consists of me and the USSR. I would have properly modded it so Italy took over the Axis and I was in the Comintern if I wasnt so lazy. Anyway Italy are too weak to lead a major alliance anyway, right? They'll soon give in to my territorial demands.

Hmm, actually, never mind Frunze, he died anyway. And Bukharin as well, he was just as anti-Trotrskyte as anti-Stalinist.

Still, I'd expect other government changes in USSR, for instance Molotov or even Trotsky himself is likely to be foreign minister from the start rather then Litvinov. But as Molotov becomes a minister by default, not much of an issue I guess...

Well, Japan is a nice Axis leader barring Italy, and indeed Italy is pathetic. I do believe that before there is a Schism in the Comintern/Axis you should, ah, "persuade" Stalin to take offensive action against Afghanistan (i.e. declare war on it) so that he could open an Indian front - realistic and... convenient.

Interesting AAR. :) Could you expand on the German-Soviet relationship in your next post? Who is the leader of the comintern? Germany or the SU? Is there the rivalry one would suspect?

Part 3 - Invasion Of Poland

"Our alliance with Russia", Thälmann explained, "is merely a front. Europe is not big enough for two communist powers. Trotsky is a weakling, and I shall crush him like a bug."

"Well, comrade. Trotsky is a bug protected by millions of other bugs backed up by artillery, tanks and an airforce big enough to flatten a city in a few hours. I've not come across many bugs like that." said Ludwig Beck, German Chief of Staff. "I'd assume you'd need a lot more than a rolled up newspaper."

"Of course. But, this is for the future. Right now we have more pressing issues. Invading Poland for example. What is our strength across the border?"

"65 divisons are ready to advance as soon as you give the order. I would suggest though comrade, that our troops in the west are too weak to hold off any attacks by the British and French, and we should look to reinforce th..."

"Nonsense. The French wont do a thing. The Allies showed how cowardly they were when they gave in to the demands over the Sudetenland. They will sit behind their fortifications and watch Poland die. 32 divisions in the west is more than enough to handle them for the time being."

"Very well, comrade."

armies.jpg

7:00AM, 7th September, 1939

65 German divisions moved across the border, like a giant wave sweeping the Polish defenders away. The German troops utilising the Blitzkrieg doctrine, pioneered by Lt. General Heinz Guderian, commander of I. Panzerkorps, advanced into Bydgoszcz, Czestochowa, Poznan, Cracow, and Czestochowa.

0,1587,1314268_6,00.jpg

By 1:00AM on September 9th, IV. Panzerkorps under Lt. General Erwin Rommel had arrived in Lodz taking the Poles by surprise.

ivpk.jpg

IV. Panzerkorps, commanded by Erwin Rommel

By 10:00PM, Guderians armoured fist, I. Panzerkorps, II. Panzerkorps and III. Panzerkorps arrived in Lublin effectively cutting Poland in two. There would be no reinforcements to arrive and save Warsaw now.

On September 10th, around 7 Polish divisions were trapped in Danzig. They surrendered the following day. At 12:00 on that following day, Von Bock's armeekorps began its assault on Warsaw, and although the battle was over in 3 hours, it was still a fierce battle.

new.jpg

German soldiers in the Battle of Warsaw

During the Polish campaign the French had been sending its bombing formations into Germany to try and damage German industry. They had little success being shot down in the hundreds by the German defence fleets. The Poles had more success bombing Germany, an entire fleet of Polish Tactical Bombers was able to fly unopposed over Berlin and drop their deadly load. They even managed to inflict heavy losses on the 7th Flieger Division (Paratroopers) who were stationed in Berlin.

On September 12th, Focke Wolf introduced their new 'Improved Interceptor' design, which Willi Bredel, Chief of the Airforce said would "be a big improvement in helping to defend the skies over our great People's Republic. Long live Germany!"

On the same day, I. and II. Panzerkorps arrived in Lomza. On the 17th they reached Grodno, and with it contact with our allies, the Soviet Union. Later that day, Western Poland was annexed into Germany, with Eastern Poland being given to the Russians.

On the 18th the German goverment held an important meeting discuss future plans.

German Goverment Building, 18th September

"Comrades..." started Johannes Dieckmann, "lets get this meeting underway. Lets have a report on our current production, Comrade Kuntz."

"Currently our industry is primarily focused on production, which means we can not currently upgrade our Interceptors to the new design. We are building lots of "Heavy Divsions" (a brigade in HSR) looking to equip all our divisions with an engineer battalion, an anti-tank battalion, an air defence battalion and an extra regiment of infantry. We are also building more motorised divisions in preparation for our invasion of France. Also, our naval programme has now begun, we will have 12 carriers by the end of 1941."

prod2.jpg

prod1.jpg

"Very good. Now, onto the question of France...."

cthulhu said:
Interesting AAR. :) Could you expand on the German-Soviet relationship in your next post? Who is the leader of the comintern? Germany or the SU? Is there the rivalry one would suspect?

I will expand on the relationship in the next update, which will also feature some 'interesting' characters.

As for rivalry,

"Our alliance with Russia", Thälmann explained, "is merely a front. Europe is not big enough for two communist powers. Trotsky is a weakling, and I shall crush him like a bug."

:eek:

Part 4 - Exiles and Alliances

"So, you say you are the true leader of Germany? That you escaped your homeland because of the communist takeover and you now wish to set-up a goverment in exile? Correct?"

"Yes."

Chamberlain took a good look at the figure in front of him. Short, dark hair, and an absolutely ridiculous moustache - this man was no leader!

"You also say you can remove the current German goverment and replace it with one more satisfactory? How do you plan to do this?"

"I have a few associates who are more than up to the task, you will meet them soon enough."

"Ok, I will arrange another meeting. You bring these 'associates' and we will discuss the matter further."

18th September, The Kremlin

"Ungrateful swines." said Trotsky reading the German newspaper in front of him. "Not one mention of our effort in the Polish campaign. If it wasnt for us back in the 20's the fascists would have over-run Germany, you know. Have they ever shown us thanks? No. They just come back with outstreched hands asking for more. For more oil, more rubber."

"I'll tell you something comrade, I dont like that Thälmann." said Molotov getting up from the chair and walking to the window. "Even in the early days, I never liked him. He's the backstabbing type and I wouldn't be surprised if he tried it on us."

"Not for a while yet, he wont. He needs to defeat the Allies first. We'll simply continue to play up our alliance keeping the public happy. When he does strike, it will be seen as the greatest betrayal of all time. The people will rise up and fight against them. There will be no surrender. It will be total war."

"What about the Americans?"

"They'll do nothing unless they're directly threatened. No need to worry about them. But, rest assured, when the time comes when we face the Germans. They will be seen as the aggressors and the affront to International Communism."

"Good stuff."

"Yes, now tell Yagoda to come see me as soon as his agent gets back from Berlin. I want to now what was being discussed at that meeting."

"Yes, Comrade Trotsky."

Hmm. The Volksrepublik and the USSR don't get along? Somehow, this doesn't surprise me.

Part 5 - Sitzkrieg

"France is an easy prey," said Thälmann interrupting, "they are stuck in the past with their bunkers and their so called 'Worlds Greatest Army'. All that is needed is an updated Schlieffen plan and they will come tumbling down."

Everyone's eyes turned to Ludwig Beck who had motioned by sitting forward in his chair.

"I was discussing the matter with Erich Von Manstein and Heinz Guderian last night. They are both for a plan of going through Holland and Belgium - drawing the Allied armies towards us and then, with a strong armoured force in the Ardennes hitting them in the flank and encircling them."

"Interesting, but I feel a revision of the Schlieffen plan is a much more safe option." said Dieckmann adjusting his glasses. "Including Holland in the plans is a good idea i'm sure but, wont we need the extra manpower to tackle the Belgium fort at Eben Emael?"

"No need, Eben Emael will be taken out via other means." said Willi Bredel (Chief of the Airforce) leaning forward. "General Kurt Student is currently training an elite group of commando's especially for the task. They will land on top of the fort via gliders and destroy with explosives."

"Thats settled then, Beck and von Fritsch are to plan the offensive."

Thälmann rose from his seat and looked everyone in the eyes.

"I think now we should discuss our so called 'Allies'. We need to get them to actually do something for once and launch attacks against the British in India and the far east. Of course because they will barely give us any help with matters in Europe or the middle east. Yes, comrade Zaisser?"

"I think Trotsky may move against Japan, which could play to our advantage. If he keeps the Japanese busy the Americans may not get involved."

"The Americans? They're as spineless as the Allies. When we start the revolution in South America however they may change their views."

"Well, I have a question about our Russian friend over there" asked Fritz Scheelen, who had somehow managed not to fall asleep yet. "who is he exactly?"

"A friend." Replied Thälmann "My Georgian friend. I assume this meeting is now over? Good. I have things to do."

10 Downing Street, London

Neville Chamberlain welcomed his guests politely, and asked them to have a seat.

"Mr. Chamberlain. I have been a great admirer of the British Empire for many years. Even though I consider myself a German, I have nothing but respect for the British people and its goverment. This is why i'm here, i'm asking for help. The German people are asking for help. We have more than enough individuals willing to fight to rid Germany of the Red Horde. Will you help us?" the man with the silly moustache asked.

hitler.jpg

"Perhaps. Would you like to introduce me to your friends?"

"Of course, this is Hermann Goering a flying ace from the Great War. The man next to him is a very trustworthy man, Ernst Rohm. On my left are Heinrich Himmler and our secret weapon, Otto Skorzeny."

"How many followers do you have ready?"

"Around 35."

"I dont believe its worth the risk at the moment. I'll need to discuss the matter with my other ministers."

Germany

After the victory in Poland, the German war machine turned west leaving some garrison troops behind to shoot partisans and anyone else who got on the wrong side of the German goverment. The troops in the west positioned themselves across the border ready to strike into Holland, Belgium and then France. But on the 21st October plans for an attack in May 1940 were left in tatters. Germany invaded Denmark, which produced a chain of events that rushed Germany into a western campaign. First Norway and Denmark joined the allies, fair enough thought everyone. Then suddenly Belgium out of the blue joins the Allies and declares war against Germany. Had they gone mad?

"No delay" stressed Thälmann "No delay whatsoever, waiting would give the Allies time to move their troops into Belgium and mess up our plans. We must strike now before its too late."

And so, the western campaign began ahead of time.

The Kremlin, Moscow

"Comrade Trotsky. A message has arrived from Berlin. 'Operation Hunt successful, the bear is dead." and then the messanger quickly scurried off leaving Trotsky to lean back in his chair with a smile on his face that seemed to increase with every second.

Aren`t you getting a new german flag?! You can`t have the nazi one. Great AAR!

Freddan said:
Aren`t you getting a new german flag?! You can`t have the nazi one. Great AAR!
I'm changing the flag right now.

de_pcda.gif

Last edited: