• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lt Hilsdorf

Hearts of Iron 2 Modder
7 Badges
Apr 5, 2004
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Darkest Hour
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
OK well since my newest scenario, Creation of an Italian State, is close to being finished (I'm holding out on the last release until a few issues can be solved), I have begun work on what I hope will be the next in a series of battlescenarios based around wars of the 1800's, the United States Civil War.

Right now I am in the pre-production phase and I expect this one to take much longer to finish then my Italian one. So far I have the basic idea of what the map will look like based on a VIP game in Victoria.

usa186123zz.jpg

based on.............

uscwvip5kq.jpg

Any input on ideas for ANYTHING having to do with the scenario would be great, and if anyone would like to volunteer for any coding, event or graphic work would also be great since one person can only do so much.

Thanks and I hope to get some interest in this so I can eventually release it.

Last edited:
I wish I could help but sadly.....I don't know how to code. It looks awesome though, and so did Italian states. How do you make it though so it takes place in the 1800s though(I know about no limit mod but the divisions.). Also how come there are so many places, I thought it was just Confeds against Union(Union being north with California and Confeds being central and South mostly.

Thanks for showing interest in my scenarios, it's good to know people look at this stuff. Anyway the other areas are for the various indian tribes and the desert state. BTW the first pic is from HoI2 while the second one is from Victoria, I used it as a basis for the top picture. I plan to start making at least the map tommorow so then maybe I can show it ingame. Also remember you don't need to know anyting about coding to help. Any general ideas about what to include in the scenario would be great.

(I was reading you Hungary AAR! The best ever! Anyways)I think that it should(if it can) start out totally Union, no Confederates yet, start right before Civil War, then have it so it all of a sudden Confederacy declares independence from Union and a series of Events like, Confederates inherit the realms of Missouri, Confederates inherit realms of Mississippi, etc. That way it seems kinda like SCW. Then you can have like Battle of Bull Run Event and it has it so you get so many divisions at a certain area(near wherever Bull Run was, I don't know a lot about CW history) and Gettysburg too. Like the triggering for it is like they control the areas around where Bull Run and Gettysburg were).

concerning starting with the Union: I was thinking of maybe starting with just South Carolina and then, as you mentioned, have the other states join. The real reason for this is so the player can choose to play as the CSA right from the start.

(and glad you like the Hungarian AAR........)

Oh yea, I forgot, that would be good though...
So what ya think about other ideas?

YAwmwEN said:
Oh yea, I forgot, that would be good though...
So what ya think about other ideas?

as for the events I'm not sure if I can get too spcific with battles and such, but I can always try, checking to see if certain provinces are occupied and such.

Jubal.Early said:
watching this - wont contrbitue, but will gleefully dl it if it finishes.

Believe me when I say it will be released...................................someday

Well like you can create the divisions so like it shows how unit organizations and placements began in certain areas. You can also have like Campaign Virginia etc. where you get stockpiles from it and you get units unlocked etc.

Well I've been working on the map for an hour or so. It kinda takes awhile to write all these provinces down without an editor. Anyway I just thought about what the scenario should be called. I was thinking "The War betweeen the States: The US Civil War". I want to use "A House Divided", since I really like that name, but I dont wanna rip of Victoria. Any ideas?

Ah, allways good to see yet another Lt Hilsdorf scenario! I've enjoyed your previous work and I'm sure this will be no different.

I'd be happy to help with some coding, though I have no knowledge of the civil war beyond the basics.

Emil_s said:
Ah, allways good to see yet another Lt Hilsdorf scenario! I've enjoyed your previous work and I'm sure this will be no different.

I'd be happy to help with some coding, though I have no knowledge of the civil war beyond the basics.
Thanks, glad to know you liked my other scenarios.

Anyway about coding, at this time I really have nothing that needs to be done yet, other than making that map and basic scenario files. Eventually I'm gonna have to make the leader and OOB files. If you're willing to help with those in the future, that would be great. The leaders will probably be easier then the OOB's, but you can always choose which ever you prefer, assuming you still want to help later on.

I'll help also. I know how to do almost anything in the modding areas, but I'm not that good at them with the exception being event scripting and now tech and such.

I was thinking of doing something like this as well and I started with the same concept - NC already the Confederates and the others joining. It would be fun.

Email or message me if you want some help.

Tux the Penguin said:
I'll help also. I know how to do almost anything in the modding areas, but I'm not that good at them with the exception being event scripting and now tech and such.

I was thinking of doing something like this as well and I started with the same concept - NC already the Confederates and the others joining. It would be fun.

Email or message me if you want some help.
So you can do tech stuff? That might be a good thing. I was considering maybe trying to make a a new tech tree so people cold do some research through the scenario, but I know nothing at all about tech modding. The only problem with changing the tech tree would be that it would probably take a while to not only make it, but to come up with the techs for it. For now thats only an idea.

And thanks for the support. Glad to know this is gaining some interest.

Ok here's an update on what I got done today.

1-The map is complete for the most part. I still need to add a few British island (not the home islands) provinces and give them some provinces in Canada.

2-A general OOB for all factions, again expect Britain, is done based of the Victoria scenario (which takes place later then my scenario but it will do for now).

3-I started work on making some new icons, again based off Victoria for now. I have a book with some nice drawings that will work great for icons.

4-I contacted some people at VIP and asked if I could use the Indian flags they made. The anwser was that there "is a 98% chance it will be OK". I like those odds.

Tonight I plan to start work on making a list of leaders as well as pictures for them. While on the subject of graphics, if someone wants to make a picture of the scenario selection screen, loading menu, or any of the other menus that would also be great (although I don't mind doing it myself).

Also if anyone wants to start writing ANY events at all, that would be nice. At the moment I really need some events for southern state seccesion. The scenario starts December 25th, 1860, a few days after south carolina left the Union. To find the dates the other states left the Union search for "CSA" on wikipedia.

Again thanks to all who are showing interest in the scenario.

Lt Hilsdorf said:
The scenario starts December 25th, 1860, a few days after south carolina left the Union. To find the dates the other states left the Union search for "CSA" on wikipedia.

Again thanks to all who are showing interest in the scenario.

I'm starting on the succession events. BTW, you might want to start on Jan 1, 1861. The first state to leave after SC was on Jan 7th. So that nice round starting date sounds nice. But anyway...

I came up with a novel idea how to get the states to decide, on their own, whether to go with succession or not.

I'm going to create another "country" called "State Assembly" which will be the AI which will "choose" whether to succeed or not. It will really be governed by the "ai_chance" in the event itself, but that way the US or CSA can't unduly influence what happens (but still give the "what if" possibility).

I'll go through the end of the possible successions.

Also, we might want to go the route of the mod-dirs for this one. That way we can change some of the config files and not mess up the HoI base game. I'll take lead for the events.

Yup it's going to be mod-dir. Someday I hope to gather all my 1800's scenarios (present and future ones) and put them in one huge mod. Anyway I think you're right about the start date. January 1st will be alot better really. And good to know work on those events has started. I have just begun getting leaders together for the CSA (wiki has a good starting list under CSA)

CSA leadersa are now done. There are 18 leaders for now and I think that will be enough. I need to start on Union officers now, but I can't seem to find a good list. Anyone have a good site to check for some?