• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Amric

Hurricane Sergeant of Arms
2 Badges
May 4, 2003
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis III
  • 500k Club
Yes, I have started a new tale. However this is unlike any other I have ever done before. This is NOT going to be a story that transverses the entire gamut of the EUII period with one nation, or two, or three. It is going to be somewhat interactive as well. This is something I've had stuck in my head for about a month and I just can't get it out of there, so I decided to work with it. Plus I have never seen anything like it before here on the forums, so why not do something that has never been done before?

What is this idea? Simply enough just as the title suggests it will be about various detectives<even though the mere idea of detectives wasn't even truly invented yet!>, spies and whatever other kind of occupation that strikes our fancy. Yes, I said OUR fancy.

The premise is that if I start with a detective story then there will be voting for WHICH nation it will be set in, what period of time, and what kind of crime. Then I will write the story, however long it takes. Then we will progress to another nation, and then decide if it will be another detective story or a spy story or something else altogether!

The sky is the limit! Well, except that it has to be plausibly possible for it to have happened during the time frame I will be writing. No modern weapons, vehicles, et al. Obviously.

So here is the first list of things to vote upon.

1. What kind of story should start it all?<Once we know we can narrow it down further, of course!>

a. Detective
b. Spy
c. other?<to be determined later

2. What Continent should it be set in?<once we have a continent we can narrow it down to which nation!>

a. Europe
b. Asia
c. Africa
d. North America
e. South America
f. Australia
g. Middle East<yes, I know it isn't a continent, work with me people!>

3. What period of time?<To be narrowed down later>

a. 1419-1519
b. 1520-1620
c. 1621-1721
d. 1722-1820

Okay, we have three categories to start with! Let's get some voting and start narrowing it down so that I can begin entertaining you with a tale. As I mentioned before, this is something that could be ongoing for a very long time, as we do not have to be linear in our thinking. We might have a story set in the 1700's one time and then back into the 1400's the next!

So let's get started and let the ideas start flowing!

Last edited:
This looks like it could be fun.
1. A
2. A
3. D

I happened to recently read a magazine that runs detective stories, and the cover one could easily have fit my answers. It concerned a possible Shakespeare forgery that was floating around.

1. a
2. a
3. d

I'm thinking that a murder mystery set during the Napoleonic Wars would be pretty cool. Great idea, by the way.

Good to see you writing Amric. Lets see I think I'll chose:

1- A
2- A
3- B

Good Luck ;)

Joe

This looks like a great idea, Amric! This looks like a fun read!

My votes:
1. A (Detective)
2. A (Europe)
3. D (1722-1820) - Specificially the Napoleonic Wars

* I could also see C-A-D. Judas' idea of a saboteur sounds interesting!) *

I'll go along with others and vote for

1.a (detective - should get you off to a good start!)
2.a (Europe - let's keep it vaguely plausible!)

but I'd put my third vote as

3.a (1419 - I always like to start from the very beginning, it's a very good place to start, etc, etc...)

Good luck!

Great Idea!

1. A
2. A
3. A

I'm thinking something involving the HYW...

Here's my vote:

A)
A)
A)

And I like Judas' saboteur ideas as well as Dead William's pirate idea.... but that can be a tad bit down the line.

Can't wait to see what we come up with, Amric! :cool:

Thanks, folks. So far it is a landslide going on...Nine votes for 1a. Unanimous for 2a. Five votes for 3a and three for 3d. I'll hold off another day to see if anything else develops for the third question...

Detective story it is...Now for what nation in Europe?

4. Which Nation in Europe should this be set in?

a. England
b. France
c. Germanies
d Italy
e. Scandinavia
f. Other<Please name>

BTW, Judas, saboteur could be lumped into spy in a way...

Another question...

5. Should this story stay strickly to mundane or should there be an aspect of magic to it as well?<I did say sky was the limit!>

a. Yes
b. No

Remember to please put the number along with your answer as those following this now might not do so and we could have confusion...

A. England..... where else can you have a good mystery story? :D
B. Ummm...... while the hint of supernatural is all fine and good... why don't we stay on the side of reality? You know, we can't cheat the detective.

4) D

5) No magic. But miracles are OK.

Last edited:
4. d
5. b

The country should be Italy, as it is the perfect location for all sorts of Machiavellian goings on.

Keep it mundane for the time being I think.

Amric said:
BTW, Judas, saboteur could be lumped into spy in a way...

Not really. A spy is someone who collects information for a government in a foreign country, while a saboteur is someone who attempts to, well, cause sabotage. Of course, a person could be both at the same time.

But that's beside the point, detective won in any case.* :)

As for the new question:

4. c. (BADEN! :D)
5. b. (Magic's nice, but not in a detective story.)

4: B
5: B

I think that revolutionary and immediate post-revolutionary periods can provide a perfectly intricated, changing and violent background for an intrigue ;) .

And then again, magic is fine, but the thrill of EU2 is not about that, and we're on EU2 AARs, aren't we? :rolleyes: BTW, do you intend to have any game running in the background?

4) A, C, or E -- A provides perfect detective types, while C & E can create so many different opportunities it could begin to make a brain melt, eh? :D

5) Either way, it makes no never mind to me, I can work with both. :)