• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

E. Jünger

Captain
77 Badges
Feb 7, 2005
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
Yours is the true non-violence, it is the non-violence of the strong, not the non-violence of the weak and starving. - Mahatma Gandhi speaking directly to the Pashtuni

a Normal/Normal HOI2 game, playing as Afghanistan.

there will be some "light" cheating, such as the occasional acceptall to get into (in my mind) reasonable alliances, propbably ersonable peaces and reasonable "third world aid" from those allies, such as some blueprints. (bear in mind that afghanistan only has one tech team. skill 1) And also a slight readjusting of capitals. Except for that, nothing.

From the start Afghanistan can't build factories, lacking the technology, and have no industry reasearch group. 6 IC of which 5 are utilisable at the start due to horrible ministers. I sincerely doubt I will manage to do something similar to my Communist China game. But getting pwned is probably good for me.

Disclaimer:
This will be an AAR about Afghanistan. I want to add that Afghanistan then and Afghanistan now is not identical. Afghanistan has never been a static country as some would want us to believe. While things written in this AAR might seem to have bearing on the current and precurrent situation of Afghanistan, and even though I hold opinions on the subject, this will not become a vessel for discussions of contemporary Afghanistans. Respect that. This AAR is a work of fiction and fantasy as well as a work of facts.

However, exclamations of the type "holy shit, that I did not know about the Afghans/Pashtuns!" will be allowed. ;)

I also want to add that even though I have read books (red books?) on some of the different cultures and groups of Afghanistans I am not an expert. If you know better, or even if you Think you know better, feel free to correct me.

This AAR will be inspired by the book "crossroad of cultures" by Jan Myrdal, but if you have beef with the author (many do), don't bring it up with me. Another book I may be inspired by is the book "Camels drink water" by Erik Beckman (probably only available in swedish ("Kameler dricker Vatten")), a work of fiction.

Furthermore, despite the heavy disclaimer I expect the AAR to be a tad more easygoing :)

The AAR will start in a few days, probably when I'm in japan, or maybe before. I just want to reserve the space so nobody takes the idea before I get around to it. ;)

Looking foward to this.

I played the Afghan jezzails for my my first country on Hearts of Iron I, it was a thorougly interesting game. And pick on Persia, Bigad, their ready for the plucking!

A trooper said:
I played the Afghan jezzails for my my first country on Hearts of Iron I, it was a thorougly interesting game. And pick on Persia, Bigad, their ready for the plucking!

In HOI2 it's a tad bit harder since we have pacts of non-agression between our country and it would be hard to motivate since Iran and afghanistan to my knowledge have no quarrel that needs resolving. Furthermore their independence is guaranteed by the soviet union. But thanks for the tip! And thanks for the encouragement I have received in advanced from all of you. :)

"In 1945, we completed our first 1936 Infantry Division..."

Some of these minor minor countries don't seem like they'd have any potential, the way they could in HoI 1...

I think this is going to one heck of a good tale.

Indeed. Although there may not be many 'major achievements', I'm sure the narrative and inventiveness of the author will keep us all reading with gusto :)

Good luck!

Schizo! said:
Indeed. Although there may not be many 'major achievements', I'm sure the narrative and inventiveness of the author will keep us all reading with gusto :)

Good luck!

Sir Humphrey said:
I think this is going to one heck of a good tale.

:eek: Dammit! How am I ever gonna live up to your expectation. ;)

KlavoHunter said:
"In 1945, we completed our first 1936 Infantry Division..."

Well, since I'm going to japan I'm playing in advance, at the moment it's christmas 1939 and I think I've done a little better than that. But there is much truth in what you say. As a little "spoiler" I can add that my first unit took roughly a year to complete. On the other hand, if I'm still on the map in 45' I will se it as an accomplishment. :D

Let the Game Commence!

Let the Game Commence!

OOC: first an additional disclaimer, you may already have realized that I am an overly cautious person, and I do not doubt your civility and the good taste of our moderators, but I have in my life have my share of unnecesary flamewars, so once again, my characters are characters. What they say stand for them and not for me.

The story of Jürgen von Stülphnagel, archeologist.

Oh, the excitement! The alliance between our countries have opened up amazing prospects, I will be leading the excavation of the ancient city of Balkh. Below the sad little village that today is Balkh lies the capital of the Aryan people, from where they started the conquest and triumph over the world. To with my own hands get to excavate the capital of our ancestors is an honor unlike no other. I will get to perform a feat equal to that of Schliemans excavation of Troy, no Exceeding Scliemans feat since this is a site of incomparable importance.

Balkh! The mother of all cities it was once called. It was there Zarathustra spoke, it was there he laid the foundation of all of the modern religions, what later became hinduism, christianism, islam and judaism. It was here in the mountains and deserts that our people were hardened to get their abilities to reign supreme no matter the harshness of climates, desert and tundra alike.

But let's not run ahead of ourselves I'm not there yet. Getting as far as Jalalabad was a struggle. The British were not exactly forthcoming in letting me through their possesions in india, making up every excuse to slow down this expedition, but once over the border things got easier. In a way. The brits were stalling, but at least there, they had proper roads. How far these people have fallen since we took our hands from them. My native guide, one of these typical unindustrious orientals, has, as his limited abilities take him tried to be of assistance, but still. This morning I asked him to bring me some hot water, "ab garm" I said and what does he bring me? Lukewarm.

But let's keep a positive attitude, no matter the heat and the filth of this country, let's focus on what lies ahead, and what lies behind. The time of the great game. Ahead lies the very road on which on the 13th of january 1841 the british kabul army returned to the fortress in Jalalabad. Or what remained of the army. One single man. The army and camp followers had numbered 16,500 when they began the retreat, and a week later all that remain was a single wounded man. Our ancestors must have left a drop or two of their savage blood in this country after all.

The Story of the guide:

The illness has returned. All day the creatures have been gnawing at me. "Amoebas" I've heared them called by a wise man in Kabul. The King in Kabul has made a deal with these ferenghi, they say they are our friends, I don't know. Conquerors always come as friends, offering to help. But they are guests in our country, we must treat them well. We're going to Balkh, I told him to forget about Balkh, there is nothing there. In Mazar-i-Sharif only one day with camel from Balkh is the Tomb of Ali, the greatest warrior of all times, but he wants to go to Balkh and dig in the sand. He is a guest in this country. We must respect our guests wishes.

The Geopolitical narrative.

On the first day of 1936 the Afghan Shah and Ribbentrop had reached an agreement, their countries would be friends, allies. The germans would help in the modernization of the Afghan army, which would be organized according to the german model. What germany would get out of the alliance was at this moment unclear. Could it be that the germans had plans directed against their ideological enemy, the Soviet union?

Afghanistan was once a very rich area, through here the silk route passed through, since China and India are separated by the himalayas this was where the caravans from India, Iran and China intersected. Still today this is a crossroad, with the Svoiet union to the north, Iran to the west, china to the east and India to the south. Unfortunately china is in turmoil, and while the british like to talk about "free trade" it has always been "free trade" on their terms the land of the silk route is poor, and the irrigational network that once made the desert bloom have long since clogged up. But maybe, one day the desert will bloom again.

OOC:
The Domestic (Gamecentered) narrative.

Started building a unit of cavalry. the construction proceeds at a third of the normal speed due to lack of IC, cavalry demands 8 IC I have 5 to use, after cosumer goods and supply demands are met I have roughly a third of 8 available. Boy, this will take time.

The available troops are:
1 @ 1918 Infantry
1 @ 1918 Cavalry
5 @ 1936 Militia

We are researching mobility focus, since the only team we have is a military academy team, I estimate that I will be able to research 1936 cavalry and Static Anti-Air this year. (using acceptall'ed blueprints) The next year we will start on the mountaineering troops. After that I will research Mobility Doctrine. In the coming war, Speed will be of the essence.

We have very few researched tech. great war infantry, cavalry, artillery and armoured car. That's it.

so.

I decided to have a threefold narrative style, so you get the characters, the political situation, and the exact planning. Should I continue to have them all in the same post or should I separate them into different posts (colorcoded posts? different threads?)

I would go keep it in the same thread with/without separete posts, just don't use different colours.

Did you join the axis? Why did you need accept'all, the AI give you free blueprints or did they give you bluprints for ships :) .

Jürgen von Stülphnagel said:
Below the sad little village that today is Balkh lies the capital of the Aryan people, from where they started the conquest and triumph over the world.

Bah! Every REAL archeologist knows that primordial Thule is the origin of the mighty Aryan race! :D

I really like this. :) *subscribes*

cthulhu said:
Bah! Every REAL archeologist knows that primordial Thule is the origin of the mighty Aryan race! :D

I really like this. :) *subscribes*

Well, he never claimed that it was the origin. Only that it was their first Capital.
;)

durecellrabbit said:
I would go keep it in the same thread with/without separete posts, just don't use different colours.

Did you join the axis? Why did you need accept'all, the AI give you free blueprints or did they give you bluprints for ships :) .

yes, I joined the axis. The AI would give me blueprints if the german AI knew how to make money. It doesn't. At least not in this game. It's always hovering around 4 cash, therefore I used acceptall. I've never seen this before, when I played as Italy germany was very generous, probably the german economy get's a boost with the fall of france...

the different colours would be for the headlines, not all the text, that I realise would be too hard on the reader.

The AI's diplomacy stuff does not use money. It's free for them. Otherwise they would never do anything, because the AI sees no point in money.

KlavoHunter said:
The AI's diplomacy stuff does not use money. It's free for them. Otherwise they would never do anything, because the AI sees no point in money.

which explains the numerous attempts by republican spain to influence me in the middle of a civil war...

After all the loads of German, French, Italien, SU AARs finally I find one, where victory is not so obvious :rofl:

This AAR sounds great, hope the Afghani Empire will either:
a) conquer the middle east

b) at least survive till the end of the game :p

PS. I hope it's answer "a" good luck!:)

E. Jünger said:
which explains the numerous attempts by republican spain to influence me in the middle of a civil war...

What can I say? The Republicans suck :rofl: