• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dale

Banned
14 Badges
Jun 26, 2002
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Semper Fi
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Pride of Nations
Hi everyone. :) I'm fairly new to CK (only had it a week and a half). After starting a few games as different nations to learn how to play it, I've started a new game as the Duchy of Flanders. Seemed like a good realm to play:
- Rich
- Close to a King (France)
- Will hopefully lead me to being France in EU2 (my fav nation there)

Anyways, it's a normal difficulty game, playing 1.04a (no beta). My goals will be to take over the throne of France, and extend into Germany and Spain areas. I'll also try to do better in the 100 years war than history too. ;)

I'm not very good at writing stories so I'm not going to attempt one. This will just be game updates etc.

Here's the scene as at 1066:

The Duke of Flanders includes:
- Duchy of Flanders (3 provs)
- Count of Boulogne (1 prov)
- Bishopric of Artois (1 prov)

1066.gif

The first few years were mainly building and concentrating on increasing the economy of the Duchy. Forestries, sawmills, justices, training grounds and tile-factories were built.

I also kept a close eye on my neighbors and with some creative assasins got myself next in line for the Countys of Gent and Hainaut. Eventually those Countys came to me. By 1085 my economy in the Duchy was roaring, and I felt I was strong enough to turn to my neighbor Duchy of Champagne.

I declared war and was surprised to find my liege join the battle on my side. I went straight for the juggular and took out Champagne's demesne. Then over the next few years I picked off the independant Countys at my whim.

So the last few years have been building up the economy in the new provinces, shuffling my vassals around so the next two successors have their own provinces, and waiting for my BB to come down.

I have Ille De France completely surrounded, and Phillipe is completely trusting of me. I decided that inheritance was too hard for the throne and that conquest was my only option a long time ago. I think I'll wait till the current Duke dies (he's 60-odd right now) before I take the next step.

Here's the scene at 1095:

The Duchy of Flanders includes:
- Duchy of Flanders (4 provs)
- County of Guines (2 provs)
- County of Boulogne (2 provs)
- Bishopric of Yperen (1 prov)
- Bishopric of Artois (1 prov)
- County of Troyes (4 provs)

1095.gif

Excellent start so far. Great idea on taking out Champagne. Maybe you should try to take out Aquitaine next :p

Well done! But damn you..i was planning on writing a Flanders 1066 AAR...anyways good luck, will be reading!
*subscribes*

Thanks all. :)

I don't get much time to play, so updates will be a few days between. Sorry, blame my wife for that. ;)

I will tell you though, I'm a couple more years in and I've got a foothold in Spain, France is crumbling and I hold Ille de France. Yet I'm still faithful to my King. ;)

I'll tell you about it soon. :D

Dale

BTW I play at resolution 1024x768.

I guess that your are maybe still loyal to your king but that the king you refer to is somebody else than the original King of France. :D

I
also kept a close eye on my neighbors and with some creative assasins got myself next in line for the Countys of Gent and Hainaut. Eventually those Countys came to me. By 1085 my economy in the Duchy was roaring, and I felt I was strong enough to turn to my neighbor Duchy of Champagne.

isn't the count of Hainaut one of your sons and direct heir in 1066? So why kill him ?