• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(37408)

Captain
Jan 3, 2005
Eclipse of the Rising Sun,a 1944 Japan AAR
Episode 1

1aarjapanesetroops5ry.jpg

''We made weapons who could wipe out humanity in seconds.There's no problem with the control these weapons.The problem is in the control of man.'' - L.Ron Hubbard

The sight of the rising sun is calming,as you slowly approach the window.Your uniform is a little tight,but the sight of yourself in the mirror gives you a good impression.You decide to relax yourself before the reunion,by simply staring at the sun,who removes the darkness out of Tokyo.However,your good feelings fade away when you start thinking of the future of your country,the country of the rising sun.

Prologue

The year is 1944.War is raging all over the world,and Japan is obviously not left alone,being the one that made it global.As years passed by after the Pearl Harbour attack,Japan expanded greatly,yet the ages of victory are long gone.After Guadalcanal and the Chinese campaign,the Imperial Japanese Army is exhausted and lacking of everything.The Japanese Navy is barely starting to recover from the battle of Midway and the North Australian Sea campaign.Yet,what seemed worst was the loss of Tojo Hideki's military assitant,great military strategist Akira.The brilliant man had greatly participated in the Singapore Campaign and the Pearl Harbour attack,two of the greatest Japanese victory during this war.He had also prevented the battle of Coral Sea to turn into a total disaster by demonstrating great naval warfare tactics.His only regret was is participation in the Guadalcanal campaign,where he personally felt it was is fault that Japan lost the island so quick after the airport was constructed.Hideki appreciated the man,and the leader of Japan had all his trust in Akira,even if both men didn't have the same vision,as Akira believed Japan should let the chinese alone and focus their attention on controlling the Pacific Islands.Irony made that the great strategist died from his wounds on a flight to help the Japanese Army in China.Great follower of the Samurai code,when he knew that he had no chance to survive the accident,he commited suicide by using is sword,with only 1 arm left from the crash.He had also asked that that is son replaced him,as he knew that his child was a great follower of the Samurai code,and he could trust him to fight to the end.This left the High council of Japan in a troubling position,as they wanted to respect the man,but his son was only 24 years old.However,he was no newcomer to the military,as the young man followed is father after military school to learn from his old man.After discussions,Hideki and the military command decided to let Akiro Shima,son of great ground and naval tactician Akira,to replace him as military assistant of Tojo Hideki.And that is you.You are to decide review and give your opinion on operations before they happen when Tojo is unavailable.You are Akiro Shima.

20 June 1944

As you enter the room filled with officer's and Generals,the room notices your arrival and greetings are made.This is your first day as Tojo's assistant,and you feel slightly uneasy in this position,controlling the fate of million's of man.However,you try to stay calm and to keep your attention on the briefing given.It explains in details the situation of the Japanese army in China,and you quickly realise things there are worst then your most pessimist expectations.The more Field Marshall Hata,the more you try to hide the panic that is building in you.You know that when is briefing will be over,maps are gonna be unrolled and planning is going to get on,and everyone is going to look at you,wondering how you can save the situation.

The briefing ends,and Chief of Army Inanba Satouru follows,by asking opinions and solutions on the ugly situation.Plans are drawed,re-drawed and re-redrawed,and at the end,you notice the High Command seems divided between 2 plans.However,as Tojo's assistant you have the final word since the prime minister decided this would be your first battle.After almost three hours of discussion,you ask the Generals to go to their room,and that you will decide wich one of these 2 plans will be used.The officers look a little disapointed as their plans are in the fate of a ''24 year old'',but they have trust in you,as you are the son of a hero they all respect.As everyone leaves,you are left with Chief of Army.You both become good allies,and trust is installed between you 2.Himself being quite young compared to the others(34),you both have a fresh point of view.''Well,we cannot waste more time,we have to act before the chinese do so,and i have other things to do.'',he says calmly.''I will let you decide,since both plans are acceptable in my opinion.'' he then declares.

WHAT DO YOU DO?(Ok this is how it works.You simply post for what plan you would like to see,or thing is the best or whatever,and the one with the most votes will be used.)

Plan 1:
1aarchinaaggresive8bw.jpg

This plan involes creating a pocket in south-east china,with the Armored and Motorized divisions from south,and the cavalrized units in the north.However,it opens a blatant opening in North China.However,you and the high officers are aware that you need to thin down the Chinese army,even at the loss of territory's.

Plan 2:
1aarchinadefensive1tu.jpg

This one is based on a defensive stance.Japanese troops will retreat and form 2 pockets,one deep north and one east.China will gain a lot of ground,however they will cover a lot of ground,while our soldiers will be able to rest and get ready for a powerful counter attack when the chinese will get close.This plan however will take more time to develop,however it is less risky then the 1st one.

Last edited:
Woah, this is cool. I think Plan No.1 is best.

Yea, try the first plan, and if it fails or you just feel continuuin is impossible/not needed, use the plan 2. But first slaughter those dirty chinamen in the middle of your positions.

Plan I also...

As Tojo's right hand man is Akiro only involved in the battle for China or all theatre's of war?

If so - how well are the homeland Islands defended?

Is China a part of the allies? Can Akiro draw on any other forces than what are present on China mainland?

Maybe an OOB and comparisons of land and air and sea

Great Idea though - go for it!

well, I'd recommend puppetting the Chinese, after allowing Chiang to annex all the warlords and communists. I say do not fall back. The Japanese Army does not retreat!

Totally. Sweet.

:cool:

I knew the day would come.

I would choose Plan 1.

The Empire never retreats! For the glory of the Emperor, you will proceed with Plan 1, and annihilate the subhuman Chinese in their southern pocket!

Well i would like to thank everyone who voted for episode 1,as well as the comments.Any comments will be appreciated and questions will be answered(well,not ALL QUESTIONS if u know what i mean :rolleyes: ).

The winner of this episode is,obviously,Plan 1.

The Rev:No,Akiro will help every aspect of the war,as for your question of homeland islands,i would say it is ok,every island as a division or 2,but i have no idea on how powerful the american pacific army is(i don't check military stats,kinda cheating,at least after 1941 for Japan),but i can tell you the IJN is outmatched by the american navy in at least a 3:1 ratio,so i will have to be very careful,especilly with the new patch who forces 4 hours of battle...

China is not part of the allies,so peace is an option if they ask for it.

KlavoHunter said:
The Empire never retreats! For the glory of the Emperor, you will proceed with Plan 1, and annihilate the subhuman Chinese in their southern pocket!
They never retreat! They only perform retrograde maneouvres! :D

Eclipse of the Rising Sun,a 1944 Japan AAR
Episode 2

''Hope is just the wish that in the future we could have an effect on something '' - L.Ron Hubbard

23 June 1944

As you are walk towards the planning room,your feel the anxiety inside of you building with each step you take.You haven't heard any news of the plan that was choosed three days ago.You relax yourself by looking at the objects of any kind around you,to try to get your attention somewhere else,and somehow it seems to work.However,as you see Terauchi when you enter the planning room,the stress quickly builds up again and you expect for the worst.

You take a sit and install yourself comfortably next to Hideki's seat,waiting for something that maybe will cheer you up.Anything is likely to do,as you except a 11:1 ratio of bad/good news.

The room quickly uncrowds,and only the high staff of the military is left.

2aarmeeting8qy.jpg

(Hideki is also Prime Minister of Japan.)

Tojo Hideki,prime minister - We have quite a lot to cover,and time is short so lets start right now.Chief Osami and Grand Admiral Yamamoto,why don't you start with the Imperial Japan Navy(IJN) report.

Nagano Osami,Chief of the IJN - Thank you prime minister.As you probably heard,the IJN is going to deploy 3 new Soryu Class carriers(Basic Aircraft Carrier),but im also proud to annonce that Japan will be able to launch the most modern aircraft carrier we have made so far,the Shinanu Aircraft Carrier(Heavy Advanced Carrier).Hopefully with these new ships,we will be able to form a second group,as currently our fleet needs all the Carriers to stay together if it wants to have enough firepower to do any significant damage to the Americans.The 4 Ships should be in service by the end of this year.Of course,to complement and assist these carriers,we will produce a great number of Light Cruisers,to replace those lost during the guadalcanal campaign.Great news indeed i can see in your eyes,but we are stil.

Yamamoto quickly interrupts Osami before he can finish is sentence.

Isoroku Yamamoto,Commander and planner of the Aircraft Carrier Fleet - No need to give us the bad news,i think everyone here got their fair share of those every day.I understand your situation Osami,but please,who always looks on the bright side will find the bright road.But i doubt we have time for proverbs do we gentlemens?Cause i have rarely seen proverbs bring back to life Aircraft Carriers!

The gentlemens tried their best to laugh,but most of them had suffered so much pressure in the last 2 years,laughing was something that was long gone from their actions or minds.Of course,every man respected the most famous Japanese Admiral,and they appreciated that Yamamoto tried to make the atmosphere lighter.

Yamamoto - Anyway,on the action side of things,we are planning the IJN is planning to cover the 1st Transport Fleet in their operation to take back the island of Saipan.I fear that if we fail to take back the island,the Japanese islands are going to be in a serious threat,and who knows wich island could be next?Saipan has a large air and naval base,therefor leaving it to long in American hands would mean that our homeland islands could be in a serious threat.Gentlemens,the downfall of Saipan as to be our highest priority.

2aarpacificmap0bo.jpg

Hideki - Thank you Grand Admiral Yamamoto and Chief Osami,now on the army side,Saturo,go on.

Inanbu Satoru,Chief of the Army - Greetings Generals and commanders,i will be brief.I will start by news about the burma road,who are quite dramatic,even in the most optimistic sight.The british have mobilised 9 divisions,while we have 6 infantry divisions.Of course,we can hold our ground for a while,but their air superiority is almost complete,and any advance in Indian territory is impossible,at least for now.Of course,3 or 4 more divisions would make all the difference in the world and we could reverse the heat,with a counter attack that would unbalance the british.

Hideki - Major Satoru,you are quite aware of our army situation.The only way i could help is if a moved divisions for china,and i fear this is impossible,unless i accepted their ridiculous peace offers...

As you listen to the conversion carefully,you quickly feel a chilling sensation in your spine.''The chinese have offered peace and the fool that is leading japan has refused to do so?'',you tell to yourself.

Terauchi and Satoru quickly give an odd look to Hideki,as he didn't realise what he just said.Both men quickly answer that Hideki should seriously consider peace with the Nationalist,as they both need troops to hold on against the British and the Americans.However,you know that you are by far the one who knows the most about the situation.

''It would be almost suicidal to keep up the fight against the chinese.They have around 120 divisions on our borders,while we have 40 divisions to defend a ridiculous length of ground'' you answer.

As you stop speaking,the room goes silent.Yamamoto,Osami and Kenji,who are not fully aware of the army situation look at you and hideki wanting explanations,while Terauchi and Satoru decide to stay silent,even tho their eyes shows that you have their entire support.Hideki,embarassed by this unexpected reaction from you,hesitates and quickly says ''Shima!Come with me!.Commanders,keep the discussion running,and when i come back i want some decent solutions on the table!

Hideki makes you sign to follow him,and you do so.He brings you in his office,who is very close to the planning room.As soon he closes the door,you decide that you cannot wait a second and want more explanation for what the prime minister is doing.

''What are you doing?Why did you bring in here?'' you say.

Hideki - Shut up fool!The question is what are you doing?Humilitating me in front of my commanders!

''What?I don't understand,i simply told what i tought would be the best solution.You know like me that China outnumbers us in a ridiculous way!Even,if by a miracle we eliminate the southern pocket,they still outnumber us in a ridiculous ratio!If we make peace with china,then we can move our troops to help on the pacific islands'' you answer him.

Hideki - Pfff,falling back is for the fools and the weak.All those Japanese soldiers who died would have lost their blood for nothing!

''Every Japanese soldier on that continent is going to lose their blood if we leave them there!'' you say loudly,trying to calm yourself.

Hideki - You dissapoint me Akiro.I tought of you of a powerful modern samurai,but your are nothing but a pessimist man,you and your pathetic samurai sword.

''Do not taunt me Tojo,i do not know why you act so foolishly,but i can tell you that im not a pessimist,im simply realist.How do you hope to win this war?The Americans are nearly at our shores,and yet you want us to keep fighting an army 3 times bigger then us and the Americans?Does the Emperor even know about this?I have serious doubt on the truth of these reports you give to Hirohito.'' you answer him.

Hideki - Meh!The emperor is weak and he knows nothing of war.He would have told us to stop if he knew about Midway.

You can barely hold the rage that his in you.The man in front of you is leading Japan to its ruin,and the emperor knows absolutly nothing of all this.Your hand slowly moves towards your sword,but you wonder if this is the correct thing.You are sure that ending is life will bring good to Japan,at least the Chinese war will end,because as soon as Hideki is gone,the Emperor will finally know what is really going on,and he's going to sign the peace act himself.However,something also holds you back,as the pathetic man in front of you somehow dosen't deserve death.

WHAT DO YOU DO?

Option A:Hold yourself from ending Hideki's life to save yourself a lot of trouble,however at the cost of keeping the china war alive.

Option B:End Hideki's life,wich will hopefully bring end to the China-Japan war.

Last edited:
The choose-your-own-adventure writing style is a bit...disconcerting...

I'd focus on the bigger threat of the Americans. Make peace with the Chinese for some good land. Perhaps enough territory to release a strong puppet that can create lots of divisions for itself at your techlevel, which you can take military control of and stuff.

Interesting idea for an AAR, I go with option A, at least for now there is still hope.