• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jape

Lord Privy Seal
7 Badges
Jul 16, 2004
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
The Pipes, The Pipes are Calling: Scotland AAR

6726478.jpg

charge-of-the-highlanders-PrestonPans-by-Mark-Churms.gif

Hark when the night is falling
Hear! hear the pipes are calling,
Loudly and proudly calling,
Down thro' the glen.
There where the hills are sleeping,
Now feel the blood a-leaping,
High as the spirits of the old Highland men.

Towering in gallant fame,
Scotland my mountain hame,
High may your proud standards gloriously wave!
Land of my high endeavour,
Land of the shining river,
Land of my heart for ever,
Scotland the brave.
High in the misty Highlands,
Out by the purple islands,
Brave are the hearts that beat
Beneath Scottish skies.
Wild are the winds to meet you,
Staunch are the friends that greet you,
Kind as the love that shines from fair maiden's eyes.

Far off in sunlit places,
Sad are the Scottish faces,
Yearning to feel the Kiss
Of sweet Scottish rain.
Where tropic skies are beaming,
Love sets the heart a-dreaming,
Longing and dreaming for the homeland again.

Hot as a burning ember,
Flaming in bleak December
Burning within the hearts
Of clansmen afar!
Calling to home and fire,
Calling the sweet desire,
Shining a light that beckons from every star!

UNKG1004.GIF

Prologue: Re-birth of a nation coming soon

The Empire is falling! I'll be watching. :D

As will I. This should be sweet. :cool:

Incidentally, another version of "Scotland the Brave," sung by John McDermott, is also good. :D It's the exact same tune with different words.

Let Italy boast of her gay gilded waters
Her vines and her bowers and her soft sunny skies
Her sons drinking love from the eyes of her daughters
Where freedom expires amid softness and sighs

Scotland's blue mountains wild where hoary cliffs are piled
Towering in grandeur are dearer tae me
Land of the misty cloud land of the tempest loud
Land of the brave and proud land of the free

Enthroned on the peak of her own highland mountains
Te spirit of Scotia reigns fearless and free
Her green tartan waving o'er blue rock and fountain
And proudly she sings looking over the sea

Here among my mountains wild I have serenely smiled
When armies and empires against me were hurled
Firm as my native rock I have withstood the shock
Of England, of Denmark, or Rome and the world

But see how proudly her war steeds are prancing
Deep groves of steel trodden down in their path
The eyes of my sons like their bright swords are glancing
Triumphantly riding through ruin and death

Bold hearts and nodding plumes wave o'er their bloody tombs
Deepeyed in gore is the green tartan's wave
Shivering are the ranks of steel dire is the horseman's wheel
Victorious in battlefield Scotland the brave

Bold hearts and nodding plumes wave o'er their bloody tombs
Deepeyed in gore is the green tartan's wave
Shivering are the ranks of steel dire is the horseman's wheel

Well scotland start out independant?

The pipes, the pipes are calling ...... in Panama?

The Pipes, The Pipes are Calling
Prelude
6726478.jpg

In 1695, the Scottish Africa and India Company was founded with the vision of economic gain in the model of the British East India Company. Three years later, around 1,500 Scottish men, women and children landed in the Isthmus of Panama, intent on setting up a trading post to cut out the long journey around Cape Horn, and put Scotland at the head of international trade . Instead of an Eden, the settlers soon discovered that their new colony of Darien was a hell-hole. Torrential rains came, "200 inches a year in the area is not uncommon", and with the rain came mosquitoes, malaria and yellow fever. By June 1699, half the colonists were dead. Meanwhile, another 1,300 Scots, unaware of the fate of the first colonists, arrived in Darien. They fared no better. After battling against several Spanish attacks, Fort St. Andrew surrendered in 1700 ending Scotland’s attempt to settle a colony in the New World, sucking up a third of the national funds and ultimately ending all hopes for an independent Scotland. Smothered by English bribes the Parliament in Edinburgh along with Westminster signed the Act of Union in 1707...

*****​

Alex winced as his wife, Anna put the bandage around his head.
"You little baby, Alexander, it's only a scratch"
"Aye, it's easy enough for you to say"
"Aye it is" Anna smiled "I'll go get you some wine". As she left Alex undid the buttons on his jerkin, during the fighting he hadn't noticed it had turned midday, the humidity was ridiculous and apart from his back and thighs, his body was totally sunburned and covered in bites, how he hadn't fallen to yellow fever he put down to good fortune.
"To Arms! To Arms!" cried the sentry, Alex quickly grabbed his musket and painfully ran to the ramparts. He began loading his weapon only to duck as a cannon ball flew overhead crashing into the flagpole at the centre of the fort, sending the tatty blue and white soultire to the mud below. This image didn't boost Alex's confidence much but he jumped up and began loading again, he wasn't doing this for Scotland, he was doing this for Anna and little Margaret god rest her soul, he wasn't going to let some damn Spaniards take what his baby died..... 'god she didn't die for this' he thought 'she came along with ma and da because it would be fun, I thought it would be paradise, a new start for us all, instead it was an early end'.
Alex raised his musket and waited for the enemy to come into the open. It was quiet. A flock of birds flew above the high jungle canopy. It began.

An almighty roar went up as the some three hundred Spanish soldiers charged out of the treeline straight for the fort. The settlers opened fire in a volley but not Alex. He waited. They got closer. A second volley fired. Closer. Alex's eye picked out his target, the officer leading the assault. He aimed carefully and the standard bearer was thrown to the ground. Alex pulled his family claymore from it's scabbard and began running down the ramparts towards the main gate, as he did, Spaniards began to climb the walls. Alex was a man possessed, no one stood in his way as he ran down the line, stabbing, slashing and clubbing as he went. He vision was red, consumed with bloodlust, a dozen fell if not more as he pushed on. Eventually he reached the gate as the Capitán mounted the battlements. He was a large man, a master with a sword, besting all before him, but Alex did not care. He kept going. The Spaniard lowered his pistol and fired, hitting a settler full on in the chest, with a smug grin he turned around only to receive a gun butt to his jaw.

Alex could not control himself, he threw the man to the swampy mud below and followed him. He didn't stop. He kept stabbing and clubbing and punching until all before him was a gorey mess, yet all he saw was the face of his darling Margaret , and as the pain and the love and the anger seeped away he got back up and stumbled back to the battle, this would be a long day.

*****​

The people of Darien celebrated that night, not for victory but for survival in more ways than one, and within two weeks another group of some 2,000 settlers would arrive to help drive the Spanish from the Isthmus all together. Within those two weeks a man would die of his infected wounds with his wife by his side, and she would later return home without a family to a free Scotland, won in blood in the mosquito infested swamps of Central America...

isthmusmap.jpg

Interesting, to say the least. I'm watching this one. :)

Cool!

Ooh, a successful Darien scheme? Neat... but there's still gonna be trouble keeping up with the bear to the south.

Ah, Darien. Not many people know of that failed Scottish colony.

Heck, even I don't know of it.

Will you actually control part of Central America come Victoria's time frame?

Jape said:
The people of Darien celebrated that night, not for victory but for survival in more ways than one, and within two weeks another group of some 2,000 settlers would arrive to help drive the Spanish from the Isthmus all together. Within those two weeks a man would die of his infected wounds with his wife by his side, and she would later return home without a family to a free Scotland, won in blood in the mosquito infested swamps of Central America...

good start! ! :cool:

subscribes

Sweet! I shallt be a watching this one, being Semi-Scottish myself I do hope this goes well. Aye!

Will you 'just' be colonising Darien or will there other 'changes' to this timeline aswell? If yes, I suggest Nova Scotia, hell, with a name like that, it HAS to be Scottish! :D Anyway, a great and emotional start! :D

It WAS scottish Nova Scotia = New Scotland ! ! ! Conquer it I tell thee!

thanks for all the respnoses I didn't expect so much interest at least so early anyway, ok just to set things straight...

.scotland will control panama at the beginning of the game, and this not a EU2-Vic crossover i just thought the whole Darien scheme seemed a good way for scotland to 'break free', i will give a second prelude to just give an idea of the situation between 1700-1840

im not sure about other colonies, if anyone can mention any colonies that the scottish solely owned as many scottish settlers went to places like georgia but ultimately they were 'british'
if anyone can tell me of one or more id b more than willing to add them, not like it could hurt me to give this tiny country more land is it. :D

and you'd be suprised how powerful the scots can get

PS though its just fluff im wondering about a new british flag, should i have a totally new one, just the english flag or keep it, make it a sign that the british see scotland as a key part of the union?

Anywho, thanks for all the repsonses, expect one or two updates friday or saturday

Scotland Rules!!!