• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(5110)

Field Marshal
Jul 29, 2001
tse.dyndns.org
OK, here we have suggestions for Central Asia, mostly contributed by Aetius, so let's give a big hand to him:

casia.jpg

oooh, my! :eek:
That's a mighty nice map you've got there...
I'm not learned enough to comment on the contents as such, but it's really beautiful... :)
One short question though, isn't Qeshm a little too small to fit all the sprites on?

Great map.

2 comments.

1] I think larger territories in Turkestan would be a good thing. After all, whenever military action occurred there, huge chunks of territory changed hands.

2] Split Kashmir into Kashmir in the north, and Jammu in the South. There's a major mountain range dividing the territories.

The map is gorgeous!

As mentioned, Quesm seems small and Kashmir could be split.

My big question is just double-checking on that central dark blob IVO the Himalayas is PTI and not a province to be, yes?

I like the new placement of the Caspian and the Aral, and the addition of the rivers.

That said, this is my least favorite of your new maps (which isn't saying much, since I have loved all the other ones). I'd split my complaints into two categories:

1) I don't like the PTI distribution.
2) I think there are too many small provinces.

I'll only address the first one in this post. My suggestions are:
  • The eastern Tian Shan should be PTI. This PTI should separate Altishahr and the remaining non-PTI Tian Shan from Moghulistan, and should extend eastward to separate Dzungaria from Uighuristan.
  • There should be a blob of PTI separating Kashmir from the provinces to its west, representing the Hundu Kush. Kashmir should only be accesible from the south, and by at most one province on its north, which could represent the pass through the Kush.
I also have some reservations about the Hotan-Ladakh connections - it existed, but I'm not sure it's important enough to warrant a connection in-game. I don't believe the Uighurs or Mongols ever considered invading India via that route.

Here are some maps to illustrate my points:

This one very clearly shows what I'm talking about. You can look at this map and easily point at the Himalaya, Hindu Kush, Taklamakan, and Tien Shan PTIs:
srmap1.jpg

Probably my favorite of all the maps, in terms of visual clarity:
silkroadmaplge.jpg

This third map (too wide to look decent as part of a post) has the lower route to India you put in, but it still has the more western one as well. Note once again the routes around (not through) the Tien Shan range.

This link contains a VERY detailed map of ancient sites around the Taklamakan. Note that everything stops cold in the Tian Shan range to the north and the Kun Lun range to the south.

These political maps are not very pretty, but they clearly show how any time the Tarim and Dzungaria basins were split between two groups, the divide always fell right on the Tian Shan.

Last edited:
Yakman said:
I think larger territories in Turkestan would be a good thing. After all, whenever military action occurred there, huge chunks of territory changed hands.
Yes, precisely. I would suggest roughly half as many provinces in the areas north of Persia. I don't know exactly how they should be condensed, but I know that empires in this area should rise quickly and fall quickly, and that suggests really big provinces.

The size of your provinces in western China give a good sense of what size provinces I would suggest for this region.

I think this map is great as it is! Finally no more Kirgizistan and Tagikistan...

PLease remember that:
- city of Ferghana valley is Kokand (hopefully the Kokand Khanate will be added some time later :confused: )
- Samarkand, Bukhara, Kashgar, Khwarizm, Ferghana, Termiz, Urgench, Khiva should be very rich towns.
- Khwarizm and Urgench should have cotton, Bukhara textile (carpets), Samarkand porcelain, Ferghana grain, Termiz wine, Kashgar spices.
- the course of Amudarya river was different: it flowed into caspian sea, not aral, and passed through Urgench (KonyaUrgench in actual Turkmenistan, not Urgench in actual Uzbekistan).
- Ferghana, Termiz, Bukhara and Samarkand should be tagik/persian culture; no more mongol culture in the area please.

Garbon said:
I must agree that they are way too many small provinces on this map.
Afghanistan simply does not need to be so detailed.

yes, maybe afghnaistan it's too crowded...

also I was thinking that too many provinces (in every area, not only in central asia) would create enormous problems for badboy...

I have to agree on less detail as you approach Siberia. These were fairly empty chunks of land that changed hands a number of times.

Also, is "Baluchichunk" really the correct name? It sounds hilarious to me, like a chunk of Baluchi.

Make change suggestions i.e. merge province A with province B. The map is in no way perfect, but without knowing what exactly needs to be changed its a bit difficult discuss the merits of each change.

Cagliostro said:
I have to agree on less detail as you approach Siberia. These were fairly empty chunks of land that changed hands a number of times.

Also, is "Baluchichunk" really the correct name? It sounds hilarious to me, like a chunk of Baluchi.
I was waiting how long you guys would take until you spotted that ^_^ I didn't think Baluchistan was adequate as it was too big compared to the province in question.

name suggestions?

Aetius said:
Make change suggestions i.e. merge province A with province B. The map is in no way perfect, but without knowing what exactly needs to be changed its a bit difficult discuss the merits of each change.
I don't really have the expertise to suggest specifics. I can say things like "combine Tashkent, Soghd, Talas, and Chui into one province", but I really don't know if that is the most logical consolidation. All I know is that gameplay concerns demand far fewer, larger provinces.

doktarr said:
I don't really have the expertise to suggest specifics. I can say things like "combine Tashkent, Soghd, Talas, and Chui into one province", but I really don't know if that is the most logical consolidation. All I know is that gameplay concerns demand far fewer, larger provinces.

Soghd and Ferghana are both in the Ferghana valley so it can't be really combined with Tashkent. Chui and Talas could be combined into one province. The problem is what to call it in that case.

The Syrdarya river doesn't really have to go that far inland, just end the river at the nub of land out of Sogd and merge it with Ferghana.

The river doesn't really pose much of a military obstacle in the Ferghana Valley.

Sounds about right geographically, though Ferghana is reasonably rich and sort of hilly, so I don't see why 2 provinces is out of the question.
Isn't really needed though...

On the other hand, correct me if I'm wrong but Khujand was seperated from the rest of Ferghana by conquest ne?