• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

stnylan

Compulsive CommentatAAR
128 Badges
Aug 1, 2002
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Deus Vult
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
Why Somerset? Well mostly because I happen to live in Somerset and I thought it could be amusing. Just a couple of notes before I start.

Firstly text like this will be In Character

Text like this will be OOC Game notes

Unless people really don't like either choice in which case I'll work out something different.

Secondly, the default is for Somerset to start with a certain Asclettin de Mauvoisin. However, a Google search merely turns up a post by Solmyr back about a year ago saying he is fictional. Turning to my trusty translation of the Domesday Book I decided to replace Asclettin and his Mauvoisin dynasty with one of the more extensive landholders of Somerset: Roger de Courseulles. Now, I was able to find almost nothing out about this man, which is probably just as well. However, he had lots of land in Somerset, and precious little anywhere else, which seems to fit.

So, here goes nothing...

A History of Lord Roger de Courseulles
Brother William de Ligny

His Birth - His Early Life - With William - The Great Battle

Praise be to God the Father in highest heaven, to Christ the Great Redeemer, and to the Holy Ghost, for gifting us with the life of Lord Roger de Courseulles, a man most pious in all his deeds and with God ever in his thoughts. For even when pressed all about by enemies on a foreign shore his first concern was for the health of his soul and the souls of the men under his command, and through his holy prayers his enemies were deceived by their own temptations and this virtuous Lord was spared injury and was raised to new heights as a mark of his divine favour. May the spirit infuse my quill with holy inspiration and Christ fill my heart and mind so that I may write a true history of the life of this man, so that he be forever remembered.

Lord Roger was born to a noble family in the fair land of Normandie, along the lovely coast of Calvados. There is a manor alongside the river Suelles where it runs into the sea, which his father held from the Lord William. The land there is fine and fertile, bearing many crops and feeding many animals, rich in all good things. It was in this bounty of nature that the young Lord grew up without knowledge of any wickedness, so holy were his parents. From the earliest age he showed a love of learning, and his father considered placing his child in the church. Alas, the death of his brother to a winter’s illness denied him the chance of taking the cloth, for the Lord clearly had tasks other than prayerful contemplation for his servant on earth.

Though he took his brother’s place, the young Lord retained a keen interest in learning. There are many Lords that would scorn such scholarly pursuits, but his wise father knew not to deny his son’s talents and ensured his love of learning was watered with pious instruction. Thus the young Lord came to know the whole of the Bible, and could recite the entire Psalter without prompting by his fourteenth birthday. He also studied under careful supervision the holy Fathers of the Church, and read the lives of many saints. Most of all he was taken by the Life of St Gerard of Aurillac, a lord who led a life most holy despite the many iniquities of the time in which he lived, after the death of the Emperor Charles when vassal abandoned lord, heathens rode free through Christendom, and the world was overturned in war.

It may be said that these holy pursuits caused the young Lord to neglect some of his more worldly instructions, for he was ever more hungry for the learned wisdom of St Augustine than he was interested in swordplay. However it is not a just charge, for though as a Christian he had no love of warcraft the young Lord was an able hand at the hunt and greatly proficient at the art of horsemanship. Even Duke William (as he was then) complimented him at his handling of his mount. This was matched by a keen interest in the breeding of horses, for the young Lord always had an eye for the best characteristics of an animal. Most keenly he sought signs of a stable mind and a stout heart, for these were the qualities he most desired in a mount in battle. Other Lords might choose wilder beasts that displayed a fiery temperament, but the Lord Roger had no time for such pretensions. Due to this and other cares he was never thrown by his mount, even in battle, and thus avoided many injuries of chance that can afflict the body.

Pleased at his skill with horses and valuing his keen mind, the Duke William (as he was then) did him the great honour of making him a knight in his sixteenth year, and thereafter often requested his presence at Court. The young Lord Roger soon became a constant companion of the Duke, going on his many campaigns and expeditions, acquitting himself well at whatever task he set his hand to. It was thus that he accompanied the Duke William when he fought against the Lord of Brittany in the company of the faithless cur, and was also present when the selfsame treacherous Harold, that odious stain on the honour of England, swore an allegiance he had no intention to keep, condemning his soul forever to eternal torment.

The Duke William, caring for the needs of so worthy and trusted a companion as the Lord Roger gave his permission to marry the Lady Alberenda, a ward of his and heir to a manor along the river Seine. They were married in the Cathedral of Rouen and the Duke gifted to them a further well-placed manor near the coast. Some muttered that these were unearned favours, but did so in private for none would dare publicly criticise the Duke William, fair Lord of Christendom.

It was after Epiphany that word reached Rouen of the death of King Edward, and all mourned the passing of that pious man, who was well-known at the Court for the time he spent there in his youth, and well-liked. Soon after word came that the impious Harold had foresworn himself and usurped the King William’s rightful throne. Seeking to secure the support of the Bishop of Rome he sent several men under the Bishop Odo to plead his cause, among them the young Lord. At the steps of St Peter he so eloquently made the new King’s case that His Holiness most readily granted a Papal banner to lead before our forces so that the whole world would know the righteousness of the cause of the King William.

The ships and supplies gathered, and the King William then entrusted the Lord Roger with the task of ensuring a full third of his own troops were properly supplied and provisioned. His study had made the young Lord most adept at all sorts of book-keeping, and so it was that the troops whose care were entrusted to his care left the lands of Normandie better equipped than nearly all others. It was at this time that the Lord of Heaven gave us a sign of His favour: a bright light in the sky leading from Normandie to the shores of England, showing us the way.

So protected by divine favour we crossed the Narrow Sea without loss – an unheard of thing, given the great many ships that set sail in this grand and holy enterprise. Upon landing Lord Roger told me that the King William first set about ensuring the defence of the camp by constructing a wooden castle. Then he set about burning the boats constructed with so much difficulty in the preceding months. If any but Lord Roger claimed this I would have had great difficulty believing such a thing, but no false word has ever passed the Lord Roger’s lips and I have spoken to many who confirm the story. I once had the temerity to question the Lord Roger why the King would do such a strange thing, and he explained to me that it was so the soldiers would have their hearts and minds fixed upon victory, and not turning hindward to defeat – and also he claimed because of his fidelity in the Lord who had offered so many great signs of our victory.

Of those signs were the absence of the usurper and his troops at our landing – for the swine-herder Harold had turned out his brother most unjustly. This Tostig had returned with his friend and conspirator the King of Norwary, Harald, who had fought with the Greek Emperors, or so it is said. The blasphemous ingrate had marched north to confront this threat and fought a mighty battle at a place called Stamford, where he killed his brother and the Norwegian King, and thus adding fratricide and regicide to his many crimes. He returned to London in great haste, and so confident was he of victory and so scornful of the folk of Normandie that he did not even gather his full strength, but marched out with only what he had. Thus the Lord in Heaven led this Saxon dog down the path of the Pharoah.

The armies met on a hill that the Saxons call Senlac in their uncouth tongue, not far from the port of Hastings. The false King had drawn up his forces on the hill, blocking the road that led to London. The true King drew up his forces ready for the attack, since the coward showed no inclination to descend. Three attacks were made, and were all beaten back, for the hill gave good defence to the heathens. However, after the third attack the Lord God made the Saxons’ hearts betray them, and they leapt forward thinking the men of Normandie beaten. Their formation thus broken the Lord William, soon to be King of All England, ordered another attack, and poured all his forces into the breach. The Saxon army was shattered and there was a great slaughter. The impostor was himself slain from an arrow than fell to the sky and pierced him in the eye. Thus the Lord God indicated his judgement upon all men who break their oaths. Upon the sight the King would command an abbey be built to mark forever the place where his throne was won, and to give thanks to the aid of the Lord Almighty who had made possible the great Victory.

Thus was the Kingdom of England restored to its rightful King.

Wonderful! A stnylan story in CK! And a very promising opening, too. I was fascinated to read this (very convincing) piece of blatant medieval propaganda, but, knowing next to nothing about the actual causes of the Norman invasion, I'm interested to know to what extent William had "just cause" in reality - in your own opinion, for example! Anyway, I look forward to a great read.

Outstanding! A new stnylan AAR. This I will read with pleasure. I like the form you have decided to use - as Farq calls it, "blatant medieval propaganda." And you covered Hastings extremely well. So let's get those heathens under control and see how Roger takes his new lands. Excellent start!

Farquharson Thank you Farquharson. As to the cause of the Invasion it depends which histories you read, some think that William had just cause and others think he was just a land-hungry despot. The whole problem arose because of the Danish conquest back in 1016, and the fact Edward the Confessor had no heirs. Personally I think William had probably more a claim than Harold (who had no claim whatsoever, just the virtue of being the most powerful landowner). The only other scion of the House of Alfred - Edgar Atheling - was iirc at the time a minor in the Court of Hungary of all places.

Oh, and blatant mediaeval propaganda? Surely Brother William count not tell anything but the pure unvarnished truth? ;)

Solmyr All I did was change the name of the de Mauvoisin dynasty to de Courseulles, and change the character's name to Roger (in a savegame). I'm not competent enough to do anything more complicated. What's nice about him is that he only holds two manors outside Somerset, and if one ignores the biggies like the King and Count of Mortain he has at least as many manors as anyone else, and a good deal more than most.

Northern Viking Many thanks for stopping by.

coz1 My thanks. I like mediaeval chronicles, I guess it shows.

Update due just as soon as I do the final typo sweep, and so on and so forth

Great start! I like your writing stile stnylan and so I will certainly follow this one :) !

Harold was the rightful ruler of England beacause he was elected to be so by the english lords.

Really all I can though is, stupid Edward the Confessor for having no sons. The Normans were all his fault really :D.

Roger de Courseulles (27) 4/8/7/9 - 100/100 - Lustful, Scholarly Theologian

- the Coronation - the Shire of Somerset - Birth of Felicia -

On Christmas Day, in the Year of our Lord 1066, King William was crowned in London at Westminster Abbey. This grand church was built by his saintly predecessor King Edward. There the good King sat in judgement over his subjects, old and new alike, granting estates to his many followers. He took away the lands of the Saxons who had opposed him and who had sworn fealty to the foul usurper, and gave their lands to his followers. Indeed so many Saxons had died at Battle that most of these lands were now leaderless and needed governing. However the lands of the Saxons who stayed loyal he confirmed to them in charters. Chief among these were two brothers, sons of Earls of old, Morcar and Edwin. These two had spoken out against Harold, and had been forced to flee when the serpent marched north. King William restored to them their estates, and added many more, in addition granting them then ancient earldoms of Northumbria and Lancaster, and they were given charge of the whole country north of the Trent.

The King was generous to all his followers, and to Lord Roger he gave many estates, some in the lands of Dorsetshire and Wiltshire, but mostly in Somersetshire. Indeed the King gave over the general running of the Shire to the Lord Roger, and entrusted him with the special duty of overseeing the many estates granted there of the churches, for many parts of that land were held by the churches and monasteries and bishops. It shows the wisdom of the King that he gave such a delicate office to one so faithful to the Church and to its teachings.

The Shire of Somerset lies in the western part of England. The chief town is called Taunton, and it lies midway between the cities of Bristol and Exeter, and is part of the See of Wells. Taunton itself lies in a pleasant vale between two lines of hills, the northernmost being called the Quantocks in the local tongue, and the more southerly the Black Downs (Downs being a Saxon appellation for rough upland – it is a sign of the barbarity of the Saxon speech that it names things so). The Vale of Taunton is very fertile, watered by the pleasant waters of the Tone and is filled with many prosperous villages. The river runs out of the Vale to the East and then turns north where it comes to the town of Bridgwater – the last place the river can be crossed before it runs into the Levels and thence to the sea.

Beyond the town of Bridgwater one enters an area of marshy land called the Levels, for it is very flat, and sometimes the sea can flood inland many miles. The Levels stretch north to the Mendip hills, and inland until near the town of Ilchester. Within the Levels there rises a mighty hill, a Tor as it is called, and upon its solitary slopes stands the Great Monastery of Glastonbury, founded by St Joseph of Arimathea, he in whose grave Christ our Lord was buried after His Crucifixion. For it is said that the Saint came hither to this distant corner of the Roman Empire as was, to bring the Word of Christ to the barbarians, and there he died. When I first set eyes upon it all the buildings were still wooden (the Saxons prefer wood to stone, further proof of their backward nature), dating to the time of Saint Dunstan when he reformed the abbey. The land of the Levels is mostly poor, but the surrounding hills are filled with sheep, and the city of Wells on the northern flank (from where the Bishop makes his seat) is well known for its fine Wool.

South of the Levels and east of Taunton is an unremarkable plain, less fecund than the Vale but far more wholesome than the Levels, it is mainly an area for the growing of grains and raising of cattle. The chief town in that part of the shire is that of Yeovil, and the burgesses there are often in dispute with those of Taunton due to jealousy of Taunton’s rights and privileges.

Seeing no reason to change past traditions Lord Roger made his home in the town of Taunton, though he frequently visited the many parts of the shire and his many estates. His wife, the Lady Alberenda, travelled to meet him in the Spring, for after the Coronation she had returned to their Manors in Normandie. This pious lady was most accomplished at taking the pulse of court, and always supported her husband in his holy work, acting always to his advantage and using her graceful charms to further his aims. Lord Roger once said to me that she had a special kind of sight that let her see through falsehood and deceit, and ears that could hear even the faintest of wicked whispers.

Chancellor Alberenda de Couseulles* (17) 4/12/9/9 - Grey Eminence

She was accompanied by two of her cousins, who also served as her ladies, so that she would not be without civilised company in this rustic land. They were Heria Basset and Emma de Leyburne. I accompanied this party, for I had recently been made the Lady Alberenda’s confessor, although I felt most unsuited to the task being so recently ordained and young in years. Fresh from the monastery I thought her attendants vain and overly concerned with their looks and clothes not befitting good Christian ladies, and I wished they followed the sober example of their Mistress, though I kept my peace at that time.

We had taken a ship from Normandie and had landed in the port of Southampton, and travelled slowly to Taunton, for the Lady Alberenda was with child. First we travelled to Salisbury, and then mostly westward through the town of Yeovil where we were forced to stay for two weeks due to bad weather. The folk of that town already were grumbling that Lord Roger had chosen Taunton over themselves. We were sheltered there by Hugh, vassal of William of Eu, and he told us that outside the town many of the thegns (that is, Saxon landowners, for they use no knightly language) had spoken well of Lord Roger.

Finally we came to Taunton in late April. Lord Roger was delighted to see his wife. It was clear however that a great deal of work needed to be done, for King William had settled many lands all about the country, and had entrusted Lord Roger to seeing that his wishes were carried out. There was no open rebellion as there occured in some other places, but the country was still mostly resentful of the Battle. Lord Roger, when discussing these matters at a meeting I was privileged to attend, said that we must be like parents to wayward children, stern yet kindly, bringing them gently in from their error and setting them on the straight path to salvation.

The Lady Alberenda remained for the most part at the town because of her condition, and answered there many petitions in her husband’s stead while he was about the business of his estates and that of the Shire. Lady Emma also busied herself, taking part in the managing the household, and often accompanied Lord Roger as he visited this manor or that – for she was shrewd and skilled in deciding what was good and what was not. In contrast Lady Heria contented herself with repeating the latest gossip from court or feasting her eyes on the bodies of young men – though she was careful never to do this when the Lord Roger was nearby.

Steward Emma de Leyburne (25) 4/3/6/11 - Selfish, Just, Fortune Builder
Spy Heria Basset (33) 6/6/5/11 - Selfish, Just, Midas Touch

In the autumn of that year Lord Alberenda safely delivered her first child, a daughter. Lord Roger was kept busy with the business of the Shire, and being so engaged, and with Lady Alberenda being taken up with the matter of childbirth, even more fell onto the shoulders of Lady Emma. After two weeks the child seemed healthy and was named Felicia, taking the name of the Lady Alberenda’s mother. At the celebrations Lord Roger granted Lady Emma the use and revenues of a Manor at a place called Fivehead, for none could claim that the Lord Roger did not take care to reward those who served him faithfully.

Felicia de Courseulles 4/5/7/9
Stewerd served for many years (Emma de Leyburne +50 Prestige)

*As I have kept the Mauvoisin set-up, just changed the dynasty name (and Roger's), Roger starts off married to this lady, and I guess unlike every other lady in CK she decided it was OK to use her huband's name. She also began with Court Education but this converted in January.

And I sincerely hope if any of you fine folks come and visit Somerset you don't use Brother William as a guide.

So there I go and post and discover more people have posted in the interim.

GoblinCookie If anyone was the 'rightful heir' it was probably Edgar Atheling, but right does not make might. 1066 is the year when England is fought over like hyeanas fighting over a juicy carcass.

DoS Cheers

I always enjoy the chronicle style and this is very well done. The writing is very stylish. I especially like the frequent references to religion in this, anyone who has read a real chronicle knows how accurate that is.

With England conquered, I mean rightly reclaimed from usurpers, I wonder how Lord Roger will relate to William the Bastard. He seems a loyal subject so far and the chronicler praises William so I'm guessing rebellion isn't in the cards.

Can you post a screen shot? I spend most of my time in the east so my English geography skills are sadly lacking. :D

Looking forward to more!

Felicia ought to have pretty good numbers after her education. That 9 should definitely go up with the right tutors. ;)

And lay low those Saxon dogs - except for Becket's relatives of course. Brother William might not like it, but there are a few Saxons that are worthy of the King's trust...and Roger's. :D

Really like this style, stnylan. An excellent mixture of narrative and gameplay so far.

coz1 said:
And lay low those Saxon dogs - except for Becket's relatives of course. Brother William might not like it, but there are a few Saxons that are worthy of the King's trust...and Roger's. :D

Really like this style, stnylan. An excellent mixture of narrative and gameplay so far.

Saxon Dogs :eek: :mad: ! I'm a Saxon and an Ex-Duke of them, so watch what you say :D ! Anyway I especially liked the description of the countryside stnylan, you really made me want to visit Glastonbury, sounds amazing and I will see if I can get there maybe in the summer. So I have to agree with coz1 on the mixing of narrative & gameplay shares in the AAR.

coz1 She's not bad is she? But you have to live in fear of the Hopeless Spender! Brother William is, shall we say, set in his ways. Besides, if you think he doesn't like the Saxons just wait till you hear what he's got to hear about some other people.

DoS Good to hear. I wans't sure that would work, but since I live here I decided to go with it. If you do come over drop me a PM - Glastonbury is amazing if at times a little too commercialised for my taste. Of course the levels are mostly drained now - though a good downpour could make you think twice about that.

Paranoid Tsar Thank you. As I said earlier I like mediaeval chronicles, there is something very engaging about them.

However I must report that at your request I finally, after a great length of time and after much timidity, delaying, standing around, and just general laziness I finally got of my arse and found a site to host and mucked around with a screen shot or two. You are therefore entirely responsible for the fact I was up so late it was early, and therefore for the deep shadows under my eyes. I should have done so a long time ago. ;)

So here are two screenshots for you. I don't intend to make a habit of them however, if only because of the time it takes to present things to my satisfaction.

1066england5fr.jpg

I will point out that these provinces only bear a passing resemblance to the English counties - and Somerset is sadly drawn according the 1974 Act monstrosity that lopped the top off. Alas.

1068britain2bm.jpg

A political map of southern Britain and Ireland. The green borders are obviously the Duchy borders. Somerset actually owes fealty to Cantebury, but I decided not to try and represent that because it got too cluttered.

A further update once I've done a final edit.

- a Discussion on Bede - the Irish Petition - a Debate - War in Ireland - Birth of Michael -

The winters in England are very wet, and not healthy for the young, so Lady Alberenda and Lord Roger spent winter at the Court of King William, who was at that time in Normandie setting his son up as Duke now that he was going to be greatly concerned with matters in England. Gratefully I accompanied the Lord and his wife, for I had taken a dislike to the climate of this new land, with its many drips and mists. It was with a glad heart I saw the fair land of Normandie again, with her honest earth and sparkling shore. It was on that voyage, however, that I was first had a proper conversation with the Lord Roger, for he sought me out questioning whether I had read or heard of a work by an English monk called Bede. I confessed to him that I did not, and he told me that this Venerable Monk had, before the coming of the Northmen (from whom Lord Roger, King William, and all other Norman folk are of course descended) written a history of the conversion of the English peoples to the Christian faith. He had heard of this work from the monks at the Great Monastery, but their copy had become corrupted through neglect and was in a pitiful state. Lord Roger told me that it was the same state in which the Church in England was, and I readily agreed, for there was little learning in the Saxon priests, just poorly remembered lines. Lord Roger asked of me whether the monastery of Bek (where I had been a novice) might have a copy of the work, for by reading how the Saxons came to faith he hoped to be able to learn how to ensure their resoration. Alas I had to express my ignorance, but at that time I marvelled that this holy man was prepared to go to such lengths for so rude folk. An ill thought, and I later confessed it, did not Christ himself preach to lepers? I tell this to give example of how he was interested in the knowing of things, and how even at that early time he had set his mind on restoring the Glory of the Great Monastery, a purpose which was to consume his whole life.

It was at that time that an Irish Lord came to King William’s court. His name was Aed O’Neill, and he called himself a king – though that means nothing since every shepherd with his hut in Ireland called himself a king. The whole country is very poor, and even the Lords think nothing of bedding in the straw down with their animals like the meanest serf. This Aed however claimed he was the Lord of the whole region of Tiregan, though from his dress you would think he was no more than a villein. He came to the good King William with a petition. He had recently married, but his wife had betrayed him and given his castle over to a rival Lord when he was out seeing to his farms. Now he begged the King to give him aid to restore to him his lands, and in return he would do homage to King William.

King William took counsel with his Lords, some saying that he should throw this rustic out and have nothing to do with him, others scenting the chance of glory urging him to bring war and destruction to the land of Ireland. Also at this gathering was the papal legate, Lanfranc, and he urged King William to take up this claim, not for war or conquest (though they surely would result) but for Holy Mother Church. The lands of Ireland had long been estranged from the Church, and they held to many wicked practices, unlike in England where the Church, though suffering from long neglect, had never erred in Christian teaching. Then Lord Roger spoke in support of this worthy prelate, describing how the Saxons told of a great Synod that took place nearly four hundred years ago (this was not long after the Saxons had been brought into to Light of Christ). They where they were confused by the varying practices of Rome and the heathen Irish, and they called the Synod to find the right path. When the evidence was presented before them they saw immediately righteousness of the St Peter, and they threw out the pagan practises of the Irish. He said this was all recounted in a book (the same one he had spoken of to me), and that were but a copy to be found it would be seen that the Irish were also bound by this same Synod, though they denied it. Then the prelate of Peter commended my Lord Roger for his study and said that copies of this work, and letters from those times, were kept safe in Rome and plainly stated that the Irish were Schismatics cut off from Rome, and that for the cure of their own souls they needed to be brought back within the arms of Mother Church.

Hearing all this King William summoned Aed of Tiregan, and laid before this choice. If he would give homage and submit himself and his lands the rule of St Peter, and pursue the goal of seeing all of Ireland rejoined with the same, then William would furnish him an expedition that would reclaim his lands. If he was unwilling to do any of these things then he was to depart, and William would ban any of his Lords from aiding him. This Aed then acceded to these conditions, and swore oaths on the relics of the saint, and did homage, and he remained at William’s court until such time as this expedition could depart.

King William gets a claim on Tir Eoghain

My lord Roger departed soon after, braving the seas, for he was unwilling to stay away from his Shire for too long a time, being as the country was not yet fully settled. Once again his lady followed him with the arrival of Spring, and again she was blessed with child.

War came in the summer, for King William had dispatched a herald to Tiregan to first try peaceful means to bring about resolution, as all good Christians must. He entrusted this task to a worthy Knight of his court called Ranulf Flambard. The Irish though had no comprehension of what they faced, so tricked they were by their so-called priests. They set upon this messenger of peace, intent on killing him, but he rode them down and made his escape. When the King heard of this dreadful assault he commanded that the land of Ireland was to be treated like that of any pagan, for they had forsaken all Christian fellowship.

The pitiful Irish had no chance against the expedition that was sent forth, and King William himself led it, so eager was he to right the wrong done to his herald. He scattered the tiny army that was set against him, and the Irish fled into their hills. From there they made cowardly attacks and ambushes, and so killed Aed O’Neill. King William set about reducing the country, laying waste to the whole land. He himself left again for London, but he gave the country over to his herald, Ranulf Flambard, and made him Lord and Sheriff of those Lands. It was not until the end of winter that the last of the Irish were subdued by long hunger, and thereafter the Lord Ranulf set about the holy task of bringing this land back to the faith.

It was while these things were going on, after the harvest, that Lord Roger gave Lady Emma de Leyburne a second Manor, this one being at a place called Doverhay on the coast, in recognition of the many hours of toil she had given during that busy time. I must admit to God that when the charter was read out I saw a look of envy on the face of Lady Heria Basset, and I was glad of it. For although Lady Emma remained vain and was desirous of many pretty things she never stinted in aiding Lord Roger and never became an expense, whereas Lady Heria remained dissolute and unwilling to do any good work, and it was pleasing to me to see those mindful of their duties get just reward.

Steward wishes reward and honours - do so generously (Emma de Leybrune Gold +6 Prestige +25)

As the nights began to lengthen we all grew concerned for the health of Lady Alberenda and for her child, but at last, three nights before All Saints, she delivered a son, whom they named, after the messenger of GodLord Roger urged her winter once again in Normandie, but the labour had left her exhausted, and she did not have the strength to endure a sea crossing. My lord sent her instead to London, where at least she would have company, and the babe went with her. But he kept with him at Taunton his daughter, for she brought him much joy with her comings and goings, and he took a keen interest in all her affairs. They joined his wife at London for the celebrations of Christmas and then he returned to Taunton, but left behind his beloved daughter as the weather had turned foul and he did not wish to endanger her health on the road.

Michael de Courseulles 4/6/6/9

Game Notes
Research initially to Soft Leather, Road building, and the 7 Liberal Arts.
Jan 1068 Discovery: Road-building in Somerset - switch to Stonepit

Nice AAR.

I believe the Atheling was in fact in Britain and had been since 1057. However, since he was a minor and the Leofricsons were weakened at the time, the Godwinesons found it easy to seize power. I wouldn't say they had a strong claim, since I don't believe they could trace ancestry back to Cerdic and the succession had passed to brothers or sons since Egbert, but as the king's brothers-in-law and the strongest regional power it's hardly surprising they got the nod.

every shepherd with his hut in Ireland called himself a king
High-larious!

Lay low those Irish dogs...wait a minute - there I go again - and I'm part Irish (or once was so I am told.) Just trying to stay in character with Brother William, DoS. ;)

This AAR is actually quite instructive in the sense that as you post the actual game portion below the writing, we can see what goes into turning a game action into a narrative. And of course, you do it so well, stnylan. Excellent! :D

Bah, I'll stop my AAR against these writing skills I feel so unworthy... ;) . Nay I won't stop it, but I praise your writing especially the most excellent excuses for Williams war mongering on the poor shepherds of Ireland :) ! I'm looking forward on seeing how the story develops.

@coz1: :D

This is simply excellent - the style of writing and whole atmosphere of the AAR is just right for the genre. I especially liked the excursus on Bede. :)

Just to pitch in on the whole "rightful heir" issue, any claim that Harald might have had would derive from him supposedly being named heir by Edward shortly before the latter's death. I believe this is only mentioned in the second book of the Vita Edwardis, not exactly a reliable source. William had a somewhat better case through his family ties to Edward.

In any case, William won and Harald didn't, which in itself would be considered an excellent legitimization of William's position in medieval terms. A trial by combat in macroscale, as it were.

Edgar the Aetheling also had a claim through family ties, but it seems like nobody really took him very seriously, and it's very likely that he himself didn't have any particular wish to pursue his claim, either. After returning from exile in Scotland, he spend a couple of years at the court of William the Conqueror, after which he is reported to have left for Sicily at the head of a group of knights.