• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sir Humphrey said:
OOC: What evidence do you have to show that RADAR was a supposed american invention?

Thanks Addy. You answered it wonderfully. :)

Humpy, I thought you'd know by now I ALWAYS check my facts before posting. :D

Last edited:
OOC: Just wanted to check the facts, to avoid to boisterous national debating breaking out.

OOC: That's why I like hanging out in this joint, always learning stuff. Braedy, what i said was true... from a certain point of view. ;)

Now we have two different, but correct, views. Let that be a lesson for us all in this wonderful world that we share. [feels queezy and runs to bathroom to throw up]

Oh, sorry fellas, don't know where that hippie shit came from! Lets get back to parochial infighting. :D

Braedonnal said:
Thanks Addy. You answered it wonderfully. :)

Humpy, I thought you'd know by now I ALWAYS check my facts before posting. :D

No prob.

It looks like if anything, several nations developed radar, but IMO Britain probably developed the best system around it. Equipment's not nearly as effective if there isn't a system to handle the information. ;)

Now, what infighting? We've done budget, what's left? Who gets use or RADAR first?

Start a civil war?

30 Novemberr 1936
War Office

It was probably only the third or fourth time that Stanley had visited Sir Cyril in his office and the first where he had actually provided warning of his arrival. They sat in the inner office at the small conference table along with Sir Cyril’s adjutant, there to take notes if required. Stanley sipped his tea as Sir Cyril ran the Prime Minister over the proposed transfer of two divisions from Aldershot to Singapore in line with the Army’s 1936 White Paper.

“The official establishment of the 15th “Scottish” Division today brings an end to our expansion program and as such it is time for two units to be sent to Singapore as was planned back in January. However, I’d like to maintain the current two garrison units in Singapore even though they were supposed to be decommissioned at this time.”

Stanley stirred in some more cream, “That shouldn’t be a problem. If it proves problematic later we can always reconsider. But tell me, what about the Aldershot Army Command, I hear the upgrade is complete?”

Sir Cyril waited for his adjutant to hand him the briefing paper. He scanned it to ensure it was the final copy and then passed it to the Prime Minister. “The upgrade was an overhaul of how the command unit communicated with its units in the field. Additional telephone engineers and operators were attached and wireless sets were improved. We also beefed up its defensive units.”

Stanley scanned the document. Sir Cyril wondered how much of the actual details he took in and how much of his perusal was just for show. After a couple of seconds Stanley nodded and handed the report back to Sir Cyril. “An increase in motorised transport as well. All part of the Army’s efforts at increased mobility?”

Sir Cyril was impressed, “Yes sir. The updated infantry divisions with Engineers can move at around six miles an hour. It’s imperative that the HQ unit can not only keep in contact with them but also keep up with them on the move.”

“Hmm, makes sense. And I suppose that now is the time to be building these units?”

Sir Cyril knew a loaded question when he heard it, “Yes it is. HQ units are notoriously hard to establish. The actual equipment is expensive while the training of a command staff is exhaustive. Lord Kitchener spent six months to a year trying to organise an effective command structure in France and during that time overall strategy was defensive by necessity. By setting up the units now we provide ourselves with strategic flexibility and a greatly increased skills base in lower to middle ranked officers. The effects are two fold.”

Stanley nodded, “Well, in light of the infantry run finishing we now have substantial resources to apply to new tasks.”

”So we have approval to begin working up two more command staffs?”

”In a week or so. I want to wait until the latest industrial expansion project out in India finishes, after that we’ll have the required resources to begin. In the meantime I’ll be putting the additional production capacity into upgrading existing units.” [OOC: Upgrades = 9.5]

“And our Armour?”

“Sorry but no, perhaps when the HQ’s finish. We don’t have the resources at the moment and I’m getting strong advice from the Parliamentary Committee for War to wait until we have better tanks to use. I know this is not what you want to hear but that’s how it has to be at the moment.”

Sir Cyril was disappointed at the rejection of his advice and wondered who in the War Committee was providing advice counter to his own staff. He knew Hore-Belisha, the Minister for Transport, was friends with Liddell-Hart and had been quite vocal in his comments on the army but he figured there had to be someone more senior behind it, but who was a mystery to him.

“I’m sorry to hear that sir. As I’ve said in the past, our armoured forces are non existent at the moment and even after the units form it will take us years to learn how best to fight them. Even redundant models would do, as long as we could be practicing with them.”

“Don’t think I’m not sympathetic Sir Cyril but my hands are tied, financially. We just don’t have the resources to do it. Perhaps in six months or a year.”

Ah, so Chamberlain was behind it. Sir Cyril made a mental note, he would have to be very careful around the Chancellor. “Your support is reassuring Mr Prime Minister, thank you.”

Last edited:
How is the health of dear old Macdonald holding up?

Adaml83 said:
OOC: Was that supposed to be 30 November?

OOC: Oops, fixed. :eek:o

Now, if i can just draw everyone's attention to the poll at the top of the HOI2 AAR forum. We are entered in the co-operative category and I encourage everyone to vote for their favourite (well, for us anyway)! So get in there and vote away!

Cheers,
Duritz.
[It's a formal occasion you know! :D ]

Of course. Is there any doubt?

Duritz said:
OOC: That's why I like hanging out in this joint, always learning stuff. Braedy, what i said was true... from a certain point of view. ;)

Now we have two different, but correct, views. Let that be a lesson for us all in this wonderful world that we share. [feels queezy and runs to bathroom to throw up]

Oh, sorry fellas, don't know where that hippie shit came from! Lets get back to parochial infighting. :D

Damn hippies! :) True, we are at our best when having in character brawls. ;)

Oh yeah, voted. We aren't perfect (who is?) but this is pretty good fun and one could learn a thing or two here.

OOC: Voted, so far it's a shutout. :D

I'll be out probably for the rest of the work week, 7-10 July, and possibly Saturday as well. That means I won't be able to do anything really long IC, but will be able to do some short OOC comments and answer PMs certainly.

So who will be running amok in the admiralty in your absence then? ;)

Stanley turned to Sir Cyril, "Hmm, looks like the Admiralty is unattended at the moment. I guess they don't want those Super Heavy Battleships after all!"

Sir Cyril smiled back, "Seems to be the case. Looks like we'll just have to put all that money into the 'Alan Parsons Project....... mu ha ha!"

[The two together now] "MU HA HA!"

Sir Thomas woke up in a cold sweat....... what a bad dream he'd just had. Lady Wallace hadn't stirred beside him so he took a sip of water from his night stand and tried to get back to sleep.

OOC: Sorry, couldn't help myself :D Nine nil in the voting at the moment, keep it up fellas!

Britain will rule the waves, even if its being run by Australians and Americans.

OOC: Well Wolfey can post the fleet exercise results if he wants to, but I'm (obviously) capable of checking in, but not for long winded IC speeches. I don't want to hog someone elses computer.

Wolfy, this is your chance to get lots of big battleships.
laugh.gif

4 December 1936
Cabinet Room

Only half the Cabinet was in attendance and unlike previous meetings the military was represented by Montgomery-Massingberd only. Chamberlain had the floor.

“So as of today I can report that the first of our Indian enterprises [Bombay factory upgrade] is up and running. This adds substantially to our industrial bottom line and frees up Industrial capacity for new expenditure.” He looked sidelong at the PM before continuing…. “And in line with a plan developed early last month these additional resources will be placed into the creation of two new Army command units [2 x HQ39]. Resources for this will come from the new sources just outlined and also by decreasing the rate at which existing units receive newer equipment [upgrades = 2.5].”

Chamberlain then sat down as his aides continued handing out briefing papers to those present. He was happy with his efforts in this department. Stanley had wanted him to increase expenditure to maintain the current funding to the armed forces while approving the additional expenditure. Through long debate Neville had shown that it just wasn’t possible yet. Despite his poor reputation in the eyes of the military Neville saw the need to rearm just like the rest of his cabinet colleagues, it was just that he also saw the pitfalls associated with trying to rearm too fast. Britain’s weakened economy could collapse if pushed to hard too fast and then they would have far more to worry about than Herr Hitler’s aggression. Neville believed in steady development backed by smart diplomacy that traded small concessions for time. Appeasing Hitler in the short term meant that Britain could pick her time and position in the fight that was coming. Despite this he knew Stanley thought him weak. No matter, he knew what he was doing.

The PM flicked over the report he was reading but as Neville finished his inner thoughts he rose to speak. Neville leaned forward to listen. “I’m sure you’ll all agree that the Chancellor and I have delivered a fine balance between the economy and the need to rearm.” How nice of Stanley to take half the credit, Neville thought but he smiled at the backhanded compliment none the less. Stanley continued, “It is hoped that over the coming months more resources will become available for allocation to military production and all deficiencies in the armed forces will be addressed. If there’s no further business………. No? Then this meeting is adjourned.”

Neville continued to smile as he gathered his papers. He overheard MacDonald and Baldwin talking and slowed his actions to give him time to hear it all.

“…..great deal of trouble Stanley. I think it prudent you start to distance yourself from…….”

“I can’t do that Mac. The National government must stand behind him.”

”Even if it means …………….?”

“It will never come to that. Now keep it under your hat until……….”

The two moved off towards Baldwin’s inner office leaving Chamberlain to finish collecting his papers. How interesting, he thought. He suspected they were talking about His Majesty but Chamberlain hadn’t heard much except for what was in the papers. Was it coming to a head? Had something very damaging come to light? Neville stood in thought for a second. Perhaps it was time to go see the party whip, judging from MacDonald’s comment it may be wise to begin sounding out his friends in the partyroom. Another smile crossed Chamberlain’s features, however this one was nowhere near as pleasant as the previous one had been.

OOC: Don't forget to vote for us in the forum poll! :)

Next post - SHBB's are ordered............ HA, just kidding Wolfey! :D

OOC: You know, I DO want to see if we can equal or beat the year that Britain built 8 dreadnoughts in a year. ;) It would do very well in replacing the older battleships and then move the replaced to the Pacific.