• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(11439)

General
Oct 28, 2002
Louisiana.jpg

Following Napoleon's defeat of the Spanish during the Napoleonic Wars Napoleon was again in possesion of the Louisiana Territory. The city of New Orleans was the gateway to the territory and the vast land and resources. Unfortunately for Napoleon he did not have the navy to supply and protect such a distant possession and was forced to look for options.

In 1803 Napoleon offered to sell the Louisiana Territory to the United States. Luckily for the American taxpayers Adams refused to pay for the land and it remained in the hands of the French Emperor. Napoleon could provide them no aid and left the territory to fend for itself.

The citizens of New Orleans recieved a letter from Napoleon about the bravery of the French people, their unwillingness to ever surrender, and his inability to provide aide. The people took it upon themselves for their own protection and formed an army and began to tax the residents. They formed more self-sufficient local governments and Louisianan rather then French.

When Napoleon crossed the Berezina River from Russia in November 1812 Louisianans rose in open revolt, by the end of the day the French government center in New Orleans was destroyed and a new one under construction with the new flag being flown. Soon the Louisiana Confederacy was seeking recognition from the major world powers.

It was not until April 11, 1814 that the Louisiana Confederacy was recognized by not only the UK, US, and Russia but also by France. Part of Napoleon's surrender terms was to recognize the nation as free and independent. In the last years of his life he wrote in his memoirs that he was happy at least that Louisiana was independent unlike Quebec and France itself.

LouisianaCon.jpg

North American 1836

Louisiana Confederacy

419,485 French 31.9%
380,035 Lakota Indian 28.9%
247,220 African 18.8%
123,610 Yankee 9.4%
80,215 Cherokee Indian 6.1%
64,435 Cree Indian 4.9%

Religion
523,370 Pagan 39.8%
419,485 Catholic 31.9%
372,145 Protestant 28.3%

Occupation
715,360 Farmer 54.4%
464,195 Laborer 35.5%
52,600 Clergy 4%
39,450 Aristocrat 3%
19,725 Soldier 1.5%
11,835 Clerk .9%

Source: The 1836 Louisiana Confederacy Census

hmm... looks like the USA is going to have a hard time expanding westwards! :D

Good luck with this one! I'll be watching.

Satellite of / ally with the USA?

Awesome. I love original nation AARs. Is it you or the USA colonizing Oregon?

Do I see a war with the Empire of Mexico in the near future?

You just leave Texas alone. :mad:

Wait for the US to start fighting in Mexico then invade them...

Interseting preimse and start I look forward to see where this goes.

Sesame Street: The US likes me, they keep improving relations but they do find other ways to increase their territory.

el presidentse: Not a satellite or an ally of the USA and the Oregon Terr. Colonies belong to Louisiana but the Canadian ones are still American.

Estonianzulu: Maybe, you never know.

JoshWeber: What makes you think i want Texas :D

Globe and Mail: With no common border to Mexico the US is much less willing to invade.

sanmartin: I might just make it available...we'll see.

January 16, 1837 the first true industry came to the Louisiana Confederacy when the cement and steel mills opened in New Orleans. This was the first step (and a large one) towards an industrialized LC. No longer would the LC export raw coal and iron and reimport the steel.

steel.jpg

The First Louisiana Steel Mill

With nwe money flooding in from exports the LC was able to buy the British claim to Murray, Idaho in June of that year. It soon became evident to the LC that they now had a prime oppurtunity to extend their control to the Pacific Ocean.

On September 3, 1837 the British and Louisianan representatives met to reach agreement about the mixed claims to Oregon and Washington. Finally agreement came in the form of the LC recieving the land below the 49th parallel in exchange for a large sum and an agreement to never colonize north of that line. Soon afterwards the Oregon and Washington territories recieved colonial status.

In Febuary of the next year [1838] a lumber mill was opened in Arkansas. This followed the growing trend of the LC's industry centered around the Mississippi river.
CarltonMill.jpg

The Nation's first Lumber Mill

With money now steadily coming in and resources readily available the LC began to consider a railroad. The proposed plan was for railroads to run up the Mississippi and from New Orleans to the new west coast. By June 16, 1838 the first railroad was opened in New Orleans.
Locomotive%20a%20la%20gare.jpg

Early New Orleans Locomotive

Despite this quick industrialization they were still seen as an agrarian nation when compared to their eastern neighbor the United States of America.
RRLC.jpg

Railroads of North America 1849

Last edited:
A very interesting game. You seem roughly equal to your continental rivals. Good luck keeping up.

Ahhh please make this available right now PLEASE this is just the kind of nation I wanna play! Its well cool.

Shame that Napoleon didnt escape and become crowned Emporer of Louisiana, Britain may have willingly let him under certain conditions (probably trade rigths and firm assurance Napoleon wont leave the Americas. Britain was always keen to see more monarchy in the Americas.

I suspect one thing you will soon find annoying is the way all the emmigration will go to the US and next to none will come to you until you have the cash for serious social reforms or are willing to go bankrupt.

Saulot333: I'm crushed, really, I made that in 5 minutes with paint :rolleyes:.

coz1: Maybe in terms of land size but when it comes to actual number of people i am severly lacking. I'm also trying to catch up to the USA in industrial power, what might help that is a couple of years of ACW :rofl:

Black Raj: I was considering a Louisiana under the iron fist of my good friend Napoleon, but I eventually decided against it.

But I like iron fist of Napoleon. :(

Well, Seidita, I say it in every AAR, and in every AAR I'm ignored, but could you ensure Hawaii's independence? :D

Seidita said:
Black Raj: I was considering a Louisiana under the iron fist of my good friend Napoleon, but I eventually decided against it.

Iron fist? Surely you mean guiding benevolent hand? You cant let old Nappy die of arsonic poisoning in St Helena! He may have been a Frenchy but he was a damn good chap! At least let him retire to Loiseana, its not like he can invade France from there.

AND PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ make this available for download soon!

The summer of 1840 saw another three states enter the Confederacy, those being Iowa, Oklahoma, and Kansas. Two years later the island of Midway was granted special colonial status and further expansion was made to claim those islands of Mikronesia.

In 1845 the Conservative Party was re-elected with a 75% majority. With a firm control on the nations government the LC began to make preparations for war. The nation had grown to about 2,000,000 and some 16.1% of them were in the expanding military services. The conservatives began to believe that it was their mission to expand westwards into Mexico and the military dictatorship of Texas. The army reached a stable 70,000 (at the Mexican-Texas border) with another 100,000 able to be called up as reserves when needed.

Postcard_French_Army_01.jpg

Louisianan Soldiers on a road march in Oklahoma

All in this time was not drafts and arms stockpiling there was also a large amount of industrialization continuing. The LC allowed some funds to be used for the creation of a railroad from Roseau, Minnesota to Seattle, Washington. Also in the first part of 1849 Mikronesia was also given colonial status allowing the LC naval bases as far west as Palau. The next year Shikoku was brought into the empire and the nation was able to break three million people.(Many of these Japanese citizens were brought into the army)

By March 1851 another three states, Nebraska, Colorado, and Minnesota, were all granted statehood. Final preparations for war were being made, most importantly an alliance with the industrial giant the USA. This not only allowed help from the US army and navy it also allowed the LC to pull away some 20,000 men from guarding the Mississippi to move along the Mexican border.

January 13, 1852 war broke out, not in North America but in Europe. Russia and Greece had launched a surprise attack on the Ottoman Empire. By the time word reached the LC there were already thousands of dead. Regardless on the night of March 30, 1852 the LC Senate went ahead with their plans and declared was on Texas. The lives of 170,000 LC soldiers and thousands more civilians on both sides lives were on the line.

The war with Texas was considered to be quick and painless for the Lousiana Confederacy. Their army outnumbered the Texans 40 to 1 and their only confidence lay with Sam Houston, thier national hero and their military dictator. By April 19, 1852 some 60,000 Lousianans had assmebled outside of Austin, Texas. This would be the first and last battle against the one city nation. Soon 1500 Texans stood opposing the LC.

For three days straight Austin was bombarded and the LC moved into more advantages positions surrounding the city. On April 23 the call was sent and the artillery fire ceased, soon 60,000 men were charging at the city from all sides. The soldiers didn't stand a chance and by the end of the day the government had surrendered and was formally annexed into the Louisiana Confederacy May 5, 1852.

Postcard_French_Army_02.jpg

Charge of the Louisianan Infantry

Mourn for your Texas, Josh. :(

Hardly 'his' Texas when it's turned its back on the democratic ideal all good Texans hold dear to become a tyrannous junta, is it? :p