• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Machiavellian

Alternate Historian
52 Badges
Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Empire of Sin
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
Welcome all. This shall be both my return to writing AARs and my return to playing victoria after having put it aside early on. For those who have not all ready guessed it, this will be an AAR about the nation of Columbia (with a "U") located in the famous Oregon territory. Now I know a few people might say, but wait.. hey, don't you have an AAR in EU2 that you stopped? Did you abandon it? Well.. I did not abandon it, but I just don't have the time to write for it at this time. Also, I lost a lot I had written and I don't have the energy at this time to go back and write it all, but one day I'll go back and finish it.

Onward to this tale. Some gameplay notes I should let be known. The settings are normal/aggressive I think and it's patch 1.03c. Another thing that should be noted is that I have cheated, somewhat. I used Neville to get the territory for Great Britian early on. I also released Columbia near the start of the game and have been playing as it before the actual point I say I released it just so I can get things moving. I also gave myself a little more then the pathetic 2,000 I would have started with. I'm not that good a player and I am only just returning, I still am uncertain whether I will get crushed or not.

Well, if you read all this, I hope you will continue to read and enjoy.

This one should be interesting. I just started a game as the Californian Republic. I gave myself the California provinces from Mexico and started expanding away.

This should be interesting to follow given the experiences I've had in my game. Look forward to hearing more.

54 - 40' or...

In 1818 the United States of America and Great Britian agreed to terms whereby the vast Oregon territory would be jointly occupied for a period of ten years until a decision could be made regarding the borders. In 1827, however, the two countries decided to continue the joint occupation and postpone the decision indefinately. There the matter remained until the Webster-Ashburton Treaty of 1842 partially delineated the northeastern U.S.-Canada border, but left the border of the Oregon Territory unsettled.

By 1843, increased American immigration on the Oregon Trail to the Territory made the border issue a burning one in Congress, where jingoists raised the slogan of “54 degrees 40' or fight ". Yet this was not the only territory over which warhawks in the united states congress were contesting. On February 17th at five o'clock in the morning, the defeated and humiliated Lonestar Republic applies for U.S. statehood. The Congress of the United States of America agrees to accept the petition after a heated debate and President Taylor gives his approval. In swift reaction, Mexican forces invade Texas.

President Taylor calls for war without delay, supported by Congress. One of the dissenting voices in the Senate, Henry Clay of Kentucky gives a rousing speech against the "Belligerent nationalism of the Democrats", but falls short of averting the war with Mexico.

While many in England thought that the Mexican-American conflict would divert attention away from the bluster of "54-40' or Fight" it soon became clear that would not be the case when the 1844 election began to heat up, with the Democratic 'darkhorse' candidate, James K. Polk, rallied under the banner of American “Manifest Destiny". His Whig rival, the great compromiser Henry Clay ran a campaign that sought to resolve the Oregon territory issue through diplomacy rather then force. In perhaps one of the tightest elections in American history, Henry Clay became the Eleventh President of the United States by less then thirty thousand votes. In fact it came down to a mere six thousand votes in New York, which swung the state for Clay giving him the vital 36 electoral votes he needed to win the highly contested election. In the end Polk claimed 134 electoral and Clay claimed 141 and the Presidency.

The British Prime Minister William Lamb knew that if England waited for the United States to conclude its war with Mexico it would lose Oregon territory. If the United States won against the Empire of Mexico, it would only be hungry for more and if it lost, he speculated, they would want to avenge themselves on another front. He convinced Parliament of a wild scheme he had been hatching and waited for his chance.

In 1845 the Mexican-American war was still hot and in spring, after a lengthy discussion with Vice-President Frelinghuysen of the United States regarding Oregon territory negotiations, Lamb knew the moment had arrived. On September 1st, the British Empire recognized the soveriegn government of Columbia, a semi-autonomous British dependancy headed up by the Earl of Selkirk, Donald McKenzie.

Amsterdam Tribune, Tuesday September 2nd, 1845

The British Empire recognizes the birth of Columbia!

Yesterday the Parliament of Great Britian and Queen Victoria recognized the foundation of a new dependant of the British commonwealth system. While no word has yet been recieved by the United States of America, it is believed that the USA will also recognize this nation after borders have firmly been established via treaty. President Henry Clay, known in America as "the Great Compromiser" has long advocated a solution to the Oregon Territory border dispute with Great Britian. Given the slow progress of the continued war with the Empire of Mexico it is expected that the USA will abandon it's haughty demand of fifty four degrees - Forty or fight.
One of many articles following the foundation of Columbia.

Last edited:
Esto Perpetua. ( It is forever ) -- Motto of Columbia

Not long after the declaration of a new country with its capital at Victoria on Vancouver Island, the United States, British and Columbian governments met to work out a treaty establishing set borders. President Henry Clay held a firm stance, even going so far as to suggest he was willing to go to war if they could not come to a working agreement. While Prime Minister Donald McKenzie was present at the meetings, he soon discovered that despite being the head of the government of Columbia(Queen Victoria was of course the head of State), he was to have little say in the affairs. In less then a week the issue was settled and firm borders for the new nation, as well as the United States and Great Britian were established. The United States of America's northern border would extend to the Columbia river, granting them the fast growing city of Portland. It was also agreed that the eastern border would be twenty miles east of Spokane. In addition, the United States was to be granted full commerical access to the waters of the Columbia. The Empire of Russia was oddly silent and its government made only a brief statement maintaining its rights to the Yukon. It did not officially recognize Columbia.

columbia18453ub.png

Established borders after the Columbia treaty agreement of 1845.

Returning to the Capital, Prime Minister McKenzie set about organizing a proper government for the infant nation of just over 600,000 citizens. The Appointed head of government also had to deal with the potentially dangerous influences of key figures in the former Oregon Territory, most notably John McLoughlin, though their were others such as Rev. Jason Lee. The white haired John McLoughlin, known to local indians as "white headed eagle" as the head of the Hudson bay company in British Columbia and had errected over twenty forts in the region, including constructing a new Fort Vancouver and establishing the first school in the territory. Viewed by a large majority of the population as the true "father of Columbia" McKenzie feared that McLoughlin would undermine his government. Rumors grew that McLoughlin would retire from his postion in the Hudson bay company and enter into politics. While the Prime Minister's government could not get a straight answer about McLoughlin's future ambitions, McLoughlin did give his full support for the Prime Minister and the new government of Columbia.

With those matters handled, the Parliament of Columbia and the Earl of Selkirk attempted to further expand the laws and policies of the nation, but soon found themselves blocked by British appointments and conditional regulations. The Prime Minister was content to accept his position and soon aided in the British dominance of the young country. Many members of Parliament however became increasingly frustrated by England's interference in their local government. It seemed that the only political matters that England did not meddle were such important affairs as selecting a National flag and symbol. Elizabeth Hathaway, the daughter of a lumberjack created the flag and was almost unanimously accepted. The national symbol however soon became an issue of contention as Parliament, angered that their powers were constantly being limited, fought bitterly for their favored choice in this one matter which England was not interfering. The main contenders were the Osprey, Golden Eagle, Merlin Falcon, and the humble Pelican.. though some favored the Beaver over a bird. In the end the issue went to the people of Columbia via rudimentary polling and soon a decision was reached; the Merlin Falcon would be the National Bird of Columbia.

merlin013nt.jpg

The Merlin Falcon, One of the National Symbols of Columbia.

Last edited:
Tradition
"Tradition is what you resort to when you don't have the time or the money to do it right" -- Kurt Herbert Alder

The change in the political situation of Columbia had little real change on the way of life for those living in what used to be the northern portion of Oregon Territory. In truth the biggest changes were a new flag, a new name and the knowledge that where they would belong in the future was now set. A large majority of the population leaned towards the traditions of Great Britain rather then America, but that really only affected their hot beverage of choice.

After a year of being granted some degree of self autonomy, life went on pretty much the same as it always had in the territories of Columbia. Perhaps the biggest change of 1846 was the widely publicized retirement of Dr. John McLoughlin from the Hudson bay company, followed by his announcement that he would be running for Mayor of Vancouver a week later. It was widely expected that he would win election and came as no surprise when he did. So as 1846 passed, the eyes of the world hardly even turned in the direction of Columbia, as they were far more interested in the continued conflict between The Empire of Mexico and the United States of America.

"..so let us rejoice this day that we are not in the spotlight of the world stage. Let us be thankful of our liberty, prosperity and most importantly our state of peace. It is on this day above all others that we must remember the brotherhood of man and let the all-mighty's example shine in our hearts and through our actions. Lastly to those fellow nations of the world, we citizens of this land, we noble Columbians wish to remind all that our lord and savior in heaven, Jesus Christ, also began with humble origins. Thank you all, good night and merry Christmas."
Prime Minister Donald McKenzie's Christmas day speech, 1846.

While this speech was generally received well by those living in Columbia, the Prime Minister's meek words did not properly convey the spirit of the ambitious and youthful vigor within the citizens of Columbia. By the winter of 1846 much of Parliament already began to realize that their independent and autonomous government was a sham. Through the Lord-Governor Basil Ellis and many other Imperial appointed positions, Great Britain continued to block attempts at independent Columbian political advancement, much to the ever growing frustration of lawmakers and surprisingly, the common citizenry. In spite of Great Britain's political limitations, or perhaps because of them, the average Columbian was highly political, with over half the population literate.
Discourse on politics, both at home and abroad, became part of their intellectual establishment and would shape the future of Columbia's character.

"A land whose people display among the highest ranks of the Anglo-American virtues of equality, oppurtunity and the spirit of individualism. Most certainly the latter such, as the Columbian citizen is highly unique and overly willing to tell you his point of view on most any affair, especially politics. A grand place to be for sure, too bad it is beneath the suffocating British heel." -- Alexis de Tocqueville
An excerpt from the writings of French aristocrat Alexis de Tocqueville on his travels through Oregon Territory, 1846-47.

By the time of new year's eve large debates over the benefit of remaining part of the British Empire were circulating through Columbia, however due to censorship of the press and not being accorded the right to gather in protest, such thoughts were limited to individuals, rather then reaching the public in one mass appeal. However, one discussion did gain momentum beyond all others. In late Janurary of 1847, a strong arguement in favor of a mans merit above his position of birth took hold among the hard working and individualistic people of Columbia. Those proud British aristocrats soon found themselves in retreat to their manors and estates, worriedly writing back home to the British Parliament. It is also at the turn of the new year that other nations come foward and recognize Columbia, most notably being Mexico, Portugal, France and Switzerland. Portugal even going so far as to send a minor gift to country.

Last edited:
Now you must conquer the other Columbia, for there can only be one!

You mean Colombia? I would if I had an army, which currently I don't. Perhaps in time i'll be able to do so. We shall see.

A question to the other readers of this AAR; are there any suggestions? Should I keep the current style of writing? should I change it? would you prefer if I added small narrative scenes? Let me know.

I love the style! Broadly historical, but with flashes of indiosyncratic character...absolutely fun to read, and not too meandering.

If only I could keep my AAR this focused! Keep up the good work.

-Adso

Thanks! Glad to have you reading and even more glad to have you complimenting :rofl:

I shall try to keep up the good work and should be able to update by friday.

Machiavellian said:
You mean Colombia? I would if I had an army, which currently I don't. Perhaps in time i'll be able to do so. We shall see.

A question to the other readers of this AAR; are there any suggestions? Should I keep the current style of writing? should I change it? would you prefer if I added small narrative scenes? Let me know.

I like it, keep the same style.

Excellent to see you back at it, Machiavellian. So far, a great start, though that must be some rough country up there to rule. You must have some hearty settlers and townsfolk. :D

Keep at it with whatever style feels best for you. This is working quite well so no need to change it unless you really want to include other types of stuff. I'll read regardless.

Indeed, do whatever is best for you. (plus, I like it already so no reason to change!)

Tough I must admit

merlin01.jpg

One mean looking bird.

The Tenure of Queens
No man who knows aught, can be so stupid to deny that all men naturally were born free, being the image and resemblance of God himself, and were, by privilege above all the creatures, born to command, and not to obey; and that they lived so, till from the root of Adam's transgression falling among themselves to do wrong and violence, and foreseeing that such courses must needs tend to the destruction of them all, they agreed by common league to bind each other from mutual injury, and jointly to defend themselves against any that gave disturbance or opposition to such agreement.-- John Milton.

The government system for the infant nation of Columbia was an interesting mix of control and self autonomy. Despite it's eventual failure, it nonetheless, can be considered one of the United Kingdom's first attempts at Dominion. While Prime Minister Donald McKenzie was appointed by the English Parliament, officially speaking in future elections it would be the people of Columbia that would elect him. Overseeing the Queen's interests was the Lord-Governor General Michael Ellis. The Lord-Governor General, was the highest of many appointed positions within the system. Representing the people, wealthiest of people were the upper and lower houses of Columbian Parliament. By this time Britain had at least learned its lesson from the New England colonies and allowed the illusion of self representation.

Head of State: Monarch of the United Kingdom
Acting Head of State: Lord-Governor General (Represents Monarch)
Head of Government: Prime Minister
Parliament: Upper and lower houses. (Upper house is small and mainly only legislates the Judicial branch, Aristocrats only)
Head of Judicial Branch: Appointed by Upper House, with approval from Lord Governor General.
Constitutional Monarchy system of Columbia, 1847

In spite of the layers of corruption rife within the system that gave all possible edge to the Aristocracy and people of power back in England, it was those very people, not the common folk or the wealthy whinning members of the lower house, who were worried. All manner of essays from the great political philosophers florished among the lands of the Merlin Falcon. Thomas Paine, Hume, Jefferson, Burke, and Locke all found their words in conversation or shelved on bookcases. Perhaps the most peculiar of philosophers to find a place in the hearts and minds of the frontiersmen was John Milton. Easily the most popular among the literate, Milton's works had a major revival, in particular Areaopagitica, which argued for freedom of the press, and The Tenure of Kings and Magistrates which stated in no uncertain terms that the people had the riht to despose an unworthy King.

"It follows, lastly, that since the king or magistrate holds his authority of the people, both originally and naturally for their good in the first place, and not his own, then may the people, as oft as they shall judge it for the best, either choose him or reject him, retain him or depose him, though no tyrant, merely by the liberty and right of freeborn men to be governed as seems to them best." -- John Milton, 1649
Most commonly quoted passage from The Tenure of Kings and Magistrates within Columbia during the 19th Century

Throughout 1847 anti-aristocratic sentiment grew within Columbia, with some wanting only to limit their power and others going so far as desiring to strip them of their titles and land. This was further fueled by the influx of Americans and the United States subtle hints that they would readily support a revolution. By fall the outcry for change had spread like wildfire, coming to a head during a session of Parliament on September 28th, 1847.

Frustrated and bitter with the Prime Minister and what they viewed as other corrupt forces within the government, the Parliament unanimously forces through a law that would drastically limit the Aristocracy within Columbia's borders. The law was in effect a denouncement of the Aristocratic class and the rise of the individual and merit based system. Ignoring the overwhelming support for the law, Prime Minister McKenzie refused to allow the passage of the Bill. Unwilling to compromise on the issue, the lower house of Parliament took it upon themselves to essentially freeze government. As the weeks passed, the crisis continued to build. The parliamentary stike was headed up and further instigated by three of the leading members of the Liberal Party - Robert Moore, Jason Whitaker, and Julian Zena. As the crisis continued, it spread to the people, gathering support with each passing day. Outraged at this defiance to Queen Victoria, Lord-Governor General Ellis dissolved Parliament and when the majority party called for the public to halt all future elections, the Lord-Governor General had Robert Moore and Julian Zena arrested for treason.

"It's all goin' straightaways to hell. My right foot for the day when the people knew what was best for them." -- Baronet Edward Drake.
The common view of the aristocrat in Columbia

Following the arrest of Moore and Zena, Lord McKenzie resigned from his position claiming he was unable to be a party to this travesty any longer. In Vancouver, under the leadership of Dr. John McLoughlin, the growing support for independance gathered, with demonstrations sprouting up against the law. Whie the Lord-Governor General desired to also place McLoughlin under arrest, he was wisely advised against that action as the "father of Columbia" was far too popular among the masses. That winter McLoughlin, much of the educated citizenry, and the dissolved Parliament met at Fort Vancouver to discuss how to go about the issue of Independence.

Further adding to the burning desire for true self-government, David Doupierre of Hazelton performed his own composed Symphony entitled "Spirit of Columbia on the rise" at the Victoria theatre instead of the earlier schedualed piece. His performance was followed by cheers and applause, moving many previously unswayed to the growing cause for independence. On February 13th 1848, the first official draft of Constitution created was presented at the Vancouver court house before all those gathered. By this time the citizen police force ignored the violation of public gathering laws completely.

On March 9th, sympathetic guards released Robert Moore and Julian Zena from jail. On the same day the former members of Parliament, supported by a crowd in the thousands marched to Lord-Governor General Ellis's manor and placed him under house arrest. The following day the lower house of Parliament reconvened in the Parliament building, along with over a thousand citizen participants to discuss the constitution and issue of indepedence. While the cramped building was filled with the sweaty masses and the stink was later described by one Edgar Howe as "god awful" the sessions continued with near open participation from all well into late march.

While some within Britain clamoured to come to the aid of their aristocratic brethren and restore proper order, the United States of America unofficially warned the English about interference. President Henry Clay had his representatives outline the terms of the Columbia treaty agreement which clearly stated no external involvement from either party involved. Though Great Britain had previously circumvented this clause, they found themselves in quite a pickle on the matter in the spring of 1848. With the USA now on the verge of victory against Mexico and a fully mobilized army, Queen Victoria, Prime Minister William Lamb, and the government of Great Britain were unwilling to fight a war over Columbia.

And so it came about that on April 23rd in the year 1848, Independence was officially declared and the nation was reborn as the Democratic Republic of Columbia. Dr. John McLaughlin was made the head of the provisional government until the first elections could be prepared and held. Yet despite celebration within Columbia itself this change in national status was not officially acknowledged by the world, not even by the supportive United States of America. Optimists however brushed this issue aside, claiming that recognition would happen after the elections were concluded.

columbia18483hg.png

Democratic Republic of Columbia on day of Independence

"The people of the Oregon territory are wise to desire to take control of their own destiny. Of Britain I can safely say [they] are also wise, for they have chosen not to fight a battle that they could not win. [Our] desire for independence is far too great." -- Dr. John McLaughlin.
The "Father of Columbia" John McLaughlin on Independence, when later asked by a dutch traveler.

Last edited:
Awesome!

Though you might want to clip some of those wide screenshots to at least 940 pixels wide. It does get annoying to scroll left and right to read such awesomeness. :)

Sorry for this non-update, but does anyone know a good free file hosting site? The one I was using apparently isn't keeping my pictures up for very long at all, so any suggestions would be appreciated, Just PM me.

Thank you all who PMed me or gave advice on the thread. I went with Imageshack and it seems to be working well. No real reason why I selected one over the other. I'll try to get an update up by tomorrow as I played a little ahead last night.