• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Golden_Deliciou

Colonel
9 Badges
Feb 3, 2004
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris
Disclaimer: I realise now that someone else just started a Mexico AAR, so you're all probably going to hate this- but fortunately it seems the style of that is very different to the one I intend to use. He has much more fictional narrative, less just describing the game. Also my notes appear to be absurdly detailed. Anyway, this is my first Victoria AAR. Be gentle. Here we go...

Part one: Mexico is a nation!

As the new year 1836 begins, Mexico finds herself facing a serious rebellion in the region of Texas. Taxes must be raised, men recruited to our armies- the nation must be mobilised.

Our best information indicates the rebel armies to be substantially smaller than our own. Therefore our existing forces should be sufficient for the task. Our army from the Yucatan is moved up to the front by sea, the rest marches the long roads from central Mexico.

The Texan rebels begin with an offensive- attacking in all directions in the hope of overwhelming the loyal Mexican army. This will not succeed. General Santa Ana cooly organises a defence. We will repulse the enemy on the frontiers.

Initially, the plan does not go well- the Yucatan division near Corpus Christi is routed and elsewhere my forces are hard pressed. Reinforcements have a long road to travel before they can relieve these troops.

image1.JPG

They do arrive, however, and these massed forces push the Texans back into their own province. Now it is our turn to make an offensive.

image2.JPG

The first Texan triumph was also to be their last. With little forces remaining, they fell back again and again, until being decisively defeated at the Battle of San Jacinto. The Texans then pleaded with Mexico for their independence- but were refused. A new Fourth of July will now be remembered above the American date. It was on this day in 1836 that the rebels submitted to Mexico and the people were able to cry out to the world: "We are a nation!"

image3.JPG

This victory was not bought easily, however. Many brave Mexicans had given their lives for their country, and the government had been forced to borrow nearly £2,000 to pay for the war. The armed forces were immediately demobilised so that the economy could recover- among them the former RTNS Liberty, now renamed San Jacinto after the decisive victory of the war.

Thanks to a great national effort, barely two months went past after the end of the war before our debts were paid. To reward the nation's citizens, a new education programme was drawn up by the government. Every child would learn to read and write.

These great achievements were recognised around the world. In all the highest circles in Europe, Mexico was spoken of as one of the Great Powers. For a time, her standing was higher than that of even the United States of North America.

The fragile peace in Mexico was shattered by new rebellions in California and New Mexico. Forces were rushed from Texas by land, and again from the Yucatan by sea. Santa Ana personally put down the rebels in New Mexico, whilst the newly promoted General Cos was sent to California. The government reluctantly ordered a partial mobilisation to provide him with the necessary forces.

image4.JPG

General Cos landed north of Los Angeles in late May of 1837 and began drawing up his forces to fight the rebels. He knew he only had to hold them off long enough to allow Santa Ana to reach California with the main Mexican Army. However Cos' men are largely made up of recent conscripts. He prepares for a difficult battle

image5.JPG

The rebels crash into the Mexican positions with unexpected force. The line of conscripts buckles, and then breaks. Throughout July, the rebels have the loyalist army on the run. Cos is only barely able to pull his army into order to withdraw it to the safety of San Francisco.

Meanwhile, Santa Ana arrives with his four divisions in Los Angeles. He pictures the situation in his mind. Cos' division lies on one side of the rebel force, whilst his own force is on the other. Santa Ana comes up with a daring plan to catch the rebels between Cos' rested forces and his own cavalry. His own forces, however, are unexpectedly delayed in Los Angeles and reach the battle late. Nevertheless, when they reach Monterrey they find that Cos' forces were able to dispatch most of the rebels single-handedly.

Barely was the rebellion in California over and the army demobilised, than another uprising began in New Mexico. Santa Anna's cavalry was dispatched again to deal with the rebels, along with infantry from Texas and California.

image7.JPG

The rebels are strongly engaged in New Mexico, and those which survive flee into Arizona to escape the vengeance of the Mexican people. This proves a grave error, however, as infantry from Texas and California arrive East and West of their positions, whilst Santa Ana's cavalry moves to complete the encirclement. The rebels are completely cut off and destroyed. The ringleaders are summarily executed.

image8.JPG

A minor uprising in Texas was put down with ease early in 1838, but more seriously Yucatan rebels rose up in the Spring and Summer. General Cos, fresh off the transports from California, was forced to once again partially mobilise his force, fielding two local divisions and one shipped from Texas to put down the rebels. They were crushed for little loss.

image9.JPG

So, Mexico's status as a nation and a Great Power are confirmed- but across all her borders lie jealous enemies, desperate to steal the natural riches of Mexico....

Next: the Texan legacy (I promise that one will be more interesting)

Last edited:
Excellent start! I particularly enjoy the way you format the screenshots. It reminds me of my own AAR :rolleyes:

I also think you made an excelent choice appointing november as general of your army in the Yucatan.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Memnon said:
Excellent start! I particularly enjoy the way you format the screenshots. It reminds me of my own AAR :rolleyes:

:) I rather liked your AAR. It inspired me to make the Belgians conquer Egypt. Unforturnately France disapproved- and right after I'd just reduced Holland to a tiny rump state and stolen most of their colonies, too.

I also think you made an excelent choice appointing november as general of your army in the Yucatan.

I'm afraid you've lost me here.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Glad you liked it. I was a little worried that basically two-thirds of this entry was about fighting rebels... also that Mexico appears to have no craftsmen :eek: However I fixed the latter by annexing Texas, and my next entry should include a whopper of a war.

Great start! Looking forward to see how Mexico will evolve under your leadership! :) Just get rid of all those pesky rebels, so you can concentrate more on industrialization and economic growth.

Memnon (in what is his 2500th post, BTW ;) ) is referring to your general having the same pricture as november uses as his avatar on these boards (or vice-versa) :D

:) Rafiki

Excellent start. :)

I believe you are speaking about my Mexico AAR. Yes, I did start one but I realized I didn't like the format so I asked Valdemar to lock and delete once I start over. It is quite alright, however, because I might be doing another country anyway.

Looking forward to your next update.

rafiki said:
Great start! Looking forward to see how Mexico will evolve under your leadership! :) Just get rid of all those pesky rebels, so you can concentrate more on industrialization and economic growth.

You'd think that- unfortunately not much of that gets done in the next stage.

Memnon (in what is his 2500th post, BTW ;) ) is referring to your general having the same pricture as november uses as his avatar on these boards (or vice-versa) :D

Oh right. I've not been here that long. Spotted November once or twice, though.

Eber said:
Excellent start. :)

I believe you are speaking about my Mexico AAR. Yes, I did start one but I realized I didn't like the format so I asked Valdemar to lock and delete once I start over. It is quite alright, however, because I might be doing another country anyway.

Thanks.

Part Two: The legacy of Texas

Mexico has restored stability after a series of bloody uprisings- but the threat posed by the Texan rebellion did not end with the execution of Sam Houston as we had hoped.

In August 1838 the United States of North America, greedily seeking to expand her territory, offered to buy the territory of Texas from us. When we refused, replying "Mexico is a nation!" they grew frustrated, and a border dispute flared into war in October. The army was immediately mobilised and, despite the poor state of our nation's finances, two new divisions were raised and began their training.

The United States had fatally underestimated Mexico's fighting spirit. Two Mexican frigates sailing from Yucatan to Texas encountered an American Man of War. Despite the latter's superior firepower, the moral superiority of the Mexican fighting man ensured our victory here, in the first battle of the war, 10th November 1838.

The very next day, Mexican cavalry completed their sweep through the Oklahoma region, and the central government was able to officially claim the whole area as a territory of Mexico. Our mobilisation complete, General Cos confidently lead his seasoned troops across the frontier into Louisiana.

image10.JPG

By the end of the month, Our cavalry had struck further West. Colorado was added to the Mexican nation, whilst parts of Kansas were occupied by our forces. Soon that entire State would be under Mexican military authority.

The cowardly Americans, unable to win the war alone, sponsored rebel uprisings in New Mexico as well as in the heart of our nation, as well as conspiring with the French to put still more pressure on Mexico. But it was unavailing. Mexico's offensive continued. Two days after celebrating Christmas with his men, Santa Ana took three divisions across the border into Alabama.

Meanwhile Cos' offensive was making great strides- by the Spring his forces had crossed the entire state of Louisiana, cutting of American dragoons in New Orleans. He then directed his men to destroy this force, crippling the American war effort.

image11.JPG

Despite these great military successes, however, Mexico's situation was poor. Revolts were spreading across the country, and the costs of war were mounting. Worse, the Americans, still unable to face the Mexicans in battle, had enlisted the aid of their British allies, and the French pressure was so severe that they had to be bought off to prevent them enterring the war over a pastry chef. The government resolved not to press the war too hard, but to seek a quick resolution.

Fortunately, with most of Kansas and Louisiana and parts of Alabama in Mexican hands, and American losses mounting, Washington was desperate for peace. By agreeing to return parts of Oklahoma and Colorado to their control, Mexico was able to acquire territory in those two territories as well as Wyoming, Oregon and Idaho. The treaty was signed on 11th September 1839

image12.JPG

Mexican gains outlined in Red.

This had come at a huge price however. The war debt of some £16,000 dwarfed the costs of the Texan rebellion, and new rebels were disrupting the peace across the country. The army is demobilised despite the rebel threat, and irreplaceable stocks of luxury goods are sold off overseas to reduce the debt. By the end of the year, one quarter of it had been paid off.

The revolts worsened, however, with a Federalist uprising covering almost half of Nueva Leon and fielding over 10,000 men, Indian raids in New Mexico, and other minor uprisings in Texas and California. Santa Ana was sent to Albuquerque whilst Cos moved to fight the Federalists.

image13.JPG

These forces rushed to the enemy and showed no mercy.

image14.JPG

Due to their military skill and the indefatigable spirit of the Mexican nation, these revolts were crushed by 16th July, General Cos personally overseeing the execution of the Federalist ringleaders at Revilla. However within just ten days, there was a new uprising in the capital, and the President was held hostage. General Cos was once again ordered to the scene, and he engaged the enemy outside San Juan whilst forces from the Yucatan entered the capital.

image15.JPG

The President was freed on 16th November. Fighting against rebels continued across the country into December, but none so fierce as that in Nueva Leon and Mexico City. By the new year 1841, Mexico was still whole- and through a titanic national effort the war debts had been entirely repaid. A great celebration was made and the education program renewed. Mexico had survived her clash with the United States stronger than ever!

Things I forgot to mention about the war:

The American swine wiped out 3000 cavalry with around 400 men in Northern Idaho.
The British landed a division at Corpus Christi, which I wiped out :D
The Mexican Armada's only starting frigate (I forget the name) was apparently destroyed during the war. But I destroyed that MoW I mentioned. Anyway, the San Jacinto is now the only warship in the Mexican Armada.

New update coming in under an hour, after I watch 'Yes, Minister'.

N.B. Normal/Normal, VIP. Latest version to my knowledge.

Part three: Industrialisation and consolidation

With the war now firmly behind us, our goal is to modernise the nation. We need to acquire the latest technology and processed goods to stimulate our economy. Stocks of paper are bought immediately, and the Ministry for Trade is instructed to keep a close eye on the markets for other fine wares. For technology, we look to like-minded European nations. Prussia is sympathetic, and agrees to pay for Mexico's first railroads in exchange for our advances in military technology.

image16.JPG

In September the President, who never quite recovered from his ordeal at the hands of rebel terrorists last year, retires and is suceeded by the leader of the Imperialist Party. He ushers in a new era for Mexico, by ordering the construction of the nation's first railway, serving the Lumber Mill in Austin, Texas.

image17.JPG

As the new year of 1842 begins, we see with joy the progress of our education programme; an astonishing one in five Mexicans can read and write to a good standard. These years were a time of great achievements for the Mexican people, only occasionally marred by unpatriotic rebels, such as the major uprising near Hermosillo. This was crushed by Santa Ana, now credited by many Mexicans with the renewal of the nation.

image18.JPG

The import of fine wares from abroad continued unabated throughout the year. The progress being made by our economy was again underlined as a private company built a railroad to serve the Tobacco farms on our southern shore. To celebrate the achievements of the Mexican people, General Cos was ordered by the President to select the most seasoned veterans of his army, after his successful suppression of a new revolt in Nueva Leon. The Division Comonfort paraded through the streets of Mexico City that Winter, and was rechristened Division Presidente to honour its great prowess in battle.

Our imports continued to grow in number and quality, and this bore fruit finally on 21st April 1844, as the first newly trained workers set to work on their looms to produce fabric to strengthen our economy. To prove the magnamnity of the Mexican government, the location chosen for this great advance was Monterrey, at the heart of the rebellious Nueva Leon region.

image19.JPG

A major uprising in the Yucatan could barely dent the successes of Mexican industrialisation. The junior General Filasola, commander of local forces, was able to put down the uprising without the aid of the veterans of Santa Ana and Cos' armies.

image20.JPG

Overwhelmed with the successes of the past three years, the President decided to reward the people by constructing a grand opera house in the centre of Mexico City. Dignitaries came from around the world to marvel at the advances of the Mexican nation. Not only the United States of North America, but now too several of the European Empires were loudly dismissed as insignificant compared to the glorious Mexican Nation.

image21.JPG

when contrasted with our neighbours, the achievement is even greater. Mexico offered to assist the Central Americans in winning their independence from the United States, but they refused.

image22.JPG

By November 1844, some 9% of our population was trained to work in our factories, producing lumber and fabric by the tonne every single day. Truly, Mexico has earnt her place amongst the Great Powers.

I'm not the biggest fan of Mexico, but I look forward to seeing how you do with this. I'll be reading.

Nice update :)

What's causing your POPs to rebel that much? High MIL?

rafiki said:
Nice update :)

What's causing your POPs to rebel that much? High MIL?

There are a lot of single-revolt events for California, Yucatan, New Mexico and Nueva Leon. Also Texas had high militancy from the conquest and New Mexico and Nueva Leon get high militancy by event.

Anyway, the rebels keep on coming....

Heretic said:
good stuff,
I hope you keep on top of the debt..
don't worry about posting too much all at once, just think of it as a feast for people who come late to your AAR.

Heretic

Yeah. I'm going on holiday for a month at the end of next week- but I should still be able to post updates. So I will see if I can get lots of them written and then feed them out to you gradually throughout August.

New update coming shortly.