• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(5371)

Recruit
Aug 16, 2001
Visit site
This is my first attempt at an AAR, and actually my first post on the forum as well, but I'll try to do a good job on this. So here I go.

Ivan III: The First Five Years

treasury: 200 ducats

I arrived at the council meeting ten minutes early, only to find that the debate had started without me. As I walked through the door, the Lord Admiral Raliminov and the commanding general of the army Striga-Obelenski were yelling, red faced, as was their usual procedure. The Grand Duke was seated at the table, low in his chair, annoyed by their conflict. It was he, after all, who needed to be convinced.

"Dmitri Makarov!" said the duke gleefully, "Finally, a sane man!" He stood up and came to greet me. As I shook his hand, the general and the admiral stopped bickering, and sat down. It was time to get to business.

"So I see we've begun discussing the issue of military funding already," I began. "We must decide if it is in our best interest to continue naval resear..."

"We cannot prevent ourselves from combating the enemy at sea," interupted the admiral.

"Men without coasts have no ships," chimed in General Striga-Obelinski.

The Grand Duke silenced them both. "There will be no funding for such research. Next topic for discussion."

I glanced at my notes, and, knowing another fight would break out, skipped expansion. The Lord Admiral had set his mind on gaining a seacoast on the Baltic, with the General greatly decided to move south, on Kazan. I myself favored both approaches, yet desired time alone with the Grand Duke to discuss a more global strategy. Thus, expansion would wait until the February council meeting. "Next up is internal improvement. Nabakov?"

A small man, who in the future would greatly change the realm, began to speak. "I believe that the tax systems should be greatly improved both around Moscow and Novgorod. Also, we need to secure Novgorod as our center of trade with great revenue improvements."

It was decided to abide by Nabakov's wise suggestions, and, in addition, to commision ten thousand additional infantrymen in Moscow. Foreign policy would be decided at the next meeting, or so I thought. The date of the meeting, February 2.

As prime minister, I have many duties, and on the day of February 1, I was in my office, reading the usual complaints about how we should do something about this "winter" that seems to arrive every year and kill a bunch of our soldiers, who never seem to be deployed in areas with good forage. It was on the bottom of my stack of papers that I found something that would cause me to storm into the palace of the Grand Duke, and give him a piece of my mind. It was a decry that simply read "Conquer Kazan."

Preparations had to be made for such an endeavor. Alliances to be formed. Troops to be built. Research to be done. Our forces were out of positions, and, as yet, none of that something called artillery was yet available in the realm. Yet, Ivan III did have his reasons, I suppose. And thus, although slightly miffed, I began to carry out a plan that would take us into a wild conflict, with a tiny nation that just would not die.

On April first, a man arrived at my door. He told me he was a merchant. Although I had little idea what he meant by this, he told me that if I gave him 4 ducats, he would go to Novgorod and get some more. This sounded like a fair deal, and sure enough, he did, sending news of trade increases on May 8.

I was begining to receive word of conflicts abroad at about the same time. On April 9, Spain annouced the annexation of the small Muslim state of Granada. Great, one heretic expands at the behest of another. The ambassador from the society known as the Mameluks arrived at my door on the 28, with information about a Turkish declaration of war. I told him to beg somewhere else, and set him back to Egypt immediate, not knowing that I would see him only once more, with news that would greatly disturb me. Yet, he reminded me that was necessary to have allies when at war, and on the first of May, the daughter of the Grand Duke was sent off to marry a young Danish prince, Piglet, Porklet, something like that. On May 16, a similar offer was received from Moldovia, betrothing a fair maiden to the Duke's annoying young nephew, Burporov. Yet, marriage is not enough of a tie. Something more concrete was needed. Thus, to my relief, on July 3, a pact of mutual protection was signed with Denmark. Relations were at a peak (144) and the Motherland was ready to turn and claim what was rightfully hers. On July 16, another marriage was concluded with Bohemia, as another of the Duke's daughters was sent off, this time to have a good life skiing in the mountains of Germany.

On July 24, another merchant came to me, wishing to go to Novgorod. I sent him with good wishes, and he indeed had some degree of success, putting out of business a Swedish meatball vendor. On August 7, I received disturbing word of a war between Poland and the Teutonic Order. We do not desire a strengthened Poland on our border.

On October 2, yet a third merchant arrived, wanting to go to Novogrod. Nothing was heard from him again, so it is assumed he fled, taking the Duke's ducats with him. On the 22 of the same month, news arrived of a war between Brandenburg and Saxony. An additional nine thousand infantrymen were commisioned in Vladimir for the coming conflict. On December 12, the Bradenburger aggressors were forced to quit the conflict, paying 61 ducats in the process. I explained to the duke that this is the result of an unplanned war.

January 1, 1493
Treasury: 94 ducats

A merchant was sent to Novgorod today. There have been reports of a Kazan trade presence there. On January 21, it was reported that Kazan was building a new fortress in their capital. I saw the wisdom of the king's declaration, and was glad the attack was about to commence. As a final insult before the attack, the Kazan traders in Novgorod were driven out of business. Having hurt their economy, we decided it was nearly time to attack. A desparate courier arrived from the Teutonic order on the 14 of February. The war had ended. Poland took Estonia and 33 ducats from the poor German knights. Little did they know, I planned to take from them much, much more.

On March 2, 9,000 infantry were commisioned in Vladmir. The armies appeared ready. Little did I know how wrong I was.

On April 1, like any other April, a merchant was sent to Novgorod. Yet on that same day, war was declared. Kazan would be ours.

The Russo-Kazan War

The main forces of our armies was under Stringa-Obelenski in Moscow, 40,000 infantry and 25,000 cavalry. These were ordered into Ryzan, to draw the main army of Kazan into battle. An army under colonel Bodabo, of 41,000 infantry and 2,000 cavalry, lay in wait at Vladimir, to march on Kazan as the enemy army left, and the infantry was constructed. Reserves of 20,000 cavalry lay at Novgorod, and 8,000 infantry and 2,000 cavalry were at Tver. A man claiming to be a prophet arrived at my office on the day of the declaration. He spoke of a man in the future named Clausewitz, who would say, "No plan survives contact with the enemy." How true.

On April 19, Striga-Obelinski beseiged Ryzan. However, patrols indicated that the army of Kazan was not in the area. They seemed to be marching north, toward Vladimir. On May 1, the 9,000 conscripts arrived, lower the army's moral. On the third, the army of Kazan was right behind them. Bodabo put up a fight, but not much of one. While at the same time 3,000 infantry were massacred in Ryzan, Bodabo was defeated on our own soil. Mother Russia was under seige.

Not all was lost, however. I still had the seige of Ryzan, and an assualt began on May 20. It ended on the 25, with 3,657 defenders remaining. With morale at a low ebb, my army settled in for a seige, just as an army of 5,000 Kazaners arrived. Shocked, my army of 43,000 was no match for such a huge force, and was routed.

Bodabo, reinforced with the cavalry reserves, took his force of 35,932 infantry and 18,223 cavalry and marched on the seige at Vladimir. He arrived to do battle on the 20th of June, and confronted the enemy. Inflicting heavy losses, he did not realize he was on the brink of victory, and on the 27th, he withdrew. Only 14,000 enemy cavalry remained, yet he retreated. The situation was very bleak, and the Lord Admiral began to make comments about an inability to move south. And a question weighed heavily on all our minds. Where were the Danes?

It was at this point, Stringa-Obelinski chose a new strategy. First, Bodabo was dressed in women's clothing and thrown into the Volga. Golystin, a much better leader, or so was thought, took his place. Second, the army that had now lay at Moscow would attack Kazan proper, cutting behind the enemy. Meanwhile, Golysin would attack the enemy at Vladimir. 29,586 infantry and 17,355 cavalry, all of the reserves, would attack. On August 22, the Third Battle of Vladimir was fought. For eight days the battle raged, but, yet again, Kazan was victorious. They offered peace for the contents of my treasury, 62 ducats. But any doubt in the council of our ability to win this war was soon erased, by the army from the north. The Danes had come.

An army of about eight thousand engaged Kazan at Vladimir on September 1. Golysin took his army to Moscow to winter there. At the same time, Stringa-Obelinski arrived at Kazan and began an assualt. Soldiers breached the wall and took the city before the new fortifications were completed. On September 10, Kazan was ours. The army was taken to Vladimir to winter there.

The Danes meanwhile concentrated their army in the seige of Lipetsk. An early assualt failed, and they were forced to winter there. Of 17,000 men, only 7,000 would survive the cold.

January 1, 1494
treasury: 121 ducats

Today, 3 merchants were sent to Novgorod. In the heat of battle, we often forget that it is our economies that are most important. They managed to put out of business traders from Austria and Courland, and expand our trade as well. In addition, 11,000 infantry were commissioned in Vladimir. Following that success, another merchant was sent in March, who to our delight expanded trade once more. On March 1, we received news that our reputation had greatly increased with the rest of the world. Apparently victories aren't as impressive as defeats.

In the same month, the army of Golysin marched on Ryzan, while Stringa-Obelinski marched on Tambow via Kazan, to destroy a small force that had beseiged the province. Even the Lord Admiral had to concede, victory seemed very much in hand. Even so, 3,000 additional soldiers were commissioned in Moscow, just in case. On the 20th of March, a marriage was concluded between the Grand Duke's least favorite daughter and Pskov. Four days later, the event was celbrated by slaughtering 1,000 men who took the field in a last ditch effort to prevent the seige of Ryzan. On April 2, Stringa-Obelinski was victorious at Kazan over a small force. The enemy had no army left. The fun began. On April 22, Ryzan was assualted. The first attack ended on May 10, with only 51 men left to man the wall. On the third of May, Stringa-Obelinski attacked Tambow. He stopped on May 17, with only 331 members of the garrison left.

On May 22, a merchant was sent to Novgorod. He then apparently skipped town. I hate money-grubbing scum. On June 3, Denmark finally captured Lipetsk. Their 5,000 soldiers then marched on Vorones. A rumor, probably started by the Lord Admiral, spread rapidly through Moscow. It was that Denmark would get more out of peace than we would. However, earlier July quieted many, as Ryzan fell on July 3, and Tambow on July 4. Stringa-Obelinski detached his cavalry and marched on Vorones with 15,000 men. All other forces were sent to Moscow. We looked quite powerful, and, on July 15 Pskov assented to our power and joined our alliance.

Great things happened in August. On the seventh, the General in all his glory arrived at Vorones. He attacked the city, supported by Danish troops, and on the 25th, the city fell. On August 26th, to a much needed celebration, in which the defeatist Lord Admiral was executed, we annexed Kazan, although Lipetsk went to Denmark, we did gain four other provinces. The day became a day of note, known as Stringa Day, after the general who from the jaws of defeat pulled victory. On the same day, Moldovia, entranced by our victory, joined our alliance.

The victory left 13,855 infantry trapped at Vorones, but no matter. The army at Moscow numbered an impressive 16,369 infantry and 31,225 cavalry. Besides, they are a lot more peasant infantrymen where those came from. The council was removed from its war footing, and began to try to improve the economy. Tax collectors were promoted in Kazan and Vladimir. On September 26th, a merchant venture to far away Venice reported that they had competed away some fish traders from Tunisia. Big deal. How about earning us some money? On November 25, any hope of an anti-Polish alliance was smashed as the King of Hungary refused any discussion on the topic of royal marriage. Darn.

January 1, 1495
treasury: 91 ducats

Today was a day filled with dismay. The ambassador from the Mameluks arrived with horrid news. The Turks controlled all of the country east of Egypt, and they could not be stopped. We could do nothing. I allowed the man to stay on my personal estate if he wished. Yet, his country was in danger, and he returned to it to take up arms. Brave men are hard to find.

Two merchants were sent to Venice, and a tax collector was promoted in Volgoda. 7,000 infantry were consripted in Tambow. Trade was expanded in Venice, to 3 ducats a year from one merchant. In Novgorod we received 7 ducats from five merchants. To be a Venician. February brought news of conflicts in new theatres. On the 13th, France (Savoy, Papal States, Poland, Helevia) declared war on England (Naples). I fear that England shall greatly regret this conflict.

On March 7, an additional 7,000 infantry were conscripted in Tambow. If war comes, we shall be ready. On the 25th, Turkey captured Egypt. My friend, the ambassador, was killed in the fighting. In war, no only bad men die. On May 5, we concluded a royal marriage with England. Thus, we got first hand accounts of the French conquest of Calais on June 7. On July 3, a merchant was sent to Venice. Trade was raised to a level where we gained 10 ducats a year.

Battle was joined in Italy, as on September 3 Naples fell to the Papal States. The English allies probably wished Spain had annexed them instead. On November 1, a merchant was sent to Venice. He put out of business a merchant a sauce merchant from Lorraine. :)
On November 12, a royal marriage was concluded with France. Now we viewed the conflict from both sides.

January 1, 1496
treasury: 102 ducats

We have a long border with Poland, and it is necessary to shore it up defensibly. The fortress in Moscow is therefore expanded. On the third, Turkey takes Quattra. The Mameluks are fading, trapped and indefinsible. The war is all but over.

On February 1, we take note of a new discovery, that of the metal canon ball. We decide that they are not of much use, since you cannot throw them very far, and stabbing kills people much more efficiently. I have heard rumors of long tubes that make these ball go very fast, but I have to see one before I can believe that.

In April, a merchant sent to Venice came back with news of more trade money, as his business took root. In the same month, the Nile Delta was captured by the Ottoman dogs. Alexandria fought on, versus the world (of Turks). On May 18, the Mameluks refused to share explorations with us. Obdurate until the end. June 10 saw a Royal Marriage with Portugal. On the anniversary of the fall of Tambow, a merchant was sent to Venice. He was never seen or heard from again. Rumors indicate that he was murdered by a famous Turkish assassin, Iya Stabyourbody, but this claim remains unsubstatiated. On July 24, the Turkish dogs captured Alexandria. All of the Mameluk empire was annexed. I pray that someone can stop the Turkish menace.

On August 15, English soil was invaded, as Savoy beseiged Wessex. On November 16, on the same day as one of our merchants competed away a trader from Helevia, Naples made peace with the Papal States for 36 ducats. They could have taken more.

In accordance with royal decree, I publish this summary of the progress our Duchy has made.

provinces gained: Kazan, Ryazan, Tambow, Vorones
trade: 5 Merchants in Novgorod, 7 ducats a year
3 merchants in Venice, 16 ducats a year
royal marriages: Denmark, Moldovia, Bohemia, Pskov, England,France, Portugal
alliance: Denmark, Pskov, Moldovia

And so the question is posed: north, to the sea, in quest of a port, or south, toward fresh land and hated enemies. Little did I, an prime minister know, that the decision would again be beyond my control, and instead in the hands of a peasant coal miner at the right place at the right time.

Great AAR. By the way what are the difficulty settings.

Not bad, not bad at all.
I think you should colonize the colonies in the north of Russia, especially Ingmarland. As Orthodox you get one colonist a year and sending one costs only 25 gold.

Thanks for the kind words.
Sorry for forgetting difficulty
Difficulty:hard
A/I:furious
This is the first time I've played with it this high, so I'm bound to see some things I haven't before.

I rather would like to colonize the north, but that shall await the conquest of Ingermanland and my glorious victory.

Five Years of Prosperity and Punishment
Ivan III part 2

January 1, 1497
A breathless courier arrived in my office. He stumbled through my office door, and in a hoarse voice shouted at me. “Minister Makarov! A man has arrived from the south! You must speak with him.” The courier, exhausted, collapsed on the floor. I hurriedly went to the palace, in an effort to discover what news there was that would cause such a hullabaloo. I arrived to find a peasant, still black from the dust of his coal mine, tired from a long journey, being interrogated by General Stringa-Obelinski.

“Where exactly did you find it?” The General had obviously been at it for a while. “At Samara, in the mountains,” came a feeble, tired reply. “Who is this man?” I demanded. “And why is he so dirty?”

“That man,” said the General, “is Miller Sutterski, a coal miner from the region to our south. He has information vital to our state.”

“What could he possibly know of?” The worn peasant did not seem like much, and I did not trust rumpled men.

Sutterski shouted out at the top of his lungs: “GOLD!!!!”

The council meeting that evening was filled with discussion. “We must immediately strike south.” The General was adamant. “Victory can be won now.”

“Is your army in position?” asked the Grand Duke.

“Well, no, but in three months, yes.”

“I believe we should wait.” The voice was Nabakov. “My information indicates that victory will be much easier in the near future. Scientists indicate that artillery shall soon be available, making conquest much simpler. Plus, our troops are now cheep, but possessing mines in the south will increase inflation and therefore their price. I recommend we attack in two years. Also, we must strengthen our alliances, that in time of need they fail us not.”

It was difficult to argue with this man’s wise advisement. The council therefore voted to wait two years, and then move south. In the meantime, 7,000 troops were raised in Tambow, and 5,000 in Vorones. A letter of kind words was sent to the King of Pskov, with which he was well pleased (+58). Yet most of the action took place on the trade front, as two traders were financed to go to Venice. Yet, their enterprises failed, as did those of two previous establishments. This was a financial disaster! As of February 5, only one merchant remained in the city, and Venice had a monopoly. Another merchant was immediately dispatched. As of March 7, Venice lost a merchant, and their illegal monopoly was broken.

On February 7, it was learned that Savoy had landed troops on English soil and besieged Cornwall. On that note, 15,000 infantry were commissioned in Kazan for the coming war.

I was expecting a year of light work. After all, there would be little conflict to manage, and with troops build-ups in progress, little internal developments to oversee. However, as Prime Minister, I am the head of Foreign Affairs, and conflicts broke out all over Europe. On May 21, Turkey, assisted by its allies Wallachia, Tripoli, Tunisia, Crimea, and Cyrenaica, declared war against tiny Venice. Yet Venice had constructed a remarkable alliance that would place it in grand position for just such a war. Immediately, Turkey was attacked by troops from Iraq, and Persia. Teutonic Order also declared war, but could do little to help. Four days later, the startled English ambassador arrived in my office with news that Savoy had taken Cornwall, and was marching ramshackle through the English countryside. I assured him that we would do all within our power to end the conflict. Reassured, he left me, and as he closed the door, I remembered that we had no navy, no way of getting to England, no alliance with any of the parties involved, and that I really didn’t know where Savoy was anyway. Darn.

The Turks, having angered much of the world by their annexation of the Mameluks, began to get what was coming to them. Even as their alliance stood by their side, the Ottoman dogs faced another powerful alliance, as Hungary, supported by Austria, Wurtemburg and Bavaria, declared war on June 6. Seiges sprung up all over Southern Europe and the Middle East as the spreading conflict took shape. In July, we commissioned 1,000 horse and 1,000 infantry in Vorones, as the General would need the cavalry. The Golden Hoard, being the Mongol scum they are, sure loves its steeds.

On August 9, the English, having destroyed Savoy’s expeditionary force, retook Cornwall. The English ambassador sent a sarcastic note thanking me for the “moral support.” Hey, any time, pal. An October 13 merchant sent to Venice reported that trade had increased. And good news in December, as Kosovo fell to Venice.

January 1, 1498
Treasury: 105 ducats

Today, in the snow of winter, two merchants decided that Russia is too cold, and things would be better in Venice. I gave them finances, and off they went, expanding trade, and competing away a merchant from Parma. On the 21st, Wallachia captured Serbia from Hungary. It would not be the last incident between the two nations. In February, another merchant was sent to Venice, sending back word of additional trading opportunities.

June 1st was a grand day, for on that day, Nabakov’s premonition came true, as artillery was discovered. Immediately, 20 of the new devices were ordered in Tambow, along with 2,000 infantrymen. It appears we were right on time for the battles of the next year.

On the 25th, the Persians took Syria. It appeared that Turkey had bit off more than it could chew. And yet, they fought on. This begged the question, where is the Turkish army? News came from Bagdad of a large column of troops. Perhaps the Turks had indeed found a way to take on their enemies.

On July 1st, one of the merchants decided that it was too warm in Venice, and chose to return to Russia soil. He was immediately thrown into my fireplace. We have no room for wafflers here.

Little happened this year in Mother Russia. But in England, situations improved as peace was made with Poland for 15 ducats. Apparently fear of the Polish navy caused England to buy them off. On the 10th of November, Wallachia fell to Hunagary, and the Hungarians turned to freeing their own land. Finally, on December 1st, a merchant was sent to Venice, competing away a merchant from Cologne. All in all, it had been a boring year. But thankfully, the invasion would be next year, and good things happen when you go to war, right?

January 1, 1499
Treasury: 100 ducats

The New Year was celebrated by constructing 20 pieces of artillery in Kazan. They would not be ready for the initial attack, but would follow in its wake.

On February 1st, our trade level increased. Hopefully in the future, people will go abroad for reasons other than the weather, but I am suspicious of these “traders.” Who knows what their agenda could be?

February 16th, dateline Croatia. The province falls to Crimea. Apparently Turkey isn’t the only country that bit off more than it could chew.

On March 1st, 1,000 infantry and 1,000 cavalry were built in Vorones. My replacements constructed, marching orders were given. On April 1st, as the snows disappeared, supported by all our allies, we declared war.

Stringa-Obelinski had a much simpler plan for this war. His army at Vorones, of 19,855 infantrymen and 1,000 cavalry would march on Bogutjar. A second army under Trubetski, having 25,000 infantry and 20 pieces of artillery, would march from Tambow to Saratov. A third army at Kazan, with 15,000 infantry, would attack Kujbschew. It would be assisted by the twenty extra pieces of artillery as soon as they were completed. The Cavalry Reserve at Tambow had 7,000 horsemen ready to die for the Grand Duke, and the Strategic Reserve at Moscow had 16,360 infantry and 24,255 cavalry. All was ready. We March!

On the 16th of April, Bogutjar was besieged. On the same day, 4,000 infantry of the Danish army engaged the entire Hoard at Saratow and were promptly wiped out in one day. On the 21st, Trubetski’s army arrived, and engaged the 10,000 horsemen. By May 7, he was victorious. May 13th, the General himself assaults Bogutjar, and by June 2nd, it is safely in his hands. He then marches to Samara. This looks to be a short war. On June 3rd, assaults were begun in both Bogutjar and Kujbshew. Despite the arrival on conscripts in the middle of both assaults, both cities fell, Kujbschew on June 12th and Bogutjar on July 10th. On June 30th, the Hoard asked for peace in exchange for Bogutjar. Yet the gold was in sight, and soon would be in pocket. Men war for money, not just for land. Turkey, however, thought it was simply land, as it signed a peace with Persia on the 25th of June, in exchange for Sivas. Go Persia.

On July 11th, Stringa-Obelinski engaged a force of 8,000 conscripts at Samara. They were easily defeated, but yet, the General received a slight bullet wound in the thigh. It seemed so unimportant at the time. On the 27th, he assaulted the city, and on the 1st of August, it fell. The 1st of August was a long day. A peace offer of Bogutjar was declined. Also, Nabakov announced that infrastructure had increased, and refineries could now be built. Yet I told him, “In Russia, we are not refined.”

On the 2nd of August, to much vodka and debauchery, the annexation of Golden Hoard was announced to the world. I thanked Sutterski for his help. He did, after all, start this gold rush in the first place. Too bad he wouldn’t make a cent out of the deal.

Yet I could not party. There were foreign issues to be studied. It appeared that Hungary had retaken Serbia. Wallachia was in danger of imminent annexation. Yet, on August 11th, a status quo peace was signed between the two nations. Apparently, Hungary had respect for small nations that conquered her provinces.

On September 1st, to much ceremony, I was promoted to Viscount. My power in the realm grows every year. As long as Ivan III is on the thrown, my position is secure. There was a noted absence from the ceremony. It appeared that the General’s leg had become infected. He was getting sick.

On October 3rd, a merchant was sent to Venice. He somehow was able to escape during an October 18th wedding ceremony between a Venetian noble’s daughter and the Duke’s youngest nephew. The Italians need to learn how to party responsibly.

On November 13th, Croatia was retaken by Hungary. It appears they are not yet sick of fighting. Not true of England and the Papal States, who. On December 1st signed a white peace due to military inactivity.

January 1, 1500
Treasury: 134 ducats

Today was a strange day. I received a message to meet alone with the Duke, to discuss policy. I arrived to find him, not at his throne, but in his chambers. It was obvious to me that he had not slept. A portrait of the Grand Admiral was up on his wall. “I always admired that man,” he began. “It seemed so difficult to understand how an admiral without ships could be strong enough to question the will of a king. Yet, I understand what he wanted.” I could see where this was going, but, stunned as I was, let him continue. “I issued a proclamation for the conquest of Ingermanland today. You are to make preparations as soon as possible. Now leave me.” I walked out, mouth agape, yet knew I had to do as he said.

That day, 10,000 infantry and 10 pieces of artillery were commissioned in Novgorod. For increased revenue, a tax collector was promoted in Samara. The next day, a merchant was sent to Venice. He was expressly forbidden from going to any weddings. He sent a letter back with news of a new caviar business, bringing in much more money.
On February 13th, more news from Venice. This time we were informed that Venice had taken Bosnia.

On April 1st we acquired the advanced rudder. How poetic.

April 8th was a horrid day, as the Turks captured Iraq. Iraq sued for peace the following day, giving the Ottoman punks 86 ducats. April 26th, we sent another merchant to Venice. He competed away a merchant from Poland. Good work.

As a portent of things to come, a man walked throughout the countryside in early June, preaching of a coming Armageddon. He was soon flogged to death with a dead fish, but his teaching created a wave of obscurism that lasted anther year. On July 2nd, a merchant was sent to Venice and never heard from again. To add to what was become a bad year, the unthinkable happened. On August 2nd, after battle his leg infection for over a year, Stringa-Obelinski, greatest hero of the realm, died. A national day of mourning was declared, and it was said that the very stones wept their dry tears.

On August 16th, Bavaria captured the province of Bulgaria. The Turks had great difficulties on their northern border. In September a merchant was sent to Venice, competing away another from Kleves. On October 30, Turkey ended many of its problems, signing a peace with the Hungarian alliance in exchange for 2 ducats. All that conquest for a measly 2 ducats. No wonder that gold was so important.

Venice saw its situation grow more precarious as on the 14th of November, Kosovo was retaken by the Turks. On December 4th, a merchant was sent to Venice. He was presumed a spy by the Venetian government and executed. They kept the 8 ducats for “legal fees.”

January 1, 1501
Treasury: 136 Ducats

Immediate preparations were made for war. 11,000 infantry were raised in Novgorod, and an additional 20 cannon were built at Tver. It was time for battle.

On March 1st, a heretical document known as the Treaty of Tordesillas was signed. I’m not sure what it said, but if the Pope liked it, then Russians should not.

As of April 21st, two armies were in position for the war. One, at Tver, consisted of 16,360 infantry and 24,255 cavalry. It awaited extra cannon. The second, at Novgorod, had 21,000 infantry and 10 pieces of artillery. 2,000 more soldiers were being raised.
With Stringa-Obelinski dead, I was in charge of the battle plan. It was simple. The army at Tver would march through Pskov and into Livonia, to take the Teutonic Order’s capital. The army at Novgorod would capture Ingermanland in one fell swoop. Thus, our offer in Ingermanland for peace would be golden. Battle plans are easy, or so I thought. Of course, that presupposes victory in battle. Could these commanders give us victories? I soon saw. War was declared. My alliance held up, and the Order was supported by Venice. It seems that they will be easy meat.

On May 26th, a force of 13,000 Pskovers attacked the Order’s 18,000 at Livonia. Pskov was defeated three days lated. Our army arrived on June 9th, yet it too was defeated. The army withdrew to Pskov, where it tried to rest. On 30th June came news of peace between Savoy and Naples, with Naples paying 250 ducats. On July 9th, 2,000 replacement infantrymen were called up at Novgorod. On July 16th, the combined Russian-Pskover force at Pskov was attacked by 12,000 infantry and 2,000 cavalry of the army of the Order. By July22, we were victorious. Both armies marched on Livonia, where, on September 12th, they were defeated by the Order. No matter. The assault on Ingermanland still had potential. On September 19th it commenced. On the 30th, operations halted, with 3901 infantry and 8 pieces of artillery remaining in the defenses. By this point, it appeared my plan would not work. I thus called for additional troops from the armies in the south. Yet they would not arrive until spring. On October 18th, the Order attacked the combined army again at Pskov. Our forces were defeated, and a siege began. On November 8th, a badly planned assault on Ingermanland was begun, and as it was defeated, still 3,141 infantry and 7 pieces of artillery remained in the garrison.

On the 18th, news was received of a peace between Venice and Crimea, with Venice paying off the Khanate with 154 ducats. And, as a final act of the year, 4,000 replacements were levied in Novgorod. It was going to be a long winter.

As by decree, at the end of five years I must recap the accomplishments of those years.
And so I do.

Current Armies: Ingermanland: ll,600 infantry, 6144 cavalry, 21 artillery
Novgorod: 15,097 cavalry
MoscowL 12,615 infantry, 7,313 cavalry, 8 artillery
Vorones:1,805 infantry, 4357 cavalry
Samara: 27,585 infantry, 19 artillery

Provinces taken: Bogutjar, Saratow, Kujbyschew, Samara

Alliance: Denmark, Pskov, Moldovia

Royal Marriages: Denmark, Moldovia, Bohemia, Pskov, England, France, Portugal, Venice.

And so, what does the future hold? How will the army fare in the cold of winter? And yet, what if another enemy awakens?

Try choosing your missions instead that will prevent the AI from issuing you missions. For example choose keep _____ as a mission every time your old mission expires. This way you will not be issued any missions and you will be able to concentrate on your policies accordingly. Also an interesting option, once you have annexed all of the Khanates, would be for you to try to annex Persia. This would bring the Indian sub-continent into your backdoor, which could lead to future expansion there. It would also give you a warm water port. I got this idea from another russian aar.

Another great post. Good job and good luck with the Teutons.

I must admit, never have i seen such detail in an AAR. You even have movement of merchants. very cool. And yes, go for Persia, but watch out for their armies. Sometimes they can have insane armies there. Also, i take it this is an IGC free game, since you mention Iraq?
Interesting, as many play the IGC so they can play the non-majors.
I wait to see how successful you will be.
Good luck:D

Good start mate... like Shogun said, the detail is extensive... Keep it up and don't give up when it gets dull (like I did :D)