• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

nalivayko

General
49 Badges
Mar 15, 2001
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
I confess, I started this aar in another thread already, but it seems like I've started it with the left hand and with the empty mind. The choice of a name was also not a very attractive one. This will be a second, improved, better version.

I also realise that there were many Papal States aars lately, but my intentions are a bit different, so I hope you might enjoy it and actually, maybe, come to love it.

In this aar I intend to help Rome achieve three things:

1. Unite - not conquer, but bring into one alliance - all the Catholic nations. Christendom will grow from an idea to a major political entity. Eventually, I hope to make Catholicism the only religion of the world... without conquering the latter by my lonesome.

2. Crush the Protestant movement.

3. While achieving the second goal, avenge Rome for being conquered so many times in numerous aars done by the members of this forum. In particular, I wish to help Rome conquer Albion once again. It will be Nalivayko's Rome making revenge on Ariel's England. I, for one, will enjoy doing it tremendously.

Two parts of this aar are being written at the moment. I've played only 100 years so far and the end result is in no way a decided deal. Yet.

Last edited:
The Humble Beginnings

As I've said before my intentions were as far away from the world conquest opening as possible. However, even the most humble ruler would had to acknowledge the fact that one cannot achieve his goals without a large revenue. It is also known that money don't grow on the trees, but have to be collected from people. The more people you have in your state the more money flows into your treasury. If God's agents (read: Popes) on Earth wanted to see His Will unopposed by 1792 they clearly needed to expand their domain.

In 1492 Rome found itself allied to France and Savoy. The alliance quickly grew to include Navarra and a couple of small German states. Unfortunately, France took rather long time to get itself involved in a war of its own, which presented a ruling Pope with a problem of picking his own fight. All Italian states to the north were allied to each other. Naples was in bed with Spain and only Venice, hated by many, bathed in pride and ignorance, trying to make it out by her lonesome.

First Venetian War

Roman strategic goal was a city of Mantua. Papal army, led by Borgia, easily overan Venetian forces, took Mantua, then Venice and forced the Doge to cede the former and hand over the remaining treasury. The year was 1499. Papal States grew to the size of four provinces.

First Spanish War

In the end of the war French finally decided to make a move against Spain. Rome sacrificed all of its navy to get Borgia to Sicily (as Naples refused to join Spaniards in war), but as the island fell to this rather talented general Spanish quickly ceded Luxemburg and Artois to France, effectively ending the conflict.

Time passed fast and the Church was determined to grow. Once Spanish diplomats arranged the annexation of Naples by Spain, a ruling Pope saw an opportunity to enlarge his domain to the south. Frequent rebellions in Naples all but wiped out Spanish garrison there and the time was ripe for war.

Second Spanish War

25-strong Papal army, led by Pope Julius II himself, crossed the southern border and attacked 8,000-strong Spanish army. The battle was short and bloody and its outcome (Papal victory) sealed the fate of the southern Italy. After the battle Papal armies took one by one Naples, Apulia, Messian and Sicily, forcing Spanish to cede the former two and pay 250,000 ducats as war indemnities.

After that war French went on an offensive against Austria. Pope wisely decided it was time to leave French alliance and start building one of his own. One of the deciding factors was the common border with Austria, which was the result of the peace treaty with Venice. Tuscany was the first to join our alliance.

Reformation

The news of Martin Luther reached Rome around 1515. Nobody paid them any attention. It was just another heresy at the time.

Egyptian campaign of 1530

As Turks failed to annex Mamelukes in the first war, an opportunity presented itself to attack Mamelukes in Egypt and establish a base for future crusades in the area, with Jerusalem being an ulitmate target. When Suleyman I led his armies in the second war against Mamelukes, Romans gathered 30,000-strong force and secretly sailed toward Egypt. By that time Mameluke empire was cut in two by Turkish provinces of Samaria and Sinai, and Papal army had to care only about the western forces of the infidels. And those were already engaged against Turkish and Tunisian armies. Mameluke navy fought desperately to prevent a landing, but had no such luck.

After the landing it was a matter of time before all Mameluke cities fell under Papal control. Roman navy returned to Apulia. And a new army was raised in Italy to counter the threat of the rebels. Finally, Mamelukes signed a peace treaty with the Holy See, giving up Alexandria, Delta and Cataract.

Second Venetian War

As all the best generals of the Papal army lied dead on the battlefields of Italy and Africa, the Doge of Venice seized a moment to start a war of vengeance against Papal States. Tuscany fought bravely, but loosing Florence to Venetians had to settle for white peace. The war lasted 20 years. At first, Venetians captured Alexandria and Delta, while desperate fighting around Mantua led to temporary victories of both parties. Finally, Papal army was able to use its numerical superiority and break its more technologically advanced foe on the battlefield. As Venice fell and Egypt was liberated, the merchant republic had no choice, but to acknowldged that the war couldn't be won. After refusing white peace for more than 15 years, she agreed to stop the hostilities.

The Birth of the Holy Catholic League.

During the conflict, Austria managed to annex Hungary and was glad to receive an offer of alliance. Genoa vassalized its former master - Milan, and too joined Rome, Florence and Vienna in an alliance soon to be known as the Holy Catholic League. The year was 1560.

=============================
Screenshots
=============================

Growth of Ryazan'

Church was glad to learn of the growth of the state of Ryazan'. Its conquests ensured that Russia would be cut off from Siberia and be enable to annex such a big state easily. Russian difficulties meant the growth of Poland, one of the most devoted Catholic states in the Christendom.

Papal possessions in Egypt

Cataract was easily converted to Catholic faith, but it was decided to raise the tolerance for Islam anyway, to keep Alexandria and Delta from rebelling. There will be time to convert them, but not just yet.

Western Europe in 1560

Western Europe in 1560 looked pretty much like any other Western Europe in 1560. French annexed Lorraine and Cologne. Dutch were about to throw Spanish out of Netherlands. English lost a province to Scots, but gain a foothold in Italy by annexing Modena. A classic Ariel's gambit, if you ask me.

Last edited:
The Campions of Faith

By 1550 Protestant movement grew from a small creek to a large river. All the kings of the North and half of the Princes of Holy Roman Empire embraced the movement as if it did preach the True Word of God. In fact, it was the Church money and property that attracted them the most, but the end result was the same anyway - the Christendom was split in two. A bitter struggle between Catholics and Protestants drew Europe in a series of wars, which later came to be known as Religious Wars of the XVIth century.

As an answer to Reformation Church made an effort to re-organize itself and bring new life to old ideas. This movement, known as a Counter-Reformation, was embraced by Spain, Genoa, Austria and Papal States, which formed the spearhead of the Catholic crusade against the North. At the head of Protestant world was the alliance of England, Scotland and Netherlands (all Reformed Protestants), which threatened the very heartland of the Catholicism - Rome itself (in 1550's English conquered Modena, which placed their armies at a short distance from the Eternal City).

First English War

The banners of Counter-Reformation allowed the Popes to declare war on any Protestant state without the loss of stability and with no internal opposition. Taking advantage of this, Rome declared a war on England in 1561. Modena was quickly besieged and after a short siege the citizens surrendered the city to the Papal army. English, however, reclined to give up the claim to the only piece of Italian land that they held.

Meanwhile, Genoese expedition sailed around Iberian peninsula and soon Papal allies conquered Lincoln and London itself. The English surrendered Lincoln to Genoese, and the idea of Irish Crusade was born.

While the war was raging in Italy, the Pope received numerous letters from his spies in England all of them repeating the same thing again and again - Irish Catholics are not happy with Protestant rulers in London and would gladly support Papal intervention. Once Genoa was able to defeat English on their own turf, Romans had no doubt as to their further actions. By 1565 Admiral Colonna sailed in the footsteps of Genoese and brought a 10,000-strong Papal army to the shores of the Green Island. In the future more reinforcement would arrive and by 1570 Munster and Leinster would be conquered by Roman troops.

English, desperate to put an end to this war, finally managed to convince Pope to sign a peace treaty, which gave the Church Modena and Leinster. The latter was a Reformist province, but it took no longer than a year to bring it back to the Catholic Faith. Thus, Papal States gained an important foothold on the British Isles.

First Nubian War

There are almost no records left of this war. It was fought on the southern frontier of Egypt against black-skinned Muslim heretics called Nubians. They were no match for better organized and equipped Papal armies, but the desert attrition did cause Romans some casualties. Eventually, they were able to bring their foe to submission, receiving two provinces of Bain Al Hajar and Nubia.

Religious Wars in Germany 1580-90

Inspired by victory over England and Nubia, the Church turned its attention to Germany, where Protestant Princes began to clearly defy the rule of the Pope's most important allies - Austrian Archdukes and Emperors of the Holy Roman Empire. This time a ruling Pope decided to use Imperial armies to achieve his goals. A war was declared on Wurtemburg and in less than a year Austrian armies conquered the little state and made the Prince to renounce Protestant faith and organize the return of his people to Catholic Church. Pope's Tuscanian allies were also successful, bringing home some 100,000 in gold.

The next victim was to be Helvetia. However, this war turned out to be the biggest mistake in Papal history for the last 80 years. Swiss turned out to be allied with French, who made a short work of Imperial armies and besieged Papal Mantua. Pope promptly decided to admitt his defeat and pay out Swiss rather than loose any territory to French.

Second, Third, and Fourth English Wars 1579-97

Continuing the Northern Crusade, Papal States fought three wars with England in a row, all of them having a particular pattern. Normally, English would have little or none troops in Ireland at the start of the war. In the beginning of hostilities they would recruit soldiers among Irish, who would fight half-heartedly for their historic oppressors. Even though it was better organized and had technological superiority over Papal army, Ebglish army still had raw recruits against Roman veterans. In the end, English lost Munster, Connaught and Ulster, leaving Meath the only English province in Ireland.

During those wars English also experienced Catholic uprisings in England itself, which would spread from Genoese-held Lincoln. At one time the rebels even took London itself and four provinces beside it. Those rebellions greatly helped to advance Catholic cause in Ireland.

Meanwhile, at home...

As Papal States grew larger in power, territory and influence more and more businessmen wished to invest in our economy. By 1590 they've built Fine Arts Academy in Rome, Naval Equipment Manufactury in Emilia and 9 warships in Romagna. The Church was gaining more power in Tuscany as well. In 1570's Tuscany agreed to swear the oath of allegiance to Rome and by 1591 Florence became the part of the Papal States. This gave the Popes another Fine Arts Manufactury and some 50,000 soldiers, which became quite usefull against those who dared to oppose the triumphant advance of God's warriors.

The end of Counter-Reformation

By 1591 the movement stopped being fashionable and the Church had to abandon it for a time being.

I decided to not to go back to being a Counter-Reformative country. Rome still has no knowledge of the New World, so that extra colonist is of no use to us. Then, there are more important matters to consider. The Catholic Alliance needs to grow and in order to be able to improve relations with Catholic country Papal States needs to be a Catholic country itself.

==========================
Screenshots
==========================

Central Europe in 1594

French continue their advance into Germany, annexing Kleves and taking Munster from Hessen. They also fought successfully against Swedes and Danes (see the map). All in all they contribute a lot to the Catholic Cause. So do the Poles. Their advance in Germany pushed back the borders of Protestant world. Our war with Wurtemburg only helped Brandenburg to annex it a decade later.

Turkey in 1594

Turkey finally managed to annex Mamelukes, but by that time Christian powers managed to get their piece of the Holy Land, with Spanish owning Lebanon and French - Judea. I hope to advance from Egypt and take Jerusalem, but this might be a hundred year project, taking into account my wars with England.

Last edited:
Hey nalivayko your mailbox is full, so ill tell you that your request has been done.

Good AAR so far , how have you been lately, you kinda slowed down and disappeared on us for awhile, great to have you back:)

warspite, my mailbox is empty. BTW, I tried to sent a private message to another member and I got the same deal - gotta be something wrong with the forum.

And I've been ok lately. Played Cossacks, Shogun, Sudden Strike. Plenty of games to keep me busy. Can't wait till we have EU2.

VultureGFF, thanks, I intend to.

Last edited:
Well, I don't have problems with my PM's...
Not that it is possible that your inbox is just not shown completely. Try putting it to 'show from the beginning'

You're right, stupid me :) And I won't be the only one :) Hopefully...
I'd have to be the only idiot here.