• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

coz1

GunslingAAR
29 Badges
May 16, 2002
hearthehurd.typepad.com
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
There was some success a couple of years ago with running a few surveys and addressing issues that may have effected AARland (see The Great AAR Project by MrT in the Useful Thread Storage thread). Since that time, we have seen some new changes that may have presented the need for another round of questions. I have come up with a series of 15 questions that I think might help us in addressing our current issues, if in fact we have any that need addressing.

Please take a moment and try to answer the following questions to the best of your ability. Try to keep the comments posted for now as answers to the posed questions rather than random comments. Once we have had a sufficient number of replies, I will tabulate the responses and present the findings, at which time the floor will be open for discussion if necessary.

* * *​

AARland Survey

1. How often do you visit AARland and why?

2. Where do you start when you visit AARland and why?
- a. Main Page
- b. Game Pages
- c. User CP/Subscribed list
- d. Other

3. How often do you visit the Main Page and why?
- a. Every visit
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never

4. How much time do you spend per visit to AARland?

5. What effect has the combining of the fora had (and explain)?
- a. Good
- b. Bad
- c. Had no effect

6. How likely are you to read about a game you do not own (and explain)?
- a. Very likely
- b. Somewhat likely
- c. Not likely

7. How many AARs do you usually read at any one time?

8. How much interest do you have in special projects/initiatives (and explain)?
- a. A great deal
- b. Some
- c. None

9. How effective and/or useful have special projects/initiatives been (and explain)?
- a. Useful
- b. Harmful
- c. No effect at all

10. How often do you utilize the librAARies, SolAARium, Gazette, the bAARs (and explain)?
- a. Often
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never

11. What is your favorite special project/initiative and why?

12. What effect has the Gazette had (and explain)?
- a. Helpful
- b. Harmful
- c. No effect at all

13. How often do you read the weekly updates in the gazette (for EU1, EU2, HoI and Vickie; CK does not have this feature yet) (and explain)?
- a. Weekly
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never

14. How is the state of AARland (and explain)?
- a. Good
- b. Bad
- c. Improving
- d. Getting worse
- e. No change

15. Do you have any other germane thoughts not addressed by the questions above?

* * *​

Feel free to copy and past these questions into your response (in fact it might prove more helpful in tabulating if you do.) I will allow a few weeks before gathering responses and presenting findings in order to gain a decent response.

Edited 7/31/04 - Please note that the final results of this survey were presented in the AARland Gazette on the 18th of July. You are welcome to contribute your own answers, but they will not be part of any further tabulation. If anyone wishes to discuss the results, please feel free at the end of this thread.

Last edited:
Answers in italics.
AARland Survey

I visit several times a day...I have little better to do, as it's summer vacation, but also AARland is an immensely enjoyable place, really

- a. Main Page
- b. Game Pages
- d. Other

- a. Every visit
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never

It varies of course; sometimes I read a bunch of AARs, other times I check in, look at the main page, and hit the BACK button right away

- a. Good: It's more organized now, since I don't have to hop all over the board when I want to read another kind of AAR. Also, I must honestly confess that before the merger I read maybe 2 AARs that weren't for EUII...but now I am actively following several CK, HoI, and Vicky tales
- b. Bad
- c. Had no effect

- a. Very likely: to see if I should buy it/if I'd like it
- b. Somewhat likely
- c. Not likely

Approx. 2 gazillion.

- a. A great deal
- b. Some: depends on the initiative, of course; also, I run one!
- c. None

9. How effective and/or useful have special projects/initiatives been (and explain)?
- a. Useful
- b. Harmful
- c. No effect at all

Not sure

10. How often do you utilize the librAARies, SolAARium, Gazette (and explain)?
- a. Often: Use librAARies to look for good old reads, and for "Recommended Reading" in the Guess the Author initiative; Gazette is always good reading, and MacWhatshisname's thing about screenshots is VERY handy!
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never

The Gazette, because I am naturally attracted to journalism, and the G.T.A., because I run it (most of the time- special thanks to Anibal here :) )

- a. Helpful: a lot of readers and writers pick up on the useful tips...like me
- b. Harmful
- c. No effect at all

13. How often do you read the weekly updates in the gazette (for EU1, EU2, HoI and Vickie; CK does not have this feature yet) (and explain)?
- a. Weekly
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never

There are weekly updates for each individual game? ...oops.

- a. Good: It's a ton of fun to read and write and there is still a significant amount of talent. Might I add here that a lot of the talent IS coming from "newbies", and the "Old Guard" are not the only gifted guys around....
- b. Bad
- c. Improving
- d. Getting worse
- e. No change

15. Do you have any other germane thoughts not addressed by the questions above?

My mom always likes to plant germaniums, and she thinks they're great flowers, but in my humble estimation they're ugly.
EDIT: First reply! Wow!

AARland Survey

Daily - in fact, seeral times per day, if my computer is working properly. I read a great deal.

- a. Main Page
- b. Game Pages
- d. Other

Main page, always. Then AAR areas - looking into EU2, HoI and Vic AAR areas. Sometimes I skim in the OT section.

- a. Every visit
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never

Every visit - I want to stay current with the threads there.

Hours.

- a. Good
- b. Bad
- c. Had no effect

Good, I think. The Gazette would have been almost impossible to do without consolidating AARland, and the Gazette is a terrific new project.

- a. Very likely
- b. Somewhat likely
- c. Not likely

Very - I always read up on a game before I purchase. I read extensively in the EU2 AARs before I bought my copy. I read HoI and Vic AARs because I like the eras and the authors, even though I have never installed HoI and probably won't buy Vic. I don't care for what I've read of the game treatment.

Um... Twelve? Forty-two? Carry the two and divide by... Let's just say, 'many'.

- a. A great deal
- b. Some
- c. None

A great deal. I visit here so often and read so much that new things interest me.

- a. Useful
- b. Harmful
- c. No effect at all

Very useful. The 'Guess-the-Author' project alone (thank you, Secret Master, Hajji Giray and Anibal) gives readers a short sample of an author's work and motivates them to seek out new AARs. (I hate to brag, but it was my idea... much improved on by later hosts, I must say).

- a. Often
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never

Frequently. Thank God for MrT and Stroph1. With the search function disabled, there isn't any other way to look up AARs.

At the moment, the Gazette. I think it is absolutely central for any idea of building a sense of community that we have a way to pass around thoughts and ideas. The Gazette brings things together in a compact and useful way.

If not the Gazette, then whatever I get up to next. That sounds conceited (no surprise there :p ) but I do get wrapped up in what I'm doing.

- a. Helpful
- b. Harmful
- c. No effect at all

See above answers.

- a. Weekly
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never

Weekly? I thought it was every TWO weeks!

- a. Good
- b. Bad
- c. Improving
- d. Getting worse
- e. No change

Definitely improving. We do STRONGLY need to reinstitute the showcase/writer of the week as these were useful in exposing people to new AARs and authors. In the absence of these initiatives, people need to use the bAARs to recommend the works of others. You can always recommend mine! :p

The only downside to AARland that I can see right now is that it is so big that there is no keeping up. I can barely read everything TreziV writes ( :) ) much less the rest of EU2, HoI, Vic and others.

I like Germany, generally. :rolleyes: German food and beer are especially welcome. :p

Seriously, the only downside that I see now is the sheer size of the forum. We're like network TV - there are so many networks and so many shows that an AAR had better get good ratings from the start or the audience will move on (or the author cancel it). There isn't as much time for a work to 'grow' its own audience. Maybe there's a Gazette article in that for someone.

AARland Survey

1. How often do you visit AARland and why? - Usually at least five times a week. Why? Well I enjoy the stories that everyone crafts, I sometimes try to write, and deep down I think I am addicted.

2. Where do you start when you visit AARland and why? - I usually start on the AAR land main page. It then varies as to what I look at first. Occassionally I will check the other parts of the forum if I want to see whats up with the mods and give any suggestions.
- a. Main Page
- b. Game Pages
- d. Other

3. How often do you visit the Main Page and why? Is the AAR land page the main page? If so almost every visit.
- a. Every visit
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never

4. How much time do you spend per visit to AARland? that really can vary. But I have spent hours sometimes, minutes others.

5. What effect has the combining of the fora had (and explain)? -I think it was a good effect. It allows and encourages me to check out the other forums more often, like Victoria and HoI.
- a. Good
- b. Bad
- c. Had no effect

6. How likely are you to read about a game you do not own (and explain)? somewhat likely. If it is a good story, I will probably read it. Of course there are so many skilled writers on these boards that I usually stay in the EUII forum first and have occassional visits to the HOI and Victoria. I visited CK a little, but not much yet.
- a. Very likely
- b. Somewhat likely
- c. Not likely

7. How many AARs do you usually read at any one time? A lot. I'd say that I am currently reading at least 15 different AARs, though it is probably much more than that.

8. How much interest do you have in special projects/initiatives (and explain)? - I have a little more than some interest. But I am rather hesitant to get involved for my own reasons. I try to do what I can and if someone needs something, i'll usually come through
- a. A great deal
- b. Some
- c. None

9. How effective and/or useful have special projects/initiatives been (and explain)? - I think they have been rather useful.
- a. Useful
- b. Harmful
- c. No effect at all

10. How often do you utilize the librAARies, SolAARium, Gazette (and explain)? - I read the Gazette often, the LibrAARies occassionally and the SolAARium rarely these days. I enjoyed LD's corner when it was around and the OScAARs.
- a. Often
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never

11. What is your favorite special project/initiative and why? Writer of the week was a nice one...

12. What effect has the Gazette had (and explain)? I think it has had a helpful effect.
- a. Helpful
- b. Harmful
- c. No effect at all

13. How often do you read the weekly updates in the gazette (for EU1, EU2, HoI and Vickie; CK does not have this feature yet) (and explain)? weekly
- a. Weekly
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never

14. How is the state of AARland (and explain)? I personally think it is in good shape, but I could be wrong. Perhaps more activity in the various bars and a return of writer of the week to EUII forum might make it better
- a. Good
- b. Bad
- c. Improving
- d. Getting worse
- e. No change

15. Do you have any other germane thoughts not addressed by the questions above? When I stay with my parents and my father asks me to cut the lawn, I always avoid the patches of green clovers. I did this when I was younger as well. My father then goes and cuts them himself. He doesn't like the clovers, but I think they are nifty. I even found a four leafed one which I now keep in my wallet.

Am I the second post? Here you go Coz1, hopefully this will help your project.

EDIT: Curses! Director, that cad, beat me to the second post by a few seconds, not only that but apparently he was copying from the same person I was, because our answers are very similar!

PS. -Director, have you figured out my new nickname for you yet? :rolleyes:

PPS - Not the definition indicating disregard for others, but the one that is more a omnibus conductor, if that makes any sense Maestro.

Last edited:
My answers: in bold :)

* * *​

AARland Survey

Daily (unfortunately I've been quite busy these past weeks and I reduced that time to five times per week)

- a. Main Page
- b. Game Pages
- d. Other

- a. Every visit... It's the place everything significant happens...
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never

Three, four hours, I guess...

- a. Good....only if we learn to work together more...
- b. Bad
- c. Had no effect

- a. Very likely... I come here mainly for good reading...Playing takes place somewhere else
- b. Somewhat likely
- c. Not likely

My usual quota is 15-20... I reduced that to about 5-6 lately...

- a. A great deal :)
- b. Some
- c. None

- a. Useful, but they could have been better with a little more interest
- b. Harmful
- c. No effect at all

- a. Often, except for the SolAARium, which I never used (read it all, of course, just didn't use), everything else is a must...
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never

The Gazette, but I guess that every special project which manages to bring us closer is worthy of my appreciation

- a. Helpful but, again, it could have been better...
- b. Harmful
- c. No effect at all

- a. Weekly
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never, since I hadn't any time to modify mine, I just assumed nobody does it :)...

- a. Good
- b. Bad
- c. Improving...we are in the third phase, people....
- d. Getting worse
- e. No change

I like Ike!

* * *​

AARland Survey

Probably once or twice a day. Why? Because I wish I had found this place when I first bought EU and then EUII. The sad part I have owned the games for quite some time before I ever knew this place existed. I love this place. Lots to read and lots to do.

- a. Main Page
- b. Game Pages
- d. Other

I generally start at my User CP/Subscribed List. Why? Because I have everything I need there and I subscribe to all the AAR Forums, the General Discussion Forum, the OT Forum, the EUtopia Forum, and the AARs and General Discussion Forum, let alone about the fourty threads that I also subscribe to as well.

- a. Every visit
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never

Every time. I may not POST anything each time, but I do check it out.

Depends on my schedule anymore. About half an hour to two hours.

- a. Good
- b. Bad
- c. Had no effect

I think it has been good overall. But it is generally impossible to read everything anymore. When it was just EU and EUII it was possible. When HoI came along it was still barely possible. But once Vicky came along and now Crusader Kings, I don’t know of anyone who can read everything now. But what I do read, I enjoy.

- a. Very likely
- b. Somewhat likely
- c. Not likely

As I said before, I go everywhere.

Used to be all of them. Now it is only a few.

Since I am a Senior EditAAR of the Gazette along with Coz1 and Alexandru H., along with Director I think I am involved pretty well, along with being the bAARtender of the EUII bAAR and keeping tabs on the Monarch’s TavAARn, and I did get involved with the Guess the Author thing and the Author’s Choice thing Director did, I think I have lots of interest.

- a. A great deal
- b. Some
- c. None

- a. Useful
- b. Harmful
- c. No effect at all

See above. I think I said it all there.

- a. Often
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never

I’ve read through them all at one point or another. I use them somewhat, depending on what I am doing.

Hm, let me see…the Gazette?:)

- a. Helpful
- b. Harmful
- c. No effect at all

It’s helped, I believe. It has brought people together to discuss AARland and what goes on here.

- a. Weekly
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never

Well every two weeks I update MY portion. Except for the last issue. I just didn’t have the time.

- a. Good
- b. Bad
- c. Improving
- d. Getting worse
- e. No change

Improving. I think it was a bit rocky at first, and now things are smoothing out and things are working out well, I believe.

Do you ever wonder if there would be another Pope Urban that he might be German?:)

Several times a day, usually first thing in the morning and then whenever I get stuck and need to think for a few minutes while writing my story.

- a. Main Page
- b. Game Pages
- d. Other
Crusader Kings page, to check for comments in my topic and to see if there are updates in any of the other AARs I read

- a. Every visit
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never
Sometimes, usually after visiting CK AAR land and before checking for the latest CK patch, unless my ideas have formed nicely, in which case I head back to writing.

Depends on those updates and how long it takes for my mind to provide the perfect form for that line of dialogue...call it 5-10 minutes.

- a. Good
- b. Bad
- c. Had no effect
I've only been here for less than 2 months, no idea!

- a. Very likely
- b. Somewhat likely
- c. Not likely
Not likely, I have CK and EU2 but none of the other games because they do not interest me. They don't have settings I find interesting, or even like.

Depends how many interesting ones there are, I like story AARs and don't like the other types much. I think I'm following 3 CK and 1 EU2 right now.

- a. A great deal
- b. Some
- c. None
Some, guess the author and other projects that focus on improving yourself in some way (as in more ways than the obvious 'learn to write better') are interesting, but I am still looking around at a rate of less than 15 minutes a day, so I haven't seen much of the others.

- a. Useful
- b. Harmful
- c. No effect at all
Ask me later, when I've had a bit more time to find out :p

- a. Often
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never
Gazette: sometimes, not as often as I would like. LibrAARies: Never, not made it that far yet! SolAARium: sometimes, I've read some of it but it's so long I could be reading for the next year.

You can't ask me that! Wait until I've had chance to look at them all.

- a. Helpful
- b. Harmful
- c. No effect at all
Helpful, it has provoked discussion, even if there aren't too many people in siad discussion.

- a. Weekly
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never
If you had a CK update I'd read it, I don't have enough interest in EU2 to read its update (haven't played the game much), and I have no interest whatsoever in the other games listed.

- a. Good
- b. Bad
- c. Improving
- d. Getting worse
- e. No change
Seems good enough.

No, I don't have time to think. Um, I know - apologies for the typos in my answers, but I'm in a rush.

Well, I guess I could answer my own survey.

AARland Survey​

I usually stop by everyday, either to post or read.

- a. Main Page
- b. Game Pages
- d. Other
Main Page, every time. Start from there and then visit each subforum in turn.
- a. Every visit
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never
See above.

It depends. Sometimes I just stop in to see if there have been any recent updates to chalk up for reading later. Other times it can be for a few hours.

- a. Good
- b. Bad
- c. Had no effect
Overall, I think it has had a good effect. It has presented challenges, but ones that are quickly being overcome.

- a. Very likely
- b. Somewhat likely
- c. Not likely
Very likely. I like to read a good story, and that means even for a game I do not own.

It varies. I used to read them all, or try to, but with the explosion of new one slately, and my time slightly curtailed, I am stuck reading maybe 10 or 15 off and on.

- a. A great deal
- b. Some
- c. None
A great deal, as they are what brings us together as a community.

- a. Useful
- b. Harmful
- c. No effect at all
I think the ones that have been maintained have been very useful. The guess-the-author has been effective in getting writers to write, and somewhat successful in geting feedback for that. Others have tailed off some.

- a. Often
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never
Quite often on all three accounts. LibrAARies are necessary and a Godsend that someone took the time out of their schedules to create them. The SolAARium is always useful for finding information about writing, and the gazette obviously holds a special place for me as do the bAARs.

Again, the Gazette. Most likely because I help organize it.

- a. Helpful
- b. Harmful
- c. No effect at all
Overall, I think helpful. But I do wonder how much readers take the information to heart. If it is not paid attention to, then it is simply a bunch of long-winded old farts writing to watch themselves write. I do think some of the AARticles have been helpful, and in the long run, I think it will be a great repository for information if people are willing to look through it after the fact.

- a. Weekly
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never
I try to update these weekly (though not always successfully.) They are provided to link to game info, recommendations, announcements and any other news the editAARs find useful for the reader.

- a. Good
- b. Bad
- c. Improving
- d. Getting worse
- e. No change
I think the overall state of AARland is improving. I would say good, but we still have a few hurdles to jump (still some cross-over needed for certain games, and I fear the main page, bAARs, projects and other community projects get only interaction from a small subset of members. I am pleased to see that, don't get me wrong; but there are things that can be done to draw more people in and I, for one, am thinking daily about new ways to do that.

Boy, you guys have had a lot of fun with this question. So why not join in? Is this a joke? Are these Polish germanes? Outside of that, if I had any other thoughts or questions, I would probably have said or asked them already. :D

V - thanks. And good idea. I would suggest merging this with T's polls after it is completed, and then adding that link to the link storage in the sticky area (perhaps along with the other threads in the Useful Thread Storage thread listed below this one.)

And thanks to those that took the time to answer so far. I look forward to seeing what others have to say.

And for newer folks, if there are some answers that do not apply, then feel free to put N/A, but your voice is just as important as anyone else's, so please do not be shy. Let us hear what you think too! :)

Last edited:
I agree, but that was not so much a question and answer poll (like this or T's)as it was a series of comments that did not always stay on topic, though there were many good suggestions (in fact, I believe the gazette was one of the results of that thread). Perhaps a mixture of all three in a central area would be in order once this one is completed as well.

And how about your response the survey, V? ;) :D

Here are my answers, though my recent absence means I can't comment really on the Gazette.

1-3 times per day. Because I like the community and the stories on offer.

- c. User CP/Subscribed list usually. Because its handy to keep track of what's been updated since I last checked.

- a. Every visit. Well, once a day at least.

Varies depending when I'm logging on. Probably 2-3 hours per day. (NB: right now probably a little less, but that is my long-term average)

- a. Good. There is I feel more a sense of AAR meta-community now than there was before.

- a. Very likely
It's how I persuaded myself to shell out for HoI, Vicky, and Chariots of War.

20+.

- a. A great deal. (and see below)

- a. Useful. They enhance the fora and bring people together in ways outside the ordinary aar threads.

10. How often do you utilize the librAARies, SolAARium, Gazette, (and bAARs) (and explain)?
- a. Often. Well, not the gazette so much yet but I intend to. I often ransack the SolAARium, like a good book you appreciate something new every time you go there. That and it is an excellent place to raise theoreotical queries that might well feel out of place in other threads. The librAARies much less so, unless I'm looking for a particular AAR or country. I find bAARs useful to keep track of new aars that I might have missed, plus they are a community focus.

The SolAARium, as above.

Can't comment, though I like the look of it.

I intend to, is all I'll say.

- a. Good
To be honest I have always thought the general AARland situation has been good. Not that there have not been small flaps here and there, but the main feelings I have had have always been positive. Even a thriving community has occasional bumps.

Nothing germinating right now. I'll edit this if anything comes to mind.

Last edited:
coz1 said:
AARland Survey

Often, I'm the mod, though less and less to read after we got so many subfora :(

- a. Main Page

Main because the AAR related topics that might aid my improvements of the forum are there

User CP to look for my own AARs and the collaberative I participate in, as well as a few other threads I follow elswhere ;)

Also I subscribe to the main as well as the subfora, and during the day at work the CP gives me an idea of recent posts...

- a. Every visit

See above

Each moring.. 0,5-1,0 hour depending on traffic and need for responses

During the day 5 minutes per visit... up to 10-15 times a day

- a. Good
- b. Bad
- c. Had no effect

A for new ideas..
B for community, and lack of looking in other to spawn ideas
C for cross community

Well a good story is a good story, but the closer it is to the game mechanics, the less likely for me if I don't play the game (I own or beta own all except HoI and EU1, and HoI I borrowed from Sytass to learn the game :))

3-5 used to be more :(

- a. A great deal

Doh :p

- a. Useful

For those that participate.. and a few that gets caught and dare step in :p

- c. No effect at all

For the broad masses

- b. Sometimes

Gazzette and baars for input and recommendation.. Library seldom, get most AARs scanned as they appear

Always liked the bAARs, I was here when the first started, and some of those now gone where close online friends... also it is very undemanding...

I like the SolAARium, though the discussion is often over my head.. the idea of the gazzette is good, but massed text can be daunting :)

- a. Helpful
- b. Harmful

Some good and not so good discussions.. and some horrendous views on AARland :eek:

- b. Sometimes

Mostly I read the feature articles

- a. Good
- c. Improving

Had a slump is recovering, but miss overall community feeling, likely due to size.. collecting the bAARs would bring ppl here, but likely destroy the community in each subfora

Satisfied? :p

V

Yes I am, V. And I appreciate you mentioning the bAARs in your answer regarding special projects/initiatives. I realized after the fact that I had left them out, but they are most assuredly part of that frame of mind.

And it's great to see stnylan back in the mix. You sir, have been greatly missed, by me at least, and I am sure a whole host of others! :D And though I am sure many of you might like to take the time to say the same thing, let's do it it elsewhere and keep this thread focused on the survey results. Might I suggest the bAARs for that, since V has correctly suggested their importance above. ;)

coz1 said:
There was some success a couple of years ago with running a few surveys and addressing issues that may have effected AARland (see The Great AAR Project by MrT in the Useful Thread Storage thread). Since that time, we have seen some new changes that may have presented the need for another round of questions. I have come up with a series of 15 questions that I think might help us in addressing our current issues, if in fact we have any that need addressing.

Please take a moment and try to answer the following questions to the best of your ability. Try to keep the comments posted for now as answers to the posed questions rather than random comments. Once we have had a sufficient number of replies, I will tabulate the responses and present the findings, at which time the floor will be open for discussion if necessary.

* * *​

AARland Survey

- a. Main Page
- b. Game Pages
- d. Other

- a. Every visit
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never

- a. Good
- b. Bad
- c. Had no effect

- a. Very likely
- b. Somewhat likely
- c. Not likely

- a. A great deal
- b. Some
- c. None

- a. Useful
- b. Harmful
- c. No effect at all

- a. Often
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never

- a. Helpful
- b. Harmful
- c. No effect at all

- a. Weekly
- b. Sometimes
- c. Never

- a. Good
- b. Bad
- c. Improving
- d. Getting worse
- e. No change

* * *​

Feel free to copy and past these questions into your response (in fact it might prove more helpful in tabulating if you do.) I will allow a few weeks before gathering responses and presenting findings in order to gain a decent response.

Hope this helps Coz1

1. 3 times a week. Why to work on my aar and nation guide and read the new entries.

2. Main page

3. Every Visit I need to in order to switch from the disscusion areas into AAR land or the OT.

4.30- 120 minutes

5.Sorry don't know for sure

6. Likely I read AARs to see how people write and generaly to get opinions of all games. I also like to comment upon various authors who don't stay in one place.

7. I am currently following 10 AARs and writing two if they count.

8. A great deal. I am alway ready for a new project, so if want to start some count me in for sure.

9. I have only been here about two months so I can't give a very good awnse to this one.

10. I use them all qute often. The libary I use every visit and use it for links instead of rumaging through the forum pages. The gazzete has been helpfull letely due to its articles of screen shots. I also use the baars to advirtise my aars and to find out whats new.

11. Sorry can't say for sure.

12. Helpful I needed to consult it for screen shot tips and adivce several times in the past weeks.

13. Weekly

14. Good I find that it is organized sort of spam free and a wonderfull place to enjoy a good story.

15. Nope, but good query

I have not been around long, but I hope I have enough credit for this to count for something.

Sarah.

Last edited:

I visit AARland at least once per day, sometimes even more. I love reading AARs (and commenting on them :D), but I'm also always looking for some good writing tips. (for my own attempt when the time comes)

- a. Main Page
- b. Game Pages

I usually start at the CK Game Page, mostly because I have bookmarked the CK forum, and that is the quickest way from the forums to AARland.

I visit the main page to get an idea of what things are happening around here, but also because its a quickest gateway to all the AAR forums.

- a. Every visit

See above.

Depends on how much time I have and what AARs I see. I can spend anywhere between 10 mins and 2 hours. :D If I don't finding anything interesting, I go at intervals of ~30 mins to see if some AARs I follow got updated.

- a. Good

I think it has helped immensly with centralizing the AAR forums. Because of this, I have actually read a few of HoI AARs, that I normally wouldn't visit. (because I don't play HoI/am bad at it =\\ ) Vicky AARs also got more attention, though I would have visited them sometime anyway. It is also good to have one single place to read about all the writing tips someone would ever need.

- b. Somewhat likely

For games I don't own, I prefer AARs with a lot of pictures, that help me understand the game better. :)

Before, I was reading about 15. Now, since I have less time, I'm only following ~5, and I don't think I'll be increasing that number much more.

- b. Some

Unfortunately, most of the projects here are directed to AAR writers, which I don't yet belong to. However, I'm reading the Gazette, and lovin' it. ;D

- a. Useful

Well, the Gazette helped me a lot, and explained a lot of things to me. Thats as far as my knowledge reaches, though.

- b. Sometimes

Well, the Gazette doesn't update everyday, aye? And I have checked the LibrAARies only a few times. :( I simply don't have time to search for old AARs, if I can't even keep up with the current ones. :D

The Gazette; its the only one I actually have any practical knowledge of. :D

- a. Helpful

Speaking as a newbie to AAR writing (I have yet to write one), it has explained many of the different things needed for an AAR, and I'm guessing it probably had such an effect on everyone. :)

- c. Never

Actually, I always forget about them. =\\

- a. Good
- c. Improving

I can't really tell much, except from the point of a reader, but I defienately see an improvement in writing. And all the projects help immensly, I suppose.

Nothing particulary important.

Well, there's the survey from the point of a reader. :)

I have not been around long, but I hope I have enough credit for this to count for something

sliver legion - you do and thank you! Other newer folks - notice that is was not so hard for Sarah. Let's hear from you as well. :D

Also, I am thinking up a survey to offer the newer members that might help us gain more of a perspective on those issues as well. Look for it soon, but I will wait to give this one AARland's full attention.

Duly noted, V. I have added the bAARs to question #10 if anyone wishes to go back and edit their answers regarding that question and for future respondants to the survey.

Edited take a look.