• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mike von Bek

Lt. General
95 Badges
Jun 28, 2002
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Ancient Space
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
So, I just read the synopsis for 1421, by Gavin Menzies and also the informative thread over on the History Forum 1421: The Year China Discovered America?? and I was contemplating the essential What If, and thinking about building a scenario around it.

What If Zheng Ho led the Chinese Treasure Fleet to South America, and established contact with the Inca? Ignoring HOW he got there, I was wondering what kind of events could we drum up, pre-1532 (when the Spaniards overthrew Inca).

Some that have popped into my head are:

- Exposure to Chinese diseases. Perhaps not as virulent as the European ones, but would still do some serious damage.
- Trade between the two empires (Jade, Turquoise, Rock Crystal, etc)
- Introduction of horses - Tibetan horses a gift from the Chinese Emperor?
- Inca w/ Chinese help conquer the local tribes speedier than IRL

After that, my brain starts to focus on larger events - upgrading the Inca to the Asian tech group, to simulate the exchange of ideas. The introduction of the wheel, of writing (Chinese hieroglyphics, or a set of their own), of Buddhism.

The idea is not to create an unstoppable Incan beast, but rather to create an interesting scenario for Chinese/Incan players that may or may not end in 1532. After all, the Europeans conquered China as well - Inca, even with China's help, could hardly stand against them.

Can anyone think of any other events that would fit with this scenario? Situations that should be included? Right now, my biggest problem is dealing with the Incan belief that there were only so many Emperors to go (they were right, incidentally).

Sounds very interesting, if a little wacky. :)

As to the Incan belief of a limited number of emperors before tad tum tad, why not create a whole series of events where the Spanish find them, and then the Chinese realise that their trading partner is being taken away from them, and salvage the southern half of the incas while the Spanish have taken the northern half. ;)

Yeah, its a little whacky - but so is 1421. 500 foot long ships, anyone?

I like the idea - one could turn it into a quasi-Vietnam style proxy-war. Chinese backed Incan rebels in the South, struggling to reclaim their homeland. You might want to look at Manco Capac, the Great Rebel who almost did succeed in throwing the Spaniards out. See http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/M/MancoC1ap2.asp

Want to flesh it out some?

Have you read the Kim Stanley Robinson book 'The Years of Rice and Salt'? There's a scenario around about it, but basically Europe is destroyed by the Black Plague leaving the world to the Indians, Muslims and China. In it Robinson details a Chinese fleet being caught in the current that circles the Pacific. The current pulls the fleet around the northern Pacific and the Chinese land on the west coast of North America, later sailing further south to meet the Aztec & Inca peoples. The fleet (or rather what's left of it) makes it back to China with tales of huge amounts of gold, leading to a Spanish-type scenario with the Chinese moving in. I think your idea of a trading partnership is more interesting than just replacing Spain with China, but at least Robinson has a possible explanation for how Chinese sailers could reach the Americas. Funnily enough I actually tried something similar just by altering save-game files in an AGCEEP 1.08 game due to my interest in the Robinson book, giving the Inca and Chinese knowledge of each other's capitals and a sea route between the two countries along with the Inca getting the China tech group. It was quite fun, I played the Inca, holding off the Spaniards and then using the AGCEEP Inca explorer to colonise Tahiti and later on in the game Australia. It was quite amusing to see elite Incan troops (Land & Quality levels at 10) participating as an allied contingent in the second Chinese invasion of Japan...

Yes, Ive read the book. I had forgotten the current, but that does give us an apt reason to get the Chinese to America quickly and with little effort. The idea of a corridor strikes me as rather neat - we can have possible colonisation in America, whilst leaving Australia wide open for future colonisation...

Does the current actually exist for real? If so, whats it called?

Although we shouldnt rule out the possiblity of an Incan/Chinese conflict, particularly pre-1532, and the arrival of the Spanish. Not a major thing, but more of a small conflict with the Incan's rising up against the Chinese' decadent morals, and technology - writing was banned in Inca, so for the Chinese to use it so brazenly... which could lead to the Chinese trouncing Incan booty, and establishing a more palatable 'regime'.

Ultimately, Id like to see Inca end up as a quasi-China by the late stages of the game - ie someone who doesnt quite get conquered by the Europeans, but is certainly under their sway. Will have to study more Chinese history...

But this is good, Im liking this. More ideas, folks!

Yes there's three major current systems in the Pacific, one in the North, one in the South and one on the equator. www.physicalgeography.net has some pretty good pictures of these. I wouldn't mind a China/Inca conflict, I just wouldn't want it to be a direct Spanish-substitution sort of affair. I think it would be fairly easy to have some sort of diplomatic problem fall into a small conflict, but it would be easy to have the conflict sputter out following a quick Chinese victory or due to the sheer distance involved. Then you can have some sort of event series for the Inca having the 'Value of Gold' type events followed by purchases of horses and other new tech, possibly some +500 Infrastructure/ + 500 trade events as well and the Chinese could have some events where they get some ducats and naval tech. Later game maybe the Chinese could work with the Inca to counter the Portugese, with Inca guerilla tactics against Portugese-Brazil after Portugal moves into southern China etc. I'm sure there's a whole lot that could be done. Actually I loved your Rise of the Condor AAR and it may have been part of my inspiration for my little save-game editing adventure. I also created a little event for an Inca discovery of the Amazon river which basically involved a conquistador (to go down the central south american corridor) to simulate a party of Inca travelling down the river to the Atlantic similarly to a group of Spaniards who did so in real life. This was kind of cool cause then Inca can set up colonies at the river mouth where the Portugese and Spanish AI rarely does (at least in my experience) although it does take a hell of a lot of infantry casualties to fight your way through the psycho natives. But it's better than sitting there with the time on fast while you wait for a random event!

It looks like the Kuroshio current is a perfect match for our needs - heads East from the Sea of Japan, reaches California, and heads South, before heading West back to China. Obviously in our ATL Zheng Ho gets on the current, crosses the Pacific, sites California then maps the coast.

Of course, that would mean they'd meet the Aztecs first, but for some reason the two powers dont gel as well as the Inca and the Chinese. Different government structures, maybe - there were a great deal of similarities between Inca and China - Divine Emperor, highly stratified culture where things never changed, etc. etc. Im clutching at straws :p

I agree that replacing the Spanish conquest of Inca with a Chinese one is lame. A minor conflict/argument that as you say, fizzles out would be best. The Chinese have military dominance, but are unable to do more than defend their bases sort of thing. Something to spice up the history, and as you say keep the Inca game from being extraordinarily dull.

Ah, Rise of the Condor. That game was a lot of fun, but very difficult to write - simply because nothing happened. This is, in part, an effort to alleviate that.

A few months ago I had plans for a thing like this but then the ACW and ATF scenarios came on my path.

Within a few weeks, when I have read the book, it is allready in my bookcase, I will join you.

Excellent, our numbers grow!

I will attempt to code some basic events this weekend - the initial meeting, spread of disease, Chinese purchase a port/establish a colony (to base trading at), Incan learn from Chinese (gain wheel and horse), Incan gold to China, and perhaps a few nudges toward conquering the local tribes. Im currently debating on whether they should go for the Aztecs or not - maybe base that around 1532 so that we have a somewhat similar situation as compared to RL (ie Inca distracted, at war).

At present I'll be concentrating solely on Incan ideas, but obviously Im eventually going to have to 'fix' the Chinese as well.

More ideas! More scenarios!

Mike von Bek said:
More ideas!

Well' I think in the end we need to turn around the major positions in the world a bit. China has to take the role of Spain, France and England all in one. Will be a cracker.

I've read the book, too (at Mosby's suggestion). I don't think Menzies is right on the mapping of the new world and Antarctica (particularly) (much of it seems to be "someone had to have in order to get these early portolan maps") and I have read other, perhaps more feasible (in my mind) explanations, but I like the idea nonetheless. I'll help where I can. And I'm back, so I'll have to change my sig.

A possible instigation for a Chinese attack could be a royal family style civil war similar to the one already in the game, with two brothers contesting the throne, one of which seeks support from the Chinese. The Chinese could be granted lands or huge amounts of gold in return for supplying one candidate with troops, iron weapons etc.

As for discovering the Aztecs first, well I see no reason why a Chinese expedition couldn't be on the receiving end of some very hostile behaviour by the Aztecs.

Attacking the Chinese delegates on the beaches or taking them prisoner and cutting out their hearts is a pretty good way of detering any kind of government interaction! A slightly more civilised meeting with the Inca would probably result in the Chinese deciding to ignore the Aztecs in favour of Inca, especially if they were not initially aware of the Aztecs having just as much gold.

And as the esteemed Singleton Mosby said we would have to have some sort of scenario for how the European powers would react to finding China in the New World as well.

Both scenarios work for me. Now, if only we could do a proper civil war, ala Spain in HOI. The civil war scenario could also later lead to conflict with the Chinese, particulary if they got an extremely good deal for helping one of the brothers. Too good a deal in fact.

Civil War + Chinese help... its almost missing something... ah! Europeans! Make it happen around 1530's, and get the other brother to beg the Europeans for help. No doubt in return for land and gold.

Things could get very messy, very quickly!

So far Im liking what were seeing - the scenario is beggining to form a somewhat coherent structure. And it looks like it could be quite a lot of fun for the Inca player.

On a strictly OT note, Mike what are you still doing awake. I'm in Canberra (in what you WA residents quaintly refer to as 'The East') and even with the time difference that means you're up late. I've got an excuse cause I work nights, don't you have work or school or something to do in the mornings? Not that I mind you understand, it gives me something to do while I'm here, other than working of course :D

Hum... What if instead of creating a whole new scenario (or along with it) this would be an event for AGC? Something like "Strange Yellow Man from the Sea - should we contact them?" for the Incas, or "Lost Expedition Returns With Tales of Another Continent - should we belive such tales?" for the Chinese - both with the 5% clasical chance for the AI to accept.

Last edited:
Maku said:
On a strictly OT note, Mike what are you still doing awake. I'm in Canberra (in what you WA residents quaintly refer to as 'The East') and even with the time difference that means you're up late. I've got an excuse cause I work nights, don't you have work or school or something to do in the mornings? Not that I mind you understand, it gives me something to do while I'm here, other than working of course :D

Work? Phooey! Actually, Im doing a study prog. at the moment - six months to cover a whole bunch of Microsoft Certifications. Thus, I can stay up late occasionally if Im 'studying'. Oh hell, I stay up late on worknights too :p

So lots of time for EU!

th3freakie said:
Hum... What if instead of creating a whole new scenario (or along with it) this would be an event for AGC? Something like "Strange Yellow Man from the Sea - should we contact them?" for the Incas, or "Lost Expedition Returns With Tales of Another Continent - should we belive such tales?" for the Chinese - both with the 5% clasical chance for the AI to accept.

Well, despite Menzies 'theories' I think its pretty ahistorical. The Sixth Fleet of Zheng Ho was tasked to return ambassadors to the East anyway, so were taking it an extremely ahistorical direction, which I think is against the idea of the AGC/EEP.

The Inca already do have an explorer event in the EEP, I think - not sure about AGC. A human player could use that to discover China, but I think most of us use it to discover Hawaii/Tahiti, or South America.

Mike von Bek said:
That is an extraordinarily good timeline, bar Aztec rather than Inca. We can fix that quite quickly though. Thanks Lucky 13!

Lucky :wacko:

No problem :)