• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(27302)

Second Lieutenant
Mar 29, 2004
This is my first Vicky Aar and my 3rd Vicky game.
I am playing the Papal States in the Grand Campaign

Prolouge

After many years of fighting and territory negotiatians the Papal States were by March 3rd 1843 in control of most of Italy. The Pope. Julius Diminuis only elected 10 years previous was in most parts well loved by his populace. When he had assumed power he had been automaticly faced with a an aggressive incident involving Modena, who had been fuding smugglers and rebels in the nation. He ordered the culprits publicly executed and publicly condemned Modena as a nation of thieves, dwindlers and criminals. He then proceded to expell the state from the Roman Catholic religion. This undoubtedly caused outrage amongst the nation of Modena. Then for a year everything was peaceful in the mediteranean with the Papal States concentrating on compromising with taxes and trading but there was always a grudge between them and Modena. But in March 1835 the Pope declared that the state of Modena should not have the right to be independent and to not act against them would be criminal negligence. And so on March 17th The Papal States declared war upon the state of Modena and the Papal Staes Army consisting of two Infantry divisons, one with artillery marched on Modena and when they arrived in the city they were met by a weak but determined enemy. The battle took only 3 hours and the Modena Army was soon enialated and the Papal States Soldiers began securing the surrouding areas and as the province of Modena was nearly totally secured by Papal soldiers news came that an Austrian Army was marching on the province of Ferrera as to uphold the treaty which they held with Modena. On the other hand Modena’s other ally the Stae Of Parma sent an emissary to Rome asking for peace, it was dutifully accepted by the Pope. A few days after Modena was secured and the Papal Armies prepared to move out and intercept the Austrian Armies they were greeted with a stroke of luck for at that moment a score of rebellions took place over all of Austrian Empire and the Austrian Army marching to Ferrera was ordered back to help quell a nearby rebellious province. The Pope took this as a sign that he was destined by God for victory and ordered that the neighbouring Modena province of Massa be secured which it was and soon the state of Modena was annexed into the Papal States. The whole of Rome rejoiced and the Pope made a speech in St. Peters basilica of how a rotten part of the Italian statedom had been banished and its leaders exiled so they could not cast their corrupt ideas on any other state. In fact the leaders of Modena had been shipped out to the remote deserts of the middle east which for a Catholic was not good news.

The Pope then turned his attention to Austria and sent his Army into the Austrian Province of Padua and offered the Austrian King a compromise.

In return for the Austrian Provinces of Padua and Verona, which were seen as predominatly Italian, a peace could resume between their nations.

Austria hastily agreed to the terms as the internal rebellions were beginning to seriously endanger the Empire and it seemed to be crumbling apart.
The Papal States was a quiet place for the next two years as trade and expanding the armed forces became the main priority but the Pope had tried twice in vain to purchase land from the Empire of Tunis.

In May 1837 a large revolt took place in the neighbouring State of Parma and after a while it looked like the Rebels were winning and so the Pope made a public speech declaring that any state which could allow its people to want to rebel against it was in no way fit to govern themselves and dispatched his army named ‘Popes Army’ to the Province of Parma and declared war upon the them as the first troops marched into Parma territory. Upholding the defence treaty signed with Parma the state of Lucca followed suit and made a DoW on the Papal States, but after The Battle Of Parma were the Army Of Parma was destroyed as was the Rebel Army which arrived on the Batlefield soon after the first battle, it regreted ever getting involved. The Popes Army then without loosing anytime left the wounded behind under medical supervision and broke into the city of Parma were another rebel army waited behind blockades but they were no match for the Popes Army and were heavily outnumbered and by the end of the day the city was under the control of Popes Army as was the entire state within a week with all the rebels rooted out and executed, the population of Parma was left rather diminished but were soon joint by citizens of the Papal States who took up the work needed to be done. Parma was thus emerged into the Papal States and Lucca after its offer of peace was turned down was invaded, captured and annexed also.

This was the extent of the Papal States territory by the close of 1838 and they soon looked to be one of the dominant powers emerging from the statedeoms of Italy.

PS- I have currently played the game up until March 5th 1943 but am relaying the events of what happened before and it is sort of an intoroduction. My next post will be the last part of the introduction which includes:

- Popes Navy being created
- The Papal-Scillian war- Tuscan independence violated
-
AND MORE

Final Prolouge

The year of 1841 went by seeing a lot of things happening in the Papal States. Taxes were increased slightly to try and generate enough money to start an expedition into parts of Africa. A large gang war developed in the city of Lucca were the two gangs fought each other openly on the streets due to a lack of Police in the area and was not quelled for 2 days where a large fight ensued and 34 Polizie lost their lives and after the battle when the two gangs had been severely beaten 68 gang members were tried in Rome and executed on the charge of Gross Anti Social behaviour and being involved in Criminal dealings. The Pope blamed the incident on the lack of security during the time it was administered by the state of Lucca. The next week was spent searching for the remaining gang members and a further 39 were rounded up and executed after imprisonment was seen to be to merciful. The next few months went on, generating more money into the coffers and by April a new Transport ship was launched and was soon joint by a frigate and the two created the Popes Navy and were harbourded in Rome. A new Infantry Division with Artillery was recruited at the end of the month also and was merged into the Popes Army. During the months until December the Papal States sepnt a lot of time improving relations (and spying) on the state of Tuscany and an alliance was formed which was based on defensive priciples. December saw education and security standards improved and taxes on the poor were decreased and those on the Rich increased and once again the Pope was turned down by the Empire Of Tunis to purchase some of their land and gain a foothold on the African continent.

The next few years saw thePapal States tresury increase tenfold and at the beginning of 1843 a new Colonial Infantry Division was formed which showed that the pope had prospects of the Papel Sates becoming a ‘Colonial Power’. The Popes Army was sent to Rome and parraded the 10th Anniversary of the Pope being in Power and little did anyone know how well fortuned that move was for a week after the anniversary the Kingdom Of The Two Sicilies declared war on Tuscany and held an amphibious attack on the province of Livorno but was beaten back by a determined defense by Tuscan Infantry. Thus through this act of war the Papel States were thrown into a rather unexpected war and the Pope ordered an attack on the Kingdom Of The Two Sicillies and the Popes Army soon invaded the province of Napoli were the experience and leadership of their Army proved vital in the Battle Of Napoli were the 3 Division strong Popes Army faced the 4 division strong Army Of The Two Sicillies and the battle raged for 5 days before the Colonial Infantry Divison captured the province of L’Aquilla and broke the enemies right flank which was there weakest and routed the army who took refuge in the city of Napoli but were hunted down viciously and slaughtered. As Napoli was succesfully controlled the Tuscan Army staged an amphibious assualt at Cantanzaro but were beaten back by The Kingdom Of Sicillies remaining infantry divison and the Tuscan navy defeated by the vastly superior enemy fleet. A week later the Popes Army looked in place to control Salerno when the enemies remaining last divison was put to sea and was about to land by sea on Rome in a daring plot but luckily the unguarded transport vessel was intercepted by a Tuscan Man O War and with the last of The Kindom Of Sicillies Army gone they offered peace terms whuich gave the Papal Sates every province apart from Napoli and Palmero which was accepted by the pope and the Papal States soon become the possesors of all of 9/10’s of Southern Italy.

Everything was peaceful and the Popes Army prepared to return to Rome for a victory parade when all hell broke loose and a rebellion broke out in the Province of Taranto and the Popes Army rushed to the province to end the rebellion. At that point though the Papal States was the most dominant power on the Italian mainland with it controlling land from Verona in the North to Messina in the South and a Great Nation had now been crippled and was great no more, the Kingdom Of The Two Sicillies was now a mere dominion.

Chapter 1.0

papal.jpg

The Popes Dream

It was very dark in the corridor which was only lit by a few gas lamps and the spiral staircase was even darker. Fabrizo Gandereli ran up the spirals with eagerness and often stubbed a toe when he missteped. As he neared the top he was getting rather worn out and a bead of sweat trickled down his forehead as he halted to regain his breathe. He could hear the two guards whom guarded the Popes quarters but could not see them, but it did not matter for they spoke Swiss and of that language he knew nothing. They were talking in frantic voices and so they should, ‘The Pope Had Had A Vision’.
Fabrizo regained his step and came out of the spirals and into the corridor. The two guards once they saw him stopped talking and stood to attention. The dim light flickered on there blue and orange uniforms and glinted on the halberds.
“Sir” the two guards shouted, this time in Italian. The big oak door was opened and Fabrizo rushed into the heavily decorated room where the Pope slept. Two men stood over the Pope who lay in his big wooden four poster bed. The two men, who were monks, greeted Fabrizo and mentioned that now was best for them to leave.
The monks left from the door Fabrizo had just enterred and as soon as the door clicked shut Fabrizo knelt by the Popes bed and grabbed at a bed sheet.

“My holiness what is it, ive heard you’ve had a vision, is it true, speak to me your reverendship.”

The Pope who was only in his late fifties sat up and leant against his wooden carved bedhead, he stared at Fabrizo with pale, misty eyes. “I indeed have had a vision, in which the Lord came to me.”

Fabrizo nodded eagerly

“And of what did he ask of me you may ask” the Pope said with a blank expression on his face.

Fabrizo nodded again

“He asked of me to do one thing: To unite the Italian people under the banner of the Vatican and to bring the faith to a united Italian Nation.”

“But we are in control of most of the Italian continent” Fabrizo said confusedly.

“But we are not in control of all of it, we have Tuscany to consider and also Sardinia-Piedmonte grow stronger everyday and they too must be brought under the banner of the Vatican as God commanded of me.”

“But sir, Tuscany are our allies, we have a closer bond to them than any other nation or state” Fabrizo pleaded.

“I have been given an order by his divineship, and I dare not disobey him, I do not want to have to go to war with our brothers in Tuscany who share our faith but have been commanded to and so I and the State must oblige our Lord God, and I am sure we will be rewarded” the Pope said confidently.

“I see you are not to be persuaded on this subject and I shall order for your army to be despatched to part of the Tuscan border, but I ask of you this, what about their alliance with Sardinia-Piedmonte”?

“And I answer you this, the Lord has given me an opportunity to do a religious deed for him and I am sure he will be on our side, however bad it may get we shall deliver”

“Of course your Holiness, I shall see to the proceedings immediately” and with that Fabrizo bowed, crossed himself and marched across the wooden floorboards and left.

As he started his desecent back down the spiral staircase he wondered, “How were they to accomplish such a feat, the army seemed not big enough to fight Tuscany and Sardiania Piedmonte together, we are in gods hands and must do as he wishes” he crossed himslef again and hoped all would work out in the end.

Very Good!

Chapter 1.1

The first War Of Unification

The Pope makes a speech from the Vatican telling of his dream and that God had given him a gift however temporarily to prophosize. He told of how God wished for a united Italian Nation under the Roman Catholic Vatican Banner and that from a direct commandement from God he was forced to declare war upon the State Of Tuscany. He spoke of how even as he spoke his army marched across Tuscan fields towards the city of Firenze and that they had orders to engange the Tuscan army camped their, in battle. To this he recieved wild applause and a patriotic/religious fever swept the Papal States and this War Of Unification soon brought worldwide attention and no nation did anything but observed appart from Sadinia Piedmonte who upheld their treaty with Tuscany and declared war on the Papal States whom they broadcasted were using false religious pretences as justification to control the Italian continent.

stpeters-vatican.jpg

Crowds gather to hear the Pope tell of his vision

The Battle Of Firenze turns out to be a fierce and bloody one and goes on for many weeks, this is not what the Papal commanders had hoped for, they wanted a quick and decisive battle, but it was not to be. As the Popes Army were tied up in Firenze the Sardinian Piedmonte armies marched on Parma and as coincidence had it, a day after The Battle Of Firenze which saw a victorious and bigger Popes Army route two Tuscan Infantry divisions that Sardinia Piedmonte soldiers crossed into Parma and also as the province of Firenze was finally secured from all Tuscan soldiers that so too was Parma of all Papal soldiers. Sardinia Piedmonte soon marches on Modena and as for the meanwhile Tuscan forces are in dissaray the Popes Army marches to Modena and arrives just in time to defeat a Sardiana Piedmonte invasion force of tow divisons and secure the province, but as they do Sardinia Piedmonte’s other invasion force takes the province of Mussa and the Colonial Infantry division which had been used to defeat the previous rebellion would not be able to reach any battlefield in time and they could not be shipped as Sardinia Piedmonte blockaded the mediteranenan. Another Sardinia Piedmonte army arrives in Modena but are repulsed on the 16th Sept and the Pope offers them a peace treaty which entitles them to the provinces of Parma and Mussa, it is accepted. This he explains is vital as so the Papal States don’t have to fight a two front war. As the Popes Army marches onto the Tuscan capital of Lizerno and as this is happening an unknown Tuscan infantry division with artilery support invade the province of Grosseto and butcher and rape the populace whilst they take control of it. No Papal army is in any position to do anything at that moment as an Austrian Army takes advantage of the Papal States seeming vunerability and invades the province of Verona which by Nov 18th is under their control. The Colonial Infantrty division is shipped to Padua were they proceed to contain the Austrian force which although outnumbers them greatly does nothing.
The attrocities caused by the Tuscan soldiers in Grosseto are told of all over the world and any support for the Tuscan cause died down. The last remaining Tuscan province of Siena is captured by Papal forces on the 29th December and the Popes Army prepares to apprehend the Tuscan soldiers controlling the province of Grossino.

h-napole.jpg

Tuscan infantry searching the Grossoto countryside for a target to loot and people to murder and rape

As the Popes Army marches on Grossino Austrian troops leave the city of Verona as another major rebellion is threatening the Empire and Verona is soon back under Papal control. The Popes Army reaches Grossoto to be greeted by scenes of massacre and horror and the Popes Army catches up with the now retreating Tuscan Infantry division and slaughters the lot of them, not a single Tuscan survives. Grossoto is soon under control again and the state of Tuscany surrenders and is annexed into the Papal State. Austria asks the Pope for peace and the Pope obliges but warns this will be the last time, as Austria have shown that they are not trustworthy. The Papal State ‘licks its wounds’ and the months until April are used to count the dead and administer the newly gained territory. On April 13th Scillian rebel rise up in the undefended city of Cantanzarno and kill the local Polezie, they declare that they want to Cantanzarno to be given back to the Dominion Of The Two Sicillies. They are soon defeated but for the remainder of the year numerous similar revolts occur but are crushed and at the beginning of the new year a lot of money is spent improving education systems and crime fighting capabilities

Hmm, A Papal AAR, well you gotta bring Christianity somehow to everyone, why not force it? :D

Black Lotus said:
Hmm, A Papal AAR, well you gotta bring Christianity somehow to everyone, why not force it? :D

Not Christianity, Roman Catholicism!

Chapter 1.2

i)Austrian Punishment

The large oval domed room was silent, the pope sat in his magnificently carved, engraved and gold encrusted throne in silence. He was on his own if you discarded the four Swiss guards guarding the entrances into the room. All that could be heard was the trickle of water from a holy water fountain which protruded from a wall by the northern entrance.

vatican.jpg

The foremost part of the Popes Throne and the vast dome which engulfed the room.

The northern entrance oak doors were swung open and Fabrizo Gandereli strolled in closely followed by an important military looking figure who wore the Papal Uniform of a Field Marshall.

Milan2.jpg

Self Portrait of Fabrizo Ganereli, who fancied himself as an artist in his spare time.

Milan.jpg

Portrait of Field Marshall Henrico

“Your Holiness” Fabrizo called as he knelt, the FM copied his actions also.

“Fabrizo Ganereli, you have kept me waiting” the Pope said in a dispassionate voice.

“Unavoidable sir, with the recent Sicillian rebellions in Messina and what with trying to organize the building of factories around the state it is very hard to just drop what im doing, but my sincere apologies” Fabrizo swiped off his green velveted plumed hat in a sign of apology.

“Apology accepted, maybe you have been given responsibility for to many goings on in the State” the Pope considered.

“My feelings exactly, your Holiness the reason I have brought FM Henrico here with me is that I wish him to assume responsibility for the Papal Armed Forces as I feel I need to concentrate on diplomatic and internal matters much more thouroughly.”

“If that is what you want, so be it.”

“Thankyou, your most understanding” Fabrizo said showing he’s appreciation.

“Now then FM Henrico as you have just been appointed the new Chief Of Armed Forces for the state I feel I shall now tell you the reason of why I have called you here”

Both Fabrizo and FM Henrico nodded eagerly.

“A few days ago crimnal elements whom belonged to a group smuggling goods into the country, as so not to be taxed on them, were captured and they were found to be of Austrian nationality. Of course naturally the Austrian government refused any such participation in these illegal exploits but I beg to differ. The same sort of circumstances happened, if I remember, with the state of Modena and relations with them declined rapidly over the years and we ended up going to war with them. Such will be the case I fear with Austria, but I propose to strike now, rebellions plauge the Austrian Empire and the nearest Austrian troops to our border are in Trieste.”

“You want to go to war with Austria” FM Henrico said astonished.

“You think it is foolish” asked the Pope

“I think it is foolish but not imposible, if the nearest Austrian troops are in Trieste, and rebellions are common in that area than we could be Trevisio before they can mobolize effectivly”

“Not Trevisio, but Udine” the Pope spoke cooly.

“But my Holiness, Udine is under the control of rebels, Austrian insurgents whom are in control of the city.”

“And so all the more easier it will be to defeat them, they are not a trained army like mine”

“If you wish such a thing then so be it, I shall travel with the Papal Armies up to the Austrain border immediately” FM Henrico said in an authoriative tone.

“Excellent and tomorrow I shall make a speech in St Peters Basillica about the circumstances which have caused us to go to war”

FM Henrico bows and scrapes to the Pope then leaves the room.

“And what do you think of my plan, Fabrizo?”

“I have recently come to trust what ever you think is right, but I thought we were pursuing the Unification Of Italy?”

“We are, we are, but Austria must be shown that what they’ve done is illegal not only in social law but also religious and it is my duty I feel to punish them.”

“Of course, I must beg of your leave now your Holiness as I have important matters to attend to, if you don’t mind that is.”

“Yes, do go, ill be in touch.

Fabrizo bowed, kissed the Popes hand before he left the room. It was silent again and the Pope decided he would take a nap in his throne, he rested his head upon a shoulder and dozed off”.”

Excelent start. Fabrizo seems not to be quite the adventurer that Garibaldi was, but I think he'l work. Ill keep watching.

Very promising beginning. It seems the Austrian revolts are helping you out quite a bit. Let us hope it continues!

Chapter 1.3

ii) Austrian Punishment

On February 3rd the Pope made his DoW in St.Peters Basilica to a stunned and shocked but nonetheless patriotic crowd. He proudly announced that Austria would be taught a lesson and that they will eventually learn ‘what is right and what is wrong’. The Papal’s citizens cheered and thousand of miles away the Papal’s soldiers marched, they marched through streams, fields and over bridges enjoying the sun which shone over the countryside of Trevisio and the cool breeze which shuffled through the olive tree’s which lined the roads. These soldiers were greeted and cheered by the Italians who lived under Austrian rule and many farmers joint the ranks of the Popes Army but were politely turned away being told that it was not their place and to their agricultural contributions could help to feed the armies of the Pope.

kyrtab.jpg

A Papal Cavalryman resting

As Austria learnt of the Papal's DoW they were momentarily unable to take any action as they had been shook by a great deal many number of rebellions and could not spare the soldiers to confront the Papal invaders. Thus within a few weeks the Popes Army had peacefully taken control of the province of Treviso. At this time however a revolt took place in the province of Foggia and a new division specifically tasked with such a predicament confronted them and a battle raged and soon the 2st Colonial Infantry who had just crushed a revolt in Sicily were called on to help.

A few days into the securation of Treviso the Popes Army heard of an approaching Austrian Kavallerie Division commanded by a famous General named Reinlader and they marched to meet this threat. Thus a battle took place in the rural areas of Trento and the Kavalerie Divison despite Reinladers best efforts were ‘put to fly’ and Trento soon came under the control of the Papal States. The victory was short lived though as more Austrian reinforcements bacame available and another battle ensued a few miles from the old battlefield but this too was repulsed. At this same time the rebellion in Foggia raged more firecely than ever before and both sides had heavy casualties.
Another Austrian army attacked and another battle fumed and the Austrians soon reinforced this army with another two divisons and by June 5th more than 80,000 men were involved in the battle. As the battle of Trento took place the rebels from Udine showed they cared for no nation and advanced on Treviso.
The battle for Trento ends in an Austrian retreat and the soldiers involved can now be despatched to defeat the Udine rebels now in Treviso, which turns out to be a short battle and many of the Rebels are slaughtered and the rest are captured and executed, so is the price for treason, whatever nationality you are. Austrian soldiers enter Udine now that the rebels arent their and consolidate their forces so that on August 3rd the massed Austrian Army attacks the Popes Army camped at Trento and a battle the size of which had never been seen before took place with more than 155,000 men fighting on one stretch of land. As the battle occurs rebels uprise in Padua but are crushed by an amphibious asssualt by a new Papal infantry divison who go on to occupy Venice.
‘The Battle Of Catholics’ as the battle in Trento came to be known in years to come raged for many months but gradually the Austrian soldiers morale and lack of logistics affected their fighting capabilities and the Austrian Army after suffering an 89% casualty rate surrenders on September 30th leaving the Austrian Empire virtualy defenceless.

koniggratz_bg.jpg

Austrian positions at 'The Battle Of The Catholics'

ulmsurrender.jpg

The Austrian Commanders surrender on the field at 'The Battle Of The Catholics'

The rebellion in Foggia finaly comes to an end with the rebels being enialated and the Popes Army slowly takes control of Austrian province after province and on November 1st the Austrian Government and Monarchy ask for a peace negotiation which is held in Trento the scene of so much death and suffering and Austria grant sheer numbers of territory to the Papal states. This is as the following

Brescia
Milano
Bergamo
Bozen
Udine
Bozen
Bregenz
Innsbruck
Trieste
Pola
Zell am See
Lienz
Klagenfurt
Idrsko
Postojna
Ogulin
Karlovar
Senj
Zadar
Split
Dubrovnik

Virtually Austria lost all of her territory on the Adriatic coast apart from the small Port town of Fiume and a strip of land south of Montenegro named Kotor. They were also able to keep Trento the scene of so much death, but it was made a free city in all neccesity.

Austria as the Pope had said had been taught a lesson, and punished in front of the entire world. But the Papal States had left Austria in a vunerable position as they had no national army any more to defend themselves with and although the rebellions had calmed, when they started they would not be able to be contained as they had before!

54-820.jpg

Rebels such as these are rife amongst the rural areas of Austria

Last edited:
Pope Julius Diminius

nwk_033001_popes_03.jpg

One of the few portraits of Pope Julius Diminuis

Last edited:
Chapter 1.4

The Free Nations Of Austria

It was a warm day but a little overcast and a few puffs of grey cloud could be seen in the distance. Birds chirped nevertheless and a few wasps and bees buzzed around the flowers.
The Pope and Fabrizo Gandereli strolled slowly around the Popes private garden sanctuary. Fabrizo was talking in a quite urgent manner and seemed frustrated by the Popes lack of intrest.

romepic9.jpg

The Popes private garden sanctuary, a haven of peace and rest

“Your Holiness, even as we speak the Austrian Empire is collapsing. As I have already said, but I think you do not understand how bad this is, small kindoms are declaring independence from the Empire. Already three large kingdoms have been established such as Ukraine, Poland and Croatia, Croatia even rising up in the Austrian holdings on the Adriatic coast and seizing power.”

kawaleria.gif

Southern Polish Independance parade, in the capital Tarnow.

dhm094.jpg

Croatian rebels enter the Capital Zagreb after claiming independance.

“Fabrizo, people will always want to rule themselves, and with Austria in its recent vunerability they have taken a great opportunity and I do believe the new nation of Southern Poland are thanking me as being directly responsible for delivering them such an opportunity to be free” the Pope boasted.

“That is all very well but the situation is all rather unstable, for instance although Southern Poland praise the Papal States they have a claim on the recently declared independent state of Kracow and a war could ensue” Fabrizo said worriedly.

“That is the way of life, men will always want war, Southern Poalnd also have territorrial claims on Prussia and they dream of the day that Northern Poland ruled by Prussia can reunite with them to form a mighty Polish Nation. I see that much as the re-unification of Italy.”

Fabrizo kicked at a flower angrily, “How about the new nation of Croatia then, they are still internally unstable and have claims, although they respect you and the Papals, on our part of the Dalmatian coast.”

“Fabrizo calm down, all is well , the Austrian Empire was always going to crumble for two many diffrernt peoples were ruled under the Hasburg flag. But I will tell you this though, I shall guarantee the Independence od Southern Poland, a truly Catholic nation.

“Croatia is Catholic” Fabrizo pointed out.

“I know and so have allegiance to me, but as you said they are still a rather unstable country but when they sort out their internal predicament I shall honour their independence.”

“And what of the Ukraine?” asked Fabrizo.

“The Ukraine concern me not, I have no intrest in an Orthodox nation, but they will more than likely take advantage of Russia’s retreat from the Crimea and take back some land.”

“Yes Russia are suffering badly from the Crimean war, Britian control all of the crimea now and are pussing north and the Ottoman Empire are gobbling up vast amounts of Russian territory as are Prussia who now control all of the Baltics.”

r22-10.jpg

A scene of battle in the Crimean war, Sevastapol front.

“Yes I think I shall speak out against the Ottomans agression, we cant have a heathen country humiliating a Chrisitan nation even if they are Orthodox.” The Pope said unexpectedly.

“Wont that cause unrest between our nations” Fabrizo said uneasily.

“It more than likely will but the Ottoman Empire, or Turks for that is all they are, do not share our religion and it is a pity to see such a nation as Russia mutilated by the Hordes of the Untrue God Allah”

“Ah, yes” Fabrizo said awkwardly.

The Pope sat on a bench and stared ar Fabrizo, “ What do you think of Tunis Fabrizo?”

“I think it is a country much like the Ottoman Empire, and they are in a state much like Austria, rebellions all over the country”

moors.jpg

A Tunis rebel, ruthless and without honour!

“Yes, yes, I quite agree, I think something may have to be done in the future about the Kindom of Tunis, its time we flexed our muscles and brought Roman Catholicism to the heathen tribes of Africa, but first, let us concentrate on Sardinia Piedmonte, I do fear that our military might is not at a level that theirs is at, am I true?”

“You are indeed, we need to build up our armies, and I will requisition FM Henrico to do so at once, but now sir I have an art class in the middle of Rome to attend and would ask of your leave”

“Of course” the Pope said happily.

Fabrizo bent down and kissed the Popes hand, “Goodbye your Holiness”. Fabrizo strolled out of the garden and the Pope stared at the birds in the trees, ‘such beauty in Gods creations he thought.’

Man those Croatians sure remind me of the English ;)

Excelent job, a bit of luck with the Austrians Ill say.

Estonianzulu said:
Excelent job, a bit of luck with the Austrians Ill say.

Luck, what luck, poppycock, its all down to skill,hehe ;)

i really like this one.

Chapter 1.5

A Calling For The End Of The War

The crowd was silent. It was amazing how a crowd of 10, 000 people could be quieted by the sight of one man. St. Peters Basilica was packed to the brim, people stood in every spot, nookie or orifice able to support them so that they could catch a glimpse of their idol. Everyone in the crowd stared up to the balcony were a man dressed in white, wearing a red shawl shuffled to the edge and rested his arms on the ledge.
The pope stared at the masses below him, so many had turned out he thought.
He raised his bejeweled arm and spoke into the speaker cone lodged into the balcony.

“Citizens, Catholics and Romans alike, I have summoned you all here today to hear my message which I wish broadcasted all over the land. The recent hostilities in the Crimea by the Ottoman Empire and her allies against the empire of Russia must CEASE!” he bellowed, his voice magnified by the cone.

The crowd spoke, murmiring, shocked and stunned.

The Pope raised his hands for silence to resume, which it did almost immediately. “The Ottoman Empire who worship a God whom I believe and feel sure is false cannot go on persecuting the Russian People who share a branch of the Roman Catholic faith, and I therefore feel it my duty to protect them against the hordes that the Ottoman Empire send devestating their country, raping, looting and desecrating Russian land as they pass through, on their evil conquest. I feel it also a neccesity, to warn the Empires of Britian and Prussia that to align themselves with such a heathen nation is below themselves and that it is not appreciated by God, me or any true Catholic or Christian, the alliance between the threee of you must also cease, as no Christian or Catholic nation or state should ecven consider having a military alliance with such a people. Economic alliances yes, military NO!”

A murmur once more swept the crowd like a tidal wave, but this time the Pope let it carry on for a while longer, but then silence resumed when he wished so.

“All I ask is that the hostilities between these nations stop, Russia has shown that they cannot withstand the military might of Britain, Prussia and the Ottomans but to let this pointless bloodshed carry on is mad and I condemn it if it so does continue. I ask of the four nations to sign a peace treaty and ask for whatever amenities from it you feel justifiable but the fighting and meaningless desecration must end.”

This time the crowd did not speak, but just started in an awe inspiring, stunned silence at the Pope as he left the balcony and begged them good day.

Crimean.jpg

A scene of devestation to the Russian populace which the Pope was refering to.

It seems the Pope's victory over Austria has given him quite a bit of confidence - as it should! :) I don't suppose you have a map of your new holdings.

Chapter 1.6

Internal Conflicts

The years which passed after the Popes speech about the Crimean war were semi eventful. The world. After the Pope condemned the War, frowned upon the hostilities against Russia and Prussia, Britain and The Ottomans soon signed a peace treaty which all in all granted the Ottoman Empire the territory of Kars and much other Trans Caucasian provinces, Britain settled with a simple white peace and Prussia got given parts of the Baltic’s. Thus the Crimean war came to an end. For the next year and a half the Papal States attention was fully consumed by a series of Rebellions which one after one was quashed and nothing serious happened until July 27th 1948 when Sardinia Piedmonte smugglers were caught and relations with the country declined rapidly and before long Sardinia Piedmonte were ejected from the Roman Catholic faith. After a very serious revolt in Sicily were the rebels controlled the island for more than two weeks an election was held to see if any change could bring about the stop of such revolts. The revolt in Sicily was brutally crushed and to the Popes surprise The Moderati party won a landslide victory and so stayed in term again. Just after the election the Papals Generic treaties with the Sicilies and Sardinia Piedmonte expired and large amounts of Papal military were stationed along the Sardinia Piedmonte border. This caused two months were the Papal states spent large amounts of money in a frenzy of military strenghening and before long large numbers of recruits were being trained. On January 1st 1949 a Papal Fortress in the colony of Yebuti was finished and the Popes Navy whisked off 1st Colonial Division to the fortress. On January 27th 1949 the large amounts of recruits were turned into soldiers and the Papal States Army was transformed over night.

dhm_375.jpg

The battle of Riga, the last great battle of the Crimean war which was a russian victory and helped the peace treaty become a reality, showing that the Russian Army could win some of the time.( Russian Imperial cavalry smashed through Prussian lines and wreaked havoc amongst them)
The following shows what the Popes Forces consited of:

Popes Army: General Esposito
4 Infantry with artilery.
1 volunteer Infantry Brigade
3 Regular Infantry
1 Dragoons
1 Infantry with Cuirassier Brigade
*Stationed on the Sardinia Piedmonte Border

Popes 2nd Army : General Cappuchino
1 Cavalry with Hussars
1 Dragoons with Hussars
2 Regular Infantry
*Stationed on the Sardinia Piedmonte Border

Papal Guard South: Lt. General Li- Dichi
1 Irr-Regular Infantry
*Stationed in Messina where they are cleaning up after the Rebel occupation.

Papal Guard North: Lt. General Defalco
1 Regular Infantry
*Stationed on the Sardinia Piedmonte Border.

6856.jpg

Papal Infantry man, the uniform was a pale cream colour with black straps and a black helmet with the Vatican Crest.

Their is also the 1st Colonial Infantry division but that is currently onboard a transport ship which is part of the Popes Navy destined for the Colonial Fortress at Yebuti, this will also keep the Papal Fleet out of the way when war with Sardinia Piedmonte begins, as it is invetiable.

Next Chapter:
-War With Sardinia Piedmonte- the final state before unification!
-The Papal States becomes a Colonial Power.