• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oct 18, 2000
members.tripod.de
Hey, everybody! I have been playing a GC as the Teutonic Order, and Hartmann convinced me (it wasn't difficult) to do an AAR of my experience. Unfortunately, I have only finished the first 60 years, and I am leaving on Monday for six weeks, so I probably won't get to finish this--at least not before January. But, for those interested, I have started a FanSite for EU. There isn't much there right now, but there is my AAR of the Teutonic Knights from 1492 to 1550.

Go to the site below and look for the link on the left...

http://members.tripod.de/yuanti/euhome.html

------------------
'Therefore take heed how you impawn our person,
How you awake our sleeping sword of war.
We charge you in the name of God, take heed;
For never two such kingdoms did contend
Without much fall of blood...'
Henry V (a la Shakespeare)

hi, hochmaister:

very interesting AAR so far.
maybe it's a stupid question, but in the screenshots you give, which is the meaning of the different colours (white, green, light brown)?, they do not correspond with countries (maybe winter and autumn? :D)

thanx in advance
/alzate

Originally posted by Alzate:
hi, hochmaister:
very interesting AAR so far.
maybe it's a stupid question, but in the screenshots you give, which is the meaning of the different colours (white, green, light brown)?, they do not correspond with countries (maybe winter and autumn? :D)

Yes, the 1492 map is a 'geography map', which shows geography, weather, armies, navies, construction, etc... The 1550 map is a 'political map' showing political boundaries. And, yes! the white areas have snow in them.

[This message has been edited by von Curow (edited 09-11-2000).]

Thanx, von Curow, really great AAR!! :) But tell me: How could You write such an extensive and beautiful AAR so fast? I mean: first You say 'no', ten minutes later 'yes' and - wheee! - soon the AAR is on Your site complete with screenshots and everything! :) Now I´m patiently waiting six weeks, til You come back and post the next parts....

Cheers, Hartmann

Originally posted by Hartmann:
Thanx, von Curow, really great AAR!! :) But tell me: How could You write such an extensive and beautiful AAR so fast? I mean: first You say 'no', ten minutes later 'yes' and - wheee! - soon the AAR is on Your site complete with screenshots and everything! :) Now I´m patiently waiting six weeks, til You come back and post the next parts....

Cheers, Hartmann

:D Well, it took longer than 10 minutes... My first reaction was, 'no, I don't have time' and my second reaction was 'gee, it was fun, let's see what I can remember.' And I just finished my PhD work, so I have no job right now, have nothing better to do, so...

I did play a little bit last night, so I might add some things to the site this afternoon. We'll see.

Excellent AAR, von Curow! You have a flair for narrative, so it doesn't surprise me to hear that you just completed a PhD. In what field, may I ask?

One of the things you highlight is that the AI is good at making alliances but is sometimes very deficient at waging wars. It generally fails to prepare adequately for war and tends to give up too easily (England v. Scotland, France v. Lorraine are typical). In some cases, it will declare war and then mobilize barely any troops at all. Or it mobilizes troops and sends them piecemeal against larger armies instead of consolidating them first (Sweden seems to be a major adherent to this futile military doctrine).

It is a mystery to me how the AI determines how large a standing army to maintain. I have seen a small German state like Saxony keep 100,000 men under arms while Austria and France keep a handful of 10,000-man armies scattered through their realms. When war comes, these major powers are often unprepared and can lose provinces to lesser powers.

These are not persistent problems, but this is one of the things that gives a human player an edge. Maybe some of these inconsistencies will be fixed in future patches.

Originally posted by Devin:
Excellent AAR, von Curow! You have a flair for narrative, so it doesn't surprise me to hear that you just completed a PhD. In what field, may I ask?

One of the things you highlight is that the AI is good at making alliances but is sometimes very deficient at waging wars. It generally fails to prepare adequately for war and tends to give up too easily (England v. Scotland, France v. Lorraine are typical). In some cases, it will declare war and then mobilize barely any troops at all. Or it mobilizes troops and sends them piecemeal against larger armies instead of consolidating them first (Sweden seems to be a major adherent to this futile military doctrine).

It is a mystery to me how the AI determines how large a standing army to maintain. I have seen a small German state like Saxony keep 100,000 men under arms while Austria and France keep a handful of 10,000-man armies scattered through their realms. When war comes, these major powers are often unprepared and can lose provinces to lesser powers.

These are not persistent problems, but this is one of the things that gives a human player an edge. Maybe some of these inconsistencies will be fixed in future patches.

My PhD is (or will be, if all goes well at the defense) in Political Science, and covers European (and American) forms of populism from 19th century Russia and America to modern day Western and Post-Communist Europe. I couldn't find a suitable war topic, so I took an interesting 'political history' one instead. :D

About the AI war-fighting capacity. The thing you quickly learn against the AI is that if you are going to take on a major power, you should prepare yourself for a large war, and then be patient and attack your enemy when his back is literally turned (Russia fighting the Khanates, Poland fighting Turkey, France fighting Spain), which makes it almost too easy to lop off 1 or 2 provinces. On the other hand, if you are playing as a lesser power, there really is no other way to expand.

I agree. I often see the AI send its standing army off to seize a province, ignoring that the enemy opponent is sending its main army to seize their capital. Then, when size 4 or 5 armies are built, they get sent into the meat grinder as-is, instead of putting them together. This mainly tends to be a problem for small minors, however. If Spain builds armies and sends them off, they tend to arrive together.

You're right about the small minors. Most of them in Germany build very large armies (perhaps because of the dual threat of Austria and France?) that can, in the short run, over run and capture provinces from larger states which have scattered their troops. The same happens in Italy to some extent, where Naples and the Papal States also build huge numbers of troops. At the same time, Milan never inches above its 10,000 man army until attacked, and then it is usually too late. Switzerland, too, is content with 25,000 men.