• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(14249)

HoI Multiplayer Beta/Dev
Jan 31, 2003
Visit site
I have played with three different MP groups now. Here are some etiquette issues. It's good to make these clear rather than making assumptions:

* house rules should be agreed in advance and, ideally written down - see the DEG threads for examples. Likewise, use of patches and mods needs to be agreed.

* will players stick to one country or move around? For example, a player might start as France and switch to the US. This might affect diplomatic relations. What happens if the allies coup Italy and so eject that player from the position?

* are historical alliances required or expected? The standard game has three alliances (Axis, Allies, Comintern) and victory is all about being a member of the winning alliance in 1947. Some groups seem to assume the Comintern and Allies should or will work together rather than being opponents. Can Nationalist China join the Axis? Can democratic Japan join the Allies? To what extent are players playing as a team or purely for themselves?

* is double-crossing allowed or expected? Some players get upset by double-dealing but some chicanery is historical (e.g. Pearl Harbor and Barbarossa were not expected and shocked the countries being attacked).

* what can be done to save files? Some groups edit saves to correct things which they perceive as bugs or too ahistorical. E.g. if the French capital and army ends up in the Maginot line, so making an invincible redoubt, can or should the save file be edited to change this? Also note that save files allow the fog of war to be cleared away - is there an honour code to stop this?

* what is the procedure for assembling the players and rehosting after a crash? Who contacts who and how?

* How is the game speed determined and when should the game be paused?

* how are the sessions timetabled? How long is each session and how are new dates agreed? The more players you have, the worse this gets. If standbys are used, what are their rights? Can they change policy and can they expect to keep the country in future sessions.

* when does a game finish? Do you or should you play to 1947? What happens if the Allies and Comintern crush the Axis? Do you play on with a rump Axis to see who wins control of the globe? What if some players want to resign but others want to play on?

A democratic consensus is clearly desirable but I think it's good to have a strong host who spells out the ground rules and acts as the organizer. I'm reaching the point of wanting to be such a host and assembling a group which is mainly in the UK time zone. I'm not sure if my broadband connection is up to it though. Nominally it's 576 kbps but it might be best to wait for a new high-speed option.

Andrew

Hmm an MP Etiquette FAQ would be a good thing...

I'll see what I can add tonight, I'll ask everyone who reads this to post their comments on MP etiquette, and we can edit for content and put something good together for players. :D

----------------

Multiplayer FAQ

Getting Started

We all want to enjoy our gaming experience and simple gaming etiquette can vastly improve said experience. To get the most out of your gaming experience, when you join V.net, say, "Hi!", let people know that you're alive and not some ghost, speaking of ghosts, don't get frustrated when someone doesn't answer back, check to see who is in a game being set up- those people are ghosts, they can't hear or respond to you in the game channel.

Common Courtesy

We all must be mindful of the fact that the full range of a human beings' communications skills includes vocal inflections, as well as facial and body gestures. With the introduction of the phone and radio we had to re-learn how to understand a message by listening more closely to the tone of the voice that was speaking. Then with film and television, the transportation of human images reappeared in a limited form, subject to the vision and censorship of those who controlled the camera lens. With E-mail, Chat, Instant Messaging, and posting in forums (like newspapers, books and web sites) the subject matter comes in the form of the printed word. Here, interpretation of the message is subject to the imagination of the reader, who may find that certain words, by themselves, have a different meaning than the writer intended. So give people the benefit of the doubt, if you're unclear about something that was said, ask for clarification, don't simply make an accusation and start shouting and swearing.

Organizing a Game

Probably the best way of either organizing a game yourself or joining a game being organized is at the official HoI forums ( that's here, but you knew that ;) ). There are many groups that generally play together, but everythings free form, so you can play in all or none of them, it's just a way to help organize games.

The Basics

Scenario

You're going to have to let people know which scenario you will be playing, most people play the 1936 scenario, though some also like to play 1939 or 1941- it's nice to try them all.

Version

HoI seems to be a game where alot of people don't have the same version, for one reason or another there are people playing everything from version 1.0 to the current 1.05 (1.05b with the official beta tweak pack). I'd estimate that about 50% have 1.05 and 40% have 1.05b (the other 10% spread over the older versions). Let people know which version you want people to use.

Mods

There are some excellent Mods out there, C.O.R.E. being my favorite though StonyRoad is definate excellent. If you are wanting to have a game using a Mod make sure you let everyone know.

Time

Use a 24 hour clock when giving time, and try and always include the GMT as well as your local time, this helps keep everyone on track and no one gets confused.

Keeping Things Moving

Staying In Touch

Everyone should be familiar with what thread players will be using to keep track of times for future sessions. It would be helpful if everyone has some form of instant messanger, preferably ICQ.

Crashes & Disconnects

There needs to be a clear procedure for assembling the players and re-hosting after a player is dropped from a game. It's suggested that everyone should meet back in the HoI V.net channel to restart. Remember it can take a minute for someone to relog into v.net, 5 minutes to restart HoI and 5 minutes to restart a computer if needed- that's up to 11 minutes, toss in a 4 minute grace period and you're looking at a possible 15 minutes for all players to be back in channel prepared to play. Everyone should save the game if possible if there is a player drop, as soon as the host gets into the channel the game should be rehosted and everyone should get into the game room to start downloading the file- this will help get things started as soon as possible.

Sessions

HoI can't always be finished in one session, usually you'll need at least 4-6 hours for a game, and more often 8-16 hours. That's quite a long time and most people won't be able to do that in a single session. Players need to take that into account and either have other dates and times to continue the game prepared or talk about them in v.net or in game. You should try when possible to have this sorted out as soon as possible.

Breaks

Since a game can last for long periods, breaks are a good way to give people a chance to walk the dog, have a cigeratte, get a drink, or eat... It's usually a good idea to take a short break every 3-6 hours, around a half hour will do usually for most people. Again, try and sort this out as soon as possible to avoid confusion and delays.

Pausing

Occasionally a game will need to be paused, the host tends to do this the most if latency issue develop, though players will also pause from time to time. If someone pauses they should immediately also say something to let everyone know who paused and why, most times you won't need to worry about when to restart as the player who paused will let you know. However if pauses are too long or frequent players will need to figure out what to do about it, again, try and discuss this as soon as possible when setting up a game.

Game Speed

HoI has a normal speed setting, more often than not it is actually a good speed to play at. Latency issues for most games with 5 or less people can easily handle that speed with non-dial-up connections, more people or slower connection may cause latency issues and player drops- though the normal setting is still good as a general guideline. It is suggested that during a new game or session, or at the start of a war the speed be reduced as much as possible to allow players to get a handle on the situation, and as people are ready speed is increased. During times when not much is happening going at a more than normal rate of speed is fine, but players should agree to that. As mentioned before, try and get players to agree on speed issues before the game.

House Rules

About

Many games can be played with no more limits than designed by Paradox, however sometimes players will want to put some logical (or weird) house rules into effect, these should be agreed clearly in advance and posted.

Typical

Technology is often limited in games to one degree or another, as are developing nuclear weapons, not to mention the use of neutrals in the game. So you should decide if any of these or other limits are to be placed on players.

Alliances

The standard game has three alliances (Axis, Allies, Comintern) and victory is all about being a member of the winning alliance at the end of 1947. Some groups seem to assume the Comintern and Allies should or will work together rather than being opponents. Can Nationalist China join the Axis? Can democratic Japan join the Allies? To what extent are players playing as a team or purely for themselves?

(un)Historical

HoI is not a 100% historical, it can't be, for one it's a game, for another you're making different choices. Otherwise the game wouldn't be worth playing... however, there's a difference between historical and realistic choices. It's realistic that the Germans would have remained neutral with the Soviets for the entire war, it's realisitc that Germany wouldn't have followed its treaty obligations with Japan and decared war on the USA- but it's not realistic that the USA would declare war on Argentina and invade without provocation. Some players want 99.99% accuracy (as close as HoI allows), others want realistic choices (most players seem fond of that), and still some others figure 'my country, my choice' (MCMC). So let potential players know if you are wanting to play; Historical, Realisitc, MCMC.

Musical Countries

No, I'm not talking about you needing to sing when you play. :p Sometimes it can be good when short of players to have people change nations, like playing France until defeat or until the USA enters the war, or if a power like Italy is couped and becomes part of the allies, then maybe the person playing New Zealand could take over Italy to keep things interesting. Sometimes change is good, but this is something that should be talked about earlier rather than later.

...More to come hopefully.

Credits: jgbaxter, redawn. (more to come hopefully...)

(In alphabetical order)

Last edited:
Nice info, could somebody sticky this thread?

If anyone has some suggetions to be added then mention it please and it can be added on Monday. :D

Originally posted by jgbaxter
If anyone has some suggetions to be added then mention it please and it can be added on Monday. :D

I have a suggestion. I played MP HOI for many months with one main group and several (actually more then the main) Valk net and ICQ pick up MP games.

Your common curtosey section is great, but there just needs to be one addition. Maybe not verbatum as to what I am writing here but there are times when things go sour on a personal level between two people in a group. I have seen name calling, I have seen threats to quit if item A,B,C werent done, I have seen ugly slanderous emails about other players ability, intellect, and charecter. I have seen personal threats outside of the online world.

Obviously this isnt the norm, but I know I am not the only person to expirence the ugly side of MP play with complete strangers. In every group there has to be a clear rule on personal ettiqutte outside of the charecters/nations of the game. What might seem like a joke about one persons ability maybe taken as slander and mushroom out of control (see your section on communication in this new medium)

So my addition I would add is a clear cut group policy about personal behavior and expectations of group memebers and what penalties will be imposed if someone, taunts, slanders, or engages in behind the scenes emails and IM's to that make actions within the game personal.

Childish, petty, granted but it happens and probably more then you think. From my expirence of running a group I would make House Rule 1 simply that any person in the group that engages in behavior detrimental to the spirit of fun and mutual respect for other players will immediately have said incident reviewed by the entire group and a disciplinary action taken based on majority vote. Once its voted that the person indeed made an ingame issue a personal attack they be removed immediately from the group.

Sound ridiculous? Maybe, but let me tell you something I have seen people take things very personally and go beyond the scope of the HOI gaming community and talk about players on other gaming sites, and well just get nasty. No one is perfect, certainly not me, but it only takes one persons perception of a personal slight to begin to sow the seeds of percieved injustice and that can absolutely destroy the group gaming expirence.

Good luck,

Odin

Thats a great post too.

Ive seen crazy stuff as well, more so playing RTS's and other genres. Hoi seems to attract a more mature demographic.

Unfortunaletley Idiots can be found anywhere and everywhere...

It is highly recommended that when continuing a previous game to do it in the Clan Channel, and players shouldn't join a game in that channel unless requested. :D

Last edited:
Originally posted by jgbaxter
It is highly recommended that when continuing a previous game to do it in the Clan Channel, and players shouldn't join a game in that channel unless requested. :D
Presumably you're talking about ValkyrieNet. Myself, I think that HOI games should be hosted in the HOI channel. It's the correct channel for HOI and, currently, it's quite quiet and could use the traffic to help build a community of online HOI players. From what I've seen, players who gatecrash saved games move along immediately when asked to do so.

What the DEG2 group currently do is go to some other channel. It used to be RIKE3 but last night it was something else and I can't even remember what it was - COTN? If these channels are for some other games then that's silly. Presumably, you'd get players of those games coming to the HOI channel to run their games and you end up with chaos.

If there were dozens of players in a channel then I could see the sense of finding a quiet spot but that's not the problem right now. The problem is actually finding enough players and so we should all huddle together to keep warm, as it were.

Andrew

I find the clan channel the perfect place to continue games, and almost never have problems getting a game together, usually have too many being played at once. :D

The thing with using another channel is to avoid people dropping in and leaving, causing mess-ups that require rehosting.
I don't see any reason for hosting in the HoI channel, as the game is not listed there after it is launched.

I usually just join by the direct connect option (multiplayer>internet).

The reason no one uses the correct channel for the appropriate game is that there is no way to password protect your games. Crown of the North has a minimal MP community, I have yet to seee one usch game to be set up. COTN is therefore a relatively secluded area where permanent games are setup with interference of players that dont respect the rule of asking before joining a game.
The EU MP community, which is much bigger than the HOI community, uses this trick as well. Name calling and childish behaviour is way more common over there as well if you ask me.

Originally posted by juv95hrn
...the rule of asking before joining a game.
Such a rule is not currently practical because, once someone hosts a game, his screen changes and there is no way for players in the Valkyrie channel to communicate with him to ask if they can join. Players who are not sure what's going on are therefore forced to join the game in order to ask the host whether they are welcome. Most players will then leave when asked and if they don't they can be forcibly evicted. The real problem seems to be that this entry/leave process triggers bugs.

I suggest that, whichever channel is being used, that, if there are other players present, the host should explain what's going on before he starts to host the game. If he doesn't want uninvited players to join then he should say so.

Anyway, I was hanging out in the HOI channel on Saturday night and it was heartening to see 20 or so players there and games being hosted by horse and others. It seemed a bit chaotic, of course, though. Maybe the channels should contain links to forums like this...

Andrew

True, good idea. We've thought about something like that for the HoI- Players Association, might just be doing that. :)