Danish Provinces Defecting to Denmark?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Contiguous

First Lieutenant
15 Badges
Apr 7, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
Background: Denmark inherited both Norway and Sweden, then Norway broke free and is now a 1PM in Shetland. I, Great Britain, have diplo-vassalised them.

Now: I was going to annex Norway, but then I saw that Denmark was being torn apart by rebels - specifically patriot rebels - so I thought I might as well wait for Norway to get a few provinces before annexing them. Sweden broke free, Holstein broke free, but the Norwegian Patriot occupied provinces don't. The rebels at one point controlled all of Norway's cores, but, one-by-one Denmark re-took them. Or so I thought. What was actually happening was that the provinces occupied by Norwegian patriots were defecting to Denmark. I looked a bit closer at the provinces and over the shield for the Norwegian core the tooltip said that the core was supposed to have disappeared by 1552. And it's now the mid 17th century.

What exactly is happening here?

rebels generally will not defect to vassal states.

Background: Denmark inherited both Norway and Sweden, then Norway broke free and is now a 1PM in Shetland. I, Great Britain, have diplo-vassalised them.

Now: I was going to annex Norway, but then I saw that Denmark was being torn apart by rebels - specifically patriot rebels - so I thought I might as well wait for Norway to get a few provinces before annexing them. Sweden broke free, Holstein broke free, but the Norwegian Patriot occupied provinces don't. The rebels at one point controlled all of Norway's cores, but, one-by-one Denmark re-took them. Or so I thought. What was actually happening was that the provinces occupied by Norwegian patriots were defecting to Denmark. I looked a bit closer at the provinces and over the shield for the Norwegian core the tooltip said that the core was supposed to have disappeared by 1552. And it's now the mid 17th century.

What exactly is happening here?

When you hover over it and it says something to the effect that the core will be lost in xxxx; look further down. Most likely it will say something to the effect that due to culture the core will never be lost.

Rebels not defecting to subject states is WAD and the current behaviour was implemented back in patch 1.1 or 1.2 or something like that(pretty early on anyway).

rebels generally will not defect to vassal states.

Unless there are no independent countries in the culture group. Greek patriots do defect to a vassal Byzantium when Georgia is weak.
So in the case of the OP, independent Scandinavian countries (such as Denmark) are preferred by Norwegian rebels over a vassal Norway.

Unless there are no independent countries in the culture group. Greek patriots do defect to a vassal Byzantium when Georgia is weak.
So in the case of the OP, independent Scandinavian countries (such as Denmark) are preferred by Norwegian rebels over a vassal Norway.
And can lead to an amusing situation like the OP's.

"Alright guys, I can't take the tyranny of Denmark any longer! Collect the boys, we are going to rebel!"
*Crowd cheers*
"Phiew... that was tough but we did it! Denmark is out for the count, now we can decide on our on path. So what'll it be? What do you mean 'Let's go back'? What, to Denmark? Well I suppose..."

It can if there are no other valid targets. At very beginning of game start as Muscovy I have had Uralic rebels in Kazan defect to Perm vassal.

They can, but they won't always do so, like if there's only one valid independent target. Most of the time, they'll siege the province(s) down and then never enforce their demands.