• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What happens to a patrician, when members of the family live outside of the merchant republic, and some of them have their own feudal titles?

I.e. if I am a patrician, and my nephew is a count:
- Does he also get money from my budget for being related to me?
- Can he have claims on the republic, and press them?

Also what happens if a member of my patrician family becomes a muslim ruler?
I.e. I am a patrician and my nephew is a Muslim emir:
- Does our family get decadence? (And decadence revolts?)
- Would the merchant republic also be affected by decadence?
- Does he have a chance at all at managing decadence? (Most of the family would be in my republic so I think my nephew would not last long...)

How much in British Pounds will the republic and Mediterranean faces pack be respectively?

Sorry if some of these are dealt with in development diaries, but here goes:

If I give a family member a coastal republican duchy, will one of the five patrician families be of my dynasty?

Is it possible to create a sub-county level merchant republic using non-county-capital cities and titular duchies (so that, for example, Ragusa could be represented without giving them 1/4 of Serbia)?

What options do merchant republics have for expansion CB's?

Do trade posts count as traditional holdings, or are they dealt with differently, so that there can be Venetian and Genovese outposts in Constantinople?

If somebody takes the republic's duchy title, what happens to the holdings of the patrician families, including those outside of the de jure duchy? Is it possible to keep playing as a feudal lord after such an event?

Can a feudal state be turned into a merchant republic when selecting a character from the map?
Can republics not using the new features (like counties or landlocked republics) be played?

So you CAN become a feudal lord and you CAN use ruler designer on patricians. Hm, I thought I'd heard somewhere that neither of those things were true. Excellent.

Last edited:
If I give a family member a coastal republican duchy, will one of the five patrician families be of my dynasty?

Is it possible to create a sub-county level merchant republic using non-county-capital cities and titular duchies (so that, for example, Ragusa could be represented without giving them 1/4 of Serbia)?

What options do merchant republics have for expansion CB's?

Do trade posts count as traditional holdings, or are they dealt with differently, so that there can be Venetian and Genovese outposts in Constantinople?

If somebody takes the republic's duchy title, what happens to the holdings of the patrician families, including those outside of the de jure duchy? Is it possible to keep playing as a feudal lord after such an event?

- Yes, you have to give the city to him then the duchy.

- Merchant republic need a duchy title and a costal county. If you manage to give an "empty" duchy then sure.

- Merchant republic CB : Capture any coastal city. And once they have a city in a county, they can claim the county

- Trade posts are out of the holdings system

- AI collapse into old republic... player, don't know...

I think the question everyone wants answered but is too apprehensive to ask is...

Is this Rome 2?

- Yes, you have to give the city to him then the duchy.

- Merchant republic need a duchy title and a costal county. If you manage to give an "empty" duchy then sure.

- Merchant republic CB : Capture any coastal city. And once they have a city in a county, they can claim the county

- Trade posts are out of the holdings system

- AI collapse into old republic... player, don't know...

Thanks. So, I'm guessing that county requirement messes up my plan. It would have been nice to be able to represent the smaller merchant republics by having them occupy a single city within a province, rather than having to give them the entire thing.

Do Muslim Costal Republics use the new republic gameplay, or is it restricted to Christians?

They use the same mechanics: your capital must be on the coast, it must be a city, and you must hold a duchy or higher title.

Do the coasts of the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf count as "coastal"?

Would it be possible to create a province flag or modifier that would let modders tell the game that an "inland" province should count as "coastal" for purposes of Merchant Republics? This would let a mod place a merchant republic at Hormuz, for example, and it would also allow modders to model the trading cities on rivers such as those in Russia and the Niger (e.g. Gao, Timbuktu).

I hope it won't be delayed on Steam again.

I remember it took a really long time for Ruler Designer to come out but as I recall SoI and LoR were available pretty early in the day.

Steam releases depend on someone at Valve waking up from their drunken stupor to hit the 'release' button, so it probably won't be before 18:00h CET (10:00h PST/Valve HQ time). Might be earlier, might be later, impossible to tell.

In multiplayer games, will multiple players be able to play within the same republic as Patrician families?

If you are the doge and your republic is at war, will other patrician families contribute to the war or will you rely on feudal levies, your own resources and mercenaries?

As a patrician, do trading posts provide troops?

How can you get claims on another trading posts to seize it by force?

Will it be possible for feudal lords to usurp a republic's duchy title? If so what happens to the republic (and the player)?

And for modders: will the requirements for where you can build trade posts be modable? (if it isn't, please change it sometime in a future patch! I don't mind that paradox decided otherwise because they wanted to focus on maritime merchants, but I know a lot of modders will want to make tradeposts buildable in inland provinces too)