• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

My understanding is that this is now known, officially, as the T-50.

If you need to pack even more onto a single aircraft, you simply can’t beat the Tupolev Tu-160 "Blackjack" strategic bomber. Russia’s next-gen and stealthy strategic bomber, the PAK DA, is unfortunately too much of an unknown entity (and apparently in budget limbo) to include.

Even taking into account Russian PR nonsence I think its fair to say that main gate R&D will reach full funding by 2018 for the PAK-DA. I think there is a fair chance that small numbers of early production variants could well be in service. TU-160 is on such a low rate production and has a number of problems that I would be surprised if production continued beyond 2018, I would expect the funding to be diverted to the PAK-DA.

and the Ilyushin Il-78 is performing in-air refuelling.

The IL-78 is being retired in 2025 and being replaced from 2018, with Full production of the replacement aircraft beginning in 2020.

The risk level on this program is minimal so the probability of it hitting even a late delivery, as I have suggested above, are very high.

AWACS duties are handled by the Beriev A-50U Shmel aircraft, .

It won't be the U variant in 2030. There is a confirmed upgrade program that is due to start in the next 2-3 years and there will almost certainly another one by 2030.

Also expect about half of them to have been retired and replaced with the confirmed AAEW program. This program is expected to receive main gate R&D funding in the next 48 months.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, Mowers. The problem is that we need to know more than that an upgrade or new unit is coming by 2030, we also have to know its specs and appearance to put it in.

The retired units tend to be mothballed and brought out in a crisis anyway. :)

This gives us a lot of good options for later updates to the game.

Thanks for the feedback, Mowers. The problem is that we need to know more than that an upgrade or new unit is coming by 2030, we also have to know its specs and appearance to put it in.

The problem is that is not possible to know more about specs and appearance for a game set in 2030, you will have to forecast them. However, I do understand the problem, although I wouldn't worry too much about it as stats for future aircraft that you have mentioned that are already in development are also fairly unknown and and in some cases, particularly Russian cases, misleading. Perhaps setting the game in 2020 is more realistic if you do not feel confident in having a realistic 2030 OOB.

I'd say Mowers has a point here. If you'd rather not speculate on future models (and I don't blame you!) then what we have is a modern naval wargame, not post-modern. Since several known models (like the Ford-CV) will probably not be in the first release, that further inhibits the game's ability to portray warfare in 2030.

It might be worth rolling this back to 2020. It's still not impossible to imagine your scenario (ongoing economic difficulties result in a general degradation of the USN, melting icecaps and a drive for new energy sources due to said economic difficulties results in a hot war in the Arctic.) Yes, the game could be dated quicker, but hopefully by 2020 you're working on Naval War IX: Near Orbit and it won't matter.

Sure, a good point, but we've said from the start that what we wanted to create was modern, not future, naval warfare. The 2030 date was to have a half-feasible storyline leading up to a conflict, and to get some of the procured platforms and systems ready (the F-35, FAK-PA, Britain's new carrier and surface ships).

2020 is just 8 years away when we launch.

The future developments may just as well include drastic cuts in military research and upgrades because of economic problems. I doubt anyone would consider that far fetched.

All in all, it's an excuse for making a strategy game.

The surface ships will still be carrying the good old Kamov Ka-27 helicopter for anti-submarine duties.
What about Ka 31 and Ka 52K?

What about Ka 31 and Ka 52K?

Ka-31 uses the -27 airframe, so it would be almost free for us to add it. However, it has no ASW capability, so it's is pretty darned useless in the game.

We'd like to have included the Ka-52K, especially since we have the Mistral, but it's an anti-tank helo with little utility in naval warfare, so it was cut. Absolutely an interesting addition later.

Well, yes, it's a quite capable platform. Though NWAC will not simulate the actual landing operations, missions where it's your job to facilitate or stop these operations should be quite fun.
Looks like landing in Battlestation Pacific? Otlichno. Cant wait for new diary :)

If you have the Oko radar mounted on the Ka-27 then you already have the Ka-31 in-game.;)

We are also including the powerful land-based Sukhoi Su-27 air superiority fighter to have a varied arsenal of fighter aircraft.
Su 35BM and Su 37 not cool? :)

Very cool, but we have to make choices. The Su-37 is cancelled. We could go for the Su-35BM instead of the -27, but then we could go back and forth with our unit list until the end of time, and never getting any game out :)

Don't worry. Adding more units and systems after launch is absolutely in our plans.

Very cool, but we have to make choices. The Su-37 is cancelled. We could go for the Su-35BM instead of the -27, but then we could go back and forth with our unit list until the end of time, and never getting any game out :)

Don't worry. Adding more units and systems after launch is absolutely in our plans.

Good good, with the way the British government does procurement this is a sensible approach ;)... Or maybe you could write to HM Government and advise them their shoddy procurement process makes it difficult to accurately develop a game based on what the British forces will have in the future!!

When will the developer diaries for the other countries (Primarily the UK and Netherlands) be released? I am eager to see what the breakdown of them will be!!

Yeah, try not to give us content that adds up in price to more than what the game cost! Though, I'd guess that'd be under the control of PI. :p

Yeah, try not to give us content that adds up in price to more than what the game cost! Though, I'd guess that'd be under the control of PI. :p
I think that would be at least 3 DLC.
It is a pity that the image of the new Russians aircraft carriers project will not be shown until 2014 ((
JanH, can you tell us something about the campaign? the plot will be? events? movies?

Call me a cynic but I don't see Russia having new carriers till well after 2020, 2030 seems most probable.