• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
fortunately, the only Soviet tanks in your neck of the woods seem to be Larm. only thing to do seems to be to sit tight and wait out the storm, for now. how is Polish NU? high enough to hold the line, I hope.

I would like to hope that Germany does have more divisions that can be put into the field? The quality of the German divisions individually shows but it seems this is easily handled by the superior Soviet numbers... and I am sure the Soviet offensive has hardly begun!

He is a little low on men on the ground right now
:)

Please forgive my long absence -- I'm trying to get a book ready for review, and it's a massive project.

Be back soon, and will be updating!

Renss

Talk about alternative history. If you are able to withstand Soviet pressure in Prussia that will be a great achievement. However Poland might not be able to stay up.
Subscribed

I'm relatively new to AAR's in HOI3, but this is an impressive read.
When I first bought HOI3, it sat for half a year because I was utterly overwhelmed. Then I found your strategy guides (I printed it and read it end to end - no kidding) and the online wiki. Without these things I would never have gotten anywhere in this game. Thanks!
Btw. I really like that you show realistic strategies and tactics (both here and in the guides), that's why I play the game - not to abuse it with gamey strategies.
Subscribed!

Wow! I spend several hours yesterday reading this AAR. It is awesome! It builds tension, has a lot of cliffhangers and is well written. I think it will make me try HPP :)
Keep up the great work Rensslaer!

Subscribed!

I apologize for my HUGE absence from this place -- it's been something like 2 months or more now. Sorry!

This does NOT indicate my imminent return. I just have some time to kill this evening, and can't get myself to work on the book more, so I'm trying to catch up on feedback. :) The book project continues, and looks like it will for another month, anyway. Then I hope I'll have time to get back to this.

The Soviet battleships were of the Dreadnought type, heavy cruisers hit by those 305mm shells would not look good, a modern battlecruiser would be a good match for them and Bismark would kill it quickly.

Isn't the Hood a 1926 design with a fatal weakness in deck armour.

Yes, you're right - my mistake. Yes, the severe damage in my case was due to a complete mismatch of forces, armor and caliber, not due to any particular deficiency in my naval forces.

can't resist the Reagan theme ... apols and brief. His speech after the Challenger disaster with that image of the finger of god (that caught so accurately the visual image of the vapour trail) was brilliant. As a European and very much on the left, beyond acknowledging his ability to speak and use words to connect, no, I remain unimpressed. And more than happy to discuss the reasons for the collapse of the USSR (or more interestingly why it collapsed the way it did as opposed into a N Korean style autarky) elsewhere. One reason is that so many right wing observers miss the critical role of the PCI and of the ideas of Euro-Communism in determining the direction the Soviet leadership tried to follow post-84 (& failed as the last thing Thatcher-Reagan wanted was a revitalised USSR).

Not sure what the PCI was. I have other reasons -- a variety of them -- for believing the "Reagan caused the USSR to fall" theme. But this is one of those things that should be handled elsewhere, as I could see it taking on a rather massive character! :)

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall! :D

I like Reagan's charisma, too. I consider him to be one of the best speakers (among politicians) of the XXth century. Whatever your views may be, you have to admit that there are people who can simply inspire others with their speeches. Regarding XXth century politicians, in no particular order, my votes would go to:

Winston Churchill
Ronald Reagan
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

They all made various mistakes, but their speeches were inspiring shows, indeed.

EDIT: Oh, and I have to say that Hitler was a good orator, too. His mad views were inherently, absolutely wrong, but when I heard his speeches, I actually envied him his overwhelming charisma.

I agree on all of these. I mentioned earlier (months ago now) that I used to be a speechwriter, and these that you mentioned are classics. Not Hitler so much, as his speeches in German don't relate to English-language speeches. He did that passion thing without often making much sense. I think Poland probably has a higher regard for Reagan than most of the rest of Europe. I got to hear Lech Walesa speak here in Denver once -- very cool! Nice and humble man, he seemed.

As far as I know HMS Hood was actually commissioned in 1920. The only Jutland veterans were the battleships Warspite, Valiant, Malaya, Barham, Revenge and Royal Oak. The only other British capital ships completed between the wars were Nelson and Rodney.

Yup quite right. I wish I had one of those historic Jane's Fighting Ships from the period. I thought I used to, but it may have just been checked out.

I have to say I'm astonished, started reading this and I simply could not get off the computer, excellent AAR.

Now we shall defend the Fatherland and stop the Communist hordes. They are a threat to civilization and must be stoped, they shall not take another inch of our territory.

Thanks, Danking! Welcome! Sorry for my long absence -- hope you still see this.

I was away for 8 days and missed great updates

I hope you're caught up! I was away for 8 weeks, and missed posting updates! :D

A very different kind of Germany...and a very different kind of AAR. I've been reading long before I became a member of this forum. Good job on the defense. Wish I could become this good at playing.

Thanks, Barvinok! Welcome! It remains to be seen how well I will do, but there are alot of things I may point out as we go on which may be lessons -- good and bad -- of how to do things.

((The last update -- Operation Brise -- was posted here, in between comments))

The Soviets are sturdy, unfortunately. But at least Germany showed her teeth. Have you got Heavy Tanks?

Quite sturdy, indeed. I was hoping for better impact. Oh well. No heavy tanks. For some reason, in this timeline the Soviets don't seem to have gone there, and Germany didn't either (since Germany was really arming a peacetime army first, and then later was developing tanks for mobility, not necessarily for staying power).

The Soviet wave had not fully dashed itself on the Polish breaker when Germany jumped into the water too soon! You are fortunate that the defenses in East Prussia were not severely compromised. Be patient Grasshopper, only when you can snatch the pebble from Stalin's hand....

Yes, it was less a strategic choice than a choice of impatience -- I remember thinking I'd like to test my mettle against them, and also I started thinking my quality forces could cause enough disruption in their numbers to cause an isolation victory. I was proved wrong. Patience, indeed! It was a useful test, though -- showed me my place, and how I stood strategically.

How are Polish hussars faring? Another miracle possible?

Umm... Maybe. The Poles are defending alot better than I ever expected. But they're still falling back quite substantially. At this point I felt it unlikely they would hold for long.

They're probably panzer 2's the Panzer 3 falls under the class of medium tanks. If your light tanks divisions are using Panzer 3 then I would be surprised

I think you're right that the game considers PzIII to be a medium tank, not a light tank. And in terms of pre-war rankings, I'm sure it easily qualified. I tend to classify based on later-war comparisons, where the PzIII was quite inferior to the PzIV and other comparable tanks. So maybe that was a little constructive license by the author! :) Thandros, I think you've posted before, but it's hard to remember after so much time away. If not, then Welcome!

Not the glorious counterstroke you were hoping for... Well, we can all hope that you've bought the Poles some time and that next time, with more preparation and more units, you'll have a better result.

Now what about this Operation Griff? :)

Indeed. :eek:o And I'm really not sure how much time it bought the Poles. A mere disruption in the Force, it seems! But it could adequately be considered a "reconnaissance in force" -- I figured out how I stood, and what it might take in the future to accomplish what I was hoping for. Op. Griff is in the south, and shall be equally instructive, though perhaps not exactly in the same way.

that was unfortunate, as you say each time you thought you'd found a weak spot, they managed to reinforce and create other pressure points, ... its going to be tough trying to hold the line, never mind find points for a sustained offensive

Yes, it was very frustrating. Like trying to climb out of a sand pit -- each bit of progress falls in on itself when the pressure builds too high. I was lucky I didn't lose more. My bulwarks had better hold, and not get ground under, or else this could be a very short war! :D

fortunately, the only Soviet tanks in your neck of the woods seem to be Larm. only thing to do seems to be to sit tight and wait out the storm, for now. how is Polish NU? high enough to hold the line, I hope.

Yeah, I'm not TOO impressed by the Soviets, either, even if they did turn back my foray. Their National Unity is high enough for the time being, partly because (author's license again) they're doing better than expected (I say author's license because I don't think the game actually calculates that way -- at least it didn't in this version).

I would like to hope that Germany does have more divisions that can be put into the field? The quality of the German divisions individually shows but it seems this is easily handled by the superior Soviet numbers... and I am sure the Soviet offensive has hardly begun!

I just need more punching power, and yet that power doesn't exist yet. It's going to take time to find the right opportunities, it seems. I kept hoping I can get an edge on the Soviet numbers by eliminating some of their forces in pockets, but they kept weaseling out of them!

Talk about alternative history. If you are able to withstand Soviet pressure in Prussia that will be a great achievement. However Poland might not be able to stay up.
Subscribed

Floris! Welcome, Dear Sir! I think it will be quite an entertaining AAR! I'm reminded (having been away for quite some time) how much I was enjoying this game, and that I still have quite a bit of gameplay to finish. This means, of course, that I'll be continuing the AAR. Just not quite able yet.

I'm relatively new to AAR's in HOI3, but this is an impressive read.
When I first bought HOI3, it sat for half a year because I was utterly overwhelmed. Then I found your strategy guides (I printed it and read it end to end - no kidding) and the online wiki. Without these things I would never have gotten anywhere in this game. Thanks!
Btw. I really like that you show realistic strategies and tactics (both here and in the guides), that's why I play the game - not to abuse it with gamey strategies.
Subscribed!

Thanks, AradoX! And Welcome! At first I thought your screenname was the name of some German aircraft I didn't quite remember, but then I realized it's Paradox without the P. Anyway... I really appreciate that about the Strategy Guides! I quite enjoyed putting them together, and because I so enjoyed the game even in pre-release, I was quite shocked and disappointed to see so many people saying it was unplayable at release. Glad it has caught up to standard, though, and that people are enjoying it as much as I have for years now. Much more to come! Thanks again!

Wow! I spend several hours yesterday reading this AAR. It is awesome! It builds tension, has a lot of cliffhangers and is well written. I think it will make me try HPP :)
Keep up the great work Rensslaer!

Subscribed!

Great! Thanks, Hegemon, for taking the time to read through it all. Welcome! I think you'll like HPP. Not sure what version they're on now, but they're always adding, and the people who have been working on it are very talented.

How did the book release go?

Well... Grr. :) I was really hoping to get it sent off to the printer by Sep 1. But I had a number of reviewers not able to meet my deadline for feedback, and I also realized just how abysmally in need of editing the 200 page monster was. I've spent about a month making serious revisions in organization, and smoothing out both the text and the flow of ideas, etc.

I think, having written 100-page Strategy Guides before, on a number of occasions, I thought 200 pages wouldn't be that much more challenging. And yet it is! Wow. And some authors say it's like birthing a baby, labor pains and all. I can see how that analogy applies.

I'm still working on it, and my new deadline to hopefully send it off to the printer is around Oct 15. I hope I can make that deadline. It seems like so much more editing and rewriting, etc. needs to be done. And my time that I can devote to it is severely restricted. My real job is running at 110% too, so I can't take time off to devote to my book. It's just going very slow.

We'll see! Thanks for your understanding in my long absence! I do really hope to get this going again on a regular schedule once the book is no longer in my hands.

Until then....

Rensslaer

good to hear from you. welcome back. sort of.

Having co-written a sourcebook back in the 90s for the West End Games Indiana Jones RPG (it was the Artifacts book), I know the amount of work that goes into things. Thanks for checking in and letting us know what's up.

Good luck with the book! Looking forward to your unmitigated return to the many AARs in your hands.

I am really enjoying this AAR. I just purchased a couple of Paradox games that I haven't been able to enjoy due to "old computer syndrome", HoI 3 being one of them. I'm learning a lot from this AAR and am looking forward to the conclusion. I'm also going to have to look up these strategy guides that everyone is mentioning.

you can find them in Rensslaer's inkwell (in his signature). they are well worth the read as some of the stuff is just strategy regardless of game version.