• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The 1896 Coup: A Bloody Agenda​

In 1895, a disgruntled general Martin Schmidt, frustrated with the "do-nothing" Congreso that had prevailed under the Rivera administration and what he viewed as the inhumane treatment of soldiers in the army, began to push for additional healthcare reform, unemployment benefits, and pensions for the sake of "giving our soldiers the respect they deserve." As the election neared, Schmidt wrote a series of increasingly strongly-worded letters to local papers voicing his opinions in the hopes of making a "GI Bill" an issue in the coming elections. His words were little heeded. Between the drama of Rivera's retirement and excitement in the conservative Republicano and Patriotas primaries, the political establishment had no time for the words of a single disgruntled general in the north, nor did he find much sympathy in a populace who viewed soldier as one of the most steady forms of work in Chile. Deciding that direct action would be the only way to bring much-needed attention to the issues he viewed as critical, General Martin Schmidt of the Army of Peru-Bolivia decided to launch a coup in late 1895, just at the end of the primary season. His coup would prove to be of the longest and bloodiest single-general coups in Chile history, lasting over five months.

Schmidt announced his intention to overthrow the government in a letter to his colleagues, urging them to join him, but he found no supporters within the Rivera cabinet. General Rios of the Army of the North instantly moved to intercept Schmidt northeast of Potosi. The resulting bloody battle would last over a month and take more than 50,000 casualties as Rios charged Schmidt's fortified positions in Arica day after day. Damage to the two sides would be roughly equal, and at the end of a month of fighting, Schmidt and Rios were both left with 25,000 men fit to serve, roughly half of their original forces. Rios' forces were left in disarray after the unsuccessful attack and retreated to Potosi, cutting off Schmidt's route of escape. Schmidt, himself unwilling to attack a fortified position and slowed by a series of summer downpours, remained in Arica for more than a month. Morale amongst his men was reportedly extremely low as 1895 turned into 1896.

The Schmidt coup would continue past January of the following year, well after the end of elections, when the Grand Army of the Republic finally arrived to reinforce the Army of the North and launched a two-pronged attack on Arica, the battle, which lasted until March, finally saw the ultimate defeat of Schmidt and the Army of Peru-Bolivia in a frantic battle that claimed over 38,000 Chilean lives. The coup cost Chile 88,000 casualties, fatal and non-fatal, all told, and left the Chilean standing army at less than a quarter-million men, though reserves still numbered at roughly a million. Schmidt himself was unable to execute his plan of escaping to Argentina as Rios' Army of the North had acted fast enough to prevent his retreat, and was killed with a rifle in his hands, just before the march surrender of his forces.

Coalition: With Republicanos, With Communists ((Changed from just Republicanos))

I solemnly express my great sadness at the needless loss of so many Chilean lives. Truly something is wrong with the current administration for there to be so many coup attempts.

- Sérgio Gogołów

Last edited:
"It saddens me that it had to come to this, even with his motives pure. This is just another sign, that we need a stronger, centralized, glorious government!"

-Crown Prince Daniel Jesus Roseno

The 1896 Conventions​
The 1896 Conventions had an air of excitement and speculation, far departed from the lethargy of their 1891 counterparts. Though the political establishment remained slightly hindered by General Martin Schmidt's ongoing coup, the Congreso continued its business as usual, showing an air of unusual, highly politicized motivation. Much to outgoing President Rivera's frustration, the Congreso's bills were heavily contrary to his own interests. The 1895 Right to Serve Act, which put a statutory end to his purges of the Comunistas from the military, passed over his veto with an overwhelming 94% margin, including significant support from his own party. The Chief of Staff Empowerment Act, which forced the President to further gain the authorization of the Chief of Staff to re-allocate brigades between generals, and the Military Command Act, which forced general running for the Presidency to resign their commands in an effort to curb recent coups.

In the Conventions themselves, the return of FNT candidate and former President Sérgio Gogołów was the talk of the town - his unopposed nomination was greeted with cheers from crowds of haggard workers in Santiago. Maximilien de Conti, meanwhile, won the nomination of the Republicanos with incumbent President Rivera's backing and the support his most powerful opponent, Francisco de Santa Rosa. De Conti preached moderate conservatism in his acceptance speech to the convention. Caitan Crazzio narrowly defeated Ernesto Fernando Fuentes in the Patriotas primaries, running on a platform of faith and strength for Chile.

The FNT originally put off a vote on coalitions, but eventually extended an offer to both the Republicanos and the Comunistas. The first was rejected out of hand. The second was ignored by a much diminished Comunista convention, who at some length wrote back to the FNT explaining that they had chosen not to nominate a candidate this year at all, and as such would not be giving their formal endorsement to Gogołów. The Patriotas and Republicanos, on the other hand, voted to unite their tickets and at a combined conference again nominated Maximilien de Conti as the sole opponent to Gogołów in the coming election.

-------------------------

Player Actions Needed:
I need platforms.

I can use your older ones if you like. As soon as I get your platforms, we can start voting on President and Army Chief of Staff.

The 1896 Candidates​

Anders_Zorn-Portr%C3%A4tt_av_Johan_Christoffer_Boklund.jpg

FNT Candidate: Sérgio Gogołów ((Dyranum))

Pro Military/Secularism/State Capitalism/Free Trade/Full Citizenship [1+2+0+1+2=6]

Dear people of Chile,

I, Sérgio Gogołów, will as always stand for peace, prosperity and cooperation. While Chile has no need to fight wars, we must show gratitude to the common grunt who so valiantly defend us from foreign aggression and imperialism. Their bravery must be praised. However, Chile must promote peace, not violence. We are not in a position to declare any war nor is it even necessary. It will only lead to needless bloodshed. However, that does not mean that I will leave us defenseless. We must have the capability to defend ourselves and our friends from foreign aggression. No further brigades will be raised unless deemed necessary (such as in the case of rampant unemployment for those looking to become professional soldiers), but the Military's pay and current forces will remain as is. The excess amount of money spent on raising more military forces will instead be spent on the economy. While Chile has experienced an economic boom in the recent years, it is possible that it might falter without at least a modest amount of government support. As well, the government should be able to construct new factory complexes in order to alleviate unemployment and employ those looking for job but having none.

Furthermore, we must abolish out tariffs, they only serve to further divide the workers of the world and are damaging to the common cause of the worker.

To me, employment is very important. If I assume the presidency, I will do my utmost to ensure that all Chileans have a job. I know, it is a monumental task, but hear me out: the journey of a thousand miles begins with but a single step. If we never start this task due to beliefs that it is not possible to complete, then we will never succeed.

Jean-Antoine_Chaptal_%281756-1832%29%2C_comte_de_Chanteloup.jpg

Patriotas-Republicanos Candidate: Maximilien de Conti ((Syriana))
Pro-Military/Moralism/Interventionism/Free Trade/Full Citizenship [1+0+1+1+2=5]

On the domestic front, I will maintain the economic policies that have produced unprecedented affluence for Chile in these past years. As the Chilean economy continues to blossom, it is natural that this wealth be put to benefit the nation. In national terms, that will entail further industrial development, so that Chile may continue to compete with the powerhouse economies abroad. But I also speak of uplifting the people and reducing poverty. Members of Congreso have proposed the excellent idea of utilising the Church as a means of welfare relief. Here exists an existing network of popular centres, spread across the nation and present in every city, town and hamlet; a perfect means of distributing poverty relief. We would not require a bureaucratic apparatus that would naturally be vulnerable to corruption and malfeasance. Moreover, the Church itself would be responsible for deployment of relief; the State need only provide a helping hand.

In terms of foreign affairs, I desire utmost to uphold peace in the Republic and defend her from her external enemies. As an experienced military officer, I have witnessed war firsthand; I have witnessed the tragedies that ensue when it is declared frivolously. We should no longer be subjected to the campaigns of conquest of old, where thousands of lives were lost in disastrous efforts to subjugate our neighbours. Not one man hear can forget the disastrous Argentinian War of 1881. But if another nation should infringe upon our territory, violate our national borders, and inflict harm upon the citizens of the Chilean Nation, then we would immediately respond to such barbarous acts of aggression as necessary to protect the Republic. We will be defensive, not aggressive; but we shall also be alert and apprehensive, not passive and docile. The best method of preventing war is to cement stability across South America. We will exert our influence across the remaining rebellious nations, restore order in Argentina and so pave the path of peace for the Republic.

As for military matters, I will continue to expand the Chilean Navy and affect the restoration of the Chilean Army after its recent mauling at the hands of the rebels. The former has grown from a minor flotilla to a potent fleet. But further extension is required to protect Chile's extensive coastlines, and to preserve the safety of the Republic from the foreign adventurers who have been the bane of our contemporaries in Latin America. Since my first days in Congreso, I have ceaselessly campaigned for a meritocratic distribution of command in the Army. The spate of recent rebellions demonstrates the dangers of political infiltration. If we are to have an army that is both loyal and capable, we must stem such activities. I will ensure that positions of command are appointed evenly and impartially. Vigour and ability shall be the necessary qualities for command, not party allegiance.

Army Chief of Staff Candidates:
Rios ((rudders10))
Sebastian Hidalgo ((MastahCheef117))
Juan De Porto ((zagoroth))
Jesus Gonzales ((yourworstnightm))
Christiano Ferarri ((King50000))

-------------------------

Player Actions Needed:
VOTE! I need your vote for Gogołów or De Conti. If you vote by party, I will pair your vote to the corresponding ticket.
You also need to vote for the Army Chief of Staff.

As always, remember to bold your votes or they might not be counted.

If you're a candidate and you want to change your platform or picture from the above, just let me know.

And Syriana, I think I'm missing a platform for you entirely.

A sample ballot would look like:
President: Gogołów/De Conti
Army Chief of Staff: Rios/Hidalgo/De Porto/Gonzales/Ferarri

This poll will end at 10:00 AM PST on the 22nd (two days) or if 25 votes are reached before that.

Last edited:
I wish all of the candidates the best throughout their primaries. De Conti, well done sir. You have bested me soundly, to the point where I was not evident in the primary.

It is good to see rebellion met with death. I am not of the school that dictates that aggression should be met with concession. Rather, I believe that encroachment must be met with defense, as exemplified here.

I demand, both of myself and of everyone, a respect for Democracy. No more coups, or shameful planning of coups. Political change must be enacted in a democratic way, or we are not men but beasts!

I will be changing my party affiliation to Patriotas, as it is evident that I am more suited for their platform as a conservative. I wish all of the candidates good luck, and I welcome an era of peace to Chile.

Senator Alejandro Ruiz de Escovedo

Army Chief of Staff: Rios ((rudders10))

I see General Rios as the appropriate choice for Chief of Staff. He has proven himself loyal to the Republic again and again as well as being a competent General. Additionally, being a member of the FNT, I trust that he will actively work against coup attempts of all kinds.

I would like to let people know my intentions if elected as Chief of Staff. I see it as a crucial role in not only maintaining the military but as acting as a check on the President in any foolish military adventures, either internally or externally. I have shown my worth as a commander in the field and will show my worth in this office. As other Generals have said it is important to seperate the military from the politicians. This is true but not to the extent some say. The military is an arm of the Government and is therefore a political tool to be used but used by the Congress and President not as a plaything for the President.

I will ensure that my soldiers are treated fairly and well, demostrated by my voting for the Equality in the Armed Services Bill. Our soldiers are Cjileans of all colours and creeds who pout their lives in danger to serve this great country. Therefore they are deseving of not just our respect but our trust. I trust my men and they should be trusted by all.

I hope for your vote to continue to keep our military strong and true.

General Rios

President: Gogołów
Army Chief of Staff: Rios

President: Gogolow

Chileans, this is our chance to change the direction of this country! A vote for FNT in this election is a vote for continuing democracy and increased equality. Are you tired of the "do nothings" of the bourgeois governments. Let's unite and vote for a FNT government that is willing to help to make the life of all workers, soldiers and farmers better, not only the rich people.

For these elections, I must state that I am not a member of any party, and thus the only impartial candidate for the Chief of Staff position. If chosen to be the new CoS, I will work to ensure the armies are placed under competent commanders, who will not needlessly throw away the lives of their troops during times of war or coup. I shall also ensure that the constant politizing of the army that has occured of the past decades will cease, and that all our Generals are loyal to Chile first, and any political party second.

- Minister of Defense, Christiano Ferarri

For these elections, I must state that I am not a member of any party, and thus the only impartial candidate for the Chief of Staff position. If chosen to be the new CoS, I will work to ensure the armies are placed under competent commanders, who will not needlessly throw away the lives of their troops during times of war or coup. I shall also ensure that the constant politizing of the army that has occured of the past decades will cease, and that all our Generals are loyal to Chile first, and any political party second.

- Minister of Defense, Christiano Ferarri

While I accept that you are not a member of any party I disagree that this makes you the "impartial candidate". Anyone can be outside of a political party and still have strong views just as not everyone in a party is so blinkered that they cant see anything else. Unless you believe that all soldiers or generals that are members of parties are partial and therefore should not lead then I believe you should stop treating yourself as something special, or unique. It is the very thinking that the military should be depoliticized that led to Rivera purging communist soldiers from our army. I believe that you were the minister that implemented this policy and therefore is an example of you directly applying politics to the army!!!

I would point out that this has now been reversed by a huge majority ina bill presented by my colleuages.

General Rios

President: de Conti

President: de Conti
Chief of Staff: Ferrari

I have a great deal of respect for both candidates, and am only opposed to Gogolow on the basis of his statist economic policy. Sadly, the good General also opposes a full free market, though he is much more acceptable.

I would ask thos who have abstained and those yet to vote to consider this. It is looking likely that there will be a victory here for the right. Do we want to have a right wing President and a right wing Cheif of Staff? Consider the implications of this....

General Rios