• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Interesting DD, here some Qs:
1) Will factories be built/run with the foreign investor or the domestic techs? A badly unciv state could lack the ability to build anything except very few types of firm.
2) Will this process involve some basical tech transfer (maybe with a low % of firing, like an invention, to acquire an obsolete master's tech in industry or commerce tree, something like 2 steps behind of the master's current one) or give research/westernize bonus to target? I'm thinking to something like the Western arms trade bonus of EU3.
3) Will the "host" country able to destroy unwanted factories, even with a laissez-faire politic?
I fear that AI foreign capis could spam the target state with lots of factories of their choice, filling the slots with firms a player would not desire and couldn't destroy. On the other hand, a subtle GP human player could move very low profit factories to his spherelings, using them to consume his raw materials surplus while he frees slots for telephones, radios, cars and other stuff that spherelings will no longer have room to produce (once they'll have the techs, of course).

Last edited:
How about factories built in a part of an empire which subsequently break way, i.e. if the UK builds a liquor factory in Dublin and Ireland then gains independence, will she still rule through her capitalists, her landlords, financiers, and through the whole array of commercial and industrial institutions she has planted in Ireland and watered with the tears of our mothers and the blood of our martyrs? Or will those factories be reset as purely Irish?

This, and what if I invest in the Papal States, and Sardinia-Piedmont later annexes them. Am I still invested in Italy?

Very great work!!

I have a question.
In Vic2, player has too much money if you play in UK, FRA or something.
So, I think player can invest all over the world and grab world economy easily.
How is the amount of money for investment decided or limited?

How about factories built in a part of an empire which subsequently break way, i.e. if the UK builds a liquor factory in Dublin and Ireland then gains independence, will she still rule through her capitalists, her landlords, financiers, and through the whole array of commercial and industrial institutions she has planted in Ireland and watered with the tears of our mothers and the blood of our martyrs? Or will those factories be reset as purely Irish?

100% pure irish. the influence you have is more to the government side of things, so if a state with factories gets taken in war you will still retain influence in that country because they remember your contribution

Very great work!!

I have a question.
In Vic2, player has too much money if you play in UK, FRA or something.
So, I think player can invest all over the world and grab world economy easily.
How is the amount of money for investment decided or limited?

its not, but having "too much money" is a problem with the game we aim to fix. better to start in the right end :)

How do foreign investments work with the different economic policies in the game? For example right now you need a state-capitalist policy to build factories in your own country, if you have Laissez-faire policies then you can't build any factories.

But in AHD if you have a Laissez-faire party in power can you still build factories in other countries while not being able to do the same in your country? Does that not seem counter-intuitive? How do the capitalists tie into all of this?

100% pure irish. the influence you have is more to the government side of things, so if a state with factories gets taken in war you will still retain influence in that country because they remember your contribution
Shouldn't it be up to the Irish in such a case to choose whether to nationalise or the industries or not?
If you are forcing them to nationalise in such a situation, it sort of defeats the point of having nationalisation as a decision.
So if the Irish break away peacefully, presumably they get away with nationalising all their former overlord's industries without any consequences because they were a vassal rather than a spheree, when historically there have been wars fought over that very thing?

Why not just let them choose whether to nationalise or not, the system you say you already have in place for spherees?

Who is gonna work in the uncivilized factories? Craftsmen require a minimum literacy to exist, dont they?

you can only invest in railroads in uncivs. not factories.

But in AHD if you have a Laissez-faire party in power can you still build factories in other countries while not being able to do the same in your country? Does that not seem counter-intuitive? How do the capitalists tie into all of this?

its dependent on government policies, so Laissez fair cant do direct investments (its all moddable btw)

Will it be possible to invest in other GPs? If not, what happens to your investments when a country becomes a GP?

Can we mod this to make the share of the market more dependent on investment if we so chose?

Shouldn't it be up to the Irish in such a case to choose whether to nationalise or the industries or not?
If you are forcing them to nationalise in such a situation, it sort of defeats the point of having nationalisation as a decision.
So if the Irish break away peacefully, presumably they get away with nationalising all their former overlord's industries without any consequences because they were a vassal rather than a spheree, when historically there have been wars fought over that very thing?

Why not just let them choose whether to nationalise or not, the system you say you already have in place for spherees?

The same reason rebels dont get the original states diplomacy,
We haven't fostered any good will by investing in there nation...

The same reason rebels dont get the original states diplomacy,
We haven't fostered any good will by investing in there nation...
Could you rephrase that? I don't see how it is related to what I posted.

Excellent! This is the best improvement yet, IMO.

I'm confused by this: Capitalists are allowed to do investments if they have spare cash, but the outputs/profits from foreign investments go to the local Capitalists, not the initial investors, right? What is the benefit in foreign investment for Capitalists in that case?

Also, will it be possible to put encourage industry NFs in other countries, to encourage foreign investment when you have an LF government? Or will there be a new "foreign investment" NF that you can place on your own state, to encourage the Capitalists there to invest abroad?

Could you rephrase that? I don't see how it is related to what I posted.

The irish break away from UK, they dont get the uk's diplomacy, this effect is on diplomacy like podcat said.
The effects stays with the original country...

Or are you referring to puppet/master relations into GP status?

How will the AI handle investments? I ask thing because it would be weird see the last great power investing on the first secondary power since he would be helping is rival for position.

Also I asked before but none answered, is it possible for a nation to actively attract foreign investment, or is it just up to the investor? Because let's say I am playing with an minor civilized power like Portugal, attracting investors to make factories in my country would be a great boost

The irish break away from UK, they dont get the uk's diplomacy, this effect is on diplomacy like podcat said.
The effects stays with the original country...
Oh, okay.

Last edited:
... and can build factories in other countries (that have governments that allow it).

Exactly which policies allow foreign investment - same ones that allow capitalists to build factories? Or have protectionism/free trade any effect here?