• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm personally of the opinion Britain joined in to seize Iraqi oil.
Yes but your a leftie and thus are obsessed with oil as the motive for everything. :p

More relevantly the major Iraqi oil fields weren't found till the 1920s (1927 for the massive fields around Kirkuk). So unless your positing that the British knew the fields were there but kept them a secret until 1927 (and why 1927?) I think your opinion may well be in need of some revision.

As to the update, if only the British training had been as good as the French or German training... Oh no, wait. That was rubbish as well and also contained inordinate amounts of bayonet drill and marching around.

Yes but your a leftie and thus are obsessed with oil as the motive for everything. :p

More relevantly the major Iraqi oil fields weren't found till the 1920s (1927 for the massive fields around Kirkuk). So unless your positing that the British knew the fields were there but kept them a secret until 1927 (and why 1927?) I think your opinion may well be in need of some revision.

Well to be fair on Jape, geologists discovered decent supplies of oil in Mesopotamia as far back as 1870/1. Although I think he is mistaking Iraqi oil for Iranian oil, Edward Grey did mention fears in Parliament that German influence in the Ottoman Empire and by extension Gulf could cut off access to the APOC's new megarefinery at Abadan, set up in 1913 to exploit oil that had been known and extracted since 1901, with decent returns being made from 1908, which saw Anglo-Persian move in.

Well to be fair on Jape, geologists discovered decent supplies of oil in Mesopotamia as far back as 1870/1. Although I think he is mistaking Iraqi oil for Iranian oil, Edward Grey did mention fears in Parliament that German influence in the Ottoman Empire and by extension Gulf could cut off access to the APOC's new megarefinery at Abadan, set up in 1913 to exploit oil that had been known and extracted since 1901, with decent returns being made from 1908, which saw Anglo-Persian move in.
I must confess I had assumed Jape could tell the difference between Iraq and Iran. I know there is a lot of similar letters, but that 'q' on the end is pretty distinctive.

If you assert serious pressure on the South of the Western Front you will surely force the Germans to pull back from French soil atleast for fear of being flanked. All you need is for them to withdraw a decent number of divisions to deal with a concerted attack along the Rhine and then you can push on to retake Lille.

I like the dark humor in that update.

I must confess I had assumed Jape could tell the difference between Iraq and Iran. I know there is a lot of similar letters, but that 'q' on the end is pretty distinctive.

:rofl:

This is bloody lovely. I think I'll be reinstalling HOI2 and giving the Great War mod a spin - how I haven't before is beyond me.

Also, I know this was AGES ago, you chaps talking about Britain having no real reason to defend Belgium. I'm personally of the opinion Britain joined in to seize Iraqi oil. I base this on the Berlin-Baghdad Railway and increasing German-Ottoman economic ties being the equivalent of a laxative for the Foriegn Office and the Admiralty (who had recently changed from coal to oil fuel), the Entente doing practically everything in its power to push Constantinople into the Central Powers camp in late 1914 (seizing of ships and financial assets primarily), and the fact that the first British troops deployed during the Great War went not to Brugge but to Basra. Thought I'd chip in REALLY late on that one.

well, allow me to retort, even if my colleagues have done so before. Economic gain had little to nothing to do with warfare up to WW1, with perhaps the Boer Wars as exception. It was an unholy mixture of jingoism, revanchism, pride, prestige, rivalry and paranoia that made Europe tear eachother apart. The Brits didn't trust the Kaiser and his fleet and hoped a quick victory would take Emperor Bill down a peg. Furthermore, they where bound by honour to protect Belgium because of an ancient treaty where they promised to do so. The prospect ofthe Hochseeflotte in Oostende and Zeebrugge didn't help either. Lastly, when it came to oil, the Brits already controlled Brunei, the Emirates and had Persia as a satellite. Also, neutral Netherlands (East Indies), Romania and the USA provided the world with more oil that it knew what to do with at the time.

But a historic rant aside, the update really captured the futility of the battles on the Western Front. Keep up the good work Sir Steiner.

well, allow me to retort, even if my colleagues have done so before. Economic gain had little to nothing to do with warfare up to WW1, with perhaps the Boer Wars as exception. It was an unholy mixture of jingoism, revanchism, pride, prestige, rivalry and paranoia that made Europe tear eachother apart. The Brits didn't trust the Kaiser and his fleet and hoped a quick victory would take Emperor Bill down a peg. Furthermore, they where bound by honour to protect Belgium because of an ancient treaty where they promised to do so. The prospect ofthe Hochseeflotte in Oostende and Zeebrugge didn't help either. Lastly, when it came to oil, the Brits already controlled Brunei, the Emirates and had Persia as a satellite. Also, neutral Netherlands (East Indies), Romania and the USA provided the world with more oil that it knew what to do with at the time.

But a historic rant aside, the update really captured the futility of the battles on the Western Front. Keep up the good work Sir Steiner.

I have a four-word response to the first paragraph.

British East India Company.

Someone may even suggest an amphibious landing into Belgium!:rofl:

Chapter twenty-six: Remembrances of a past gone and buried

It seemed as if the Allied effort was doomed to fail. As the offensives in Artois and Champagne were comming to an unglorious end, General Smith-Dorrien began to prepare another thrust against Nasiriyah.

middleeast.jpg

British soldiers landing at Basra and moving to the front.

With Basra secured, the next target was still to be Baghdad. After reinforcing and caring back to health the Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force (MEF), reinforced by the arrival of a Japanese corps (4th Gundan - three infantry divisions) under Lt. Gen. Kamio, Smith-Dorrien was still worried about some of his units. Indeed, most of the Indian Army was formed by light divisions, which were having a bad times facing the Turk. In that he agreed with Lord Curzon, who felt that better Indian divisions should be raised or that units should be brought from Britain or the Dominions -it goes without saying that French wanted to hear none of this. To make it worse, the MEF was lacking of enough field guns and shells for them.

add.jpg
Meanwhile, Viceroy Hardinge pressed Smith Dorrien to take Nassiriya, as he felt that it was a vital supply base, the capture of which would make the MEF’s position impregnable. With the last failed attempt still fresh on his mind, Smith Dorrien was unwilling to throw his army into a futile enterprise. Then, Italy came to his rescue.

ScreenSave0.jpg

The landings at Antalya (June 26 - August 10th, 1915)

General Monesi had been leading the 12th Italian Division in Italy until a few weeks prior to the start of the war for his country. Then he had been reassigned to lead an adhoc unit of Bersaglieri at Rhodes. There, as if possesed by the spirits of the Hospitallier knights who had raided the Turkish coast in a distant past, he landed by surprise with his Bersagleri at Antalya, to the shock and surprise of the Ottoman commanders. And to add insult to injury, what the British onslaught at Gallipoli had failed to achieve, Monesi managed to cause in a few hours. At soon as he landed, Istambul scrambled at the outrage of the Italian presence in their mainland and troops from Mesopotamia and the victorious army at Batum were send at once to face the Italian "threat".

ScreenSave1-2.jpg

There remained Monesi until mid August 1915, when the presence of a whole Turkish corps suggested him that it was time to leave. By then he had done his work, to many's surprise -and Churchill's bewilderment (1)- : to create havoc in the Ottoman Emprie and to throw into disarray its military effort. For some time, the Ottoman army did look as if the Italian raid had been nothing important. In fact, with the fall of Tblisi, the Turkish advance into Georgia semeed on the verge of becoming a big success.

ScreenSave116-1.jpg

However, it was a mirage.

(1) Great. I used three divisions against the Turk at Gallipoli, and he defeated my attempt without rushing reinforcements to the area. And there you have, a bunch of spaghetti-eaters (with all due respect and simpathy for our Italian mates) searching for the relics of Hector and Achilles -too south, I must agree- and the whole Ottoman empire goes into a panicked frenzie!!!!! If this is not a WTF-moment, I don't know what the heck it is. I can only think of a worse fate. Having the Frenchies causing this lovely havoc. :D

@trekaddict: I knew you were to appreciate that :D

@quaazi: He might, indeed... Provided that a big shell did not land amidst his big moustache. As for Monty... no, for a time I thought I was being joked, but not, Monty did that. This may explain his future behaviour -"got shot once it's enough, lads".

@Jape: Giving the Great War mod a chance is always a good idea. About the real reasons of Britain to go to war, I think I've said or read that before in this thread, but it's always nicer to say "let's help poor little brave Belgium" than "ey, move quick or the Huns will stole the oil".

@Timmie0307: and a bit late, too :D

@El Pip: The 1920s... That's a good reason not to argue for that in 1914... :D About the training. That little perfect machine that was the British army of 1914 is, in many's opinion -me among them-, the best army that Britain ever send to a war -WW2 included. That doesn't mind that they did not do some hundreds of silly mistakes, as I will show in future updates. :D What to say about the French army still using the red pants instead of something less "visible"? The German machine gunners loved those pants. Or what to say about the Kindermord bei Ypren?

Anyway, had been the Brits the only one making mistakes, the war would have been certainly shorter and more boring, for sure. :p

@Enewald: By leaving Lenin to go on the prowl?

@Tommy4ever: That's the problem, alàs, because when I begin to put pressure there, the Germans manage to move their reserves there and trash me all right. That's the problem of facing an enemy with shorter inner lines. Anyway, in due time, I'll find a way among the wire.

Gosh, that sounds so Melchiettized...

@Nathan Madien: Thank you.

@FlyingDutchie: Sir Steiner... I forgot to use that well earned title.. Shame on me.

@Razgriz 2K9: The problem is that they did not know for sure. They were firmly believer that, using enough guns and enough men, they could march to Berlin unscathed. The problem is that when comming to practical terms, the firepower of the defenders was too vast and their defences too formidble to rush them all in a single battle. And to learn that it took a bit of time, even if some of the Generals in both sides had a slight idea about that.

@Sir Humphrey: Well, I haven't given up the Baltic scheme. Yet. :p

Is it me or the answers are longer than the update? :D

Last edited:
Frankly I'm suprised that the russians are even TRYING to fend off the Turk. But with this italian miracle, you'll be in Istanbul in no time!

Yes yes, I know, old british commander problem, getting carried away by slight successes. :D

At least I'm not the only one not surprised about Turkey, how I rate competence of the countries' generals in WWI put's well, I'll list them:

British
French
American
German
Japanese
Austro-Hungarian
Bulgarian
Serbian/Montenegran
Greek
Italian
Turk
Russian

Russia is always dead last in a WWI scenario, Jesus Christ. :p

Johny Turk will be dead in a month!

Well, an interesting Middle Eastern conflict to say the least. The Japs and Italians sudenly decided to be useful, while the Turk is taking on the Bear quite effectively. Looking forward to the arrival of Allenby and Lawrence in Palestine to add to the chaos :D.

At least I'm not the only one not surprised about Turkey, how I rate competence of the countries' generals in WWI put's well, I'll list them:

British
French
American
German
Japanese
Austro-Hungarian
Bulgarian
Serbian/Montenegran
Greek
Italian
Turk
Russian

Russia is always dead last in a WWI scenario, Jesus Christ. :p

You put the Turks below the Japanese? The Japanese were essentially non combatants; they shouldn't even be on the list. As for their place on list generally, Mustafa Kemal is worth 3-4 spots by himself considering he fought the British, French and Italian armies after the armistice and won. Losing the middle east to arab revolution can't be held against them, it was one of the first nationalist anti colonial wars something which France, Britain and the US haven't been able to win in the 20th century either.

The Italian Generals should be bottom of that list. The Russian Generals didn't actually do that badly. Remember Brusilov masterminded the greatest Allied victory of the whole war and pioneered the stormtrooper tactics which would be so successful in breaking the stalemate in the West. On top of this thing only started to really collapse for Russia when the home front went down the pan - considering the quality of their army compared to the Germans after 1914 this is no mean feat.