• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter Seventy-five
1728-1730

After signing peace with Nice around New Year 1728 I immediately declare war on Portugal. Granted, my infamy is a bit high but with the Colonialism CB's low price I should still be able to make some gains.

78_01.jpg

Besides, this won't be a quick war thanks to the terrible distances in Canada. Speaking of that region, I start a limited shipbuilding campaign in the Americas with the idea of using the new ships to gain naval superiority in the Hudson Bay area. I'm waiting for Threedeckers before I build serious numbers though.

I also peace out Spain for some cash and cores.

The early part of the war is silent, with nothing but small battles in Europe. The first significant battle takes place in Tras-os-Montes when the Portuguese attempt to retake one of the two provinces I've occupied so far. I'm not able to reinforce in time but fortunately they forgot to bring a general.

78_02.jpg

In a not quite as fortunate development the Portuguese slip in a pitiful three regiment army exactly one day before my other army arrives, wiping out my stack.

78_03.jpg

This is bad. As of now I cannot transport troops between the continents during wartime - one fleet is still returning from Africa and the rest are needed to keep the enemy out of my lightly defended islands - so any regiments I lose won't be replaced.

That, however, isn't a good enough reason to accept the white peace offer from Portugal, especially with the first North American province falling to our hands.

Ahjumawi, a North American province, gets a spare colonist in May while Millioke converts. Our new African provinces come up with useful resources: Khoi Khoi gets more slaves while Mawuti produces the very profitable pepper. That also gives us a producer bonus.

78_04.jpg

We get Naval tech level 50 in July. There are also some important developments in the war as England loses its main transport fleet and Artois' white peace offer is accepted. Otaku starts producing fish and Colhuacan cores.

We're regularly shaving ships off England's main war fleet. August brings the most successful battle so far as seven enemy vessels are sunk. Penobscot is the second North American province to be occupied, while an unfortunate rebellion in the northwest will be ignored for a long time as all troops are needed for marching towards Portuguese provinces.

A major battle is won in September. I finally bring enough numbers to an Iberian battle against the Portuguese, and with a superior general leading our troops we're able to slay most of their men. The originally large stack is eliminated later in the month.

78_05.jpg

An assault fails in Canada. This will most likely prolong the war, but at least it wasn't in the very northwest where the travel times are the worst. Wairau in New Zealand gets a very nice resource, sandalwood. Bearn is the next province to see the hilarious cultural conversion to Colonial Occitain. The same happens to Girona soon after.

As October rolls around, Okitika starts producing fish, later followed by Quechuan getting lumber. Galicia falls to our assault late in the month.

Around Christmas we occupy two more provinces, one target province in Canada and another one in Portugal. Our mission succeeds as a fine arts academy is built in Bio Bio. Perhaps now the locals find some deeper meaning in life that doesn't involve repeatedly converting to Inti? Nah, who am I kidding.

Vanuatu starts producing maize in January 1729. Around 20000 infantry then finally arrive in Kistahpinanikh, the very faraway province in northwestern Canada. I assault and they all die. Happy days and jubilation, time for them all to march out and then back in again - I don't expect to see peace in a couple of years after this failure unless the siege forces left behind actually surprise me and accomplish something.

Potoskeet converts in February, while the last Portuguese army of notable size north of the capital is taken care of in March.

78_06.jpg

Hochelaga is occupied, granting one more target province. Xavante starts producing maize.

Mawuti, the colony we took from Nice, is culture and religion flipped in April. Sankhikan converts in May and Beira Litoral falls, giving me control of roughly the northern half of the Portuguese homeland. As far as taking land in Canada goes, I'm being very patient: the northwestern failure means that I'm in no hurry to take any other provinces, so I can wait until I can get very strong odds before assaulting.

Hackensack converts in June and Wahnapitee in July, while small naval battles are won. Beira Baixa is occupied late in the month - this is as far as I'm going to go for now in mainland Portugal as they have major armies around Alentejo and I have no particular reason to go there.

Our theologian dies in August and is replaced by a five-star. Omamiwinini falls and with that there are only two must-have target provinces left.

Meanwhile, one of my main fleets is done with its operation of transporting small garrisons to the new African provinces and begins the journey back to Europe. A new admiral is recruited for the occasion and I luck out, getting a very good one despite decreasing tradition.

Then in September a very important technology is discovered as Naval tech level 51 brings Threedeckers.

78_07.jpg

I start building sixty of them immediately. This will be a bit expensive and I'm already way over my forcelimit, but it should make a real difference in my attempts to rule the seas.

A spare colonist is sent to Amazonian province Kaxico while Ahjumawi starts producing maize. Our African fleet keeps running into small English fleets - Inti knows what the heck they're doing there - and capturing their ancient wargalleons.

The Expansionism slider is maxed via event in January 1730. Katerokwi converts and Labourd flips to Colonial Oc, followed by Montpelhier a bit later. A February great storm leaves Texcoco with no immediate casualties.

Then in March, the moment I've been waiting for: the ultra annoying Kistahpinanikh falls to the Incas after a successful assault!

78_08.jpg

Ah. I leave a couple of regiments there permanently to watch for rebels, so barring something shocking I'm never going to have to give another thought to the darned place.

Matabesic sees this as a sign and embraces Inti. Pankararu in Amazonia gets a colonist to finish my mission.

May sees the death of my cardinal advisor and his replacement with a five-star of the same type.

Kashechewan is assaulted in May; I'm going to take it as it's Colonialism enabled but it wasn't one of the essential provinces as it opens no new provinces for the CB.

Kaxico gets brazilwood as its resource - that proved to be a good place for a colony. Quechuan grows into a city in August while 1600 people die when a volcano erupts in Manubo.

Then in October reinforcements arrive and I'm finally able to assault Naskapi, the last key province in this war. Peace is signed for eight provinces as well as a core or two and a tiny bit of cash.

78_09.jpg

The maps are looking nice. Many Colonialism enabled provinces are still available in the next war, and each province with a long marching time can now be reached via sea instead.

78_10.jpg

78_11.jpg

78_12.jpg

You've almost driven out the European Plague from you America's!!! Looking good, and you also have a pretty foothold in Southern Europe, which is even better!

Good progress. One more colonial war against Portugal before you go imperial on them?
Can you zoom in on the Incan Pacific sometime? It's hard to see the color of the small islands on the world map.

You didn't check or notice arrival times?:eek:hmy:
A core or two - 32
HURRAH ThreeDeckers start building 60 immediately. :cool:

Aug 5,1983. in PHILIPPINE ISLANDS. Squadron 3 day party. 220 Airwing US Marines.
1st Day. 12 men in sickbay, 2nd Day. 27 men, 3rd Day. 18 more some from first two days.
Most drunken falls/trips
2nd day about 45 grunts/infantry tried to crash the party, They were unsuccessful.
30+ to sickbay 5 got extended stay in the hospital. Our side 2 broken nose 1ear 1/2 cut off :ninja:

Keep up the good work.:excl:

Within time, Portugal will be completely absorbed by the Incas :D . Great work, although losing an entire army is never fun (unless, of course, it is the enemy army) . I'm looking forward to further expansions.

In a way, it'll be a shame when you achieve naval superiority. Wars are always more interesting when you're forced to make do with inadequate forces in-theatre. Of course, they're generally a lot less stress-inducing too, so I can't say I blame you.

Are you going to be continuing this?

You've almost driven out the European Plague from you America's!!! Looking good, and you also have a pretty foothold in Southern Europe, which is even better!

Yes, the American goal is close to completion so I'm working on the next one too. Good to have you reading! :)

Being master of the Americas and punisher of the interlopers is super hard work! : )

Easier than being said interloper though. :D

Good progress. One more colonial war against Portugal before you go imperial on them?
Can you zoom in on the Incan Pacific sometime? It's hard to see the color of the small islands on the world map.

I'll try to show the Pacific a bit better in the next update. It's difficult to show well because of the distances involved and the limited zoom out distance in HTTT, but I'll think of something.

One more colonial war for sure, then a mix of both going forward I'd guess.

You didn't check or notice arrival times?:eek:hmy:
A core or two - 32
HURRAH ThreeDeckers start building 60 immediately. :cool:

I did notice the time, but by then it was too late to do anything. Those provinces are small, so you don't know the exact date of arrival until it's right around the corner.

Yup, quite a haul of cores and cash. :)

The new ships should help make sure that dealing with America and Europe simultaneously will be easier in the future.

Aug 5,1983. in PHILIPPINE ISLANDS. Squadron 3 day party. 220 Airwing US Marines.
1st Day. 12 men in sickbay, 2nd Day. 27 men, 3rd Day. 18 more some from first two days.
Most drunken falls/trips
2nd day about 45 grunts/infantry tried to crash the party, They were unsuccessful.
30+ to sickbay 5 got extended stay in the hospital. Our side 2 broken nose 1ear 1/2 cut off :ninja:

Keep up the good work.:excl:

Thanks! Sounds like a rather scary party... :blink:

Within time, Portugal will be completely absorbed by the Incas :D . Great work, although losing an entire army is never fun (unless, of course, it is the enemy army) . I'm looking forward to further expansions.

They should be, thanks. :)

So little left to get all the Americas! But watch out those colonial Occitans, they might draft a new constitution and rebel against your enlightened Inti rule ;)

Hehe, something tells me colonial revolts in the Americas won't fare particularly well here. :D

In a way, it'll be a shame when you achieve naval superiority. Wars are always more interesting when you're forced to make do with inadequate forces in-theatre. Of course, they're generally a lot less stress-inducing too, so I can't say I blame you.

Oh, there will still be situations where my forces are inadequate. I prefer being able to react when that happens. ;)

Tawantisuyu - the Empire where Sun never sets.

Indeed! :)

Are you going to be continuing this?

Certainly, the latest update was less than a month ago after all? Good timing on your part though - this is the first quiet moment at home I've had in more than a month (I did slip in one update since then), and what better way to use it than write AARs? :D I'm nearly done with the update, expect it within 48 hours.

Also, welcome! :)

Just a reminder - do vote for your favorite AARs in the AARland Choice AwAARds everyone! The more voters the better it is, and with the new format voting is easier than ever.

maybe you should play in the DW version after this one is over and play as one of the mesoamerican nations?

if you have it that is...

Yeah, it's possible I start another MEIOU AAR when I'm done with this one. I was kind of thinking about something in Africa though. :) Or possibly something more devious...

Glad to have you here!

Chapter Seventy-six
1730-1733

Viti reaches city status shortly after the Portuguese conflict is over. As such, I feel ready for a new Pacific colony so my fleet heads for Kanaky (New Caledonia), carrying troops that will slaughter the locals.

The end of November sees the birth of a new heir, Inca Roca (A/D/M 6/7/5). Not quite as talented as Sayri Tupac I, but way better than his recent predecessors.

Onigamiinsing embraces Inti in March 1731, while in April Europe becomes a proper part of the Inca Empire as an earthquake hits Lengadoc and 1400 people die.

79_01.jpg

Yavapai cores and Navasink converts in October. I'm working on assembling my new sixty threedecker fleet - the plan is to send it to Europe to act as one of the main battle fleets, freeing one of the mixed squadrons for American duty.

Pankararu starts producing the profitable brazilwood and Goyaz upgrades to sugar. Mawuti grows into a city in November, leaving no more colonies in Africa. I realize that I forgot to send merchants to Barcelona when I conquered it, so I do that now.

My Theologian dies, so I use my max cultural tradition to misclick and create an advisor of the wrong type. I then spam paintings and end up with a six-star Theologian after all; no harm done. He shows his worth as Ossossane converts.

As 1731 nears its end, so does my truce with Catalunya. I maneuver troops into place so, on the first possible day, I'm ready to...

79_02.jpg

...change plans. Drat, turns out that Catalunya has allied with Portugal at the last second - I checked their alliances maybe a month ago and it wasn't there so this is a narrow escape. No way I'm taking a longer truce with Portugal at this point so I'll have to fight someone else.

Early 1732 features Ahjumawi and Futuna reaching city status as well as the conversion of Metoac. By mid-February I have some 40000 men aboard ships sitting next to Italy. War is declared on the substitute target, Tuscany.

79_03.jpg

Everyone except for the Emperor Savoy joins in. The Papal State has no way to reach me, and Verona is just an OPM north of mainland Tuscany. As such, it's practically me against Tuscany and Geneve. I have stationed a fleet between Ireland and England to make sure that Geneve doesn't try anything funny there, so there are basically two fronts: the main one in Italy, and a secondary one around Tuscan la Coumtat and Geneve's mainland holdings.

79_04.jpg

The enemy is quicker in entering my territory than vice versa as a small army enters Gavaudan in late February. That's easy to take care of, and my men make landfall in Lazio in March, quickly assaulting the poorly fortified province.

An instrumental victory takes place late in the month as Tuscany's transport fleet is sunk, practically ending any naval threat. April brings Land tech level 51 and a major defensive victory in Lazio.

79_05.jpg

I push forward into Umbria in May, getting a narrow victory - narrow enough that chasing isn't an option.

79_06.jpg

Knysna in South Africa is, for a change, a logical place to flip to Colonial Occitain. Whakatane and Kaxico grow into cities in June, the former being my first full city in New Zealand. A minor battle is won in Siena, allowing the province to be assaulted the next month.

Umbria falls in August, giving me a total of three occupied provinces by now.

79_07.jpg

A small combined enemy army gets taken care of in southern France, finally giving me the opportunity to occupy la Coumtat. Papal State and Verona accept white peace offers in mid-September after Tuscany suffers a devastating loss when trying to retake Umbria.

79_08.jpg

Production tech level 51 is reached in October. I'm slowly pushing into Geneve's continental territory, trying only to force peace. That succeeds when Auvernhe is assaulted - Geneve then pays a small indemnity and annuls all treaties (a guarantee, in this case) with Nice.

Cored land in the Americas is mostly converted, as well as much of any non-core territory with good missionary chances and low RR. I therefore send a missionary to Mide in Ireland and it turns out that the Irish aren't the kind of people that make a fuss over their religion: Mide becomes the first Inti province in Europe just nine days after the missionary was sent.

79_09.jpg

Hmm, that went well. I'll send some to Spain and France too.

Kanaky (New Caledonia) is successfully colonized, bringing me another Pacific island.

79_10.jpg

The main Tuscan army is bounced around but we can't get the elimination due to their artillery. A secondary Inca army occupies Abruzzi.

Government tech level 51 is discovered and Pankararu reaches city status.

The army I've been chasing in Italy is engaged two more times in November, and finally the battle of Toscana proves fatal.

79_11.jpg

With resistance growing thin we assault the capital. Trade tech level 51 is reached in December and I start three more colonies in the Americas as colonists are piling up. Manukau in New Zealand reaches city status as 1733 begins.

Lucca falls in January, followed by Marche de Ancona in February and Emilia in March. Another Military Reform event costs me another Innovative move, but this time the associated Quality move proves to be especially useful as I'm now able to take Militia Act for a Discipline bonus and an extra Quality move.

79_12.jpg

Montpelhier converts in June, bringing Inti to continental Europe for the first time. Pisa and Volterra are occupied, leaving Tuscany with only six unoccupied Italian provinces.

79_13.jpg

This is as far as I'm going to go now. The remaining provinces are fort level 4 or 5, and I have enough warscore to grab what my infamy limit will realistically allow. It's time for peace.

79_14.jpg

I never got around to bringing down the level 5 fort in Rome, but other than that, we take most of the west coast. We now have nice continuous holdings in Western Italy from which to launch attacks farther east.

79_15.jpg

I think those provinces are becoming Colonial Oc because they are distant overseas compared to you and obviously are in the Oc culture group. that makes them become colonial Oc as they are colonial provinces in relation to your capital.

maybe you should try ethiopia.

I think those provinces are becoming Colonial Oc because they are distant overseas compared to you and obviously are in the Oc culture group. that makes them become colonial Oc as they are colonial provinces in relation to your capital.

I wonder how this works. Since they can't convert to the inca's culture due to the way the events work, is there even any point to this conversion from one culture not your own to another?

How do you invade Europe? Isn't it that you can't modernize your military before DW, so you have to deal with New World units, while they have Western units?

How do you invade Europe? Isn't it that you can't modernize your military before DW, so you have to deal with New World units, while they have Western units?

I suggest you start reading this from the beginning if you want to know How It's Done (tm) :)

It turns out that the Irish aren't the kind of people that make a fuss over their religion.
This had me laughing out loud. Thanks for another great update.