• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That's the problem. Ulmont can pipe in with the exact details, but the problem is that CK has a very large number of tags (for counts/dukes/kings), and EU3 has a much smaller. Sometimes the converter wants to make more EU3 countries than is possible. I'm not really sure if there's a solution, unfortunately.

Sometimes the converter wants to make more EU3 countries than is possible. I'm not really sure if there's a solution, unfortunately.

The only solution would be to merge independent countries, but deciding which independent countries should be merged, especially when they are likely to just be random counts scattered across the map is...problematic.

There might be potential to figure out which counts really aren't controlling much territory (removing all single province independent counts or similar), but that would require a fair amount of rework.

I have downloaded all the fixes and still, there is a problem I can't deal with.
Everything is converting well, all needed tags are assigned and there should be 118 countries in HTTT save - yet nothing happens and the converter crashes without any messages...

Edit: Ah, and there are the last lines from my save conversion report:

THUR - THU (1 owned counties / 1 controlled counties / 2 provinces)
TUNI - TUN (136 owned counties / 136 controlled counties / 80 provinces)
VERO - MAN (3 owned counties / 3 controlled counties / 2 provinces) (union >C317) (union >C351) (2 sub provinces [2/4])
113 countries left

Last edited:
Jan, those are normally the last lines as it succeeds. Are you running under Vista or 7? And if so, is everything installed under Program Files? If so, then the converter can't write to the save games folder (windows security). There might be an easier way, but I prefer to reinstall to a different location.

MnM: If you own any of the CK counties that convert to a EU3 province, then you get a core on that province. Claims aren't looked at.

Would it be one possibility to continue my save game to the end of CK and hope there are fewer independent countries left? Also, are the vassals counted as countries?

Yes, actually. The converter doesn't look at the CK date.

As for vassals, they sometimes merge into your country and sometimes become independent nations. The exact rules are in cvdata.txt (search for "rules for making a country when it is a CK vassal").

In general though, you want high gold, high prestige, and high piety, and for your vassals to have low gold, low prestige, high piety, and high loyalty.

I know there's no such thing as inflation in CK, but playing from start to end it's likely that the player's gold will become excessively high near the end.

I recommend dividing it by 5 or 10 for when it transfers over. Ie, 10,000 gold becomes 1,000 and 100,000 gold becomes 10,000, that should keep the player from starting out w/ too much cash.

As for prestige, it sounds like it'll be connected to a country's prestige level while piety is connected to who controls the Papacy.

Will culture convert over?

Also, I still think claims should transfer over as cores while certain territories for certain nations are also automatically cores. (like modern-day Portugual for kingdom of Portugal)

EU3 makes it very easy to develop cores on lands you hold (just wait 50 years) so there's no need to make all land holdings into cores, plus rewarding the player for obtaining claims would seem to make sense.

Last edited:
A few more suggestions....

1. Emperor trait should carry over and whoever has it should start out as the Holy Roman Emperor. If two or more living leaders with Emperor traits exist at the same time then it should go to the person with the highest prestige or (if equal), highest piety, then highest gold, then highest diplomacy stat.

2. Judaism exists as a religion in the game and some provinces are Jewish. There is also a mod for the Kazakh Jews. Although no Paradox games currently allow for Jewish-majority provinces, there was a discussion on the FTG forum a long time ago about allowing Judaism to transfer over to be fair. I think there should be an option that allows Judaism to transfer over like any other religion but if the game doesn't acknowledge Judaism as an option, to then make it be Muslim. (since the Jewish provinces are usually surrounded by heavily Muslim territories)

Also, I still think claims should transfer over as cores while certain territories for certain nations are also automatically cores. (like modern-day Portugual for kingdom of Portugal)

1) By the end of the game every nation generally has claims on half the map.
2) You never know where the POR tag is going to end up.

http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464420

Btw, a recent idea of mine was to give bonuses to certain "useless techs" which have no bonuses in game. (for example- academic disciplines) That gives the player extra goals to pursue and look forward to while playing CK and compensates for the lack of any bonuses those techs give. Certain "useless" religious ones could also move sliders closer to narrowminded or innovative or, if a player has both, could "balance out" the bonuses for each.

What do you think of that?

Sadly, the claims and Emperor ideas would take a good amount of coding, probably beyond my abilities (I'm not really a java guy, I just kind of hacked in the needed changes).

As for making useless techs useful in conversion: I'm in favor. The best part is that that's all in cvdata.txt, so you can try out those ideas and let me know what works. :-D

I'm also really bad at knowing what game balance things might work. As much as I love these games, I'm really bad at them.

Actually Academic Disciplines does have a minor effect on cultural MTTH.

But given how late one would get it in the game, how minor the bonuses are, how much cultural spreading you'd have already done by the time you got it and the fact that it's unlikely the tech would even spread out from your capital to a non-cultural area in time for you to use that bonus to convert, I think it could easily be classified as "useless".

I'm not sure it'd really make sense to give any naval bonuses to conversion- or maybe they could just be equal to military ranking. I think techs should be set to start from level 1 to 4 (or 5- but 5 would require "perfect stats" tech-wise) based on tech levels in end-game capitals.

My suggestion is that Religious Stringency techs each shift you towards narrowminded while Religious Flexibility techs shift you towards innovative. This could also have effects on Serfdom vs. Free Subjects.

Profane Art vs. Religious art could also give points towards innovative vs. narrowminded.

Siege Weapons and Defensive Tactics could each give points towards Defensive, while Slash Weapons and Offensive Tactics could each give points toward Offensive.

Noble Customs could each give points to Nobility while Popular Customs could each give points to Plutocracy.

Land and Naval sliders should be set at neutral since there's absolutely no ship combat in the game.

Perhaps Naval tech level could be set at whatever the highest level of shipyard in the capital is. 1 for no shipyard, 2 for a small one, 3 for a medium one and 4 for a large one. (with an additional level 5 if every Weapons stat is maxed)

Government tech could be based on Schools and Thought tech with levels 3 and 5 in each each giving one extra points towards government tech.

I would set Production bonuses to give +1 to at least a level 4 tech in... Farming Equipment, Cattle Herding, Handicraft, Mining, with an extra bonus if all level 5 bonuses are held.

Commerce Institutions could each give one point to mercantilism while Fairs and Routes each give one point to free trade.

I'd probably reward Emperor to whichever country has the highest Prestige and give Papal Controller to whichever country has the highest Piety.

IDEAS FOR LAW EFFECTS

(not sure about how other inheritance laws should be reflected- maybe ones which allow female tracing can be given slighty innovative bonuses)
Semisalic Consanguinity = +1 Centralization, -1 Nobility
Elective Law = +3 Nobility, -2 Centralization

Royal Prerogative = +2 Centralization, -1 Nobility
Feudal Contract = -2 Centralization, +2 Nobility
Traditional Custom = (no effect)
Popular Law = +2 Free Subjects, -1 Centralization

Regal Supremacy = +2 Innovative, +1 Centralization
Church Supremacy = +2 Narrowminded, -1 Centralization

Last edited:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323327

Also, here's information on a recent converter that got finished.

I'd still encourage you to finish your converter though- it's good to offer the fans more variety. Or, it could be possible to take his converter and modify it to your perspectives. In the end, fans can check out each converter and decide which one they feel is best- more choice is always good.

Also, here's information on a recent converter that got finished.

Yvesp's conversion mod - the one you linked to - was the baseline for my CK->EU3 save game converter, which supports vanilla, NA, and IN. My save game converter was the baseline for this one.

To my knowledge, Yvesp's conversion mod has not been updated for HttT.

He sent me a pm. He said....

"I am the author of a converter. Actually, it is at the root of the save game convertor you mention.

It builds a mod to be used as a starting situation from a CK saved game.

It (should) work for all expansions up to and including IN. When I get the time, and someone fills in the required map data, I'll upgrade it to HttT.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=323327

Yves "

You should contact him, maybe you two could work together on the mod to find the best formula.

http://editthis.info/CrusaderKings/..._Files_to_chronologically_later_Paradox_Games

Also, I really hope that issues with Judaism being transferred over as a religion get fixed.

Last edited: