Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Running down to the corner store for a pack of smokes. Back soon.

I'm back. The battle continues.

Unfortunately, the two Prix squadrons are still more than 15 m-km beyond the (modified) range of our Mine-layers. There is a real chance that they won't be able to come up in time to cooperate with the fleet, despite the fact that we've been attempting to draw each Prix squadron into their range ever since the enemy was first spotted.

If we manage to inflict enough damage to slow the Prix ships down below our own top speed, and then run out of missiles, the three Mine-layers can then come up and finish them off with those MIRV-ed boomers of theirs.

Bandit-2 and Bandit-3 have now crossed into the "nominal" range of my Mine-layers... by which I mean, the range at which I could open fire if the Prix were NOT equipped with ECM. I suppose I could set up a shot just to SEE if these particular classes (Temujin and Genghis) have ECM equipment, but I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't.

Bandit-2 and Bandit-3 have now crossed into the "nominal" range of my Mine-layers... by which I mean, the range at which I could open fire if the Prix were NOT equipped with ECM. I suppose I could set up a shot just to SEE if these particular classes (Temujin and Genghis) have ECM equipment, but I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't.

Take a shot! Are minelayers outranging our main battlegroup now?

Bandit-2 (two Temujin class) is holding course for our Battle Fleet. Bandit-3 (one Genghis class) has turned off to chase the Rocks.

Still waiting for the Reptiles to determine whether or not they have a firing solution.

Are minelayers outranging our main battlegroup now?

No. The Bandits have been within nominal range of our Battle Fleet for some time... they are just not within effective range, modified by ECM.

Yeah, as expected, the Temujins have ECM-40. Can't lock on them until I get within 18.9 m-km

I might as well try to lock on the Genghis, but I'm sure it's the same story there, too.

EDIT: Yup... same story: ECM-40, no lock until I reach 18.9 m-km. I'm at 31 m-km now. It's gonna be a LONG 12 million kilometers...

Keep the good fight up!

You think it will be able to get the fleet out of the system in one piece for rearm and resupply?

Depends on how much PD they've got.

We've got about seven or eight full fleet salvos left, plus change, plus the Mine-Layers, plus our PD armament :p

In theory, that's enough to kill these three clowns a couple of times over. But not if they've got effective PD defense.

We've got about seven or eight full fleet salvos left, plus change, plus the Mine-Layers, plus our PD armament :p

In theory, that's enough to kill these three clowns a couple of times over. But not if they've got effective PD defense.

Three alien clowns

3payasos2.jpg

Well fingers crossed for no PD defences :p

Yeah, as expected, the Temujins have ECM-40. Can't lock on them until I get within 18.9 m-km

I might as well try to lock on the Genghis, but I'm sure it's the same story there, too.

EDIT: Yup... same story: ECM-40, no lock until I reach 18.9 m-km. I'm at 31 m-km now. It's gonna be a LONG 12 million kilometers...

I see, well both ECM/anti-ECM technology does seems to worth it to look upon if we have spare labs somehow, but cant we offset it cheaper just by installing some excess range fire controls on our future designs? (and maybe we will salvage something of use from Prix warships if all goes smoothly)

Also I would say fighters performed admirably, even if not what exactly we were planning them to do, but superior firepower design is the way to go and they will get only better as the next propulsion tech comes online increasing range and speed of both fighters and their armament.

"I have not yet begun to fight!"

Rear Admiral Edzako out.

Bandit-2 and Bandit-3 now 7 m-km from the Rocks, 14 m-km from the Battle-Fleet, 29 m-km from the Mine-Sweepers. We may lose the Rocks to their Beam weapons before the Prix come into our firing range. It's going to be tight.

but cant we offset it cheaper just by installing some excess range fire controls on our future designs?

Yeah, missile fire control's are relatively cheap. I'm quite sure Emu could easily pull 50m km fire control with size 2. Even after the research costs (was it 15000 for first level ECCM?) the actual component for ECCM still takes 1.5 hull space, so extended range FC would still be cheaper/more space efficient.

I habitually have about 40% extra on my FC, both to counter ECM a bit and give room for growth.

I'm back. The battle continues.

Unfortunately, the two Prix squadrons are still more than 15 m-km beyond the (modified) range of our Mine-layers. There is a real chance that they won't be able to come up in time to cooperate with the fleet, despite the fact that we've been attempting to draw each Prix squadron into their range ever since the enemy was first spotted.

If we manage to inflict enough damage to slow the Prix ships down below our own top speed, and then run out of missiles, the three Mine-layers can then come up and finish them off with those MIRV-ed boomers of theirs.
May I ask why we gave our mine-layers such awing weaponry?