• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Occupation Policies, there has been much talk about those stripes on the map, so let’s talk a little bit about them. Many of you have noticed the stripes to denote the difference between those provinces that you occupy and those that you actually own. We did this for some very good reasons.

One of the more unsatisfactory things with HoI2 was the end of the war, or more exactly no matter how hard you tried you never could quite get the borders looking right. Well now we part of the problem solved already. With the underlying borders sitting there we only have to worry about those provinces that change ownership like Germany and Poland for example. This cuts down the permutations dramatically, allowing a Hearts of Iron 3 post war Europe to look more like a post war Europe. Although since we don’t know what you the player are actually going to do with your game we in way shape or form guarantee that post war Europe will look like post war Europe. All we have done is set up a system that cope better minor deviations from the time line.

The other logic for this system is allowing occupation policies to vary according to the country. This is another part of Heart of Iron 2 that is rather unsatisfactory everywhere was always the same. Now you have the option of varying the occupation policy by country, the game knows where these countries are thanks to those nifty stripes you see on the map. The harsher your policy the more resources and partisans you get from a country but the less manpower and leadership. This allows you to do a number of neat things. Firstly during conquest you can throttle back the occupation policy allowing you to focus more on conquering and less on your lines of communication. The second is that there will be some countries that from an economic point of view aren’t valuable but are worth holding for strategic reasons. Take Denmark as an example, not exactly Europe’s industrial powerhouse. With the variable occupation policy you can be lighter on a country like Denmark, reducing the need for garrisons, allowing you to divert garrisons to areas of greater economic value.

The third addition is how partisans work. Instead of being an instant value, it has a base value that it gradually moves towards. So instead of being a set number it is a gradual process. This is far more realistic, instead of instant partisans the minute you occupy territory it takes time for resistance movements to organise themselves. It also means that if you decide to be nice to the people the won’t simply pack their bags and go home, the partisans will keep fighting on at the same rate for a while, until the reduction in local support reduces their operational efficiency.

beta_may_13.jpg

Woo. When will you put a countdown timer on gamers gate? :cool:

What are the occupational policies that we can pick between? Are those moddable?

Great, and once again very logical solution to a puzzling problem. Well done! :cool:

Wow, excellent Dev. Diary, as always.

One question -- say I am invading the Soviet Union as Germany. Obviously, this takes a long time to do, so while I am doing so, do I then set my occupation policy, or do I have to be at peace (i.e., have some sort of cease-fire in place) or can I set my occupational policy during the war with the country I am already partly occupying?

I see both Denmark and Norway has a Collaboration Government. The Norwegian legitimate government and king fled to England and led the opposition from there. The Danish ones stayed put. Shouldn't there be some further differentiation there?

I would propose that you have illegitimate and legitimate collaboration governments with legitimate ones only possible during certain criteria or by event.

Wow, excellent Dev. Diary, as always.

One question -- say I am invading the Soviet Union as Germany. Obviously, this takes a long time to do, so while I am doing so, do I then set my occupation policy, or do I have to be at peace (i.e., have some sort of cease-fire in place) or can I set my occupational policy during the war with the country I am already partly occupying?

You can set occupation policy the minute you occupy a province.

I see both Denmark and Norway has a Collaboration Government. The Norwegian legitimate government and king fled to England and led the opposition from there. The Danish ones stayed put. Shouldn't there be some further differentiation there?

I would propose that you have illegitimate and legitimate collaboration governments with legitimate ones only possible during certain criteria or by event.

No

I like the partisans :D

Wait a minute...

POLITICS
< Expert >

What's that in the upper right corner?

An what will happen with those Occupied Countries when War reaches end, will some be auto-annexed, for example Total Exploitation Poland, and others become Puppets as Collaborationist Government Denmark?

Nice:)