• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Places where there are a lot of heathen heads to bash.

Poland in 1066 is good, not too hard and lots of pagans to bash (and if you are still playing in 200 years, lots of mongols to bash/be bashed by).

I've seen many suggestions that you start 10-20 years after 1066 though for a more historic middle east (after the byzantines have lost most of asia minor).

I'm told that for a more advanced player the Kingdom of Jerusalem after 1100 is good.

I'm told that for a more advanced player the Kingdom of Jerusalem after 1100 is good.

IMO, 1119ish is the most interesting start for KOJ. Good King, Antoich a vassal.. you're strong enough to fend off the usual AI Jihad gangbang a few months after game start and prime position to expand. Possible succession crisis if not careful.

alright maybe a little late to this thread but, 769 start, the countess of Deniyya in eastern Iberia; She is the only catholic countess in the Umayyad Sultanate. and to boot shes 69 >:) and heiress. Top Priority is doing everything you can to produce an heir, after that irs basically taking over other counties, then duchies, then when the Umayyad demands you return land and you have good strong allies, BREAK FREE AS ARAGON!

For me it has to be Ostlandet. Great way to just blob inatantly and reform faith. Though you gotta be careful.

Dat necromancy.

For real, this absolutely needed a new thread. Most of the other responses from 4+ years ago are probably irrelevant in the current form of the game.

Reactions:
1) Create a Custom Lord with either a Cathar or Fractelli Religon Heresy in the County of Orvieto, the only county in the Duchy of Latium not controlled by the pope at the earliest DLC start date. Option 1) Save Exit Then Reload as Lombard King and Grant Independence to the count or Option 2) Fight for independence using the following method. Then (Warning: Console Command Self Control Needed) use console commands to give you just enough money to hire a large army of mercenaries (For Realism Use Italian, Lombard or Swiss). Declare a Holy War for Latium, raise the Merc Army, and win the war before too many catholic powers get involved. Now you're the Independent Heretic Duke of Latium, poised to build a custom Empire of Rome. Bonus: Instead of Cathar or Fracteli, become Orthodox or Iconoclast and after gaining full independence and control of Rome, swear fealty to Byztantium and work your way through the empire to become Emperor and reestablish Rome through Legacy of Rome DLC.

2) The "What those idiots should have done if they weren't so hung up on religion" play through. Play as the King of Jerusalem, using the start that doesn't give you the full Kingdom but instead a sliver of it as it is about to be destroyed. Then Swear Fealty to the shrinking Byzantine Empire and convert to orthodoxy, challenging you from bringing the Byzantine Empire from it's smallest start to reestablishing room and reuniting the Pentarchy.

3) Believe it or not there is a County/Duchy of Jews in Ethiopia Semine or Axum depending on the date. 769/867/1066 are the best to start as, but for added interestingness, swear fealty to the King of Abbysia on the earlier start dates, Save, Switch, and Reload as that King and revoke Gideon's (The Ruler's) Titles, then install him as a mayor in a coastal city, give him the duchy of Axum and his old provinces back, grant his independence, and Now your have a large Jewish Merchant Republic (Maybe even a Kindom level title in the near future) in east Africa right on a silk road sea route. Will you charge forward and reclaim Jerselem with your merchant fleets? or will you dominate Indian Market places with your wares? Perhaps both? Reclaim your birth right Son of Abraham!!

4) Straightforward, take advantage of tribal mechanics and use a custom ruler to bring a Slavic Sunii Merchant Republic in Ireland or a German Pagan Roman to power on the steps of Asia, even a Catholic Roman conclave in west Africa! Sparingly use consol commands to give you enough Cash and Prestige to get you started.

5) Take a look at religions that have been wiped out and can have their priesthood restored through a specific set of requirements.

6) The Kingdom/Republic of Switzerland, at the earliest start Chur, St Gallens, Arengau, Neunchatler, Schwyz, Bern, Valias, Savoy, Geneve, and Bourogn roughly make up the area of Switzerland. Jump in and out of liege lords to give your character control of the provinces (If you want a Republic, Use Genoa or more uniquely Nice/Monaco or Corsica/Baptista to first establish the merchant Republic. After you are independent choose what to do next, or rather than set it up, work tirelessly as the Count of Scwyz to establish it. (Caution, the Duchy of Upper Burgendy, Savoy, and Alememenia will have divided up the providences at the earliest start date and it makes it very challenging to try to carve out Switzerland with out some work around. Bonus: Use the Swiss Company and the Swiss Band mercenary companies, maybe even try to land them. BONUS:BONUS: Figure out a away to play as the Landed head of the Knights Templar and use them to somehow establish a merchant republic of Switzerland (Its a Myth the the Knight Templar were behind the Swiss revolution but hey why not make it happen?

Sicily remains fun even in the current patches and Norman's just got snazzy new portraits.

I have had a lot of fun with trying to reform the Germanic faith as one of the England based realms (Ivar is harder than Halfdan). They really need the reform to stand up to the Catholics long term.

one of my most fun playthroughs was when i played a count in wales Gwyned i think its spelt,anyways the ruler is kinda old but his sons usually 30-40ish afterboth of them lived out their lives the son who had amazing stats began to unify wales and had 4 kids 3 girls and one son however one son was murdered by my jewish spymaster who i banished snce he had tons of gold for some reason lol he had like 31 intrigue too.The youngest daughter died at the age of 4-5 when epidemics hit which my ruler ended up with cancer and he died at the age of 27 i was so sad he was pretty damn good too :(

So all i had left in the dynasty was my rulers brother and 2 sisters(married them off to karlings both of them were homosexuals too so they never had kids lol) the brother ended up incapable at some point and died

the 2 daughters i had left were twins and i had to suffer a 10-12 year regency(that sucked and i had a fear of them being assassinated all that time after the fiasco of the spymaster)

but they made it to adulthood and conquest of wales resumed.

my new ruler was homosexual :/ i tried to see if she would have kids but she never did as a new epidemic came as i was close to forming wales so we hid in our castles my sister fell ill and died first then illness claimed my ruler it was a sad day,and so my last surviving reletive took over and she was 68 years old at this point with 2 kids not of her dynasty and she had the depressed trait lol so to mark the end of my playthrough i went on one ast carousing feast then commited suicide and so ended my dynasty was a lot of fun.

I suggest two characters. One is King of Great Moravia in 876. You have to face pagan enemy from the north, and the Bavaria Kingdom from the south. Your vassals have different faith with you. Hang on.
Another is King of France in 1066. Here is a poet for the poor boy:
William do not invade England,
Sons and daughters for Aquitaine.
Title challenged by Champagne,
Flanders revolt again.
The uncle's not the content one,
Claim of the Kingdom's at his hand.
The emperor want you to understand,
Your infamy has reached to Khitan.

Third Necro incoming.

I'd like advice on interesting characters to play. I have ~350 hours in CK2 but I normally play either: British, form Britannia then dominate; Norse, reform Germanic and dominate; or start as a lowly Catholic count/Duke and see how high I can rise.

I've done a couple of Byzzie playthroughs, a few Muslim ones and even one in india. The real kicker though is that I just bought Jade Dragon on sale and my current joint empire of Sardinia and Byzantium doesn't really get much Chinese flavour.

I feel like I need to venture further east, so throw some suggestions at me, I tend to avoid the later bookmarks so I can get some serious playtime in a game.

Halfdan Whiteshirt is good in 867... my current game is in ironman with his dynasty, currently fylkir, own all of Brittania, denmark, pomerania, norway, sweden, Britanny, Lotharingia, France, and a vassal is conquering germany (who became Orthodox somehow). Vikings are overpowered once the "viking age" event fires.

Thanks for the suggestion, if I go Norse I normally start as Sigurdr Ring. I'd still like to steer clear of North and West Europe at least. Most of my action takes place up there.
I also do a ton of rome with shattered world and Ancient religions reborn... or Byz (Basil I in 867 is a easier start).
Charlemagne is also fairly easy-ish.

Third Necro incoming.

I'd like advice on interesting characters to play. I have ~350 hours in CK2 but I normally play either: British, form Britannia then dominate; Norse, reform Germanic and dominate; or start as a lowly Catholic count/Duke and see how high I can rise.

I've done a couple of Byzzie playthroughs, a few Muslim ones and even one in india. The real kicker though is that I just bought Jade Dragon on sale and my current joint empire of Sardinia and Byzantium doesn't really get much Chinese flavour.

I feel like I need to venture further east, so throw some suggestions at me, I tend to avoid the later bookmarks so I can get some serious playtime in a game.
India has several interesting dynasties.

If you want to bring back dead empires, there are three good candidates. In 769 there is the Karkota kingdom in Punjab, which is on its deathbed. You have a very powerful duke vassal, Muslim neighbours and a long way to go if you want to bring back the glory of your ancestors.
In the East, there is the Gupta dynasty who are vassals to the Pala kings. While the Guptas are just counts in 769, their family used to rule a larger area, and may have descended from one of the all-time greatest Indian dynasties.
There is also the Hunas dynasty. The last Hunas count is the last of the White Huns, and there is an achievement for restoring the empire of his ancestors. He is the count of Manyakheta in the Rasthrakuta kingdom in 769.

In southern India there are also interesting dynasties, namely the Tamil dynasties. Pandya, Chola and Chera are the three oldest dynasties in the game (Pandya is the oldest of the three). All three are over a thousand years old already when CK2 begins, and it's possible that they are even older than that. They are in the southern tip of India. They are either independent or vassals to each other depending on the start date. Chera also controls the only Christian county in India (Nestorian).

I really enjoy Ivar the Boneless, 867, Suðreyjar. Similar to Hvitserk, you start with little land and a Great Heathen Army, but unlike Jorvik, it's nearly anything-goes in the British Isles and you can end up with Scotland, or Ireland, or East Anglia, whatever you feel like and can successfully press.

I've had the most fun starting as the Count of Forez and Lyon...the de Forez family. At 1066 they start with two little counties so forming the Duchy of Dauphine is quite simple just need to save the money and then start gathering land to Form the Kingdom of Burgundy.

Its a bit challenging though as you fall under the HRE and your two starting areas border France, so can be a bit scary at times...but its definitely been my most fun playthrough thus far.

Oh, damn, yes. I played one game from 867 as Adalhard of Metz, House Chatenois, and inherited Vienne and expanded into Forez land but eventually vassalized them. The Chatenois and de Forez were, without a doubt, best frenemies forever. We supported and backstabbed each other so much, but always seemed to kiss and make up. There's so much churn in the area that I was Lotharingian, Burgundian, Aquitanian, and West Francian before becoming independent.

A huge challenge I've had (and if you've had 350 hours, you'll be up for this) is Strojmir, Chief of Meissen, 769. A Přemyslid, you start out as the son in the side branch of the rulers of Bohemia, on the fringes. You're Slavic, but border West Francia/HRE and Saxony. You're Bohemian, but your people are Pomeranian. I watched Pomerania conquer Saxony and then expand east. I've had to break free from Bohemia and join (Pomeranian) Saxony as Moravia steamrolled Bohemia, Poland support my conquests then try to take it for themselves, and try to keep the sleeping western beast appeased. Super challenging. Don't know how long it'll last, and whether I want to stop my cousins from trying to subjugate Saxony (which I swear, is constantly at war).